PDA

View Full Version : Take me back to your first show.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 07:34 PM
On this day 10 years ago I saw DMB live for the first time. I remember being extremely pumped since everything was so new and fresh for me at the time. It was DMB's first Fleetcenter show in Boston about 2 days before the band's first ever appearance at MSG in NYC.

Billies kicked off the show and to be quite honest with you...along with the performance itself...Fenton put on one hell of a light show.

I remember Dave mentioning he had a "frog in his throat" but he kept saying he was gonna try his best for the crowd that night. He didn't have a knife sticking out of his neck, but this was still a dedication on the level of such that you could tell he was trying his damndest to sing as bright and clear as he could while still being sick.

My seats weren't that great. Balcony to the side of Roi and Carter. But it was such an excitement that it didn't matter. I didn't need to see Dave's face, I didn't need to be right infront of Boyd. It was just seeing this band run through a set of energetic songs for an excited crowd that didn't see Nancies 20 times, a crowd that wasn't expecting a certain opener or closer. It was fun, new, exciting. The lights, seeing the band for the first time, being a part of this loud crowd cheering for songs that meant just as much for you as it did for them.

I think sometimes we tend to go to so many shows because we forget things. We don't forget the show, rather...the incredible moments sometimes fade from our memories and we have a hard time conjuring up a mental image of Boyd and Dave face to face during Nancies. Those moments as they happen...we swear they're bruned into our brains but then as the days go by, those images aren't as clear as they once were and we just want and need to see and feel that same excitement, and that's how it starts. The love for the live show snowballs into a yearly episode of multiple trips to various states and venues, hoping to catch that same excitement you did from years prior.

This was my first DMB show.

10/1/96

Tripping Billies
Two Step
Lie in Our Graves
So Much to Say
Dancing Nancies
Crash into Me
Help Myself
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Granny
Recently
Drive In, Drive Out »
Ants Marching
------------------
All Along the Watchtower

What was your first show like?

Popeye2003
10-01-2006, 07:36 PM
I hope my first show is half as good as your first was.

coachC
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
don't remember it. it was 98 at the meadows, passed out on the lawn. whoops

upandaway
10-01-2006, 07:38 PM
I got peed on at my first show...and accused of carrying crack cocaine when it was the people in front of me doing the chicken dance all night long... gotta love the lawn at tweeter center.

SomeDevil17
10-01-2006, 07:40 PM
12.3.2005,Joe Louis Arena Detroit, MI

1 Pig
2 The Best of What's Around
3 Stand Up (For It)
4 Dreamgir
5 Two Step
6 Lover Lay Down
7 Hunger for the Great Light
8 Dancing Nancies »
9 Warehouse salsa outro
10 Linus and Lucy »
11 Steady as We Go
12 Too Much scat outro
13 Smooth Rider
14 Jimi Thing "For What It's Worth" outro
15 Stay (Wasting Time)

16 Christmas Song Can't Buy Me Love/All You Need Is Love outro
17 The Dreaming Tree (tease) Dave, Stefan Dave strumming the intro
18 Old Dirt Hill (Bring That Beat Back)
19 What Would You Say

dnm315
10-01-2006, 07:42 PM
My first show was a great one although I had no idea what a few of the songs were at the time. It took me over a year to find out that Granny was the first encore song. I was a curious fan back then and this show, in particular the Nancies/Warehouse, got me hooked.

The Best of What's Around
#41 »
Say Goodbye
Two Step »
Crash into Me
Jimi Thing
Seek Up
Too Much
Dancing Nancies »
Rain intro »
Warehouse
Lie in Our Graves
Drive In, Drive Out »
Ants Marching
----------------
Granny
Tripping Billies

Behrend
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
7-26-98 SPAC

I had been a fan since 1997 but had not been able to see them.

I was terribly excited to see them and was shocked when I called up for tickets two weeks after they went onsale and they only had lawn seats - were these guys really that popular? Everyone I talked to about them didn't really know them. . .

Anyway -

I sat on the flat area on a blanket for the whole show back by the Spa building on the right side. Couldn't see the stage. Had to watch the whole thing on the video screen.

It was great. opened with Lie in Our Graves.

I thought they were geniuses b/c they were start the song with little intros that I thought they were making up as they went along. . .later I realized it was merely the things they always did. . but at the time it made them seem immortal. . .

Hearing alot of BTCS was awesome and the crowd + Dave's energy was great. I had never heard Watchtower before this show and had little knowledge of Seek Up (which I was instantly enthralled with) and STJL. . .

I was hooked. 57 shows later I'm still hooked.

here's the setlist:

Lie In Our Graves
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
Satellite
Stay
Dancing Nancies ...>
Warehouse
Seek Up
Crush
The Last Stop
Two Step
Crash Into Me
Anyone Seen the Bridge? ...>
Too Much
All Along The Watchtower
Encore:
The Song That Jane Likes
Tripping Billies

dm40band
10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
9.11.99 at Continental Airlines Arena

1 Heartbeat Intro »
2 Pantala Naga Pampa »
3 Rapunzel
4 Rhyme & Reason
5 The Stone
6 #41
7 Crash into Me
8 Jimi Thing
9 #36
10 Warehouse
11 Too Much
12 True Reflections
13 Two Step
14 Granny
15 Stay (Wasting Time)
16 #40
17 The Long Black Veil
18 Don't Drink the Water
19 Stefan solo »
20 All Along the Watchtower

pgr17
10-01-2006, 07:44 PM
my first show was on 6/15/96 at Starlake. was listening to the band for about two years and started tape trading in '95. bought lawn tickets for me and five other friends for $15 and we all drove down for the day. had a fun time in the parking lot and then moved onto the lawn to catch Ben Harper (who i just started listening to).

it is hard for me to remember exact moments of the show (i mean it was 10 years ago and i'm not brandon ;)), but i know i was pumped to hear Best Of What's Around to open the show. Two Step and Tripping Billies were both awesome. Too Much got a huge reception from the crowd along with Jimi Thing, Crash Into Me, Ants Marching and Watchtower.

i'd love to go back to that show now - especially with my WH seats - but i'm lucky enough to relive it through video as i was able to get a copy from the master copy of the guys that taped it.

i was hoping that my "10th anniversary show" this summer (SPAC N1) would provide me with something special and as it turns out we were lucky enough to be upgrade from 4th row in the pit to the 1st row. so 10 years later and still going strong...

cool thing that i learned from the almanac: "Ants Marching was played as a set closer every show this tour except for this one where it was played within the encore."

setlist:

Best Of What's Around, Recently, Two Step, Crash Into Me, Tripping Billies, #41, Say Goodbye, Drive In Drive Out, Cry Freedom, True Reflections, Jimi Thing, Too Much, Watchtower
e: Satellite, Ants Marching

--------

Brandon - i love that LIOG from your show. so good!

som3d3vil34
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
My seats weren't that great. Balcony to the side of Roi and Carter. But it was such an excitement that it didn't matter. I didn't need to see Dave's face, I didn't need to be right infront of Boyd. It was just seeing this band run through a set of energetic songs for an excited crowd that didn't see Nancies 20 times, a crowd that wasn't expecting a certain opener or closer. It was fun, new, exciting. The lights, seeing the band for the first time, being a part of this loud crowd cheering for songs that meant just as much for you as it did for them.

I think sometimes we tend to go to so many shows because we forget things. We don't forget the show, rather...the incredible moments sometimes fade from our memories and we have a hard time conjuring up a mental image of Boyd and Dave face to face during Nancies. Those moments as they happen...we swear they're bruned into our brains but then as the days go by, those images aren't as clear as they once were and we just want and need to see and feel that same excitement, and that's how it starts. The love for the live show snowballs into a yearly episode of multiple trips to various states and venues, hoping to catch that same excitement you did from years prior.

I think you are very right. The more shows we go to and the more we "like" the band, the more we want and expect from them. You make a great point.

You should post this on Fonzies myspace. It would make his day after that Jared thing. haha

bbycrei
10-01-2006, 07:47 PM
4-10-02 Philly, PA
What Would You Say *
Raven *
Too Much *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
When The World Ends *
You Never Know *
I Did It *
Grace Is Gone *
The Stone *
Lie In Our Graves *
If I Had It All *
Drive In Drive Out *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *
Encore:
Where Are You Going *
Don’t Drink the Water *
* with Butch Taylor on keys

Ok so I was comming from a track meet where I was dead tired, I ran well but was coughing like crazy. Made it to the show where I was behind the stage and had a decent of the view. The smoking was nuts and driving me crazy especially after running. I did not know much of the band's music except the radio songs and Listener Supported. I remember really getting into Raven. Stone was nice and I just remember Boyd going crazy during one song which I later found out was LIOG. Butch's solo really got me ready to fall asleep. The BEF->Bartender->PNP->Rapunzel was pretty good, didn't recognize the Heartbeat intro in the middle for some reason.

I had a good time and I really wanted to listen to more to hear as many songs as I could. got into trading very quickly after and here I am now.

som3d3vil34
10-01-2006, 07:50 PM
This was 04.23.02. I wasn't a huge fan back then, so I didnt realize how memorable them opening with #40 was. Also I remember hearing You Never Know for the first time and loving it. I liked Pig before this, but after seeing it live I realized just how great of a song it is.

#40 (Tease)
So Much To Say
When the World Ends
You Never Know
Warehouse
Raven
Crush
What You Are
One Sweet World
Too Much
Grey Street
Grace Is Gone
Jimi Thing
Pig
Where Are You Going
Two Step
Encore:
The Space Between
Tripping Billies

mr.mike
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
6/2/98 Riverbend Music Center

Left school right after exams in my buddies mom's van and headed straight to Cincy. I had been listening to the band since sometime in 97 when my buddy let me hear R2T. Anyway we had lawn seats. Being my first concert I didn't know what to expect, but soon after arriving I fell in love with not just DMB but with music itself.

Poi Dog Pondering came out and started to play. I was taking every moment of this experience in, from the old man next to me smoking a joint and passing more around to everyone to the guy infront of me taking hits of acid, the people all around me were having fun and so was I. The band finally comes out with a roar from the crowd that I had never heard before. From the first strum of Recently on, my life changed. I couldn't see a thing through the whole concert cause Riverbend's lawn sucks and well it was pretty damn smokey and didn't care. I was there, hearing my new favorite band live at my first concert, with a bunch of cool ass people. From that show on I have continued to see the band with the only expectation of having fun.

Recently
The Best Of What's Around
PNP->
Rapunzel
Don't Drink The Water
Crush
Lover Lay Down
Lie In Our Graves
One Sweet World
Stay
The Last Stop
Sattellite
Crash
Anyone Seen The Bridge->
Too Much
Tripping

Typical Situation
Two Step

vandamit
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Alpine Valley Music Theatre
East Troy, WI

What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
The Song That Jane Likes
Granny
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken)
Two Step
Digging a Ditch
Bartender
Grey Street
All Along the Watchtower
One Sweet World (instrumental intro)
JTR
Tripping Billies
Encore:
Grace Is Gone
Ants Marching

bsan83
10-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Brandon, I think I got that show from you years back for a buddy of mine whos first show it was. Good, fun show. I love those fall '96 Watchtowers, how Boyd goes from plucking to bowing and the band comes back in little by little.

So my first show was Foxboro Stadium, 7.8.00. I had wanted to catch them for a couple of years at that point, and finally joined the WH, got tickets, and caught them that year. We got to the Foxboro lots at around 2 in the afternoon, and had a long day of grilling and tailgating before getting in to see Ben Harper's set. I was on the other side of the stadium in the 100s, so I was basically watching the screens from afar. DMB comes on and they opened with Seek Up, a tune I was only vaguely familiar with the chorus of as it was my buddy's favorite song at the time. It was long. Real long. At the end, I asked my buddy next to me if they jam everything out like that. :lol

I remember What Would You Say having a real nice groove, and being surprised when Rhyme and Reason followed at the number of old tunes they opened the set with (I figured, like most bands, that I'd be getting one or two of their old tunes over the course of a set and then mostly new stuff). Out of said new tunes, I was floored by Grey Street. Once they finished that, I was practically jumping up and down and exclaiming to my buddy that we just heard the next Ants.

I remember going to get a drink, and then being pissed as I got back to my seat, as I missed the first half fo #41, getting back in time to only catch Leroi's solo. (Fortunately, the band graciously made this up to me by opening with it 3 days later at Giants Stadium). I remember being kind of surprised that, of all tunes, Stay closed, mostly because I rarely listened to BTCS at that point and it was kind of an afterthought. I expected more along the likes of Billies or Ants (which closed the encore). Little did I know that Ants would be proceeded by the only #40 I would catch to date.

So all in all, it was a nice first show. Got a fair share of Under the Table material, one new tune in particular that I fell in love with, DMB classic jams like Seek Up and #41, and topped it all off with the quintessential DMB tune to close. They brought me in beyond radio fandom there, and it would be 3 days later at Giants Stadium that this band had me absolutely hooked.

Setlist:
Seek Up
Song That Jane Likes
What Would You Say
Rhyme and Reason
Crash Into Me
Bartender
Grey Street
Jimi Thing
Digging a Ditch
JTR +
Long Black Veil +
ASTB --> Too Much
True Reflections +
Stay +
---------------
Grace is Gone
Ants Marching

+ - Lovely Ladies
Most of set with Butch Taylor

KiWiNiCk
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
I was front row center and sung every word of every song. I felt like a 16 year old girl at a Beatles concert in the sixties. I also remember not actually sitting in my seat at all. Also Dave looked at me!!!!!!!!:hump

lude
10-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Gorge Night 1 just over two years years ago. Went with my girlfriend and two other couples from college. Got there just in time to get a nice place on the back of lawn. It was a great show for a newbie like me to be at. Had a great time. Now explain to me why I didn't stay for the other two nights.
09/03/2004
Dave Matthews Band
Gorge Amphitheatre
George, WA

Don’t Burn The Pig
One Sweet World
Hello Again
Satellite
What Would You Say
Bartender
Drive In Drive Out
When The World Ends
Sugar Will
Grey Street
Joy Ride
Loving Wings
Where Are You Going
Jimi Thing
Tripping Billies

Encore:
Granny
Warehouse

FishMonkeyMan
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
june 6th will be my tenth anniversary.. and that was spac 97.

dmb 427x450
10-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Giants Stadium jun/12/2001

Don't Drink the Water
So Right *
Rhyme & Reason
Satellite *
JTR *+
When The World Ends *
So Much To Say * -->
(Anyone Seen the Bridge?) * -->
Too Much *
Long Black Veil *+
Mother Father *+
The Space Between *+
Jimi Thing
Recently
Digging a Ditch
Everyday (#36) *+
Fool To Think *+
I Did It *+
All Along the Watchtower
encore:
#40 ^
Waste ^
Tripping Billies *
* Butch Taylor on keys
+ Tawatha, Cindy & Brenda
^ Dave solo

I was with my 2 friends at the time (who I do not talk to anymore) and my father (who has seen dmb 3-4 times since Giants). We were amazed at how many hot girls were wearing basically no clothing, the amount of Ambercrombie worn by guys and girls alike, and amount of pot/beer in the parking lot. We had dead center seats just all across the feild. It was a good time. I didn't know half the music. I wanted to go back for the show on the 13th but my old man wouldn't let me. Since Giants-2001 Ive seen dmb 21 times... man was that a good night.

malachite00
10-01-2006, 08:04 PM
My first show where DMB headlined was Red Rocks 1995. I didn't really know any songs except WWYS, which they didn't even play, but the whole experience was so incredible.

