PDA

View Full Version : The full studio Hello Again is pretty freakin great.

bsan83
11-15-2006, 11:13 PM
There's so much going on in the background that just seems absent from the rest of Stand Up. It builds up nicely, the end is nailed, and I like 'Roi's little solo. Don't have a problem with them leaving the drum solo out because that's basically a live type thing anyway.

I don't see why this gets shit on so much.

soups
11-15-2006, 11:16 PM
I think the studio Help Myself is really good

bsan83
11-15-2006, 11:18 PM
I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I broke that out. I should do that, just for the hell of it.

alexbunke
11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I still think it doesn't capture the song at all, or at least the song we were led to believe it was in '04.

FightTheGoodFight
11-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I still think it doesn't capture the song at all, or at least the song we were led to believe it was in '04.

:upyours

bsan83
11-15-2006, 11:24 PM

How so? I think it captures it wonderfully.

alexbunke
11-15-2006, 11:27 PM
How so? I think it captures it wonderfully.In '04 it was a big, heavy locomotive of a tune. It was ponderous both in content and in musicality. They fluffed it out and put it in the sunshine and made a good romp out of it.

It needs the Dave intro ("She was my...") and it needs to be dark.

soups
11-15-2006, 11:30 PM
god, that song was so good in concert. It really was a joy to hear in 2005 when they played it at riverbend

bsan83
11-15-2006, 11:33 PM
In '04 it was a big, heavy locomotive of a tune. It was ponderous both in content and in musicality. They fluffed it out and put it in the sunshine and made a good romp out of it.

It needs the Dave intro ("She was my...") and it needs to be dark.

I still think it has those qualities in the studio, even if it does sound like a guy telling the story in a bar late one night. The story speaks for itself, IMO. The intro, unless a separate studio track, I always thought should be a live thing as well.

Why they don't play this song is another equally baffling question, because it's an absolute fucking monster.

FightTheGoodFight
11-15-2006, 11:37 PM
I still think it has those qualities in the studio, even if it does sound like a guy telling the story in a bar late one night. The story speaks for itself, IMO. The intro, unless a separate studio track, I always thought should be a live thing as well.

Why they don't play this song is another equally baffling question, because it's an absolute fucking monster.

A fucking monster of a song indeed. The studio cut is entirely too watered down. The power of the song is not captured AT ALL. Butch is way too high in the mix, and the guitar is entirely too low. "Hello Again" was one of the biggest letdowns about Stand Up.

bsan83
11-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Butch is awesome on the Hammond.

soups
11-15-2006, 11:41 PM
butch sounds good on songs

alexbunke
11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
butch sounds good on songsA true statement.

Crush87
11-16-2006, 12:41 AM
I think the studio Help Myself is really good

My favorite. Nailed.

gemma
11-16-2006, 06:33 AM
I hate the studio hello again and I generally skip it when it comes on. It's nowhere near as bad as the studio joy ride though. Although, I would probably have liked both of them if there hadn't been 50+ live versions out there already that I loved. :downyours

vandamit
11-16-2006, 01:16 PM
anyone got a YSI of

full Hello Again and Help Myself?

.wavs, or .shn's, or .flac would be good.

raven
11-16-2006, 04:52 PM
anyone got a YSI of

full Hello Again and Help Myself?

.wavs, or .shn's, or .flac would be good.
i have flacs of both.. are they allowed here? i just posted help myself at ufck

dmbowns
11-16-2006, 07:05 PM
it's all right.

i don't really care how it is though, i just fucking want them to play.

of course.

Hounds101
11-17-2006, 12:29 AM
I haven't listened to this in ages but I seem to remember the ending... the very ending seeming like they weren't together. I'll have to listen to it again though.

Tomacco
11-17-2006, 12:41 AM
Yep, great version

dmb0226
11-17-2006, 12:43 AM
i dont mind it

kern
11-17-2006, 12:47 AM
the only thing i dont like about is the distorion on dave's voice.

BeQuietAndDrive
11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
If Batson produces the new album like this, I'd be quite ecstatic.

mynameisdon
11-17-2006, 08:39 AM
the only thing i dont like about is the distorion on dave's voice.

and the fact that nearly all of his verses in the part "over and over" are hard to understand...Anyone ever lock in official lyrics to this? Good to be here btw...

NiCK Crush
05-24-2017, 05:17 PM
Did anyone ever come out and explain why the hell it was cut down so terribly on the US release?

Bluewater34
05-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Because they fucked up literally every single thing about that album, so they couldn't leave the only great song on it intact.

roshea999
05-24-2017, 07:06 PM
Because they fucked up literally every single thing about that album, so they couldn't leave the only great song on it intact.

yep

mjf
05-24-2017, 08:48 PM
Did anyone ever come out and explain why the hell it was cut down so terribly on the US release?

