PDA

View Full Version : Why?

ggies
11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Why did the band in '04 play those amazing songs to only be dropped? Don't tell me they got tired of them bullshit. If the band wanted to do their own thing(SU album) then why did they take a whole year of touring and play and give great performances with Dave's material when they were going to not use it in the studio.

I know its a topic already discussed, but damnit, I get so frustrated and mad when I think about what could have been and why they wasted a year of touring and an album.

Spawed by watching the 9.3.04 and seeing HA.

PNP
11-17-2006, 04:18 PM
I know its a topic already discussed, but damnit, I get some frustrated and mad when I think about what could have been and why they wasted a year of touring and an album.

I agree. I probably would still be going to shows had they not dropped them. All we can do is hope they rebound with this next effort.

Babbit
11-17-2006, 04:25 PM
The part that got me was how much they enjoyed playing them (except for maybe Crazy Easy)...it's just such a shame to see a song like Sugar Will grow only to be forgotten...

ggies
11-17-2006, 04:49 PM
The part that got me was how much they enjoyed playing them (except for maybe Crazy Easy)...it's just such a shame to see a song like Sugar Will grow only to be forgotten...

yeah, thats the other thing, they fooled us I guess.

Strugz10
11-17-2006, 04:52 PM
ISO: Bill

thestand
11-17-2006, 04:53 PM
OMG new album!

But seriously, I don't think they're dead. Joyride popping out of nowhere can only be a positive sign. Even if it's once a year, I'll take it.

BigEyedMullet
11-17-2006, 04:56 PM
We also don't know how it was determined what songs got cut from SU. Wasn't Dave supposedly upset that Sugar Will didn't make the album? I'm still hopeful these songs will return.

Brer Funk
11-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Just heinously awful... do you honestly think they think the Stand Up songs are better than those were, or just easier/more fun to play live?

thestand
11-17-2006, 05:00 PM
Just heinously awful... do you honestly think they think the Stand Up songs are better than those were, or just easier/more fun to play live?A combination of being more fun, and that they went in wanting to make a "fresh start". Now that Dave says he wants some of his old style in writing, there's a greater chance of these coming back, I think.

mrchattr
11-17-2006, 09:04 PM
We also don't know how it was determined what songs got cut from SU. Wasn't Dave supposedly upset that Sugar Will didn't make the album? I'm still hopeful these songs will return.

He never said what songs he was upset about getting cut. However, knowing that he makes setlists, if I had to guess, I'd say Joyride and GGT, since both of those have been played live since then. It's well documented that Dave writes the setlists as he sees fit, and the band plays them. So I think if he was really all that into SW, CE, etc, they would have been back this year. It's just a hypothesis, but it makes sense to me.

captainbluntmofo
11-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Koolaid

BigEyedMullet
11-18-2006, 01:36 AM
He never said what songs he was upset about getting cut. However, knowing that he makes setlists, if I had to guess, I'd say Joyride and GGT, since both of those have been played live since then. It's well documented that Dave writes the setlists as he sees fit, and the band plays them. So I think if he was really all that into SW, CE, etc, they would have been back this year. It's just a hypothesis, but it makes sense to me.

Yeah, that's a good point. If he were that upset about SW getting cut, you figure they would have played it during the tour.

captainbluntmofo
11-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Easily influenced.

christp
11-18-2006, 01:50 AM
them playing those songs every night pissed off so many people

Kit_Kat
11-18-2006, 01:57 AM
This is probably wrong but maybe they just wanted to save some great songs for when they had some other great songs. Would Sugar Will mixed in with american baby, stolen away, etc. really have made a good album?

NiCK Crush
09-05-2012, 11:32 PM
:lol

ggies hasn't changed

inmytree
09-05-2012, 11:35 PM
WHY?????????

FiddySpence
09-05-2012, 11:38 PM
:lol ggies

The Godfather
09-05-2012, 11:38 PM
Great thread.

ggies
09-06-2012, 07:50 AM

ggies hasn't changed

Why the hell did you bring this thread up again? :lol I had forgotten about it......

ThememanXX
09-06-2012, 07:52 AM
They just got tired of them.

sdaltons
09-06-2012, 07:53 AM
i'd like to think its a good thing they dropped them because now they can give the rest of those songs to lillywhite, who won't do to Sugar Will and Crazy-Easy what Batson did to Hello Again and Joyride.

mario
WHY?????????
http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://cdn.jockpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/nancy_kerrigan_clubbing-300x207.jpg&sa=X&ei=qZxIUILkM6jj0gGR74DQBg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGuq2V_L6opLsF-OZvEeM_Ipc14mQ

ggies
They just got tired of them.