Red Rocks is amazing in itself, then throw in that we were right in the middle around the 5th row. They started with Seek Up, and it felt like they just segued into and out of that for the whole 2+ hours (ok, it was a long time ago, and I may have been drinking/smoking a little). I remember thinking that Boyd looked like he was vibrating during Nancies he was jamming so hard. Really wish I could remember it all better!

ubttufck
10-01-2006, 08:11 PM
July 28, 2000
Coors Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA

#41 *
The Song That Jane Likes *
Satellite *
Little Thing [first verse & chorus] -->
Ants Marching *
One Sweet World (instrumental intro) *
Rhyme & Reason *
Grey Street *
Warehouse (stop time intro) *
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken) *
Seek Up *
Lie In Our Graves *
Bartender *
Drive In, Drive Out *
JTR *
Two Step *
Encore:
Grace Is Gone *
All Along the Watchtower *

I remember asking my brother on the way out, "Does every guy in the band HAVE to take a solo on every single song?!?" I mostly remember a dude that looked like Tony Danza who brought his family and parked it right next to me on the lawn. His two little kids (a boy and a girl, ~6 or 7 years old) were tongue kissing the mom and each other and acting like animals. By the first song, the boy had rolled all over the nachos Tony Danza bought and had cheese all in his hair. It was as disgusting as it sounds. And I loved it.

EClayton08
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM

Warehouse
Granny
Don't Drink the Water
When the World Ends
JTR
Angel
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge? »
Too Much
Everyday
I Did It
True Reflections
If I Had It All
What You Are
Ants Marching
All Along the Watchtower

btuthill
10-01-2006, 08:16 PM
6.3.01. i wasnt familair with too much outside of the lillywhite sessions and btcs, so i wasnt going to pay much attention to the show. add to that the fact that i went with a group of skanky girls a grade lower than me and made out with a few of them for much of the show. i didnt pay attention to anything until the chubby girl tried to give me a handjob and i freaked out and moved away and watched a few songs.

i liked it so much, i skipped class the next day to buy tickets for 6.4.01.

michaelamici
10-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Toad's Place
10/3/94
New Haven, Ct
1 One Sweet World
3 The Song That Jane Likes
4 Dancing Nancies »
5 Warehouse
6 Satellite
7 Rhyme & Reason
8 Say Goodbye
9 Jimi Thing
10 Pay for What You Get
11 What Would You Say
12 Two Step »
13 Ants Marching
14 All Along the Watchtower
15 Halloween

deedisdone81
10-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Don't Drink The Water
Crush
One Sweet World W/ Instrumental Intro
If I had it All
When The World Ends -->
Crash Into Me
The Best of Whats Around
Ants Marching
Minarets
Help Myself
Say Goodbye
Rhyme & Reason
Loving Wings -->
Where Are You Going
True Reflections
Too Much

Encore:
So Much To Say -->
ASTB -->
PNP -->
Rapunzel

My girlfriend got tickets to this show and I remember it being pretty fun, I really had no idea that this would become the beginning of the obsession I have today! The one thing I do remember from the show is that even me being a noob since it was my first show, these 2 kids behind me tapped me on the shoulder as Loving Wings started to ask me if the song was a cover, and I just gave them an eye roll and laughed. Highlights were Minarets, True Reflections, and SMTS --> Rapunzel even though that rapunzel was a trainwreck.

skippapotamus
10-01-2006, 08:21 PM
wasn't till 01. It was despite Everyday, rather than because of it. It was the end of my college year, and I just figured I'd go. I'd listened to so much live, after listening to releases since 95, and figured it'd been stupid of me not to go catch shows before that, and I was right. Not the best year to have caught them locally, and I wasn't aware enough at the time to know that Waste was kinda special. Also, this was without Butch, which I don't recall being odd at the time, not knowing better. I drove down and bought seats from a scalper at the back of the reserved section and had a hell of a time.

Dave Matthews Band
May 1, 2001
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC

When the World Ends
What Would You Say
Rhyme and Reason
So Right
Sleep to Dream Her
Grace Is Gone
I Did It
Everyday
All Along The Watchtower
What You Are
Jimi Thing
JTR
If I Had It All
True Reflections
Two Step
Encore:
Waste
Tripping Billies

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:23 PM
I hope my first show is half as good as your first was.

I hope it is too Art. You(and everyone else outside the US) deserve some really great shows.

My first show was a great one although I had no idea what a few of the songs were at the time. It took me over a year to find out that Granny was the first encore song. I was a curious fan back then and this show, in particular the Nancies/Warehouse, got me hooked.

#41 »
Say Goodbye
Two Step »
Crash into Me
Jimi Thing
Seek Up
Too Much
Dancing Nancies »
Rain intro »
Warehouse
Lie in Our Graves
Drive In, Drive Out »
Ants Marching
----------------
Granny
Tripping Billies

Excellent show. It's not hard to fathom that for most of us, seeing Nancies live really threw us into this fandom. Great lookin' set.

7-26-98 SPAC

I had been a fan since 1997 but had not been able to see them.

I was terribly excited to see them and was shocked when I called up for tickets two weeks after they went onsale and they only had lawn seats - were these guys really that popular? Everyone I talked to about them didn't really know them. . .

Anyway -

I sat on the flat area on a blanket for the whole show back by the Spa building on the right side. Couldn't see the stage. Had to watch the whole thing on the video screen.

It was great. opened with Lie in Our Graves.

I thought they were geniuses b/c they were start the song with little intros that I thought they were making up as they went along. . .later I realized it was merely the things they always did. . but at the time it made them seem immortal. . .

Hearing alot of BTCS was awesome and the crowd + Dave's energy was great. I had never heard Watchtower before this show and had little knowledge of Seek Up (which I was instantly enthralled with) and STJL. . .

I was hooked. 57 shows later I'm still hooked.

here's the setlist:

Lie In Our Graves
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
Satellite
Stay
Dancing Nancies ...>
Warehouse
Seek Up
Crush
The Last Stop
Two Step
Crash Into Me
Too Much
All Along The Watchtower
Encore:
The Song That Jane Likes
Tripping Billies

:upyours :upyours

my first show was on 6/15/96 at Starlake. was listening to the band for about two years and started tape trading in '95. bought lawn tickets for me and five other friends for $15 and we all drove down for the day. had a fun time in the parking lot and then moved onto the lawn to catch Ben Harper (who i just started listening to).

it is hard for me to remember exact moments of the show (i mean it was 10 years ago and i'm not brandon ;)), but i know i was pumped to hear Best Of What's Around to open the show. Two Step and Tripping Billies were both awesome. Too Much got a huge reception from the crowd along with Jimi Thing, Crash Into Me, Ants Marching and Watchtower.

i'd love to go back to that show now - especially with my WH seats - but i'm lucky enough to relive it through video as i was able to get a copy from the master copy of the guys that taped it.

i was hoping that my "10th anniversary show" this summer (SPAC N1) would provide me with something special and as it turns out we were lucky enough to be upgrade from 4th row in the pit to the 1st row. so 10 years later and still going strong...

cool thing that i learned from the almanac: "Ants Marching was played as a set closer every show this tour except for this one where it was played within the encore."

setlist:

Best Of What's Around, Recently, Two Step, Crash Into Me, Tripping Billies, #41, Say Goodbye, Drive In Drive Out, Cry Freedom, True Reflections, Jimi Thing, Too Much, Watchtower
e: Satellite, Ants Marching

--------

Brandon - i love that LIOG from your show. so good!

Nice read Phil, and great show! And yeah the LIOG from 10/1/96 is really solid.

4-10-02 Philly, PA
What Would You Say *
Raven *
Too Much *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
When The World Ends *
You Never Know *
I Did It *
Grace Is Gone *
The Stone *
Lie In Our Graves *
If I Had It All *
Drive In Drive Out *
Big Eyed Fish -->
Bartender *
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *
Encore:
Where Are You Going *
Don’t Drink the Water *

Ok so I was comming from a track meet where I was dead tired, I ran well but was coughing like crazy. Made it to the show where I was behind the stage and had a decent of the view. The smoking was nuts and driving me crazy especially after running. I did not know much of the band's music except the radio songs and Listener Supported. I remember really getting into Raven. Stone was nice and I just remember Boyd going crazy during one song which I later found out was LIOG. Butch's solo really got me ready to fall asleep. The BEF->Bartender->PNP->Rapunzel was pretty good, didn't recognize the Heartbeat intro in the middle for some reason.

I had a good time and I really wanted to listen to more to hear as many songs as I could. got into trading very quickly after and here I am now.

Awesome show for your first Eric. Thanks for the read.

FiddySpence
10-01-2006, 08:25 PM
5-31-98 maryland heights. don't remember much at all, i was 11 and ha lawn seats with my mom and she wasn't happy with the excessive swearing in too much and the stone (yeah the stone, some improv lyrics).

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:29 PM
This was 04.23.02. I wasn't a huge fan back then, so I didnt realize how memorable them opening with #40 was. Also I remember hearing You Never Know for the first time and loving it. I liked Pig before this, but after seeing it live I realized just how great of a song it is.

#40 (Tease)
So Much To Say
When the World Ends
You Never Know
Warehouse
Raven
Crush
What You Are
One Sweet World
Too Much
Grey Street
Grace Is Gone
Jimi Thing
Pig
Where Are You Going
Two Step
Encore:
The Space Between
Tripping Billies

And being that YNK was still so fresh, still would be today considering the amount times they've played it, is also a great thing to look back on. Awesome show man. All those April '02 shows were so great.

6/2/98 Riverbend Music Center

Left school right after exams in my buddies mom's van and headed straight to Cincy. I had been listening to the band since sometime in 97 when my buddy let me hear R2T. Anyway we had lawn seats. Being my first concert I didn't know what to expect, but soon after arriving I fell in love with not just DMB but with music itself.

Poi Dog Pondering came out and started to play. I was taking every moment of this experience in, from the old man next to me smoking a joint and passing more around to everyone to the guy infront of me taking hits of acid, the people all around me were having fun and so was I. The band finally comes out with a roar from the crowd that I had never heard before. From the first strum of Recently on, my life changed. I couldn't see a thing through the whole concert cause Riverbend's lawn sucks and well it was pretty damn smokey and didn't care. I was there, hearing my new favorite band live at my first concert, with a bunch of cool ass people. From that show on I have continued to see the band with the only expectation of having fun.

Recently
The Best Of What's Around
PNP->
Rapunzel
Don't Drink The Water
Crush
Lover Lay Down
Lie In Our Graves
One Sweet World
Stay
The Last Stop
Sattellite
Crash
Anyone Seen The Bridge->
Too Much
Tripping

Typical Situation
Two Step

THAT'S a setlist. Thanks for the read Mike.

Brandon, I think I got that show from you years back for a buddy of mine whos first show it was. Good, fun show. I love those fall '96 Watchtowers, how Boyd goes from plucking to bowing and the band comes back in little by little.

So my first show was Foxboro Stadium, 7.8.00. I had wanted to catch them for a couple of years at that point, and finally joined the WH, got tickets, and caught them that year. We got to the Foxboro lots at around 2 in the afternoon, and had a long day of grilling and tailgating before getting in to see Ben Harper's set. I was on the other side of the stadium in the 100s, so I was basically watching the screens from afar. DMB comes on and they opened with Seek Up, a tune I was only vaguely familiar with the chorus of as it was my buddy's favorite song at the time. It was long. Real long. At the end, I asked my buddy next to me if they jam everything out like that. :lol

I remember What Would You Say having a real nice groove, and being surprised when Rhyme and Reason followed at the number of old tunes they opened the set with (I figured, like most bands, that I'd be getting one or two of their old tunes over the course of a set and then mostly new stuff). Out of said new tunes, I was floored by Grey Street. Once they finished that, I was practically jumping up and down and exclaiming to my buddy that we just heard the next Ants.

I remember going to get a drink, and then being pissed as I got back to my seat, as I missed the first half fo #41, getting back in time to only catch Leroi's solo. (Fortunately, the band graciously made this up to me by opening with it 3 days later at Giants Stadium). I remember being kind of surprised that, of all tunes, Stay closed, mostly because I rarely listened to BTCS at that point and it was kind of an afterthought. I expected more along the likes of Billies or Ants (which closed the encore). Little did I know that Ants would be proceeded by the only #40 I would catch to date.

So all in all, it was a nice first show. Got a fair share of Under the Table material, one new tune in particular that I fell in love with, DMB classic jams like Seek Up and #41, and topped it all off with the quintessential DMB tune to close. They brought me in beyond radio fandom there, and it would be 3 days later at Giants Stadium that this band had me absolutely hooked.

Setlist:
Seek Up
Song That Jane Likes
What Would You Say
Rhyme and Reason
Crash Into Me
Bartender
Grey Street
Jimi Thing
Digging a Ditch
JTR +
Long Black Veil +
ASTB --> Too Much
True Reflections +
Stay +
---------------
Grace is Gone
Ants Marching

+ - Lovely Ladies
Most of set with Butch Taylor

I think you may be right about the 10/1/96 show Bill. Man that was a long time ago. We've been around for a little while, eh? Great read man. Thanks for that.

