PDA

View Full Version : Current Studio Work

nogerorob
11-10-2006, 01:10 AM
I suppose the best thing to do is just pick things up and get going here...

So they're back in the studio now. That's great. I haven't been following things super closely, do we have anything other than notification from Stefan in his blog?

Does Dave's solo european solo tour mean that they'll wrap the album in a few months with all the holidays interrupting?

Marjorie
11-10-2006, 01:13 AM
I hope and pray that they are doing some ground work and then are going to take a break. The latest rumor I've heard/read is that its the band solo without Baston yet

dsera
11-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Yeah I swear if the new songs from the summer don't make the cut, I'm going to turn into bsan34 around here. :lmao

last72stop
11-10-2006, 02:10 AM
Yeah I swear if the new songs from the summer don't make the cut, I'm going to turn into bsan34 around here. :lmao

hah

sarge
11-10-2006, 03:06 AM
:lol i feel the same way. the new songs better not go the way of the '04 material

Bob Dylan
11-10-2006, 09:22 AM
I am worried about them going into the studio already. I think Matthews voice wasnt ready for it. Maybe should have waited till spring. His voice didnt sound all that great at all the Fall 06 shows they had.

He also may need to stop smoking.

dsera
11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I am worried about them going into the studio already. I think Matthews voice wasnt ready for it. Maybe should have waited till spring. His voice didnt sound all that great at all the Fall 06 shows they had.

Well he did keep saying in SB that he stopped smoking but with Dave you can never tell what's true and what he's making up on the spot for entertainment.

Bob Dylan
11-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Well he did keep saying in SB that he stopped smoking but with Dave you can never tell what's true and what he's making up on the spot for entertainment.

Ya I am lost why is voice was so bad at the Stones shows and Farm Aid and D+T shows with the long layoffs he had between shows. There is nothing but I can think of but smoking.

dsera
11-10-2006, 09:33 AM
Ya I am lost why is voice was so bad at the Stones shows and Farm Aid and D+T shows with the long layoffs he had between shows. There is nothing but I can think of but smoking.
You thought his voice was bad at the SB shows? You crazy!

Bob Dylan
11-10-2006, 09:38 AM
You thought his voice was bad at the SB shows? You crazy!It wasnt that bad but he didnt prefore the songs the way he did in the past seemed he was holding back a little. Also he kept turning and coughing and making refrences to his voice and this cough droups he kept eating and kept clearing his throat. There was definately something wrong.

Crumbo
11-10-2006, 09:41 AM

hmmm ;)

bsan83
11-10-2006, 09:51 AM

:hi

dsera
11-10-2006, 09:54 AM
:hi
:lol I had to make sure you saw that one

bsan83
11-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I'll try spare everyone the immature hysterics for, oh, a week or so. :)

dsera
11-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Awesome. I give it a month of happy posters until hell breaks loose.

bsan83
11-10-2006, 10:00 AM
The bridge was a fucking lovefest for a couple of months when that first opened, if I remember right.

tsvb
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I'm interested in seeing how this place is moderated. Is mersh moving here?

dsera
11-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm interested in seeing how this place is moderated. Is mersh moving here?
View forum leaders.

sarge
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
very big of you :lol

Jack
11-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I am worried about them going into the studio already. I think Matthews voice wasnt ready for it.

Can't Stop. Won't Stop.

guy's an addict. In his words, "You know what it's like when you've got something that's so good, but you know it's not going to last. Take it while you can cause they'll leave you behind with a broken heart y'all."

PeeJay151
11-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I hope we don't see another album any time soon... and by that I mean I hope they take a loooong time to make it

julio_havok
11-17-2006, 08:00 AM
If Shotgun, The Idea Of You and Kill The King are on it, it will be good. :)

vox
11-17-2006, 09:11 AM
I love The Idea of You and Kill the King and I really hope they make the cut.

Smittay
11-17-2006, 09:30 AM
i heard someone has a tentative tracklist from the studio .... srsly

raven
11-17-2006, 09:34 AM
:lol uh oh

bsan83
11-17-2006, 09:36 AM

Is it erikb, or just his coworkers?

Smittay
11-17-2006, 09:37 AM
its some girl with a portable scanner

shes gunna scan it then beam it to me on my handheld

im in line outside best buy, but i'll do my best to put it up... unless one of those drive-bys happen again

Strugz10
11-17-2006, 10:22 AM

:boohoo

n0t a n00b
11-17-2006, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't mind if they ditched all the new songs except Shotgun. I think the others are going to be pretty boring in the studio. The new songs overall are the worst crop of new songs we've seen since Everyday. I am tired of being so optimistic about every studio album.

lude
11-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I thought it would take a while before we had fake track lists.