This is an old thread my friend. I think we all know that by now.

batleon
09-06-2012, 08:00 AM
stfBPzmHm70

drummerkrf
10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
For ggies.... 8 years ago today

fDfkew4Bkvk

timh.
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM

fDfkew4Bkvk

dude looks young

holdyouclose
10-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Even Boyd looks into it....

morgadt
10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
because those songs are mediocre at best. god, these songs are not THAT good.

Mersh
10-01-2012, 07:18 PM

In all fairness, this thread is 6 years old and when you compare them with what followed in 05...yeah...

sean52692
10-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I think Crazy Easy and Sugar Will (at times) are THAT good. Hello Again and GGT are both solid. Joyride is ok.

Matteo44
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM

aside from joyride, they trump everything on big whiskey easily for me.

FiddySpence
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
oh good lets talk about how mediocre you think big whiskey is some more.

morgadt
10-01-2012, 10:32 PM
there's nothing interesting about joyride, it sounds like something we've already heard. crazy easy and good good time are decent. sugar will had potential. the best of all of them is hello again, and it's a shame that it didn't get the right treatment in the studio.

jsandr
10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Joyride was what an average DMB song should be like. Hook-laden, but very familiar. Nothing mindblowing, but solid with a nice structure.

Good Good Time really never did much for me. I think they could have worked on it, and added some different parts, but it's nothing I'm terribly attached to.

Hello Again, played live, is one of my top 5 favorite DMB songs. The studio treatment of it, regardless of the edit, was an abomination and total waste.

Sugar Will was at it's best in 2004. The later versions do little for me. I liked the slow build with Stefan's bass, and the Roi/Butch ending was crucial for me.

Crazy-Easy is a song that really could have fit well on AFTW. As they played it live, it wasn't my favorite thing ever, but in a finished form, it could be a really great tune.

The confusing thing to me is this band's sudden obsession with rejecting live songs that could be the cornerstones of an album in order to throw on the latest creations. In other words, why they would scrap all those songs in 2004 to create standup is strange. They could have built a solid, solid record out of those 5 jams from 2004, in conjunction with 5-7 new tracks.

.Gary.
10-01-2012, 11:43 PM
oh good lets talk about how mediocre you think big whiskey is some more.

Seven was a great movie.

ggies
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM

fDfkew4Bkvk

Thanks man. :upyours This song is like a long lost love to me.....

ggies
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Let's discuss this Joyride is average DMB and is crap topic. Look what they have done with their music the past two albums. They are on this "funk" kick, starting with SMLAM. In one of the recent vids, Ross said there wasn't enough funk on the new album, so they created BBN, another run of the mill "funk" song. So generic in it's forum that it sounds a lot like SMLAM.

So why people can't get past Joyride, I have no idea....:screwy

I would personally take Joyride over this "funk" phase, but that's because I like the more old school sound.

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 12:08 PM
they have one funk song on the new album. that's not a "funk rock kick"

ggies
10-02-2012, 12:18 PM
they have one funk song on the new album. that's not a "funk rock kick"

what the fuck did I say? Man, you like to just start shit. I said from the last two albums. Fucking read and take it in man. Then comment.

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 12:19 PM
i don't think you know what you said. re-read your post.

you say they are currently still on a "funk rock kick". there is one funk song on the entire album and the rest is mostly mellow introspective tunes. you're constantly full of bullshit and that's why i pick on you.

ggies
10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
i don't think you know what you said. re-read your post.

you say they are currently still on a "funk rock kick". there is one funk song on the entire album and the rest is mostly mellow introspective tunes. you're constantly full of bullshit and that's why i pick on you.

Their overall music is not purely funk, but if they are not on a "funk kick", then why did Ross say they needed more funk? BBN was the last song to be completed.

I'm only comparing the fact that they need this blast in your face, funk songs on the albums now, first with BW and now AFTW to a cookie-cutter song like Joyride they made in '04. It's the same argument.

The funk song has become the cookie-cutter DMB song.

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Their overall music is not purely funk, but if they are not on a "funk kick", then why did Ross say they needed more funk? BBN was the last song to be completed.

I'm only comparing the fact that they need this blast in your face, funk songs on the albums now, first with BW and now AFTW to a cookie-cutter song like Joyride they made in '04. It's the same argument.

they needed something funky and upbeat because without the song the album is too mellow. he's right.

if anything, the album could use even more punchy tunes. and they've always had "blast in your face" songs on the albums. so get off it.

imagine29028
10-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Didn't Idea of You come out around that time too?

ggies
10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
they needed something funky and upbeat because without the song the album is too mellow. he's right.

if anything, the album could use even more punchy tunes. and they've always had "blast in your face" songs on the albums. so get off it.

Right, so everybody should get off of Joyride. It's a fun, upbeat tune.

ggies
10-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Didn't Idea of You come out around that time too?