Gorge Night 1 just over two years years ago. Went with my girlfriend and two other couples from college. Got there just in time to get a nice place on the back of lawn. It was a great show for a newbie like me to be at. Had a great time. Now explain to me why I didn't stay for the other two nights.
09/03/2004
Dave Matthews Band
Gorge Amphitheatre
George, WA

Don’t Burn The Pig
One Sweet World
Hello Again
Satellite
What Would You Say
Bartender
Drive In Drive Out
When The World Ends
Sugar Will
Grey Street
Joy Ride
Loving Wings
Where Are You Going
Jimi Thing
Tripping Billies

Encore:
Granny
Warehouse

Hey, atleast your first show was a gorgeous one like this.

june 6th will be my tenth anniversary.. and that was spac 97.
:upyours

Giants Stadium jun/12/2001

Don't Drink the Water
So Right *
Rhyme & Reason
Satellite *
JTR *+
When The World Ends *
So Much To Say * -->
(Anyone Seen the Bridge?) * -->
Too Much *
Long Black Veil *+
Mother Father *+
The Space Between *+
Jimi Thing
Recently
Digging a Ditch
Everyday (#36) *+
Fool To Think *+
I Did It *+
All Along the Watchtower
encore:
#40 ^
Waste ^
Tripping Billies *
* Butch Taylor on keys
+ Tawatha, Cindy & Brenda
^ Dave solo

I was with my 2 friends at the time (who I do not talk to anymore) and my father (who has seen dmb 3-4 times since Giants). We were amazed at how many hot girls were wearing basically no clothing, the amount of Ambercrombie worn by guys and girls alike, and amount of pot/beer in the parking lot. We had dead center seats just all across the feild. It was a good time. I didn't know half the music. I wanted to go back for the show on the 13th but my old man wouldn't let me. Since Giants-2001 Ive seen dmb 21 times... man was that a good night.

You know we can point to '01 all we want with a disgraceful look, but that still must've been an exciting time for you first show, AND it being at Giants Stadium. Not to mention that #40 is amazing.

CRUSHsoccer15
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
My First Show: 5.7.2002 in Dallas.

Too Much *
I Did It *
Rhyme & Reason *
You Never Know *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
What Would You Say *
Where Are You Going *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Crush *
Drive In Drive Out *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Two Step *
Sleep To Dream Her *
Ants Marching *

I didn't know all the songs, but I remember more than anything else Too Much, Crush, Ants, Two Step and Billies instantly standing out to me. Ants more than anything else. I remember us driving home and having Ants playing loud as fuck from RR 95 on repeat the whole way home. I also instantly loved the OSW Intro. What a cool little jam.

My buddy, who was on the boards took me to the show. He turned to me when YNK started saying that it was a new song and that it was pretty good. I turned to him about half way thru and we just loved the song so much, even on the first time of hearing it.

I knew it was over for me at the end of the night. The rest is history.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:32 PM
My first show where DMB headlined was Red Rocks 1995. I didn't really know any songs except WWYS, which they didn't even play, but the whole experience was so incredible.

Red Rocks is amazing in itself, then throw in that we were right in the middle around the 5th row. They started with Seek Up, and it felt like they just segued into and out of that for the whole 2+ hours (ok, it was a long time ago, and I may have been drinking/smoking a little). I remember thinking that Boyd looked like he was vibrating during Nancies he was jamming so hard. Really wish I could remember it all better!

Wow....what a first show. I'm sure you know, but you are extremely lucky. Not even because it was a release but that show pretty much encapsulates DMB as a yet to be highly famous band, still hungry and passionate in one of thier finest years. I def envy you.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:34 PM
July 28, 2000
Coors Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA

#41 *
Satellite *
Little Thing [first verse & chorus] -->
Ants Marching *
One Sweet World (instrumental intro) *
Rhyme & Reason *
Grey Street *
Warehouse (stop time intro) *
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken) *
Seek Up *
Lie In Our Graves *
Bartender *
Drive In, Drive Out *
JTR *
Two Step *
Encore:
Grace Is Gone *
All Along the Watchtower *

I remember asking my brother on the way out, "Does every guy in the band HAVE to take a solo on every single song?!?" I mostly remember a dude that looked like Tony Danza who brought his family and parked it right next to me on the lawn. His two little kids (a boy and a girl, ~6 or 7 years old) were tongue kissing the mom and each other and acting like animals. By the first song, the boy had rolled all over the nachos Tony Danza bought and had cheese all in his hair. It was as disgusting as it sounds. And I loved it.

Nothing like chillin' next to Tony Danza during an awesome JTR.

Marjorie
10-01-2006, 08:36 PM
My first show was supposed to be 12/31/96. I passed on other shows in 97 and 98 due to money/work issues. :(

I'm glad so many of you have great memories of your first show. I had fun at my first show but the show itself was one of dmb's weaker performances IMO ( Cville 01)

FiddySpence
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
oh the set for 5-31-98 was...

DDTW
The Last Stop
improv (while dave fixed his guitar, he had problems all night prompting the "tuba" improv by him in the stone)
satellite
PNP-->Rapunzel
Jimi Thing
Crush
Stay
LIOG
STJL
Nancies
Crash Into Me
The Stone
SMTS-->
ASTB-->
Too Much
------
Two Step
Tripping Billies

still my favorite encore.

bsan83
10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
I think you may be right about the 10/1/96 show Bill. Man that was a long time ago. We've been around for a little while, eh? Great read man. Thanks for that.

I would have been the summer after my freshman year of college, so I guess back in Summer '02.

We've been here too damn long. :lol

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:39 PM
6.3.01. i wasnt familair with too much outside of the lillywhite sessions and btcs, so i wasnt going to pay much attention to the show. add to that the fact that i went with a group of skanky girls a grade lower than me and made out with a few of them for much of the show. i didnt pay attention to anything until the chubby girl tried to give me a handjob and i freaked out and moved away and watched a few songs.

i liked it so much, i skipped class the next day to buy tickets for 6.4.01.

After going to 6/4, I bet you wish you would have rather gotten the handjob from the chubby girl and never went to the next show. :lol

Don't Drink The Water
Crush
One Sweet World W/ Instrumental Intro
If I had it All
When The World Ends -->
Crash Into Me
The Best of Whats Around
Ants Marching
Minarets
Help Myself
Say Goodbye
Rhyme & Reason
Loving Wings -->
Where Are You Going
True Reflections
Too Much

Encore:
So Much To Say -->
ASTB -->
PNP -->
Rapunzel

My girlfriend got tickets to this show and I remember it being pretty fun, I really had no idea that this would become the beginning of the obsession I have today! The one thing I do remember from the show is that even me being a noob since it was my first show, these 2 kids behind me tapped me on the shoulder as Loving Wings started to ask me if the song was a cover, and I just gave them an eye roll and laughed. Highlights were Minarets, True Reflections, and SMTS --> Rapunzel even though that rapunzel was a trainwreck.

Isn't it interesting that even when a song is performed fairly poorly like the last song of your first show that you still find yourself coming back? It says a lot of about the sight of emotion the band does put into playing throughout an entire show, vs directing your attention to one bad performance or song.

wasn't till 01. It was despite Everyday, rather than because of it. It was the end of my college year, and I just figured I'd go. I'd listened to so much live, after listening to releases since 95, and figured it'd been stupid of me not to go catch shows before that, and I was right. Not the best year to have caught them locally, and I wasn't aware enough at the time to know that Waste was kinda special. Also, this was without Butch, which I don't recall being odd at the time, not knowing better. I drove down and bought seats from a scalper at the back of the reserved section and had a hell of a time.

Dave Matthews Band
May 1, 2001
Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, Charlotte, NC

When the World Ends
What Would You Say
Rhyme and Reason
So Right
Sleep to Dream Her
Grace Is Gone
I Did It
Everyday
All Along The Watchtower
What You Are
Jimi Thing
JTR
If I Had It All
True Reflections
Two Step
Encore:
Waste
Tripping Billies

My First Show: 5.7.2002 in Dallas.

Too Much *
I Did It *
Rhyme & Reason *
You Never Know *
The Space Between *
Grey Street *
What Would You Say *
Where Are You Going *
What You Are *
One Sweet World *
Crush *
Drive In Drive Out *
Dont Burn The Pig *
Two Step *
Sleep To Dream Her *
Ants Marching *

I didn't know all the songs, but I remember more than anything else Too Much, Crush, Ants, Two Step and Billies instantly standing out to me. Ants more than anything else. I remember us driving home and having Ants playing loud as fuck from RR 95 on repeat the whole way home. I also instantly loved the OSW Intro. What a cool little jam.

My buddy, who was on the boards took me to the show. He turned to me when YNK started saying that it was a new song and that it was pretty good. I turned to him about half way thru and we just loved the song so much, even on the first time of hearing it.

I knew it was over for me at the end of the night. The rest is history.

Nice story man.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:41 PM
My first show was supposed to be 12/31/96. I passed on other shows in 97 and 98 due to money/work issues. :(

I'm glad so many of you have great memories of your first show. I had fun at my first show but the show itself was one of dmb's weaker performances IMO ( Cville 01)

I don't think you'll ever live that down Jorie, missing 12/31/96 that is.

josh
10-01-2006, 08:43 PM
4.23.02 - Palace of Auburn Hills (Detroit,) Mi

(#40) ->
So much to s...

'nuff said.

THEY OPENED WITH #40!

bsan83
10-01-2006, 08:44 PM
My roomie, by the good fortune of growing up in VA, had his first two shows be NYE 95 and 96. Not bad. :lol

One of my other friends at Providence could have been to 6.8.97 as his first show, but passed on the tickets. Kid's been kicking himself ever since (though less in recent years :\).

My first show could have been 7.9.00, and it could have been about 20th row on the floor for said show, but I picked the wrong damn night when we first ordered tickets.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Toad's Place
10/3/94
New Haven, Ct
1 One Sweet World
4 Dancing Nancies »
5 Warehouse
6 Satellite
7 Rhyme & Reason
8 Say Goodbye
9 Jimi Thing
10 Pay for What You Get
11 What Would You Say
12 Two Step »
13 Ants Marching
15 Halloween

Interesting. Do you remember anything from this show?

noletorious901
10-01-2006, 08:45 PM
First show was 5.15.01. I was supposed to see them in 96 and 99 when they came through Phoenix where I grew up. Both times something came up and I was not able to go. Then they didn't come in 2000.

Finally in '01 I was going. I had never been more excited to go to a concert. I had been following the band since 94, but only had official releases and a few bootlegs that I got through a friend who had an older brother who knew about trading. I was a freshman in college, and went with a group of friends on the lawn. I made them get to Desert Sky at 4:30 so we could get good lawn seats.

One Sweet World (Instrumental Intro)
I Did It
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Big Eyed Fish-->
Bartender
What Would You Say ft. Sam Kininger
Jimi Thing ft Eric Krasno
When the World Ends
So Right
What You Are
#41 ft Soulive
Sleep to Dream Her-->
Grace is gone
JTR
Billies
----------------------------------------------
Waste
All Along the Watchtower

Had a lot of fun at the show, even though it was an '01 show. Little would I know that One Sweet World would open half of my future shows. I got the lillywhite sessions a few weeks after Everyday, and wished that I could of got a few of those songs. Figured those songs were dead. So, I was very excited to get Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, Grace, and JTR. Really the only down part of the show was the new Everyday songs. I actually like If I Had It All, What You Are, and So Right, but as a whole none of the songs were tight. All the Everyday songs felt as they were just being run though the motions. Thought maybe they were still learning them. Turns out they just weren't very good.

Highlights were obvious. What Would You Say and Jimi were funky, but I will never forget that #41. Still to this day a highlight of my DMB experiences.
Billies was a nice set closer. Was surprised to get two cover songs in the encore, but enjoyed them. Had been hoping to get Watchtower, so I walked away happy. Not a bad set for '01.

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
My first show could have been 7.9.00, and it could have been about 20th row on the floor for said show, but I picked the wrong damn night when we first ordered tickets.

Yikes. I'm sorry you missed one of if not the most energetic show from '99 - '01 Bill :p

bsan83
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
That 5.15 show is about as good as it gets from '01.

JKidd
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM

Raleigh, NC

Seek Up
Heartbeat Intro
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Stay (Wasting Time)
The Stone
Drive In, Drive Out
Lie in Our Graves
Don't Drink the Water
Crash into Me
The Last Stop
Granny
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
So Much to Say
Too Much

Tripping Billies

Fan#41
First show was 5.15.01. I was supposed to see them in 96 and 99 when they came through Phoenix where I grew up. Both times something came up and I was not able to go. Then they didn't come in 2000.

Finally in '01 I was going. I had never been more excited to go to a concert. I had been following the band since 94, but only had official releases and a few bootlegs that I got through a friend who had an older brother who knew about trading. I was a freshman in college, and went with a group of friends on the lawn. I made them get to Desert Sky at 4:30 so we could get good lawn seats.

I Did It
Don't Drink the Water
If I Had It All
Big Eyed Fish-->
Bartender
What Would You Say ft. Sam Kininger
Jimi Thing ft Eric Krasno
When the World Ends
So Right
What You Are
#41 ft Soulive
Sleep to Dream Her-->
Grace is gone
JTR
Billies
----------------------------------------------
Waste
All Along the Watchtower

Had a lot of fun at the show, even though it was an '01 show. Little would I know that One Sweet World would open half of my future shows. I got the lillywhite sessions a few weeks after Everyday, and wished that I could of got a few of those songs. Figured those songs were dead. So, I was very excited to get Big Eyed Fish, Bartender, Grace, and JTR. Really the only down part of the show was the new Everyday songs. I actually like If I Had It All, What You Are, and So Right, but as a whole none of the songs were tight. All the Everyday songs felt as they were just being run though the motions. Thought maybe they were still learning them. Turns out they just weren't very good.