Pretty sure the "Australian" version or whatever was just a leak of an advance copy of the album, before it was officially done being mastered and the final tracklsit set. It's cut on the worldwide release, not just the US.

:lol this is sound logic

sean52692
05-24-2017, 09:16 PM
As the years go by Stand Up somehow becomes more puzzling

Steveo Style
05-24-2017, 09:47 PM
I can get thru Dreamgirl but not Old Dirt Hill. American Baby is fine. Almost everything else is a train wreck. Including Hello Again

greykitkat36
05-25-2017, 01:29 AM
can't quite figure out why it's not that good, but it's just not. Agreed that the energy and feel just wasn't captured. It's similar to how I feel about the studio Two Step..while a good track on the album, it just doesn't sound quite the same.

I might start up a poll for DMB's best studio track.. that one would be fun and interesting..to me, it's still WWYS. Perfect studio track, and one of the few studio songs that comes super close to capturing that live spirit of the band. Though you can't go wrong with almost any song off of BTCS, either.

NiCK Crush
05-25-2017, 02:33 AM
I love American Baby and Everybody Wake Up.

Jack
05-25-2017, 07:33 AM
As the years go by Stand Up somehow becomes more puzzling

Which is really the opposite of Everyday. Everyday existing, even if you disagree with it, makes sense. And, it has aged better than the initial outrage. Stand Up has zero redeeming qualities as a studio album.

Thor2531
05-25-2017, 08:14 AM
Stand Up is embarrassing as hell. I can not make it through more than a handful of songs in my car with the windows up. Nearly every note or every song is cringe-worthy. The process was obviously flawed. The bands was obviously in their worse spot of their careers and this was all taking place as the internet and marketing efforts were really ramping up. The website strung us along into the false sense of "they're back on track" and the result was completely the opposite. Batson was a horrible choice from the start and further handicapped an already retarded group of individuals.

When the quintessential DMB tell-all comes out this is the one period I want to read about more than any other. LWS/ED is pretty fleshed out at this point and we've come to terms with it. Stand Up is killing your dog with a butcher knife in front of your family, then showing up the next day with a new puppy expecting everything to be fine.

patsfan39
05-25-2017, 08:41 AM
I started reading this thread like it was bran new, until i saw Gemma posting. that was puzzling to me.

Stand Up seems like a band in turmoil and Dave listening to what he thought everyone wanted. Someone must have pushed the group in that direction (i.e. Batson) and everyone just kind of went along. the only person that seemed to voice their displeasure was Leroi (as usual).

They really are a dysfunctional group.

roshea999
05-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Which is ironic because I thought Roi was on fire during the 05 tour. He pretty much disappeared 06-07 and then came back big time early 08 before the accident.

Tomacco
05-25-2017, 10:01 AM
The SU period is really fascinating. I wish we knew more about where their heads were at there. It didn't seem like they were in a rough place between 2002-04, but maybe they were (Some Devil maybe being a sign of that). In that case, trying to get some "hip" producer to save them and take charge makes sense in a desperate way. The way Dave described those years in Road to Big Whiskey was basically that he wanted somebody else to take charge, which makes sense. Between 2001-2009, it really seemed like the boards talked about producers as much as the band themselves, and I guess this is why. DMB was putting their hopes in producers to save the day, as much as we were.

2009-2012 really seemed to put a stop to a lot of the producer talk, thankfully. BW proved they can make a quality album with a non-LW producer, and AFTW proved that a LW album isn't automatically brilliant. It's really up to the band to make a great album.

Dschakobi
05-25-2017, 11:56 AM
The SU period is really fascinating. I wish we knew more about where their heads were at there. It didn't seem like they were in a rough place between 2002-04, but maybe they were (Some Devil maybe being a sign of that). In that case, trying to get some "hip" producer to save them and take charge makes sense in a desperate way. The way Dave described those years in Road to Big Whiskey was basically that he wanted somebody else to take charge, which makes sense. Between 2001-2009, it really seemed like the boards talked about producers as much as the band themselves, and I guess this is why. DMB was putting their hopes in producers to save the day, as much as we were.

2009-2012 really seemed to put a stop to a lot of the producer talk, thankfully. BW proved they can make a quality album with a non-LW producer, and AFTW proved that a LW album isn't automatically brilliant. It's really up to the band to make a great album.

well said :upyours
I think this SU period and afterwards showed they were kinda "lost".
Also I think BTCS was the very last album where they really had something like a "theme".
Go in the studio... work hard ... make some really fantastic music... It was the perfect timing right after (more mainstream album) Crash.

Sometimes I think they should have taken a break right after Leroi's death. For 2-3 years.

Josh.0
05-25-2017, 01:36 PM
I used to love Bill's old school post titles that were a complete statement perfectly cemented with definitive punctuation. Dude set the table and then threw down in the thread. Respect.

SomeDevil17
05-25-2017, 01:43 PM
They had enough material to lay down an immediate follow up after stand up with all those 06/07 tunes and they laid an egg and didn't do anything with them.