Wescoast
11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
The new songs overall are the worst crop of new songs we've seen since Everyday.

umm

Gary.
11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
I'd rather take more awesome LT releases over another studio debacle.

Babbit
11-17-2006, 01:22 PM
Keep: The Idea Of You, Kill The King, Shotgun, Sister
Drop: Break Free, Can't Stop
Bring Back: Sugar Will, Crazy Easy, Good Good Time, Hold Me Down, Monkey Man

greppson
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I disagree with dropping Break Free. That is easily one of my favorites from the summer.

nogerorob
11-17-2006, 01:37 PM

I'd drop KTK and Sister as well. IOY and Shotgun are the very best and would be great on the new release. Sister could come out on his next solo album instead. Also, Sugar Will and GGT are my picks on your bring back list.

lude
11-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I disagree with dropping Break Free. That is easily one of my favorites from the summer.One of my favorites too however if this:

was the tracklist I'd blow my load.

FishMonkeyMan
11-17-2006, 01:41 PM

he was probably sick, whenever he gets a cold his voice gets so bad people think hes ruined for all time... and as for the dave and tim run he said in santa barbara that it was part hangover part dry desert air that fucked him up.

also, its better if htey go into the studio when his voice sounds like shit, they wont have to record vocals for a while they can work on music, and then save vocals and **lyrics** for later.

FishMonkeyMan
11-17-2006, 01:42 PM
there is absolutely zero chance of them dropping cant stop... and i dont see why anyone would want breakfree to go.

Minarets
11-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Sister is about the only one i wouldnt mind seeing go.

Wescoast
11-17-2006, 03:06 PM
id be surprised if sister is on the album.

breakfree? some of you really dont want it? wow. and i like cant stop and think it is a song that, when not overplayed, will become well liked.

a great start to the album to me...

JTR
Shotgun
Breakfree
Can't Stop
Idea of You
Sugar Will
Good Good Time

this has some energy, some good jamming and all set a mood for an album...

BeQuietAndDrive
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
I really dislike Can't Stop in its current form but I most certainly am not against them developing it in the studio. However, it's my complete lack of faith in them actually developing it that makes me cringe.

Minarets
11-17-2006, 03:37 PM
oh, i also really have no desire for a GGT. i think the way ot was played with DMB was borderline borring and lacking somthing, imo. the way it was played with D&T was great.

ggies
11-17-2006, 03:42 PM
oh, i also really have no desire for a GGT. i think the way ot was played with DMB was borderline borring and lacking somthing, imo. the way it was played with D&T was great.

perhaps a Tim or Trey would fill the something?

Babbit
11-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Break Free does nothing for me. Decent (but generic) riff, empty lyrics, boring jam...Sister has more feeling and honesty (something missing from a lot of Dave's lyrics these days) than most of the new songs...sure, it's Dave solo right now but I think it could be a sweet little LLD-type song...honest, mellow and a good track to have late in the album...

ggies
11-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Break Free does nothing for me. Decent (but generic) riff, empty lyrics, boring jam...Sister has more feeling and honesty (something missing from a lot of Dave's lyrics these days) than most of the new songs...sure, it's Dave solo right now but I think it could be a sweet little LLD-type song...honest, mellow and a good track to have late in the album...

yeah, I could see that happening with that song. I agree about his lyrics, I'm hoping for some honest, meaningful ones on this next album.

TDunk
11-17-2006, 07:20 PM
he was probably sick, whenever he gets a cold his voice gets so bad people think hes ruined for all time... and as for the dave and tim run he said in santa barbara that it was part hangover part dry desert air that fucked him up.

also, its better if htey go into the studio when his voice sounds like shit, they wont have to record vocals for a while they can work on music, and then save vocals and **lyrics** for later.

I thought he sounded fine in SB.