Highlights were obvious. What Would You Say and Jimi were funky, but I will never forget that #41. Still to this day a highlight of my DMB experiences.
Billies was a nice set closer. Was surprised to get two cover songs in the encore, but enjoyed them. Had been hoping to get Watchtower, so I walked away happy. Not a bad set for '01.

bsan83
Yikes. I'm sorry you missed one of if not the most energetic show from '99 - '01 Bill :p

No shit. I also had to unload my tickets for Hartford 1 that year due to work, and they got a WH upgrade to front row. :lol

soups
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
8-21-91
Eastern Standard Restaurant

Amazing Grace
Hey Joe
You Won't See Me
Sympathy for the Devil
Improv Jam

pretty average show. I had a good time though

Marjorie
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
No shit. I also had to unload my tickets for Hartford 1 that year due to work, and they got a WH upgrade to front row. :lol

:lol

I'm now not feeling quite as bad about passing on the 12/31/96 show

bsan83
10-01-2006, 08:49 PM
8-21-91

Amazing Grace
Hey Joe
You Won't See Me
Sympathy for the Devil
Improv Jam

I bet you called most of it.

soups
10-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I bet you called most of it.

I called every song. Twice

Marjorie

:(

8-21-91

Amazing Grace
Hey Joe
You Won't See Me
Sympathy for the Devil
Improv Jam

WOW.

Fan#41
8-21-91

Amazing Grace
Hey Joe
You Won't See Me
Sympathy for the Devil
Improv Jam

Did you buy a beer for Godagirl?

soups
10-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Did you buy a beer for Godagirl?

nah. Me and Dave shot up afterwards and we wrote Rhyme and Reason the next day after he woke up in a garbage can behind Millers

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
nah. Me and Dave shot up afterwards and we wrote Rhyme and Reason the next day after he woke up in a garbage can behind Millers

Atleast he was probably on time for work. :\

soups
10-01-2006, 08:53 PM
actually it was 12.6.96

1 Seek Up
2 #41
3 Tripping Billies
4 Dancing Nancies »
5 Warehouse
6 Lie in Our Graves
7 Jimi Thing
8 So Much to Say »
9 Anyone Seen the Bridge?
10 Too Much
11 Satellite
12 Minarets »
13 Typical Situation
14 Ants Marching

15 Christmas Song
16 Two Step

fantastic show

soups
10-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Atleast he was probably on time for work. :\

and you should have heard how good his voice was as he gasped for air

bsan83

Guess that beats his usual night of giving handjobs to pay for said smack.

Fan#41
and you should have heard how good his voice was as he gasped for air

Your dick can't be that big soups.

soups
Guess that beats his usual night of giving handjobs to pay for said smack.

who said he didn't give me a handjob?

bsan83
10-01-2006, 08:55 PM
And we know now why Dave was gasping for air. :lol

tritonman
10-01-2006, 08:57 PM

Raleigh, NC

Seek Up
Heartbeat Intro
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Stay (Wasting Time)
The Stone
Drive In, Drive Out
Lie in Our Graves
Don't Drink the Water
Crash into Me
The Last Stop
Granny
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
So Much to Say
Too Much

Tripping Billies

:upyours :upyours

that was my 3rd show, and 8/30 was my 4th. two great shows...

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Those Aug '98 shows were truly great. You guys were lucky to have caught those performances.

bbycrei
10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Those Aug '98 shows were truly great. You guys were lucky to have caught those performances.

I would kill for a soundboard of either the Giants Stadium or Foxboro shows from that tour.

soups
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM

Raleigh, NC

Seek Up
Heartbeat Intro
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Stay (Wasting Time)
The Stone
Drive In, Drive Out
Lie in Our Graves
Don't Drink the Water
Crash into Me
The Last Stop
Granny
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
So Much to Say
Too Much

Tripping Billies

I was there

Fan#41
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I would kill for a soundboard of either the Giants Stadium or Foxboro shows from that tour.

6/5/98 was my 3rd DMB show and one of the best I've been to. It started off a bit choppy but god damn if that show didn't turn into one amazing performance after the next.

Derek
10-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Mars Music Amphitheatre
West Palm Beach, FL

Crush
Grey Street
I Did It
One Sweet World
Granny
You Never Know
Grace Is Gone
When the World Ends
Bartender
What You Are
Everyday
Loving Wings ...>
Where Are You Going
The Stone
Tripping Billies
Encore:
Gravedigger
What Would You Say

So my first show wasn't the best and wasn't the worst show I have been to. It will always be memorable because it was the first. The opening of Crush was so awesome being that it is my favorite and I was just totally pumped about that. Hearing the very first Loving Wings and the first complete Gravedigger was also a treat as well. Other than that nothing really special since I would get my best show of 2002, 8 days later in Charlotte.

kylebond13
10-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I remember ants and billies and 'liking every song' which was a first for me. 90 shows or so later, I still get excited for every show I can catch. if you haven't, go to the gorge, red rocks, any msg shows possible.

does video exist of this show?

Aug.31.1995
Dave Matthews Band
Great Woods Amphitheater, Mansfield, Massachusetts

Opening Band: Dionne Farris

Drive In Drive Out
Proudest Monkey -->
Satellite
Tripping Billies
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Granny
Recently
Jimi Thing *
Rhyme & Reason *
Lover Lay Down
Minarets
Two Step
Ants Marching
Encore:
All Along the Watchtower

* with David Ryan Harris

christp
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Dave Matthews Band
July 21, 2000
Ralph Wilson Stadium, Buffalo, NY

Ants Marching
Granny
One Sweet World
Sweet Up and Down
What Would You Say
True Reflections
Stay
Lie In Our Graves
Bartender
Grey Street
So Much To Say ...>
Too Much
Best of What's Around
JTR
Long Black Veil
Two Step
Encore:
Grace Is Gone
Drive In Drive Out

My first show was great. Ants opening suprised me, the new LWS songs blew me away, and the show had such a great overall flow to it (never a dull moment). Plus, the encore was great. The Ladies were there, but I could stand them at the time so their presence didnt bother me at all. Anybody have this show? This is one of the few that I don't have that Ive been to

bsan83
10-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Dave Matthews Band
July 21, 2000

Ants Marching
Granny
One Sweet World
Sweet Up and Down
What Would You Say
True Reflections
Stay
Lie In Our Graves
Bartender
Grey Street
So Much To Say ...>
Too Much
Best of What's Around
JTR
Long Black Veil
Two Step
Encore:
Grace Is Gone
Drive In Drive Out

My first show was great. Ants opening suprised me, the new LWS songs blew me away, and the show had such a great overall flow to it (never a dull moment). Plus, the encore was great. The Ladies were there, but I could stand them at the time so their presence didnt bother me at all. Anybody have this show? This is one of the few that I don't have that Ive been to

Here's when I knew the DMB was a big fucking deal. A bunch of guys on my school's football team (who I was mildly friendly with) hiked out there for that show, on top of the Foxboro and Giants shows. Along with my friends and I that went down to Giants, there were about 20 kids in my class traveling like this, that I knew of. Foxboro that year was the place to be.

Us traveling crazy folk? We were the mainstream fanbase.

kylebond13
10-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Dave Matthews Band
July 21, 2000

Anybody have this show? This is one of the few that I don't have that Ive been to

http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=1370

Smokey the Bear
10-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Dave Matthews Band
September 1st, 2002
Alpine Valley Music Theatre - East Troy, WI

Pig
Granny
Where Are You Going
If I Had It All
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Rhyme & Reason
One Sweet World
So Much To Say -->
Anyone Seen the Bridge -->
Too Much
Grace Is Gone
I Did It
Two Step

Encore:
Gravedigger *
Ants Marching

I didn't know what the first two songs or Gravedigger were, but I knew everything else. ASTB remains one of my favorite concert moments. I really enjoyed WAYG

christp
10-01-2006, 09:34 PM
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=1370

thanks

Nitro1515
10-01-2006, 09:35 PM
My first show was at SPAC in 1996. I still have the stub, only 17 bucks. It was incredible, eventhough I only had lawn seats. It rained a little bit, but once they opened with BOWA (which was my favorite song at the time) I couldn't have cared less about getting wet. #36 with a little Carter intro was a real treat as well. I also remember some Davespeak from it, he said something along the lines of "You know everytime I open up the newspaper I see all these stories about wars, bombings, and people blowing each other up, but we can come out here and have a fucking party." I've been to a lot of shows since, but that one will always be my favorite. I still have yet to track down a tape of it.

Dave Matthews Band
June 8, 1996
Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, NY

Best of What's Around
Two Step ...>
Crash Into Me
Jimi Thing
Granny
Too Much
The Song That Jane Likes
Cry Freedom
So Much To Say
Satellite
Seek Up
Drive In Drive Out
Ants Marching
Encore:
All Along The Watchtower

Here is the stub:
http://show.imagehosting.us/show/1642877/0/nouser_1642/T0_-1_1642877.jpg

goldenmonkey
10-01-2006, 09:36 PM
so after the party i brought her back to my friend, jim's room. as i sat down on the bed and whispered to her to come closer, she walked towards me as she took off her jacket. she sat down and began to unbutton my pants as my peni....

oh shit! you said first show?!

oh, yeah, that was 7.29.98, it was damn good.

bsan83
10-01-2006, 09:37 PM
so after the party i brought her back to my friend, jim's room. as i sat down on the bed and whispered to her to come closer, she walked towards me as she took off her jacket. she sat down and began to unbutton my pants as my peni....

oh shit! you said first show?!

oh, yeah, that was 7.29.98, it was damn good.

For someone whos first show was in Hartford, that may well be one in the same. :lol

IAStFAN
10-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Dave Matthews Band
April 30, 2002
Hilton Coliseum - Iowa State University, Ames, IA

What Would You Say
When the World Ends
One Sweet World
Rhyme and Reason
The Space Between
You Never Know
Grey Street
If I Had It All
Crush
What You Are
Jimi Thing
Where Are You Going
The Stone
I Did It
Pig
Tripping Billies

Encore:
Waste
Ants Marching

I'll never forget it. I was still new to the band so I just decided to get tickets and see what it was all about. The music and atmosphere were incredible. I immediatly bought into it and they have been my favorite band since. Numerous shows and better sets followed for me but this one will always be pretty special. Crush, Billies, and Ants were the highlights. Good times.

dmb2much40
10-01-2006, 10:16 PM

Don't Drink the Water
Satellite
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
One Sweet World
The Last Stop
Seek Up
Stay (Wasting Time)
Jimi Thing
Crash into Me
Lie in Our Graves
Warehouse
Two Step
So Much to Say »
Anyone Seen the Bridge? »
Too Much
Encore:
Crush
Tripping Billies

so i won't lie, i went to the show hoping to hear the UTTAD/Crash songs. but i'll be damned if last stop didn't kick my ass. the slow was off to a slow start for me. last stop really grabbed my attention. then a killer seek up. energy in the place was starting to build. from LIOG to the end of the show was an awesome run. i've never heard a crowd as loud as the place got for billies. i couldn't wait to catch another show.

stalker
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
I feel so young (I am 21) when my first DMB show was last years Hartford N2 lol. I started listening to DMB around '98/'99 and was suppose to see them at Hartford in '99,'02,'03 but everytime my plans got fucked up and I had to sell my tickets. Finally I was able to make it to Hartford last year. Seen them 3 times since (12/15/05, 7-28-29/06). Looking back at this show I don't think it's that bad of a show (minus the stage rush) and the big suprise for me was Ants being played second while the the run of songs from Bartender-Crush-Granny was unreal.

Everyday--->
Ants Marching
Dreamgirl--->
The Stone
Rhyme & Reason*
Louisana Bayou*
Out Of My Hands
Bartender
Crush
Granny
Stand Up (For It)
You Might Die Trying
Lover Lay Down
Hunger for the Great Light
Pantala Naga Pampa-->
Rapunzel*
Encore:
Old Dirt Hill
Stefan solo-->
All Along The Watchtower

*With Rashawn Ross

rvn10manu
10-01-2006, 10:17 PM
6.9.99 The Pyramid, Memphis TN

shitty place for a concert. terrible acoustics. i really dont remember that much about the show. heres the set.

The Last Stop
Two Step
So Much to Say>>
Anyone Seen The Bridge?>>
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Crash Into Me
Warehouse>>
Typical Situation
Pig
Don't Drink The Water
Crush
Pantala Naga Pampa>>
Rapunzel
Tripping Billies

Ants Marching

yes, the last stop was the first song i ever heard live.

Berno
10-01-2006, 10:34 PM
7/7/01

It was one week after my family's restaurant closed. I was still bummed about it but was really exited to see DMB for the first time. I sat with one of my buddies toward mid field at Soldier. We got there at about 4:30 and just sat in the sun. I was in awe when Dave hit the stage to introduce the openers. When the band got out I was freaking out. They opened with Grey Street, which I had never heard from any audio or anything.(Way before my time.)

The song sent shivers down my spine. I was hooked on DMB. I had a great time at the show.

A few months later I took part in an independant study in which I arranged Grey Street for my high school Jazz Band. One song was responsible for me having the greatest year of my life.