Thor2531
05-25-2017, 02:38 PM
They had enough material to lay down an immediate follow up after stand up with all those 06/07 tunes and they laid an egg and didn't do anything with them.

Probably for the better and Batson was still at helm for awhile there. Dave even said in interviews that they would go back in the studio with him. They probably listened to these well-received summer songs after a few takes in the studio and knew it wasn't going to work.

Josh.0
05-25-2017, 02:46 PM
He recorded SW with Cavallo and not Batson, right? Can't remember which record's hype clip that was from.

Because the thought of Batson touching SW gives me the douchiest of all douche chills.

Tomacco
05-25-2017, 03:12 PM
He recorded it in May 2009 with Cavallo, per the Road to Big Whiskey footage.

NiCK Crush
05-25-2017, 03:14 PM
There isn't a song I want a studio version of more than Sugar Will.

Bluewater34
05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that they also did it during that second, aborted session with Batson?

Tomacco
05-25-2017, 03:27 PM

I think it's inevitable to fall short of expectations. At this point I think I'd rather hear studio versions of some of the quieter songs that are harder to appreciate live, like VITR or Blue Bird. Or songs that could use some polishing vocally like Samurai cop or Bob Law.

mjf
05-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Which is really the opposite of Everyday. Everyday existing, even if you disagree with it, makes sense. And, it has aged better than the initial outrage. Stand Up has zero redeeming qualities as a studio album.

I mean it's almost apples and oranges. While stylistically I may not like Everyday, atleast it's a finished thought (regardless of how fast it was written/done). The majority of Stand Up is like an unfinished demo of song sketches. Even alot of the takes they used are horrible, Dave's voice sounds like utter shit half the time

3-D
05-25-2017, 06:15 PM
It's too bad that they felt like they had to include Hello Again on Stand Up because, out of the 04 songs, it's probably the worst fit on the album.

That being said, I'm listening to it for the first time in years and yeah, Butch is a bit high in the mix but the production is pretty solid otherwise.

I think Cavallo would have done a killer job with it and it would have been perfect on Big Whiskey.

edit: The studio Cornbread came on after the full Hello Again and it made me think that Batson would have actually done a better job with that tune. Totally forgot there was even a studio Cornbread.

Tomacco
05-25-2017, 07:45 PM
It's too bad that they felt like they had to include Hello Again on Stand Up because, out of the 04 songs, it's probably the worst fit on the album.

That being said, I'm listening to it for the first time in years and yeah, Butch is a bit high in the mix but the production is pretty solid otherwise.

I think Cavallo would have done a killer job with it and it would have been perfect on Big Whiskey.

edit: The studio Cornbread came on after the full Hello Again and it made me think that Batson would have actually done a better job with that tune. Totally forgot there was even a studio Cornbread.

There is no song Batson can do a better job on.
Studio Cornbread actually fits really well right after Spaceman on Big Whiskey. Since they play those two live a lot together I wonder if they originally intended to put it there.

ThememanXX
05-25-2017, 07:55 PM

I still want a finished Shotgun.

Which is ironic because I thought Roi was on fire during the 05 tour. He pretty much disappeared 06-07 and then came back big time early 08 before the accident.

I disagree. Roi was pretty disengaged in '05 save for a flash of brilliance here or there.

I might start up a poll for DMB's best studio track.. that one would be fun and interesting..to me, it's still WWYS. Perfect studio track, and one of the few studio songs that comes super close to capturing that live spirit of the band. Though you can't go wrong with almost any song off of BTCS, either.

Proudest Monkey or Dreaming Tree

SomeDevil17
05-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Yea I'm still salty about shotgun as well.

Josh.0
05-26-2017, 11:42 AM
I still want a finished Shotgun.

I want both. Those are the only two that I'm really disappointed that they've never laid down in the studio.

sean52692
05-26-2017, 12:06 PM
Shotgun and Sugar Will are 1a and 1b for me.

roshea999
05-26-2017, 01:20 PM
This is the definitive Sugar Will for me. Sucks the beginning/end had to be cut for youtube, but it's the stand up bonus disc. I miss THIS band.

f14AVUz2hU4

Josh.0
05-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Shotgun and Sugar Will are 1a and 1b for me.

And happy birthday, broski. Don't think I didn't notice ;)

.Gary.
05-26-2017, 09:35 PM
This is the definitive Sugar Will for me. Sucks the beginning/end had to be cut for youtube, but it's the stand up bonus disc. I miss THIS band.

f14AVUz2hU4

Fuckin a.

sean52692
05-27-2017, 10:58 AM

And happy birthday, broski. Don't think I didn't notice ;)

Thanks man! :upyours

dmb1981
05-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Do you mean the new version where the lyrics are cheesy and the jam lost all it's soul?

My next DMB album contains Monkey Man ala LWS and an '04 Sugar Will.