FishMonkeyMan
11-17-2006, 07:27 PM
I thought he sounded fine in SB.

i did too, he was the one apologizing though.

priceofacoke910
11-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Listen to the Jam from 8.15.06...that is definately not a boring jam. The whole band is into it. Now Fenway's is boring. The first couple were really mellow but not boring to me. Those early ones were like Sugar Will in that they were not "fast energy" but put you in a groove.

n0t a n00b
11-17-2006, 09:08 PM
I know I shitted on the new songs, but is Can't Stop a breathe of fresh air to anybody else?
I know it's very underdeveloped, but i think it is a pretty cool track. Daves voice and Stefans groove is just something a little different for a change IMO.

nogerorob
11-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I think that Idea of You was the only truly great DMB song to come out of 2006. I could take or leave the rest. I did like the rainbows lyrics from shotgun though.

priceofacoke910
11-17-2006, 09:24 PM
I know I shitted on the new songs, but is Can't Stop a breathe of fresh air to anybody else?
I know it's very underdeveloped, but i think it is a pretty cool track. Daves voice and Stefans groove is just something a little different for a change IMO.
I really like Can't Stop too. It was pretty sweet in Atlanta after the Break Free, SMTS-ASTB-Too Much run and then going into Warehouse definately a plus. Dave's voice was perfect that night too.

groove merchant
11-17-2006, 09:28 PM
break free could have been on stand up. i really hope it does not make the cut when the new album drops. cant stop...eh, not sure about this one. IOY, shotgun, and a slightly re-worked kill the king are the only things i see so far. maybe something we dont know about yet will be the best thing. dave speaks of big things with this new album...lets say christmas 2007.

Smylie
11-17-2006, 09:57 PM
Break Free and Can't Stop should be scrapped...
Kill the King and Shotgun need to be on the album forsure. Idea of You as well if Dave can write some decent lyrics.

groove merchant
11-17-2006, 10:02 PM
Break Free and Can't Stop should be scrapped...
Kill the King and Shotgun need to be on the album forsure. Idea of You as well if Dave can write some decent lyrics.

the fenway version was getting close to good...

thestand
11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
The perfect end to the album would be-

Shotgun OR Sugar Will (long fade, 5-10 seconds of no noise at the end of track)
Loving Wings

d1gw33d
11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
You know what would be really bad ass.. if they had the new album available in 5.1 DD. Or any album for that matter. Maybe I'm ignorant to the technical side, but why don't we see this? I'd imagine if they can squeez a 24bit mix, 5.1 wouldn't be any problem aside from the work to make it 5.1.. any thoughts?

groove merchant
11-17-2006, 10:07 PM
id love a 5.1 album. hell i dont know why its not standard...well i do know but to hell with ya if ya cant support 5.1 DS

nogerorob
11-18-2006, 01:30 AM
id love a 5.1 album. hell i dont know why its not standard...well i do know but to hell with ya if ya cant support 5.1 DS
What was the deal with Stand Up? I seem to remember some bogus 5.1 on that or something.

groove merchant
11-18-2006, 09:32 AM
the double disc thing? it has a digital track listing on the DVD. ill have to go look but i dont know if it was in 5.1 surround. 24bit digital audio i think was the deal. it sounds killer.

bsan83
11-18-2006, 09:42 AM

Loving Wings

That would be sweet. :upyours

oshman800
11-18-2006, 11:45 AM

Loving Wings

loving wings should be on this album

akleiner34
11-18-2006, 11:48 AM
If they want to go and cut the 04 songs, I say cut BreakFree and CantStop. Id rather see Crazy-easy and Sugar Will come back.

OceanSoGood
11-18-2006, 11:54 AM
not a lot of love for break free huh, i mean the lyrics are pretty simple with a repetitive jam, but i dont want to lose this song forever. rashawn, roi and carter bring so much energy towards the end of the song when played live, but obviously it could be lacking as a studio track - i'm really up in the air about it

thestand
11-18-2006, 12:03 PM
If they want to go and cut the 04 songs, I say cut BreakFree and CantStop. Id rather see Crazy-easy and Sugar Will come back.If it HAS to be a sacrifice, I say cut Can't Stop for Sugar Will, but honestly, depending on finalized lyrics, I'd take Break Free over Crazy Easy.

misteranderson41
11-18-2006, 01:29 PM

dave sounded great in santa barbara......touring and yelling and screaming every night for an extended period can put a strain on anyone's voice, he ll be fine in the studio.......whether he wants to sound 100% or not is another question, last time they just had him record on the spot....heres hopin he takes his time singing....sd had some good vocals.......

dmb2much40
11-18-2006, 01:53 PM
loving wings should be on this album

i was glad to see it pop up again this summer. if it doesn't make the album, i hope it at least sticks around.

Vincent
11-18-2006, 03:02 PM
I disagree with dropping Break Free. That is easily one of my favorites from the summer.
break free jammed this summer with rashawn
what happens in studio?

Gary.
11-18-2006, 03:03 PM
break free smells of swiss.