7/7/01
Soldier Field, Chicago, IL

The Dreaming Tree (Tease) ! G1
Grey Street G1
So Much To Say G1
Too Much G1
What You Are G1
Pig (Tease) ^^^ G1
Mother Father G2 G3 G4
Satellite G1 G5
Angel G1 G2 G3 G4 G6
Pig (Tease) ^^^ G1
Sleep to Dream Her G1
Grace Is Gone G1
So Right G1
Everyday G1 G2 G3 G4
Recently ...>
Digging a Ditch
Lie In Our Graves G1
The Space Between G1 G2 G3 G4
Stay G1 G2 G3 G4
Encore:
Ain't It Funny How Time Slips Away G1
Ants Marching

Guests:
G1 Butch Taylor
G2 Brenda
G3 Cindy
G4 Tawatha
G5 Angelique Kidjo
G6 Buddy Guy

stonge9
10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
08/01/1998
Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, CT

Seek Up ...>
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
Granny
Two Step
Crush
Say Goodbye
The Stone
Best of What's Around
Lover Lay Down
Stay
Satellite
Tripping Billies
Encore:
Crash Into Me
Stir It Up (Tease) ...>
All Along The Watchtower

flyersfanatic02
10-01-2006, 11:13 PM
7/16/2000 Veterans Stadium Philadelphia, PA

One Sweet World
#41 »
What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
Crash into Me
True Reflections
Too Much
Grey Street
JTR
Say Goodbye
Bartender
Lie in Our Graves
Sweet Up and Down
The Long Black Veil
Stay (Wasting Time)
================
Grace Is Gone
All Along the Watchtower

I was 15 at the time, and I wouldn't say I was into the band as much as I am now but I will never forget #41 and just being blown away.

greykitkat36
10-01-2006, 11:25 PM
Continental Airlines Arena

Don't Drink The Water
Fool To Think>>
Grace Is Gone
#41>>
Everyday
One Sweet World
Bartender
Help Myself
I Did It
Crush
You Never Know
Pay For What You Get
When The World Ends
Stay

Eh...it was nice getting #41 first time..but the encore was nothing special.

goldenmonkey
10-02-2006, 12:30 AM
For someone whos first show was in Hartford, that may well be one in the same. :lol
7.29.98 is hershey d00d

ethaxton
10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
My first show was Charlottesville '01. I'm not going to post the set because it doesn't really matter. I had been listening to dmb for about 5 years before I saw a show, and I went to the show not knowing what to expect. I had shitty seats but I was with a bunch of cool people. We were seniors in high school getting ready to graduate and it was a great feeling overall to be in the college atmosphere. My buddy and I ended up meeting up witha friend who went to UVa and smoked a couple bowls in the bathroom (shower specifically, and no we were not naked fags) with a couple of other dudes. The 2 guys didn't know how to smoke a bowl and never cleared it so we always had their hit as well and they had no idea. Anyways, I'm feeling great going to the show and they open with Two Step. Holy shit...one of the two songs I desperately wanted to hear (other being seek up). I dropped my nachos and we all started dancing. The rest of the set could have been better but I had never been in such awe over seeing a band live. I was completely hooked after that.

morbo
10-02-2006, 12:45 AM
I'd wanted to see them for over a year, but hadn't had the chance, so my first show was

8.2.98, Vernon Downs, Vernon NY.
It was a general admission show - took place on the infield of the Vernon Downs Racetrack. Pretty lame, truthfully. Dave was absolutely blasted. Set was good, but some of the songs were a bit sloppy as I recall.
Still, a great time, and was the beginning of over 20 shows for me.

Lie In Our Graves
Stay
Pantala Naga Pampa -->
Rapunzel
Crash Into Me
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse (Stop Time Intro)
Don't Drink the Water
Say Goodbye
Two Step
The Last Stop (Reprise Outro)
Crush
Jimi Thing
Tripping Billies

Encore:
So Much To Say (Anyone Seen the Bridge) -->
Too Much

firedancer1961
10-02-2006, 12:53 AM
I got peed on at my first show...and accused of carrying crack cocaine when it was the people in front of me doing the chicken dance all night long... gotta love the lawn at tweeter center.

Wow - I thought I was the only one!!! The asshole sitting directly behind me was close to the point of being passed out, but he managed to pull out his dick and pee - all over my back. It sucked because it was cold and I was wearing a jean jacket - so by the time it soaked thru enough for me to notice, it was a lot of pee. I was so pissed!:rant

(this was at Giants stadium, 6-7-98)

LIOGwhat
10-02-2006, 12:55 AM
My first show was 7/15/00, Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia, PA. I had fallen in love with DMB in 1996 after purchasing Crash, in response to seeing the video for Too Much on MTV. I was 11 at the time.

7/15 was the first time I was old enough to go to a concert, and my cousin had to take me since, at age 15, I was without a driver's liscense. We had been hooked up with meet & greet passes with Ben Harper, which was to be conducted after his set. By the time Ben came out to meet the crowd, DMB was almost ready to hit the stage. I will absolutely never forget how badly I wanted just to bypass meeting Harper b/c i was so amazingly eager to finally see DMB. My friend and cousin convinced me to stay to meet Harper, we did, and I basically ran from underneath the seats (where the meet & greet was held) to up above where my seats were. By the time I had gotten there, I had missed One Sweet World completely, but I'm still happy to say #41 was the first DMB song I heard live. It, along with Lie In Our Graves, were the 2 tracks on Crash that I loved the most. In a way, these 2 studio tracks changed my life in the sense that they led me to be the fan I am today, and led DMB to mean as much to me as they have over the years.

As for the show, I recall being very impressed with the stage set-up and the lighting. A few musical moments I can recall are:
--a very solid drum solo into Say Goodbye, and the climax when the rest of the band starts in.
--a beautiful boyd solo during LIOG (got to hear my #1 and #2 favorite DMB songs at my first show!)
--the passion with which Dave sang (sang? sung? oh well...) Grey Street. Only a few weeks earlier I had downloaded Grey Street, Raven, and Sweet Up & Down from the 6/20/00 show. Downloading music was obviously very different then, but I was excited to hear these new songs live.

Overall, the set was great and this band still amazes me live 36 shows later, they same way they did that night. Here's Grey Street from that night. In particular, listen to Dave's singing around 4:10 and on, with special notice to the conviction with which he sings the few lines from 4:25-4:40 or so. Simply awesome.

Here's the set:
One Sweet World
#41 -->
What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
Crash Into Me
The Best Of What's Around ^
True Reflections ^
Too Much
Grey Street
JTR ^
Say Goodbye
Bartender
Lie In Our Graves
Sweet Up And Down
Long Black Veil ^
Stay (Wasting Time) ^

Encore:
Grace Is Gone
All Along The Watchtower

And Grey Street:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/k4wxYUtjYZc%3D

Yeedog
10-02-2006, 01:03 AM
First time i wanted to see the band was the 98 winter MA shows but I never went and missed the 99/00 Foxboro shows as well.

Finally saw them on 2000/12/11 tho

The Stone ...>
Drive In Drive Out
Best of What's Around
JTR
So Much To Say ...>
Too Much
Lover Lay Down
Jimi Thing
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
Cortez The Killer
True Reflections
Grace Is Gone
What Would You Say
Encore:
Christmas Song
All Along The Watchtower

Don't back this.
10-02-2006, 01:13 AM
My first show was 7/15/00, Veteran's Stadium, Philadelphia, PA. I had fallen in love with DMB in 1996 after purchasing Crash, in response to seeing the video for Too Much on MTV. I was 11 at the time.

7/15 was the first time I was old enough to go to a concert, and my cousin had to take me since, at age 15, I was without a driver's liscense. We had been hooked up with meet & greet passes with Ben Harper, which was to be conducted after his set. By the time Ben came out to meet the crowd, DMB was almost ready to hit the stage. I will absolutely never forget how badly I wanted just to bypass meeting Harper b/c i was so amazingly eager to finally see DMB. My friend and cousin convinced me to stay to meet Harper, we did, and I basically ran from underneath the seats (where the meet & greet was held) to up above where my seats were. By the time I had gotten there, I had missed One Sweet World completely, but I'm still happy to say #41 was the first DMB song I heard live. It, along with Lie In Our Graves, were the 2 tracks on Crash that I loved the most. In a way, these 2 studio tracks changed my life in the sense that they led me to be the fan I am today, and led DMB to mean as much to me as they have over the years.

As for the show, I recall being very impressed with the stage set-up and the lighting. A few musical moments I can recall are:
--a very solid drum solo into Say Goodbye, and the climax when the rest of the band starts in.
--a beautiful boyd solo during LIOG (got to hear my #1 and #2 favorite DMB songs at my first show!)
--the passion with which Dave sang (sang? sung? oh well...) Grey Street. Only a few weeks earlier I had downloaded Grey Street, Raven, and Sweet Up & Down from the 6/20/00 show. Downloading music was obviously very different then, but I was excited to hear these new songs live.

Overall, the set was great and this band still amazes me live 36 shows later, they same way they did that night. Here's Grey Street from that night. In particular, listen to Dave's singing around 4:10 and on, with special notice to the conviction with which he sings the few lines from 4:25-4:40 or so. Simply awesome.

Here's the set:
One Sweet World
#41 -->
What Would You Say
Rhyme & Reason
Crash Into Me
The Best Of What's Around ^
True Reflections ^
Too Much
Grey Street
JTR ^
Say Goodbye
Bartender
Lie In Our Graves
Sweet Up And Down
Long Black Veil ^
Stay (Wasting Time) ^

Encore:
Grace Is Gone
All Along The Watchtower

And Grey Street:
http://www.yousendit.com/download/k4wxYUtjYZc%3D

Great Version of Grey Street.

Ledge
10-02-2006, 06:04 AM

Shut up asshole.

Ledge
10-02-2006, 06:10 AM
Stupid Italian internet.

BlueWaterDMB
10-02-2006, 07:01 AM
August 23, 2000
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA

Warehouse
Too Much (Tease) ...>
Ants Marching
Granny
What Would You Say
Busted Stuff
Seek Up ...>
Heartbeat ...>
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
Crash Into Me
Grey Street
Bartender
Lie In Our Graves
Grace Is Gone
JTR
Two Step
Encore:
The Stone
Drive In Drive Out

23rd row dead center. I remember it like it was yesterday.

ssdmbfan
10-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Dave Matthews Band
August 9, 1998
Deer Creek Music Center, Noblesville, IN

Seek Up
Pantala Naga Pampa ...>
Rapunzel
#41 ...>
Say Goodbye
Don't Drink the Water
The Stone
Dancing Nancies
Typical Situation
Recently
So Much To Say ...>
Too Much
Encore:
Granny
Ants Marching

Such a great show that, 41 shows later, still ranks in my top 3. I had constant chills (almost to the point of tears :gay), and knew almost immediately towards the end of Seek Up that I was going to be obsessed with this band.

I had no idea how much time and money I would eventually be spending on them and how many states I would be traveling to, just to see them play. I also definitely didn't think that I would one day be meeting cool people from an internet DMB message board and be doing Jello shots with them...but I'm glad I did and it all began with this show! :)

bbycrei
10-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Continental Airlines Arena

Don't Drink The Water
Fool To Think>>
Grace Is Gone
#41>>
Everyday
One Sweet World
Bartender
Help Myself
I Did It
Crush
You Never Know
Pay For What You Get
When The World Ends
Stay

Eh...it was nice getting #41 first time..but the encore was nothing special.

Ouch, I was there and that setlist was a train wreck. I was happy to get 41 for the first time as well as PFWYG and Stay but I hated that show. I hope you went to the next nights.

pfarrell4
10-02-2006, 07:38 AM
jul.11.2000
Dave Matthews Band
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, New Jersey
Opening Band: Ozomatli, Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals

set:
onstage 8:43 PM
#41 *
So Much To Say (Anyone Seen the Bridge?) * -->
Too Much *
One Sweet World (instrumental intro, Swim Naked outro) *
Busted Stuff +*
#36 +*
Lie In Our Graves *
Bartender * -->
Say Goodbye *
Grey Street *
JTR +*
Typical Situation *
What Would You Say *
Stay +*
offstage 10:57 PM
Encore:
onstage 11:01 PM
Grace Is Gone * -->
Pantala Naga Pampa * -->
Rapunzel *
offstage 11:19 PM

+ with Brenda, Cindy & Tawatha on vocals

My review from Nancies.org--at the time, I didn't even know what ASTB was.... but it was friggin amazing--3 night stand at Giants, and I got to hear IBYU at my 2nd show. I was in heaven...

Peter Farrell
Well, I just got back from my very first DMB concert and I must say it's everything I expected and more. I was hoping for a Best of What's Around opener, but we got #41--it was a great opener. A very popular song that everyone knows... it got everyone dancing--seriously, everyone around me was WAY into it--it was so great! The Song that Jane Likes was perfect as usual. So Much To Say--the energy was kept high continuing with SMTS. Too Much--the band went right into Too Much -- no break in between songs.... they flowed together nicely. Another very upbeat song to keep the crowd dancin. There were a few new and a few slow songs that got the crowd out of the mood (which were amazing, by the way), but they came right back with "What Would You Say" and "Stay"--encore--Grace is Gone is my favorite new song--it was amazing. And Rapunzel was a wonderful closer... all in all, a wonderful show--can't wait for the next two!!

zaphod!
10-02-2006, 07:49 AM

Two Step
Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
True Reflections
The Last Stop
Jimi Thing
Lie in Our Graves
Crush
Too Much
Pig
Recently
Stay (Wasting Time)
Satellite
Don't Drink the Water
Tripping Billies
--------------------------
Crash into Me
All Along the Watchtower

tour debut in montreal. (minus true refections, a setlist that i would probably kill a kitten to see again today)

Snappy
10-02-2006, 08:08 AM

Satellite
Rhyme & Reason
JTR
Don't Drink the Water (Béla Fleck)
Grace Is Gone (Béla Fleck)
Grey Street (Béla Fleck)
The Long Black Veil (Béla Fleck, Emmylou Harris)
Crash into Me (Dixie Chicken outro)
Jimi Thing
Granny
The Song That Jane Likes
#41 (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)- Sojourn of Arjuna; Carter & Futureman duet outro
Bartender (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)

Digging a Ditch (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)
All Along the Watchtower (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)

That Bartender following one of my favorite #41s absolutely floored me. This was also the first show that Bela & company got their hands on the Lillywhites. The mid-set LBV was more of a novelty than anything else. I also recall that AATW as just blowing my away. I didn't know what to do, so I just danced my ass off in the lawn.

bbycrei
10-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Satellite
Rhyme & Reason
JTR
Don't Drink the Water (Béla Fleck)
Grace Is Gone (Béla Fleck)
Grey Street (Béla Fleck)
The Long Black Veil (Béla Fleck, Emmylou Harris)
Crash into Me (Dixie Chicken outro)
Jimi Thing
Granny
The Song That Jane Likes
#41 (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)- Sojourn of Arjuna; Carter & Futureman duet outro
Bartender (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)

Digging a Ditch (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)
All Along the Watchtower (Béla Fleck, Futureman, Jeff Coffin)

That Bartender following one of my favorite #41s absolutely floored me. This was also the first show that Bela & company got their hands on the Lillywhites. The mid-set LBV was more of a novelty than anything else. I also recall that AATW as just blowing my away. I didn't know what to do, so I just danced my ass off in the lawn.

Wow that little ending to a show looks very cool. Never thought I could see Bartender close a show.