12,000 posts on here and you don't know it came around in 2006 and not 2004? :wtf

Mitch
10-02-2012, 12:30 PM
I think BBN has a vintage DMB sound to it, so I don't think it's part of any new approach. WWYS is pretty fucking funky.

As far as my opinion of them, I'd rank Joyride 2nd between BBN and SMLAM, so it's not a preference of one style over the other for me.

imagine29028
10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
12,000 posts on here and you don't know it came around in 2006 and not 2004? :wtf

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I am hardly the DMB fanatic that I was years ago...and from 03-08 were kind of a 5 year stretch I'd like to forget...the music created just wasn't that good.

inmytree
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Let's discuss this Joyride is average DMB and is crap topic. Look what they have done with their music the past two albums. They are on this "funk" kick, starting with SMLAM. In one of the recent vids, Ross said there wasn't enough funk on the new album, so they created BBN, another run of the mill "funk" song. So generic in it's forum that it sounds a lot like SMLAM.

So why people can't get past Joyride, I have no idea....:screwy

I would personally take Joyride over this "funk" phase, but that's because I like the more old school sound.

Because it sounds tired and boring. Who would want songs of lesser quality just because they sound like 'the old school sound?'

ggies
10-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Because it sounds tired and boring. Who would want songs of lesser quality just because they sound like 'the old school sound?'

Well BBN sounds like SMLAM. That's tiring and boring, but they still put one of those songs on the new album.

All I'm saying is that people should not disregard Joyride because it sounds like repeat stuff, when in fact, BBN sounds like SMLAM. That same funk blast of energy.

gweeps
10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes, The Idea of You, along with Shotgun, Can't Stop, Kill the King, Break Free, Break for It & Blackjack all came from the 2006 aborted Batson sessions. I think Sister as well.

drummerkrf
10-02-2012, 01:01 PM
So.... perhaps I should've posted that Sugar Will video in the Stuff That Doesn't Need Its Own Thread thread.... :runaway

This place is a launching pad...

inmytree
10-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Well BBN sounds like SMLAM. That's tiring and boring, but they still put one of those songs on the new album.

All I'm saying is that people should not disregard Joyride because it sounds like repeat stuff, when in fact, BBN sounds like SMLAM. That same funk blast of energy.

OK, you're picking two songs vs. a song like Joyride which sounds like a rehash of an entire typical style.

Besides, this seems besides the point. If people who dislike Joyride found it to be a better song, I'm sure the fact that it sounds like a rehash would be less of a problem.

ggies
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
OK, you're picking two songs vs. a song like Joyride which sounds like a rehash of an entire typical style.

Besides, this seems besides the point. If people who dislike Joyride found it to be a better song, I'm sure the fact that it sounds like a rehash would be less of a problem.

:lol You guys. Those two songs ARE a typical style.

My whole point is that you guys are contradicting yourselves when you say Joyride sucks because it's repeat stuff when another new funk song on the new album sounds like an old funk song.

They could have used all different kinds of upbeat, fast-paced songs in place of BBN, but they specially went for a funk type song.

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
and it's fucking awesome and joyride is not so shut the fuck up ggies, god dammit.

drummerkrf
10-02-2012, 01:12 PM
whats wrong with funk? Gotta re-invent the sound a little bit somewhere down the line...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CtshrT6Gv64/SWj29_C2KwI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Uobu8gm_KEU/s400/motif_i_funk_you.gif

ggies
10-02-2012, 01:28 PM
and it's fucking awesome and joyride is not so shut the fuck up ggies, god dammit.

whats wrong with funk? Gotta re-invent the sound a little bit somewhere down the line...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_CtshrT6Gv64/SWj29_C2KwI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Uobu8gm_KEU/s400/motif_i_funk_you.gif

Nothing's fucking wrong with it. I like BBN. Now if you don't like Joyride because of a different reason, that's one thing, but you guys don't make sense saying Joyride sucks when the band is doing the same thing of rehashing, just in this phase of their sound.

I'm calling some of you out and you don't like it. Shut the fuck up and deal with it. :)

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Nothing's fucking wrong with it. I like BBN. Now if you don't like Joyride because of a different reason, that's one thing, but you guys don't make sense saying Joyride sucks when the band is doing the same thing of rehashing, just in this phase of their sound.

I'm calling some of you out and you don't like it. Shut the fuck up and deal with it. :)

you are incapable of correctly calling anyone out.

morgadt
10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Well, I like the style of BBN and Shake Me Like A Monkey, and even though they have a similar style, there's still a freshness to BBN. I think they tried for the same style with Stand Up (the song), but they missed the mark.

Mersh
10-02-2012, 03:20 PM

I think there is a difference between BBN being similar to SMLAM and Joyride being tired. Pretty uneven comparison, no? Sometimes you are out there.