Nova Scotia
11-18-2006, 03:50 PM
i can't see SW coming back. pipe dream.

ggies
11-18-2006, 04:42 PM
i can't see SW coming back. pipe dream.

I think it classic DMB material. I mean, you don't how a structured song that last for 4-5 min., they just start playing and trade off solos, its great to me. Its what they use to do anyway. They're just jamming, not trying to bring the "energy".

That's it, Sir.
11-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I like Break Free, I think it'd make a good studio track. I think the key element here would be to include lots of guests and spend enough time to write some solid songs in the studio. If they took a year to in the studio I think we'd have an awesome album. Also, they should bring back the 04 songs minus GGT, that would make a good Dave solo track, that is if he decides to put out another solo effort.

Fan#41
11-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I like Break Free, I think it'd make a good studio track. I think the key element here would be to include lots of guests and spend enough time to write some solid songs in the studio. If they took a year to in the studio I think we'd have an awesome album. Also, they should bring back the 04 songs minus GGT, that would make a good Dave solo track, that is if he decides to put out another solo effort.

Hmm I never thought about GGT being a Dave solo track. That's actually a pretty cool idea.

That's it, Sir.
11-18-2006, 07:46 PM
It could go both ways, I guess.

Fan#41
11-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I never really cared for the DMB versions. I still love D&F's performance from Bonnaroo '04 the best.

bsan83
11-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I think Sugar Will and Good Good Time get released in some form, some day. Could be on a future DMB album, could be on a Dave solo album, but those tunes will be released some way.

Pete
11-18-2006, 07:52 PM
I don't see Break Free going anywhere... the guitar lick along with the mandolin is infectious. This song would be great if it gets some lyrical treatment (a big 'if' considering it seemed Dave had them down pat, which is largely why I think it'll stick around).

The ending with the horns is fun but feels a little forced. I only hope that that is not the result of fans chiding them over the shorter track lengths on Stand Up.

Pete
11-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I still love D&F's performance from Bonnaroo '04 the best.
I'm the same way, and I think DMB's GGT spiraled downward somewhat along the lines of Crazy-Easy over the course of the tour. Dave tried to make GGT more than it is, IMO. With D&F it was simple and sweet, and if it makes an album (which I hope it does) I think it will be something along the lines of AB Intro on SU.

FishMonkeyMan
11-18-2006, 08:00 PM
i hope good good time is never ruined by being put on an album.. its an improv concert song that should be back in occasional rotation, and that i enjoyed alot, but if it ever made an album it would be like everyday when it evolved from #36, and then everyone would bitch about it constantly..

the song is one of those that is better suited to improve live lyrics, and i cant really see working as a "finished song", unlike everything else from 04, and 06.

bidroc
11-18-2006, 08:18 PM
i like the look of this site

MaLaKaS
11-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Yea, it is far fetched, but Crazy-Easy should be given one more chance.

warehouseguy
11-19-2006, 02:17 PM
What would rock for me:

1 "African Jam" from Fonz's early blog entry
2 Break Free
3 Idea of You
4 Kill the King
5 JTR
6 Can't Stop
7 Run While We Can
8 SOMETHING JAZZY SOUNDING HERE LIKE CRUSH
9 Sister
10 "Country Jam" from Stand up Sessions Web site
11 Intro to Shotgun -->
12 Shotgun

bonus bsides
1 Loving Wings
2 Crazy-Easy
3 Sugar Will

captainbluntmofo
11-19-2006, 02:33 PM
My only hope is that cheesy lyrics don't show up and that it isn't a commerical record only.

captainbluntmofo
11-19-2006, 02:33 PM
I hope that Richie Havens jam shows up.

timh.
11-19-2006, 02:56 PM
7 Run While We Can

have you heard this song? or are you just saying it because you've seen the name around and the fact that it never made it out of soundcheck makes it desirable to you based solely on it's rare status?

because as one who has heard it, it wasnt very good... pretty poor lyrics and uninteresting music, and if they dont pursue this in the studio it is more than ok with me.

ethaxton
11-19-2006, 02:59 PM
What would rock for me:

1 "African Jam" from Fonz's early blog entry
2 Break Free
3 Idea of You
4 Kill the King
5 JTR
6 Can't Stop
7 Run While We Can
8 SOMETHING JAZZY SOUNDING HERE LIKE CRUSH
9 Sister
10 "Country Jam" from Stand up Sessions Web site
11 Intro to Shotgun -->
12 Shotgun

bonus bsides
1 Loving Wings
2 Crazy-Easy
3 Sugar Will

Sister on a full band cd? :screwy

Carter41
11-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Sister on a full band cd? :screwy