CvillePong
10-02-2006, 08:29 AM
5/9/99 - Charleston WV

One Sweet World
Too Much
Jimi Thing
Say Goodbye
Don't Drink the Water
Help Myself
Long Black Veil
Pig
Two Step
Recently ...>
Lover Lay Down
The Last Stop
Typical Situation
Warehouse
Encore:
Crash Into Me
Ants Marching

I had good good times.

tritonman
10-02-2006, 12:35 PM
My first show was 4/21/98 at the Tabernacle in Atl. I had bought some bootlegs before hand, so I had an idea of what their live experience was like. We had been talking about making a trip to see them for quite a while. I missed out on my chance to see them in '96 because of school, so we decided to make a trip for the BTCS release party. We had heard that MTV was filming the show and that they were going to air it for "Live at the 10 Spot." We figured this would be a great time to pop our cherry.

I made two separate trips from Gainesville (UF) to Atl. One trip was to camp out for tickets and one trip was to camp out for the actual show. The venue was tiny, which is why we had to camp out for tickets. Also, it was general admission, so first come, first serve. We wanted to get close, so we camped out the night before the show. When we arrived the night before, there were about 25-30 people in line already. We wound up getting about 3 rows from the stage, which is to this date the closest I've ever been at a DMB show.

Since BTCS hadn't been released, we had no clue as to what they were going to play. We hadn't heard any of the new songs, so all I knew was UTTAD and Crash. I don't remember a tremendous amount from the two shows. I remember the Pantala opener because I thought, "Shit, I'm not going to recognize any of these songs." Then Two Step started and I was very relieved.

One of the things I remember as if it happened yesterday was the Crush into Halloween. People talk about that Halloween a great deal, but what many people don't discuss is the way they fucked up Crush right before it. They cut it off within a minute of it starting and Dave was pissed. I remember the awkward, silent hush that enveloped the crowd just after they stopped Crush. I still don't think I've ever since him as angry/disappointed as he was, which is the reason I think Halloween was so powerful. That Halloween is something I will never forget. The looks on our faces must have been priceless. I still have yet to see a performance like that from any band. It was incredible.

Other than that, I don't remember much. I remember Typical because it was one of my favorite songs. I remember The Last Stop because it was my favorite new song from that night. I left with a great feeling that I had never experienced at a show. I guess that's why I'm still posting about it on a message board 9 years later. ;) They quickly became my favorite band and I saw 5 shows over the next 2 years in '98 and '99. I just wish I could turn back time and relive all those moments.

Atlanta, GA
The Tabernacle

Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Two Step
Stay (Wasting Time)
Recently
The Stone
Satellite
Too Much
Crush (aborted) Dave stops because a string was out of tune
Halloween
Crush
Typical Situation
The Last Stop
Crash into Me
Pig
Don't Drink the Water
Tripping Billies

Encore:
Jimi Thing
So Much to Say

akleiner34
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Dave Matthews Band
September 11, 2003
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA

Seek Up G1
Granny G1
Stay G1
Crush G1
Dancing Nancies ...> G1
Warehouse G1
Where Are You Going G1
#41 ...> G1
Everyday * G1
Jimi Thing G1
Rhyme and Reason G1
Grey Street G1
Cry Freedom G1
Star Spangled Banner ...> ~ G1
All Along The Watchtower G1
Encore:
Two Step G1

Guests:
G1 Butch Taylor

Notes:
~ Stefan played the entire Star Spangled Banner, and the fans sang along.
# Dave teased a different part of All You Need Is Love (The Beatles Song) then the part he 'accidently' sings during Everyday normally

My first show. I am a newer fan I suppose. Blew my fucking mind. The entire night was magical. It made me the crazy fan I am. I cant begin to describe to you how it felt in the cool late summer air when the first chords of seek up filled my ears and just sent me swimming... O, I miss that night. I miss seeing them when it isnt 700 degrees out.
Confession Time:
I have severe OCD and anxiety/panic disorders. Been struggling all 23 years of my life. Dancing Nancies is the song I listen to when I get really sick and honestly, it helps me get through. I didn't know setlists then and I didn;t even expect them to play it. I thought it to be too old. It was hard for me to go that night, it was my first night far away from where I live in a long while and I wanted to do it, and I fucking did. It was a major accomplishment for me and every concert I have been too since is as well. Then, I heard Nancies and yea I fucking cried a little bit, ( I know fag C) but man y'all don;t know how that felt...
Great night.
(Cry Freedom ruled)

"I know this day in history will live on,
to quote another, in infamy,
for it's anniversary.
So, I just want to pay my respects to all those people
who lost their lives on this date two years ago,
and we pay all our respects to them and to all of you who lost somebody special,
and to all of us who lost our innocence on that day.
We will never forget it, no.
But let us also not forget all the millions of people
that have died all over the world for the same terrible reasons.
I hope that one day we will find a peaceful world to live on."

-- Dave Matthews

Thursday, September 11
11:59 PM EDT

raven
10-02-2006, 01:55 PM

Meadows Music Theatre, Hartford, Connecticut

One Sweet World (Swim Naked)
Jimi Thing
Crash Into Me
Lie In Our Graves *
Seek Up *
Two Step *
#41 **
Leave Me Praying
Say Goodbye
Ants Marching *
Tripping Billies (Nature) *
Lover Lay Down
So Much To Say >
Anyone Seen the Bridge? >
Too Much
Encore:
Drive In, Drive Out

* w/ Bela Fleck
** w/ Bela Fleck and Jeff Coffin

A friend from high school got me into DMB my senior year.. I borrowed his Recently cd and got hooked on the acoustic Nancies and Warehouse. He went to see D&T at Conn college in 97 but I wasn't interested enough at that point to go unfortunately. By the summer though I was very into the band and had most of their cds. We had lawn seats for the show but we had friends with tickets in the 13th row center and we were lucky enough to be brought down. I was blown away by BFFT and ended up buying Live Art the following week. I was blown away by the show too but I didn't appreciate the performance nearly as much as I do now. The two things that stick out from that night are Victor's solo during Sinister Minister and LIOG with Bela. Soon after I discovered the world of tape trading.. someone in NH was kind enough to B&P this show along with a compilation of rare and unreleased songs. 9 years later I'm still following the band.

Fan#41
10-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Some pretty cool stories everyone. Thanks for sharing. :)

raven
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
Toad's Place
10/3/94
New Haven, Ct
1 One Sweet World
4 Dancing Nancies »
5 Warehouse
6 Satellite
7 Rhyme & Reason
8 Say Goodbye
9 Jimi Thing
10 Pay for What You Get
11 What Would You Say
12 Two Step »
13 Ants Marching
15 Halloween
nice

raven
10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
I mostly remember a dude that looked like Tony Danza who brought his family and parked it right next to me on the lawn. His two little kids (a boy and a girl, ~6 or 7 years old) were tongue kissing the mom and each other and acting like animals. By the first song, the boy had rolled all over the nachos Tony Danza bought and had cheese all in his hair. It was as disgusting as it sounds. And I loved it.:lol wtf

Bluewater34
10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
June 18, 1999

Don't Drink the Water
The Stone
Too Much
Proudest Monkey -->
Satellite
Help Myself
What Would You Say
Seek Up -->
LeRoi solo -->
Pantala Naga Pampa -->
Rapunzel
Pig
Tripping Billies (Nature)
Encore:
Warehouse Tease -->
Ants Marching

My memories are a little foggy at this point. Basically I remember being the only person in the near vicinity who knew Help Myself. My favorite memory of that show was my friend who I went with, who was also going to her first show, only wanted to hear Warehouse. She didn't care about anything but Warehouse. Then they teased her with Warehouse. I heard about it for weeks. I wish I remembered more of the mid-set Seek Up->PNP->Rapunzel, but I don't.

raven
10-02-2006, 03:08 PM
My favorite memory of that show was my friend who I went with, who was also going to her first show, only wanted to hear Warehouse. She didn't care about anything but Warehouse. Then they teased her with Warehouse. I heard about it for weeks.

:lol damn.. that sucks for her

Bluewater34
10-02-2006, 03:10 PM
:lol damn.. that sucks for her

The happy ending to that story is that we went to 6.19.00 at Polaris, and they opened with it.

HomelessMole
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I went to my first show with two of my good friends from highschool. We only knew a few radio songs, and a few tunes from BTCS (thanks to a mixed cd from a friend). We sat behind Carter, which to me was an amazing (not obstructed) view. It's still one of my favorite shows to listen to. I wish I knew more about the band back then, but I had a great time.

"This is a sweet, sweet, love song..."

Dec.08.2000
Dave Matthews Band
Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, Pennsylvania

Blue Water % -->
JTR
Satellite
What Would You Say
Granny
Bartender
So Much To Say --> (Anyone Seen the Bridge?)
Too Much
Grey Street
True Reflections
Lie In Our Graves
All Along the Watchtower
Encore:
Christmas Song * (All you need is love, Can't buy me love)
Halloween *
Ants Marching

% Dave only
* Dave and Carter only

noletorious901
10-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Some pretty cool stories everyone. Thanks for sharing. :)

:upyours good thread

akleiner34
10-02-2006, 06:02 PM
It felt good to relay to y'all my first time and reading this thread has been really refreshing. I need to download 9/11 again. I love this band. Thanks fo the thread

zhess88
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Dave Matthews Band
June 30, 2003
Verizon Wireless Music Center, Noblesville, IN

The Stone
One Sweet World
Crush
The Song That Jane Likes
If I Had It All
Fool to Think
Bartender
Pay For What You Get
Rhyme and Reason
Dancing Nancies
Cry Freedom
The Last Stop
Crash Into Me ...>
Typical Situation
Ants Marching

Encore:

Digging a Ditch
What You Are

LIOGwhat
10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
akleiner34 It felt good to relay to y'all my first time and reading this thread has been really refreshing. I need to download 9/11 again. I love this band. Thanks fo the thread

Your story and subsequently this thread, in general, is the type of thing I wish the band could get in their hands. Forget how Hunger shouldn't have been played nearly as much as it was this summer or how sugar will never saw the light of day in the studio...it's nice to take a minute and try to remember the other things about this band that make them such a ridiculously huge part of our lives!

akleiner34
10-02-2006, 06:19 PM
akleiner34 It felt good to relay to y'all my first time and reading this thread has been really refreshing. I need to download 9/11 again. I love this band. Thanks fo the thread

Your story and subsequently this thread, in general, is the type of thing I wish the band could get in their hands. Forget how Hunger shouldn't have been played nearly as much as it was this summer or how sugar will never saw the light of day in the studio...it's nice to take a minute and try to remember the other things about this band that make them such a ridiculously huge part of our lives!

I have considered sending Stefan a message on myspace but I am rather afraid I would just be a toolbag if I did it. Thanks, though.

bbycrei
10-02-2006, 08:23 PM
My first show was 4/21/98 at the Tabernacle in Atl. I had bought some bootlegs before hand, so I had an idea of what their live experience was like. We had been talking about making a trip to see them for quite a while. I missed out on my chance to see them in '96 because of school, so we decided to make a trip for the BTCS release party. We had heard that MTV was filming the show and that they were going to air it for "Live at the 10 Spot." We figured this would be a great time to pop our cherry.

I made two separate trips from Gainesville (UF) to Atl. One trip was to camp out for tickets and one trip was to camp out for the actual show. The venue was tiny, which is why we had to camp out for tickets. Also, it was general admission, so first come, first serve. We wanted to get close, so we camped out the night before the show. When we arrived the night before, there were about 25-30 people in line already. We wound up getting about 3 rows from the stage, which is to this date the closest I've ever been at a DMB show.

Since BTCS hadn't been released, we had no clue as to what they were going to play. We hadn't heard any of the new songs, so all I knew was UTTAD and Crash. I don't remember a tremendous amount from the two shows. I remember the Pantala opener because I thought, "Shit, I'm not going to recognize any of these songs." Then Two Step started and I was very relieved.

One of the things I remember as if it happened yesterday was the Crush into Halloween. People talk about that Halloween a great deal, but what many people don't discuss is the way they fucked up Crush right before it. They cut it off within a minute of it starting and Dave was pissed. I remember the awkward, silent hush that enveloped the crowd just after they stopped Crush. I still don't think I've ever since him as angry/disappointed as he was, which is the reason I think Halloween was so powerful. That Halloween is something I will never forget. The looks on our faces must have been priceless. I still have yet to see a performance like that from any band. It was incredible.

Other than that, I don't remember much. I remember Typical because it was one of my favorite songs. I remember The Last Stop because it was my favorite new song from that night. I left with a great feeling that I had never experienced at a show. I guess that's why I'm still posting about it on a message board 9 years later. ;) They quickly became my favorite band and I saw 5 shows over the next 2 years in '98 and '99. I just wish I could turn back time and relive all those moments.

Atlanta, GA
The Tabernacle

Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
Two Step
Stay (Wasting Time)
Recently
The Stone
Satellite
Too Much
Crush (aborted) Dave stops because a string was out of tune
Halloween
Crush
Typical Situation
The Last Stop
Crash into Me
Pig
Don't Drink the Water
Tripping Billies

Encore:
Jimi Thing
So Much to Say

Now that would have been a cool show to go to. Small venue, MTV filming it, great setlist, and really not knowing what BTCS was would have been awesome.

UpsideBlue
10-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Dave Matthews Band
Glen Helen Blockbuster Pavilion, Devore, CA
07/29/00

(Intro)
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
Don't Drink the Water
What Would You Say
I'll Back You Up
Say Goodbye
Grey Street
So Much To Say
Too Much
Bartender
Jimi Thing
Crush
Watchtower
Digging a Ditch
JTR
Tripping Billies

Grace Is Gone
Ants Marching

bungy
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I had tickets to 07.03.2003 but I couldn't get out of work.

Dave Matthews Band
June 18, 2004
Tweeter Center Chicago, Tinley Park, IL

So Much To Say ...> G1
Anyone Seen the Bridge? ...> G1
Pantala Naga Pampa ...> G1
Rapunzel G1
Crazy-Easy G1
When the World Ends G1
Too Much G1
If I Had It All G1
Rhyme and Reason G1
Good Good Time G1
Intro ...> ^ G1
Sugar Will G1
Where Are You Going G1
Warehouse G1
Joy Ride G1
Intro ...> $ G1
Grace Is Gone G1
Jimi Thing G1
Grey Street G1
Hello Again G1
Stay G1
Encore:
Crush G1
What Would You Say G1

Guests:
G1 Butch Taylor

Bluewater34
10-02-2006, 08:50 PM
Dave Matthews Band
June 30, 2003

Oh how I wish I had left when WYA started that night.