Mersh
10-02-2012, 03:21 PM

Yeah, but it is all they do now. They are so in everyone's face with the funk rock sound.

ggies
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I think there is a difference between BBN being similar to SMLAM and Joyride being tired. Pretty uneven comparison, no? Sometimes you are out there.

So the only variable that's stopping you guys from seeing my point is time? In 10 years you will be tired of these funk songs and call the new one a Joyride?

I don't understand how you guys can't see how in this DMB 3.0 phase that they made another Joyride, it's just got a funk vibe to it.

Mersh
10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Not time, more frequency or quantity. 2 tunes that sound similar isn't the same IMO. I think you are taking 2 tunes and making it seem like that is their whole new sound.

Mersh
10-02-2012, 03:37 PM
and really, all I am saying is that Joyride isn't a very good song.

ggies
10-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Not time, more frequency or quantity. 2 tunes that sound similar isn't the same IMO. I think you are taking 2 tunes and making it seem like that is their whole new sound.

Well, with time comes quantity. It's not that I'm thinking that's all this band is now, they have just focused on creating at least one song like that for two albums now. So to me, to have that thought process, it's the same as creating Joyride in 2004.

drummerkrf
10-02-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm sure Rashawn's being a "member" is highly influential in this.... just a new direction on things. Kind of like the silly "this-thing-is-a-heavy-rock-band" contingent because of Tim...

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

sometimes?

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 03:51 PM
ggies you're just trying to twist and spin things to support your bad argument.

bottom line is Joy Ride was seen as "DMB generic" and kind of stale by some because it was one of many tunes like it over 10+ years.

BBN and Shake Me are the only two songs they've written in that vein. it's not at all the same.

BigVodka
10-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Cornbread is the funkiest of all. I get down.

ggies
10-02-2012, 03:54 PM
ggies you're just trying to twist and spin things to support your bad argument.

bottom line is Joy Ride was seen as "DMB generic" and kind of stale by some because it was one of many tunes like it over 10+ years.

BBN and Shake Me are the only two songs they've written in that vein. it's not at all the same.

Only stale because of time. So I was right, it's time. 5 more years of BBN and Shake Me and you guys will finally catch up to my view.

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Only stale because of time. So I was right, it's time. 5 more years of BBN and Shake Me and you guys will finally catch up to my view.

no, not time. quantity. i guarantee by 2019 if the band even exists still there won't be as many Shake Me songs as there were Joy Ride-ish songs by 2004

drummerkrf
10-02-2012, 03:59 PM

http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/3/3c/DeLorean_Arrival.gif

bassplayer22
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Joyride was never stale. It was just bland. I didnt like it from day 1 so it has nothing to do with time.

It wasnt just a rehash of a particular style of music, it felt like a reshash of several songs that had already done been done much better.

I would argue that Shake Me was I Did It done better and BBN is Shake Me done better.

There is a difference.

ggies
10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
no, not time. quantity. i guarantee by 2019 if the band even exists still there won't be as many Shake Me songs as there were Joy Ride-ish songs by 2004

Just as long as there are many, it doesn't matter the number. I'm not comparing quantity, I'm comparing creative writing.

I'm not going to sit there and let you say Joyride sucks because it's old structure and then say, "But look at this awesome song, BBN, etc, etc,"

Yeah, look at it, it's already been done, on BW, I don't need another funk song like you don't need a Joyride. Get it?

ggies
10-02-2012, 04:02 PM
http://images.wikia.com/bttf/images/3/3c/DeLorean_Arrival.gif

:lol nice :upyours

FiddySpence
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Just as long as there are many, it doesn't matter the number. I'm not comparing quantity, I'm comparing creative writing.

I'm not going to sit there and let you say Joyride sucks because it's old structure and then say, "But look at this awesome song, BBN, etc, etc,"

Yeah, look at it, it's already been done, on BW, I don't need another funk song like you don't need a Joyride. Get it?

you are so fucking dense.

THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM. DOING A SIMILAR THING TWICE ISN'T STALE!

drummerkrf
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Perfect solution:

Joyride:segue
BBN

ggies
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM
you are so fucking dense.

THERE ARE ONLY TWO OF THEM. DOING A SIMILAR THING TWICE ISN'T STALE!

RIGHT! I'LL SEE YOU IN 5 YEARS. ;)

Mersh
10-02-2012, 04:04 PM

1 time or 100, it's the same thing...ok.

ggies
10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Welp, thanks for the nice chat today. :upyours Time to go home.

Mersh
10-02-2012, 04:12 PM

morgadt
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
If Joyride ever shows up in a setlist, it better be a cover. No seriously, I always thought the Killers song kind of fits their sound.