I agree. Kinda weird. Maybe they could pull off something similar to what they did with Let You Down. That would be pretty sweet.

warehouseguy
11-19-2006, 03:19 PM
two responses:

one, run while we can from what I understand is a rocking song based on the soundchecks that may have needed some work on the lyrics. So I included that on the list based on tempo, etc.

two, sister full band ala laid-back and quiet like digging a ditch makes a good track 9 placement just before you make a statement with the closing of the album.

ethaxton
11-19-2006, 03:43 PM
two responses:

one, run while we can from what I understand is a rocking song based on the soundchecks that may have needed some work on the lyrics. So I included that on the list based on tempo, etc.

two, sister full band ala laid-back and quiet like digging a ditch makes a good track 9 placement just before you make a statement with the closing of the album.

The whole draw of the sister song is the emotion dave puts into it. Just dave out there pretty much pouring his heart out. It should stay the way it is IMO.

fxblitz
11-19-2006, 03:48 PM
have you heard this song? or are you just saying it because you've seen the name around and the fact that it never made it out of soundcheck makes it desirable to you based solely on it's rare status?

because as one who has heard it, it wasnt very good... pretty poor lyrics and uninteresting music, and if they dont pursue this in the studio it is more than ok with me.

From what I remember, this song was less than acceptable.

Tambourine Man
11-19-2006, 03:49 PM
two responses:

uh, no?

fxblitz
11-19-2006, 03:51 PM
The whole draw of the sister song is the emotion dave puts into it. Just dave out there pretty much pouring his heart out. It should stay the way it is IMO.

That, and I think I would rather see 40 on an album first.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:03 PM

Yea. The song is most fit for Dave's solo aspirations. That said, it would be fucking great if Roi lended a hand for the album. Just the two of them.

nogerorob
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Do we have a solid clip of Run While You Can? All I've heard is a bad cell phone one where you can barely make out anything.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
From what I remember, this song was less than acceptable.

I heard a long version of it at the Toronto soundcheck, and it sucked. And as you can tell from my Folsom appreciation thread, I am not one to be hard on DMB, I usually see the silver lining in everything they do.

5000th post!!! YAY

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 05:08 PM
sister is never going to be on a dmb album.. it is a dave solo song. you should have learned from gravedigger that if dave plays a song almost every night, solo, and the band at no point tries to join in, there is a reason for that.

captainbluntmofo
11-19-2006, 05:11 PM
I wish SoL was a DMB song.

If Sugar Will or even Loving Wings shows up I will gain a lot of repsect for the band on principle alone.

I can't wait to hear Break Free and IOY as studio tracks.

Kill the King, Shotgun, and GGT need to be on the album also.

thestand
11-19-2006, 05:14 PM
I wish SoL was a DMB song.

If Sugar Will or even Loving Wings shows up I will gain a lot of repsect for the band on principle alone.

I can't wait to hear Break Free and IOY as studio tracks.

Kill the King, Shotgun, and GGT need to be on the album also.I just have a feeling that Loving Wings will be on the album. They dropped WAYG from the combo so that can only be good, and since it seems Rashawn will be in studio/on the road again, him being really comfortable on the song can also only be good.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I just have a feeling that Loving Wings will be on the album. They dropped WAYG from the combo so that can only be good, and since it seems Rashawn will be in studio/on the road again, him being really comfortable on the song can also only be good.

I don't think it'll hit the album, just because the main direction they took it in was a build-off jam of the I Dream of Jeanie theme, which would never make the album.

timh.
11-19-2006, 05:55 PM
two responses:

well, as you can see from the posts of others who have heard the song, they all think it sucked too, so i dont know where you've heard that it was good, but it isnt.

as far as the "rocking"ness of the song goes:
the song is based around a boyd mandolin riff that is uninventive and very repetitive. the guitar part is one of the most uninvolved parts dave has come up with... from what i remember it consisted mainly of droning on a single root/octave chord during the chorus, and not much of anything else in the song. and carter's part sounded like a typical 'mark batson told me to play like this' part...
and the lyrics were pretty bad... like dreamgirl bad.

and while, yes it might have been nice to hear this actually played live so that one could construct a more coherent argument about the song, it wasnt, and i cant say that i'm sad at all that this song never made it past the few soundchecks that it got.
from what i remember, it was extremely developed and felt like it might be something that was written during the stand up sessions... however it could have just as easily been written in the pre tour mark batson warm up the band decided to partake in... which i can only assume produced the musical gem we've come to know as cant stop.