Mersh
10-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I don't remember enough about my first show to offer as much as others have. I wasn't wasted or anything it was just a long time ago.

bsan83
10-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Dave Matthews Band
June 30, 2003

The Stone
One Sweet World
Crush
The Song That Jane Likes
If I Had It All
Fool to Think
Bartender
Pay For What You Get
Rhyme and Reason
Dancing Nancies
Cry Freedom
The Last Stop
Crash Into Me ...>
Typical Situation
Ants Marching

Encore:

Digging a Ditch
What You Are

You actually get into this one, or is this just your first attempt?

seekalexup
10-02-2006, 09:18 PM
When i was working at hollywood videos store many fucking years ago, i had a coworker who would connect a playstation into our system and just play DMB all night (mute the television while some disney film was showing)... i didnt really care for them because i was in my metal/punk stage... he would constantly talk about them (concerts and shit) but i had better things to do and listen to... He would force me to listen to them asking me every fucking day, if i liked the CD he let me borrow... i always answered "its okay"...

Having invited to the previous 2 shows prior and refusing to go, I finally caved and went to my first show on halloween night in 98... expecting a mellow snoozer fest type show (remember: i was in my metal/punk stage), i came out a believer and the rest was history... I didnt know half of the songs that were played but was grooving and smiling after the first 2-3 songs or so...

oct.31.1998
Dave Matthews Band
Oakland Arena, Oakland, California

Opening Band: Toots & The Maytals

Don't Drink The Water
Pantala Naga Pampa -->
Rapunzel
Crush
Two Step
Dreaming Tree
Warehouse
Tripping Billies
I'll Back You Up *
Jimi Thing *
Halloween
So Much To Say (Anyone Seen The Bridge) -->
Too Much (Fame)
Encore:
All Along The Watchtower (5 min Chapman Stick intro)

entire set with Tim Reynolds on electric guitar and Greg Howard on Chapman Stick
* with Joshua Redmond on tenor sax

- im kicking myself in the balls for not accepting the invitation to see the 2 previous shows...

-since that show> ive been going to DMB/dave/d and t shows at least 6 times a year topping in 03 (15 i think)- i got a second job to fund for it...

thank you and fuck you at the same time DMB (its a horrible addiction that costs me a lot of money)

watchmanone
10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
7.24.98- Camden

Lie in Our Graves
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
The Last Stop
Seek Up
Satellite
The Stone
Crash into Me
The Dreaming Tree
Don't Drink the Water
One Sweet World
Recently
Anyone Seen the Bridge?
Too Much
---------
Typical Situation
All Along the Watchtower

I remember a couple of things about the show and that day...shoot, the whole experience. I had been listening to the band since '96, and I found out they were playing in NJ a day after my birthday, so my mom got me, her, and my sister seats for the show. As I was getting ready to leave, Stay was playing on MTV. I remember us stopping to eat at a rest stop on the Turnpike, and everyone in the place watching the tv because a guy shot two guards in Congress. I remember getting stuck in that stupid Camden traffic (that day, and 2001 when my friends and I left late, are the two reasons I leave in the morning for Camden now). I remember being there for the Agents of Good Roots, but I dont remember a thing about them. I remember thinking LIOG was amazing, and the Stone was beautiful. My mom and sister thought the little Davespeak at the show was funny. I remember the lights setting the mood for Don't Drink the Water, and the intro to it with Dave muttering something about a radio. And that DDTW was the craziest thing I'd see for a long time.

I also remember getting stuck in traffic coming out. Which is why I hightail it at the end of every show from now on.

Maybe a year later I found a recording of it online, and I swear every night I'd listen to a little of it. Every night when I had to do my homework, that show would be on. It was the soundtrack to that year of school.

bbycrei
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
When i was working at hollywood videos store many fucking years ago, i had a coworker who would connect a playstation into our system and just play DMB all night (mute the television while some disney film was showing)... i didnt really care for them because i was in my metal/punk stage... he would constantly talk about them (concerts and shit) but i had better things to do and listen to... He would force me to listen to them asking me every fucking day, if i liked the CD he let me borrow... i always answered "its okay"...

Having invited to the previous 2 shows prior and refusing to go, I finally caved and went to my first show on halloween night in 98... expecting a mellow snoozer fest type show (remember: i was in my metal/punk stage), i came out a believer and the rest was history... I didnt know half of the songs that were played but was grooving and smiling after the first 2-3 songs or so...

oct.31.1998
Dave Matthews Band
Oakland Arena, Oakland, California

Opening Band: Toots & The Maytals

Don't Drink The Water
Pantala Naga Pampa -->
Rapunzel
Crush
Two Step
Dreaming Tree
Warehouse
Tripping Billies
I'll Back You Up *
Jimi Thing *
Halloween
So Much To Say (Anyone Seen The Bridge) -->
Too Much (Fame)
Encore:
All Along The Watchtower (5 min Chapman Stick intro)

entire set with Tim Reynolds on electric guitar and Greg Howard on Chapman Stick
* with Joshua Redmond on tenor sax

- im kicking myself in the balls for not accepting the invitation to see the 2 previous shows...

-since that show> ive been going to DMB/dave/d and t shows at least 6 times a year topping in 03 (15 i think)- i got a second job to fund for it...

thank you and fuck you at the same time DMB (its a horrible addiction that costs me a lot of money)

Now that's a show.

bbycrei
10-02-2006, 09:26 PM
7.24.98- Camden

Lie in Our Graves
Pantala Naga Pampa
Rapunzel
The Last Stop
Seek Up
Satellite
The Stone
Crash into Me
The Dreaming Tree
Don't Drink the Water
One Sweet World
Recently
Anyone Seen the Bridge?
Too Much
---------
Typical Situation
All Along the Watchtower

I remember a couple of things about the show and that day...shoot, the whole experience. I had been listening to the band since '96, and I found out they were playing in NJ a day after my birthday, so my mom got me, her, and my sister seats for the show. As I was getting ready to leave, Stay was playing on MTV. I remember us stopping to eat at a rest stop on the Turnpike, and everyone in the place watching the tv because a guy shot two guards in Congress. I remember getting stuck in that stupid Camden traffic (that day, and 2001 when my friends and I left late, are the two reasons I leave in the morning for Camden now). I remember being there for the Agents of Good Roots, but I dont remember a thing about them. I remember thinking LIOG was amazing, and the Stone was beautiful. My mom and sister thought the little Davespeak at the show was funny. I remember the lights setting the mood for Don't Drink the Water, and the intro to it with Dave muttering something about a radio. And that DDTW was the craziest thing I'd see for a long time.

I also remember getting stuck in traffic coming out. Which is why I hightail it at the end of every show from now on.

Maybe a year later I found a recording of it online, and I swear every night I'd listen to a little of it. Every night when I had to do my homework, that show would be on. It was the soundtrack to that year of school.

Wish i could go to that show (wasn't a fan yet), one of the best camden sets on paper.

Fan#41
10-02-2006, 09:27 PM
These stories are great guys.

Behrend
10-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I don't remember enough about my first show to offer as much as others have. I wasn't wasted or anything it was just a long time ago.

What was it? The date I mean?

Behrend
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
These stories are great guys.

Thank you for this thread -

I wish we had some more folks whose first show though was pre-1996. I'd love to hear about some more of the club show experiences. . .

Thanks again -

Fan#41
10-02-2006, 09:40 PM
What was it? The date I mean?

If I remember correctly, and this is sad that I remember even Mersh's first show, but I believe it was HORDE '94(8/20/94).

celluloid hero
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
I'd love to hear about some more of the club show experiences. . .

Thanks again -

download the Minarets archive from the front page of dmbalmanac.com

mikeseils
10-02-2006, 10:34 PM
Sorry for the grammar below, I'm exhausted....

My first show was also ten years ago this week (10-4-96, MSG). I went with my girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) and a bunch of our friends-- I was 18 at the time. Musically the show was incredible, we did get a strange guest appearance by M. Doughty during So Much To Say (a very early vesion of ASTB). 41, Say Goodbye openers were a great 1,2 start. We also saw a very memorable encore with John Popper for WWYS and Watchtower.

Our seats were awful, but this show was the first of many DMB shows for me. I remember dancing so much that I couldnt stand (turns out that I actually had mono and was subsequently out of school for the following 6 weeks).

Say Goodbye
Lie In Our Graves
Two Step
Rhyme & Reason
Crash Into Me
Too Much
Jimi Thing
So Much To Say (Little Baby Jam) *
True Reflections
Warehouse
Recently
Drive In, Drive Out
Tripping Billies -->
Ants Marching
Encore:
What Would You Say **
All Along the Watchtower **

* with M. Doughty
** with John Popper

Tomacco
10-02-2006, 10:38 PM
My first show was:

December 16th, 2002
Blue Cross Arena
Rochester, NY

Don't Drink the Water
One Sweet World (instrumental intro)
Seek Up
Grey Street (last full version)
Captain
Too Much
Lie in Our Graves
What Would You Say
Loving Wings
Sleep to Dream Her >
Grace is Gone
Drive in Drive Out
(Halloween)
Where Are You Going
All Along the Watchtower
Everyday (#36)

And here's my very long DMB origin story:

I started getting into DMB in December 2001, and throughout 2002 my fandom grew and grew. I was in 11th grade and lots of friends around me were either really into them or getting into them, but all I was hearing at the time was I Did it on the radio stations, which I didn't like, and I couldn't understand what the appeal was. I remember hearing The Space Between eventually on advertisements for Black Hawk Down, and then again on an episode of SNL performed by the band themselves, and I kinda liked the song. So, I decided to ask a couple friends to hook me up with a few more songs.

In whatever order, I remember the first songs I was into were Big Eyed Fish (LWS), Crash Into Me, Lie In Our Graves, Granny (Luther College), Seek Up, Satellite, Two Step, So Much to Say, Crush, and Stay. I listened to these songs repeatedly throughout the winter and then in March a friend of mine introduced me to the bridge and I started slowly and gradually learning about the DMB community, and live stuff. Although it took me awhile to actually listen to any live shows (torrents weren't around yet, friends were basically the only avenues I knew of to get shows). I didn't really visit the bridge more than once a week either. However, I watched LS on video at another friend's house during the Spring, and more songs jumped out at me (I distinctly remember enjoying True Reflections to be honest, as well as Long Black Veil). However, I also remember the long jams (#41, Jimi Thing) did nothing for me, and I got impatient during them. I guess I wasn't ready for that yet. WAYG was just released though, and I was really into that at the time.

July came and the same friend who got me onto the bridge sent me the leak of Busted Stuff. I was already into WAYG and BEF from the LWS, so I was very interested to hear it. This is where my fandom exploded. Grace is Gone and Digging a Ditch were definitely the initial standout tracks for me, and moved me very much. Grey Street and Bartender really did it for me as well. I loved the leak so much that I bought the album when it was released in stores two weeks later. HMV was having a ridiculous sale where you got a free video of Listener Supported that day if you bought Busted Stuff, so I scored a free copy of that too, and after watching that a few more times I did grow to love the extended jams. Within the next week I owned UTTAD and Crash, which occupied my ears on a weekend trip up to Mt Tremblant. I still have very vivid memories of listening to BOWA outside by the pool, and just feeling extreme joy and relaxation.

Anyways, after the trip, I bought BTCS, which later became my favorite album. Around this time a couple friends of mine were going to the Darien Lake shows. I was envious since I had totally missed the ticket sales period back in the winter. But in the fall, the winter tour was announced and I was pulling out all the stops to see if I could manage to go to Rochester, which was the closest show. I frankly didn't care where the show was, I just knew I had to attend one of them. Problem was that since most people I knew attended either the Toronto, Buffalo or Darien shows in the spring/summer, nobody wanted to go out to Rochester in the midst of winter to see another show. In the end, my dad saved my ass. He saw how much I was dying to go, and how much I was trying to arrange something, so he took the Monday off work and the two of us went for the night. He knew a lot of DMB songs from my exposure and enjoyed a fair bit of them, so he was interested enough as well, and figured it'd be a good bonding experience too.

It's been almost 4 years, but the whole experience of the show is still so vivid, and I've listened to Naylor's recording so many times that I know just about every note of the show. I should probably also mention that this was my first ever rock concert, period, too. So, just about everything was exciting to me. I was giddy when I saw a bunch of people standing outside in the blizzardly snow holding "WE LOVE DMB" posters. I knew this was gonna be a special experience if people loved it enough to stand out in the cold 3 hours before showtime holding signs. Inside the venue, everything was making me excited. I adored visiting the merch stand and getting myself a tour shirt (which is still my favorite tour shirt), and getting to my seat as I watched people gradually fill up the little arena. I was incredibly impatient during Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, waiting on pins and needles for them to finish and for DMB to arrive. Dave introducing Denson was such a tease for me, I didn't want him to leave.

When the lights went down, I didn't know what to do with myself. After some noodling, DMB busts into DDTW (an opener I'd recently been enjoying on the Folsom DVD) and I'm at a loss for words or reaction. I just stood there, not knowing what to do with myself, having never even been to a concert before. It was overwhelming. I came to my sense after a minute and sang along and air drummed. One Sweet World had the beautiful intro (which I had only discovered a month before this show), which I loved hearing. But it was all ecstacy when Dave picked the first notes of Seek Up. One of my absolute truest favorite DMB songs. I also knew it was the tour debut and how rare the song generally was, so I felt beyond lucky. Boyd's solo was just unbelievable on this version as well. I was ecstatic to hear anything of Busted Stuff too, so the Grey Street (full 3 verses) and Captain follow-up was joyous, although during Captain I experienced my first "crowd talking over songs" scene. I actually found it appalling that people could be talking during it. Again, never been to a concert before. Two songs later they busted into the tour debut of LIOG and that was it. I was done. The night could have ended there, I was in heaven, flipping out. The rest of the show was honestly just gravy. Watchtower, Grace, and DIDO were probably my remaining highlights.

I left the show higher than I've ever been, feeling so unbelievably amazing. It remains one of the best-feeling moments of my life still. Words can't describe it. I was buzzing for days after it, hungry for more, excited as hell for the next summer tour and frustrated at how long the wait ahead of me was going to be.