Huff
11-19-2006, 06:38 PM
sister is never going to be on a dmb album.. it is a dave solo song. you should have learned from gravedigger that if dave plays a song almost every night, solo, and the band at no point tries to join in, there is a reason for that.

Not that it makes any difference, but the band DID attempt to jump into Gravedigger early on.

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Not that it makes any difference, but the band DID attempt to jump into Gravedigger early on.

live, the only ever attempt by the band to play on gravedigger was the first ever performace in april 02. it was barely even a song at that point.

priceofacoke910
11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
well, as you can see from the posts of others who have heard the song, they all think it sucked too, so i dont know where you've heard that it was good, but it isnt.

as far as the "rocking"ness of the song goes:
the song is based around a boyd mandolin riff that is uninventive and very repetitive. the guitar part is one of the most uninvolved parts dave has come up with... from what i remember it consisted mainly of droning on a single root/octave chord during the chorus, and not much of anything else in the song. and carter's part sounded like a typical 'mark batson told me to play like this' part...
and the lyrics were pretty bad... like dreamgirl bad.

and while, yes it might have been nice to hear this actually played live so that one could construct a more coherent argument about the song, it wasnt, and i cant say that i'm sad at all that this song never made it past the few soundchecks that it got.
from what i remember, it was extremely developed and felt like it might be something that was written during the stand up sessions... however it could have just as easily been written in the pre tour mark batson warm up the band decided to partake in... which i can only assume produced the musical gem we've come to know as cant stop.

Can't Stop was written on the road in front of our eyes.

priceofacoke910
11-19-2006, 07:54 PM
live, the only ever attempt by the band to play on gravedigger was the first ever performace in april 02. it was barely even a song at that point.
They started it in the Busted Stuff sessions...that's where it came out of anyway.

Penguins66
11-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Define "written" :boohoo

timh.
11-19-2006, 10:23 PM

then why does mark batson have writing credit for it on fenway?

Marjorie
11-19-2006, 10:28 PM
then why does mark batson have writing credit for it on fenway?

that seems like the level of complexity I would expect from a dmb/baston collaboration :lol

maybe he came up with the bass line and then it was built by DMB off of that

timh.
11-19-2006, 10:30 PM
that seems like the level of complexity I would expect from a dmb/baston collaboration :lol

maybe he came up with the bass line and then it was built by DMB off of that

the bassline came from dave... it's what he played as the intro to save me at farmaid in '04... i think it was '04

Marjorie
11-19-2006, 10:33 PM
the bassline came from dave... it's what he played as the intro to save me at farmaid in '04... i think it was '04
really? thanks!

hmmm. my guess is wrong then.. not certain why they list both then on the credits

timh.
11-19-2006, 10:37 PM
really? thanks!

hmmm. my guess is wrong then.. not certain why they list both then on the credits
i assume that maybe dave was fiddling around with that riff one day during their sessions before the tour and mark batson decreed it a song like he did with boyd's part on american baby... i mean, remember from stefans blog how he was saying that batson was teaching dave that the first rule of songwriting is to write the hook and base everything around that? i'm guessing this is one of the things that came from that advice, there was a simple riff, and a simple idea for a hook "i cant stop"... batson takes credit and we have one of the shittiest songs ever written by dmb

scoot_14
11-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I like Can't Stop because it actually plays like an old DMB song...around a guitar type rift (bassline in this case). It's infectious.

Here's my opinion on why Shotgun, Breakfree, Kill the King, Sugar Will, and Crazy Easy should not make it onto an album...

I like all of these songs, they have this great musical jam quality to them that I love as a musician. As a songwriter though...they are aweful. If you look at most of the best songs that are written, in musical history or DMB history, you'll find that most of them reached a lyrical identity very quickly. Some of the best songs are written in 10 minutes by a focused singer songwriter.

You cannot take a good jam that has had loose lyrics thrown all over it and sit down over a glass of wine with pen and paper and fix it. See Grey St, Raven, Everyday, etc.

DMB proved to me this year that they still can write awesome songs musically. They need to, in my opinion, write new material with a purpose as a single focused song. The musical creativity is still there (see any of those jam songs above) and Dave can still write powerful lyrics (Sister is a great singer songwriter tune)...they just need to do the two things at once.

Smokey the Bear
11-20-2006, 12:30 AM
I like Can't Stop because it actually plays like an old DMB song...around a guitar type rift (bassline in this case). It's infectious.