All in all, I honestly hope everyone's first DMB concert experience was as amazing as mine was.

one sweet blunt
10-02-2006, 11:28 PM
first show 7/16/00

fucking the best time ive had at a dmb show and ive been to 11. ill never forget my first time

morgadt
10-03-2006, 01:39 AM
7/8/02

I was a tour newbie. I had been a fan since the release of Crash, but I never got to go to a show. It was July 8, and I still remember that sunny July day. This was my first time to ever go to Hifi Buys, and I could of sworn it was going to be the last. I got there early, to get a good seat on the lawn and I had a pretty good view. The bluesy sounds of the Allstars from North Mississippi screamed through thier guitar strings and into my ears, I was very pleased what I was hearing. It was actually the first time I had ever even heard of them.
When Dave himself walked on to the stage as the band followed, I got to admit, I had goose bumps. He started playing the chords to Everyday and I was satisfied, I was just glad to hear my first DMB song live. I just watched my favorite band on stage from the lawn bobbing to the music almost in disbelief that I was seeing DMB. A tiny girl next to me who looked like she could of been atleast 18-30 approached my Dad. "Hey", she said as she looked at the orange sun, "Do you remember those life savers commericals where the son and the father are looking into the sun set and sharing a pack of life savers?" This was one of the fans I remember from that show. That girl wasn't young, but she was tiny...she was fiiiiiiine. She frolocked to the beat of Everyday with a free spirit, and tried to dance with me. She was pretty cool, probably one of the cooler DMB fans I would meet.

One of things about this show as many first timers will say is that there are many rare songs that I just couldn't appreciate as a newbie. The third song they played was You never Know, and I just remember thinking, "Okay...this is new...different...kind of like it." There are many others I would never hear live again like The Stone and Raven!!( I don't even remember this one)

Jimi Thing was probably a highlight of the show, I got to see David Ryan Harris jam out. By this time the night sky was up, and the lights were in rhythm to Carter's beat. Everybody was groving on stage, and I could tell the fans were diggin' the electric addition to the band that night.

I was such a fan of Crash upon its realease and when I heard the opening riff to LIOG it put a smile on my face. The frat guys in front of me were going wild, as they high fived eachother and jumped with excitement. I really enjoyed the extended jam, because well I've never heard LIOG live before.

The set was coming to a close, but I was sure to stay, because I knew they had to put on an encore. I remembered my friend claimed they played Watchtower as an encore closer every set. All I knew was I'm glad to be here seeing my favorite band and thinking "Did Dave just ask me to get on my knees, mother fucker?"

Seeing and hearing Gravedigger for the first time was pretty haunting. I didnt know what the hell this was at first. I just remember seeing Dave put so much passion and emotion into this song. I thought it was pretty damn good.

Frat guys started chanting Two step, and I don't if this was planned out, but they played the intro and the 16 minute song was on its way. Again, I've never heard any DMB song live so I was pretty impressed. Now, I think that particular Two step would be boring. The screen was flashing rapidly of Carter's banging of the drums, the crowd was cheering, the energy in the crowdwas ...high. As was the note the Band left out on even though they didn't play Watchtower. I remember waiting to make sure it was over, but I heard the music that signaled the crowd to head out. I headed up the lawn and followed the legions of fans that marched towards the exit. When I reached the bottom of the stairs near the concorse of the Ampitheatre, I stopped at one of the Merch tables and got my first DMB shirt.

All in all, it was a pretty good concert. However, a lot of my friends who are old school fans disagreed. All I knew was I got to hear Jimi, David Ryan Harris, LIOG... damn what else did I like back then? Well, theres always a first for everything.

Everyday *
Grey Street *
You Never Know *
When The World Ends *
The Stone *
Raven *
Loving Wings *
Where Are You Going *
I Did It *
Song That Jane Likes *
Jimi Thing *+
Fool To Think *
Lie In Our Graves *
Satellite *
Grace Is Gone *
What You Are *

Encore:
Gravedigger
Two Step *

jsandr
10-03-2006, 01:56 AM
12/29/1996
Dave Matthews Band
USAir Arena
Landover, MD

Say Goodbye
Rhyme & Reason
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Satellite
So Much To Say
Too Much
Granny
Two Step (bela)
Crash (bela, paul mccandless)
Minarets (bela, paul)
Typical Situation (bela, paul)
Lie In Our Graves (bela)
Tripping Billies (bela)
Ants Marching

not much to say. pretty fucking cool. #41 > Say Goodbye to open couldn't have been any better. those 2 tracks were what i loved from crash. looking back, Jane, Minarets, Typical, Graves... holy shit. what a cool show.

NOT quite as good as a few days later... but cute nonetheless.

first time seeing Bela and the tones.

funny that my first 3 times seeing the band, Bela & The Flecktones guested this show, 6/15/97 and then Herbie Hancock on 8/22/98. (and 8/23)

PaulVick578
10-03-2006, 07:43 AM
Dave Matthews Band
March 23, 1995
Arapaho, Paris, Ile-de-France

Seek Up
Two Step
Best of What's Around
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Granny
What Would You Say
Pay For What You Get
Recently
Nature ...>
Tripping Billies
Say Goodbye
Jimi Thing
Ants Marching
Encore:
I'll Back You Up
Halloween

bsan83
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
12/29/1996
Dave Matthews Band
USAir Arena
Landover, MD

Say Goodbye
Rhyme & Reason
Dancing Nancies
Warehouse
Satellite
So Much To Say
Too Much
Granny
Two Step (bela)
Crash (bela, paul mccandless)
Minarets (bela, paul)
Typical Situation (bela, paul)
Lie In Our Graves (bela)
Tripping Billies (bela)
Ants Marching

not much to say. pretty fucking cool. #41 > Say Goodbye to open couldn't have been any better. those 2 tracks were what i loved from crash. looking back, Jane, Minarets, Typical, Graves... holy shit. what a cool show.

NOT quite as good as a few days later... but cute nonetheless.

first time seeing Bela and the tones.

funny that my first 3 times seeing the band, Bela & The Flecktones guested this show, 6/15/97 and then Herbie Hancock on 8/22/98. (and 8/23)

I have this show on CD somewhere. I really need to dig it up, because it's sweet as all hell.

tritonman
10-03-2006, 08:06 AM
god i love those 95 setlists. good stories guys, keep them coming.

mattinmass
10-03-2006, 08:10 AM
n00bs

UfckYourFace
10-03-2006, 08:16 AM
At my first show we gave some kid an Altoid and told him it was e. He believed it.

I'm pretty sure it was Smittay.

bsan83
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
At my first show we gave some kid an Altoid and told him it was e. He believed it.

I'm pretty sure it was Smittay.

Whether he believed it or not, I think that's just Smittay naturally acts like that.

Kerwin
10-03-2006, 10:18 AM
i saw them perform a short set in 1994 with other artists. but its really hard to recall at this time. we were kinda in and out. sadly, i dont consider it my first show.

so officially my first dmb experience

11/30/98
Opening Band: Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

The Last Stop **
Satellite *
LeRoi Intro -->
Pantala Naga Pampa * ->
Rapunzel *
Don't Drink the Water **
Lie In Our Graves **
Crush *
Stay *
Say Goodbye
Jimi Thing
Rhyme and Reason
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken) **
Two Step ** (Tim and Bela Deuling Banjos in the middle)
-------------------------------
I'll Back You Up (only Carter, Tim, Butch, and Dave)
Warehouse *

entire show with Tim Reynolds
* with Butch Taylor
** with Bela Fleck and Butch Taylor

I remember standing there being blown away by what i had just seen. I was more into the radio friendly hits at the time and i was really surprised by how much the band JAMMED AND JAMMED. You look at this setlist now and see how amazing it is. But if you go back to winter of 1998, not too many people knew who tim reynolds and bela fleck were. There was a lot of backlash to BTCS the album so a lot of people at the show complained that it was BTCS heavy (things never change) I wish i could go back to this show and know what i know now and appreciate it more.

Its a feeling i had and im starting to go back to it now: I am blown away by the musicianship on stage more than the songs. that how it was at this show.

the day itself was a scramble. I got a ticket THAT day from a ticket agency near my house. I remember going to my friends house and asking him if he wants to go see dmb tonight and he said no, i dont have the money. i went to my other friends house and he said " i really dont feel like hearing songs from their new album, their not dmb anymore (LOL). I finally convinced my brother in law to go with me. This was also his first exposure to dmb and he was hooked after this too.

I knew dmb was playing 2 nights but i could only afford this night. I had heard a rumor that they change thier sets up every night. It was a cold night. my bro in law drove to the show. We just parked. we saw people drinking outside and we just headed in the venue. I got a t shirt that i still have and will never get rid of. We sat in our seats when bela fleck was on. (keep in mind they were not as OMG bela then) I just sat and waited for the band to come on. lights went down.

Last stop opened. (keep in mind, it wasnt OMG last stop then, it was just a song from the new album)

from there on out i was just so impressed how much this band kicked ass live. and alls i kept thinking was "thier studio albums are nothing like they are live" I remember leaving the show blown away but a little dissapointed that i diddnt hear WWYS, BILLIES and ANTS. LOL As were many people. Crazy eh?

Its great to think back to the basics of what you love about this band. Ive started doing it in the last 2 years. between 01 and 04 i became overly indulged in every setlist and what the band should and should not play, and i started becoming overly critical and i was thinking.."where did my passion go?"

Relax. enjoy the musicians playing together. stop expecting songs. enjoy the atmosphere. We all need to go back to the basics of the first show we ever went to. Its really a cool feeling. I enjoyed every show i went to in 2005 and 2006 including the panned Cville night 2 just because i re set my mind to think differently now. Enjoy the music. its not going to be here forever. We all need to reflect on our first show. Good stuff!

angster1
10-03-2006, 10:46 AM
4.20.02 MCI center.... HUGE FIGHT in the subway after it was crazy. Great Pig that night

warehouseboy
10-03-2006, 11:07 AM
07/05/2003
Dave Matthews Band
Alpine Valley Music Theatre
East Troy, WI

Grey Street
Crush
When The World Ends
Say Goodbye
Loving Wings
Where Are You Going
What Would You Say
Angel
Ants Marching
Cry Freedom
Last Stop
The Stone
If I Had It All
Satellite
Jimi Thing
Two Step

Encore:
The Maker
Rapunzel

I don't remember most of it, but from what I remember, it was a really good show. The second half of the show was awesome.

jumpin joey
10-03-2006, 04:55 PM
7/30/01

I tried getting tickets to the winter tour for albany but was shut out, so i was real excited to go to SPAC. This was my first concert of any sort so i was psyched. i went with my dad because i was only 15 at the time and met up with some people. it was cool cause my grandfather came from korea and we went to boston for sightseeing then came down to saratoga springs. that's what i remember about my first concert. after that i loved SPAC so much, i went every year following that except this past tour.

Rowsdower
10-03-2006, 09:22 PM
Dave Matthews Band
June 11, 2001
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

When the World Ends G1
Best of What's Around G1 G2 G3 G4
Granny G2 G3 G4
Big Eyed Fish ...> ^ G1
Bartender
I Did It G1 G2 G3 G4
If I Had It All G1 G2 G3 G4
Pantala Naga Pampa ...> G1
Rapunzel G1
Sleep to Dream Her ...> G1
Grace Is Gone ...>
Drive In Drive Out G1
What You Are G1
Fool to Think G1 G2 G3 G4
Lie In Our Graves G1
Angel G1 G2 G3 G4
True Reflections G1 G2 G3 G4
What Would You Say

Encore:
The Space Between G1 G2 G3 G4
Two Step G1

I sat second row center for this show. At this point, I really didn't know anything about DMB. However, I was completely floored by not only how they performed, but how into them the crowd was. This was, of course, a 2001 show, so the setlist wasn't mind blowing. At the time, I didn't know any better and was blown away. I've recently attended my 50th show, so my first show really made a monster of me.

Rowsdower
10-03-2006, 09:23 PM
I'll Back You Up (only Carter, Tim, Butch, and Dave)
Warehouse *

Holy incredible encore! My Goodness.

Welsh
10-03-2006, 09:24 PM
It was Hershey in 99. I had attempted to see them in 98 and 97, but I was a poor college student with cheap friends. Big mistake. Show was good, the most vivid memories were Lie In Our Graves and Jimi Thing. So Much and Too Much were great, and I was happy to hear the Bridge, which I wasn't expecting. At the time, Rapunzel was high on my list of favs....so it was great overall.

When I listen back now......the show sucked.

celluloid hero
10-03-2006, 11:01 PM
It was Hershey in 99. I had attempted to see them in 98 and 97, but I was a poor college student with cheap friends. Big mistake. Show was good, the most vivid memories were Lie In Our Graves and Jimi Thing. So Much and Too Much were great, and I was happy to hear the Bridge, which I wasn't expecting. At the time, Rapunzel was high on my list of favs....so it was great overall.

That Rhyme and Reason is ridiculously good also. One of my favorites.

wezvidz
10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Night 1 of Comerica (Detroit) 6/3/01 I believe. Got really high at the show with the buddies who dragged me to it. Don't remember much but I remember being really impressed. We were like a mile from the stage, stupid stadiums.

Kerwin
10-04-2006, 12:06 PM

of my 51 shows ive seen that is still my least favorite. horrible show. horrible vibe that night.

Fan#41
10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Went and listened to 10/1/96 today. 16 years today. Damn.

morgadt
10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Wow...don't remember writing that essay. But, I still haven't heard the tape of my show and I should dl it. It'll take me back.

julio_havok
10-08-2012, 05:05 PM
I remember being really anxious, trying to guess what would be the first song. I couldn't believe when Ben Harper finished his show and I saw Carter's kit on the stage. When they started Two Step, me and my friends went nuts, jumping and singing as loud as we could.

Some of us cried when they played So Damn Lucky and DIDO (with Leon Mobley) was an amazing surprise.

When the main set ended, many people got disappointed thinking the band would not play #41 that night.

Dave Matthews Band
September 28, 2008
About Us Festival São Paulo
Chácara do Jockey, São Paulo, SP, BRA

Two Step
What Would You Say
Corn Bread
Satellite
Dancing Nancies
Crash Into Me
So Damn Lucky
Eh Hee »