Here's my opinion on why Shotgun, Breakfree, Kill the King, Sugar Will, and Crazy Easy should not make it onto an album...

I like all of these songs, they have this great musical jam quality to them that I love as a musician. As a songwriter though...they are aweful. If you look at most of the best songs that are written, in musical history or DMB history, you'll find that most of them reached a lyrical identity very quickly. Some of the best songs are written in 10 minutes by a focused singer songwriter.

How are those songs lacking "musical identity"? This post makes no sense to me

Demolition Man
11-20-2006, 03:41 AM
You cannot take a good jam that has had loose lyrics thrown all over it and sit down over a glass of wine with pen and paper and fix it. See Grey St, Raven, Everyday, etc.
Excuse me? You might want to consider what band you're listening to.

Most of the band's best songs were written this way: I can name Warehouse, Two Step, #41, Raven, and Grey Street right off the top of my head, and there are many others.

thestand
11-20-2006, 09:25 AM

They took the opportunity to do some experimenting with new tunes. Can't Stop and Shotgun are tunes they wrote over the spring, neither of which were actually on the set list tonight.

So at least some part of Can't Stop was written during the studio session.

Minarets
11-20-2006, 09:38 AM
i still wanna hear the song/jam that came out of the Stand Up sessions that ws on video 5 i beleive...maybe 4 from the album website.

it may have only been 10 secons, but it was a damn good 10 seconds.

warehouseguy
11-20-2006, 11:33 AM
I had mentioned that studio jam earlier. It is bad ass. Wish that had been developed into a released song. But who knows, maybe we'll see it soon.

Tomacco
11-20-2006, 01:02 PM
With Dave touring in February & March, it would seem the band is aiming to be finished with the studio album by the end of January. Seems like they've undergone the same process with this album as SU - with a pre-tour session in the spring, and then a post-tour session in the fall. Is that enough time?

bsan83
11-20-2006, 01:04 PM
With Dave touring in February & March, it would seem the band is aiming to be finished with the studio album by the end of January. Seems like they've undergone the same process with this album as SU - with a pre-tour session in the spring, and then a post-tour session in the fall. Is that enough time?

Not entirely the same, since they scrapped pretty much all of the pre-tour session stuff from Stand Up. Well... I guess it remains to be seen if it's the same or not.

nogerorob
11-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Not entirely the same, since they scrapped pretty much all of the pre-tour session stuff from Stand Up. Well... I guess it remains to be seen if it's the same or not.
Isn't the current premise that the 2006 tour songs originated from the pre-tour practice sessions that Batson attended?

Tomacco
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM
Isn't the current premise that the 2006 tour songs originated from the pre-tour practice sessions that Batson attended?

Yeah, but he just means we don't know if those songs will be scrapped or not yet. I would say it's likely at least one will be - likely Kill the King.

SweetDownAndUp
11-20-2006, 01:54 PM

They are also not having a winter tour. Plus, we don't even know when the album is going to be released.

Phan
11-20-2006, 01:56 PM
some of you are so absoloutly ridiculous you should stop posting so much about DMB and read a little bit to actually learn a thing or two

nogerorob
11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Please be respectful.

Yeah, but he just means we don't know if those songs will be scrapped or not yet. I would say it's likely at least one will be - likely Kill the King.

Right the difference would be then that these songs may have a better shot at making an album since Batson was involved in recording them.

ggies
11-20-2006, 03:42 PM
I thought I remember reading that Dave said he wanted to be able to make new music that people could connect to and listen for years to come, not just his old stuff.

If thats true, I hope he takes it to heart when they are in the studio this time.

raven
11-20-2006, 05:10 PM
Excuse me? You might want to consider what band you're listening to.

Most of the band's best songs were written this way: I can name Warehouse, Two Step, #41, Raven, and Grey Street right off the top of my head, and there are many others.Seek Up also

TrippinBill34
11-20-2006, 06:14 PM
:lol i feel the same way. the new songs better not go the way of the '04 material

Yes it should. Shotgun, Break Free, Kill the King, and Can't Stop all suck.

mrchattr
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM

By this odd comment, are you meaning that you can't write a song, then edit the lyrics later and make them good? 'Cause if that's what you're saying, it's probably the dumbest post I've ever read. I'm glad that you're a songwriter, but so am I (and a lot of us on here, I'm sure), and I can tell you both from reading what other songwriters have written about the craft, and also from my personal experience, that you can write GREAT stuff using music that you write, and lyrics that develop over time, or even are scrapped entirely and re-started a few times.

Phan
11-20-2006, 06:39 PM
seriously, this should just be locked, it's giving me a fucking headache to see how dumb and uneducated on this band some of you are

mrchattr
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
seriously, this should just be locked, it's giving me a fucking headache to see how dumb and uneducated on this band some of you are

Bitter much?

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:09 PM
Bitter much?

wha?

Mersh
11-20-2006, 07:12 PM

what is this based on?

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:13 PM
what is this based on?

He makes shit up, he's admitted to it in the past.

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM

then educate them Mike

share what you know

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:16 PM
then educate them Mike

share what you know

i'm dizzy from all this spinnin

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
i'm dizzy from all this spinnin

wonderful contribution :upyours

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:20 PM
wonderful contribution :upyours

I know right :lol

I finally have no work to do, well, pretty much, after wring like 60 pages the past two weeks, im squirlley right now

Tomacco
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
what is this based on?

Merely based on my belief that the album will probably be done before the next summer tour. With Dave in Europe Feb and March, and rumors of the band going to AUS after that, it seems like they'd be going into pre-summer practice once all that stuff's done instead of working on the album even more. Of course that, and most of the stuff in this thread, should be taken with a grain of salt since we don't know that much about the current session even. We're all just speculating on the band's next move, based on what we do know.

Marjorie
11-20-2006, 07:27 PM
some of you are so absoloutly ridiculous you should stop posting so much about DMB and read a little bit to actually learn a thing or two

could you please explain what you mean by this? What is being said that is way off track?

(not bashing- just curious :) )

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:31 PM
wow someone needs a nap

captainbluntmofo
11-20-2006, 07:34 PM
loving this forum.

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:35 PM
wow someone needs a nap

:lol :lol :lol

wildcats
11-20-2006, 07:37 PM
so are they in the studio or not? no way i'm reading this thread.

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM

99.9% of the people here don't know

wildcats
11-20-2006, 07:40 PM
figures

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:41 PM
:lol

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:42 PM

just me, and im about to take a nap and then call drew wiley and listen to tracks over the phone off the new CD

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:43 PM
just me

you wish you knew what you were talking about

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:44 PM
you wish you knew what you were talking about

where are drew going with this?

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Tomacco
11-20-2006, 07:44 PM

Well, according to Stefan, they've been doing studio work since the beginning of the month.

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Well, according to Stefan, they've been doing studio work since the beginning of the month.

when does the next season of the simpsons come out?

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
just me, and im about to take a nap and then call drew wiley and listen to tracks over the phone off the new CD
Hey no fair. You'll never make mod status if you keep us in the dark.

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey no fair. You'll never make mod status if you keep us in the dark.

lets be honest, i'd ban everyone and destroy the site :lol

all i could work for is a thesedayscontiune email address!

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:49 PM
lets be honest, i'd ban everyone and destroy the site :lol

all i could work for is a thesedayscontiune email address!
:lmao I'm sure you get giddy just imagining phan@thesedayscontinue.org

Crumbo
destroy the site

you've already done that

just 1 more step to go

Phan
phanquarters@thesedayscontinue.org!

i just looked, you need a jerkoff smiley

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:50 PM
you've already done that

just 1 more step to go

:lol I thought Mersh destroyed the DMB community

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:53 PM
phanquarters@thesedayscontinue.org!

i just looked, you need a jerkoff smiley

: phan

Phan
11-20-2006, 07:55 PM

:lol :lol :lol

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:55 PM
oh hell yes, coming up after I start dinner

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:56 PM

what are you making us?

Phan

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol christ

Phan
what are you making us?

a jerkoff smiley that reads :phan

dsera
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
what are you making us?boneless buffalo wings.. what else?

Crumbo
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
boneless buffalo wings.. what else?

excellent!

see you soon ;)

dsera
11-20-2006, 08:26 PM
there... all done :phan

bsan83
11-20-2006, 08:40 PM
there... all done :phan

Brilliant :lol

gemma
11-20-2006, 08:42 PM
:lmao

JorgeCavos
11-20-2006, 09:05 PM
So is there actually any news on anything studio-related?

gemma
11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
No.

The only official news (from stefan) is that they're working in there now. I don't think there's anything else. He posted yesterday or the day before though and definitely made it seem like they were still working so thats been a few weeks they've been there.

bsan83
11-20-2006, 09:26 PM
It was mentioned on ufck (by I want to say Teefs, though I could be mistaken) that they've been in there for about a month now. Just them and a minimal crew.