Week 3: Sun. Sep. 24 12:05 pm ET at Vikings 19-16 W

Week 4: Sun. Oct. 01 7:21 pm ET Seahawks 37-6 W

Week 5: Sun. Oct. 08 12:03 pm ET Bills 40-7 W

Week 6: Mon. Oct. 16 5:42 pm ET at Cardinals 24-23 W

Week 7: BYE WEEK

Week 8: Sun. Oct. 29 12:03 pm ET 49ers 41-10 W

Week 9: Sun. Nov. 05 12:02 pm ET Dolphins 13-31 L

Week 10: Sun. Nov. 12 8:21 pm ET at Giants 38-20 W

Week 11: Sun. Nov. 19 1:00 pm ET at Jets 10-0 W (we'll take it)

Week 12: Sun. Nov. 26 4:15 pm ET at Patriots 13-17 L (fucking Rex)

Week 13: Sun. Dec. 03 1:00 pm ET Vikings 23 - 13 W (clinch NFC North!)

Week 14: Mon. Dec. 11 8:30 pm ET at Rams 42- 27 W (Rex is back....we hope/Clinch first round bye)

Week 15: Sun. Dec. 17 1:00 pm ET Buccaneers 34-31 W (Home field bitches!)

Week 16: Sun. Dec. 24 1:00 pm ET at Lions 26-21 W

Week 17: Sun. Dec. 31 1:00 pm ET Packers 7-26 L

Divisional Game: Sun. Jan. 14 1:00 pm ET Seahawks 27-24 W

NFC Championship Game: Sun. Jan. 21 3:00 pm ET Saints 39-14 W (SUPER BEARS IN THE SUPER BOWL)

Strugz10
11-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Who are my fellow superfans?

Wescoast
11-17-2006, 05:44 PM
I'm with ya. Went to the Seahawks game on Sunday night back in early October. Been watching every game here all season. Here's superfan Mona:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g25/iuwescoast/mongers2.jpg

breuer33
11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
l. smith is quite the genious!

Koko the Monkey
11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
da bears 472, jets zip.
da bears defense is like a wall, no one's gettin through

Varsity
11-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Prepare to be Vilmaowned Sexy Rexy.

Strugz10
11-18-2006, 01:22 AM
Prepare to be Vilmaowned Sexy Rexy.

:rolleyes

Strugz10
11-18-2006, 02:07 PM
:bear damn doesn't work here:rant

Brandon's place sucks compared to yours :hi

bidroc
11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
:thumbsup

Strugz10
11-18-2006, 10:18 PM
:banana

Varsity
11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
:downyours

Strugz10
11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
:blah

spilatch
11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
the jets will dominate today.

Strugz10
11-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Ok, keep thinking that.

zhess88
11-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Chad Pennington = Career Day

book it.

Strugz10
11-19-2006, 01:22 PM
Boring start so far :\

spilatch
11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
well at least the jets defense dominated...

aero8279
11-19-2006, 07:15 PM
was at the game and it was pretty much a borefest but a win is a win. i'm very happy they won both games at giant stadium and glad i was at both.

if the offense plays like this again next week they are going to get killed.

Wescoast
11-20-2006, 12:26 AM
rex is starting to scare me a bit. every defense lately has him figured out and proving him a mediocre quarterback. the game was very boring, but you gotta take the win.

2/3, possibly 3/3 on the east coast trip is very awesome though. i was hoping theyd at least win one of the three... even with their great start to the season.

reds24
11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Chad Pennington = Career Day

book it.

career worst?

dsera
11-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Brandon's place sucks compared to yours :hi
http://www.seekup.org/smileys/uploaded/bitchslap.gif

Strugz10
11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
http://www.seekup.org/smileys/uploaded/bitchslap.gif

:banana

simbro
11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
rex is starting to scare me a bit. every defense lately has him figured out and proving him a mediocre quarterback. the game was very boring, but you gotta take the win.

2/3, possibly 3/3 on the east coast trip is very awesome though. i was hoping theyd at least win one of the three... even with their great start to the season.

i thought rex was fine yesterday. first half he looked a little off, but again there were some dropped balls that hurt him. second half he looked sharper and got the td.

yesterday they did what they said they would do every week and that was run. rex did what was asked of him yesterday and didnt turn the ball over. some games we will need him to try to get us down the field, but yesterday all we needed him to do was not commit any turnovers and hand the ball off and let the running game take over.

Wescoast
11-20-2006, 10:22 PM
ya, actually rex has been very solid in the second half of both the giants and jets games. its more how awful he looks in the first half. hes young and stuff, but man does he scare me sometimes. he couldnt run the offense at all, and a game like that in the playoffs will certainly lead to a loss.

Strugz10
11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
He needs to not panic so much in a blitz, and not force the ball. Just take the sack or throw it away if you can.

simbro
11-21-2006, 09:22 AM
i just noticed in my post that i have yesterday lined up perfectly to start 3 lines

Mitza24
11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
i just noticed in my post that i have yesterday lined up perfectly to start 3 lines

I can't believe you know how to type. You look so little.

Should be interesting to see what happens with the Bears Sunday. I think New England is going to run all over the Bears D.

PNP
11-22-2006, 05:21 PM

You have to remember that part of what you are seeing is the coaches basically forcing him to "manage" the offense like Orton did last year. They don't want him to make mistakes, just do enough to win games and then trust the defense. I am not saying I agree with the strategy, but it accounts at least for some of what we are seeing with Rex.

Buddy The Elf
11-22-2006, 05:22 PM
patriots

snidelywhiplash
11-23-2006, 08:08 AM
patriots

...rule. The Bears will not leave Gillette with a win - not a chance. The Pats (despite the poor game against the Jets) are doing what they do most years.....improve throughout the season, and overcome key injuries. Brady has had a couple sub-par games, but he picked apart the (pathetic) Packers D, and there is every reason to believe he will put the Bears back on their heels wondering what to do next....Maroney and Dillon will sure help in that regard. I am surprised the Pats are 3 point faves, especially with the home record so far....but it should be a great game. Still wondering why NBC didn't pull this into their night game slot...?????

Scott

wildcats
11-25-2006, 01:57 PM
i've missed your shitty posts.

no, you really haven't.

can we ban hess from the discussion of such a great team?

Strugz10
11-25-2006, 03:36 PM
can we ban hess from the discussion of such a great team?
:upyours :upyours :upyours

Buddy The Elf
11-26-2006, 07:26 PM
PATRIOTS

EClayton08
11-26-2006, 07:55 PM
:lol Grossman is an embarassment :lol

pgr17
11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
PATRIOTS

:beer

SuffolkDMB54
11-26-2006, 09:50 PM
PATRIOTS

:rawk

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 08:23 AM
Bears fans are very quiet

EClayton08
11-27-2006, 10:38 AM

cause they can't take losing, sad really since thats all they did in the 90s

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 01:08 PM

We should both be quiet for the awful game yesterday. No-one deserved to win.

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 01:12 PM
We should both be quiet for the awful game yesterday. No-one deserved to win.

IF the refs had it there way, the Bears would have won the game.....

GUESS NOT

PATRIOTS WIN

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 01:13 PM

GUESS NOT

PATRIOTS WIN

Correction, Samuel won the game.

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Correction, Samuel won the game.

I do not remember seeing the Pats score a TD while on D.
He was a big part of the win but the Pats sure showed all the holes in the Bears D.

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 02:09 PM
yes, new england really carved them up. what a moronic statement. .
umm i don't think any other team has put up as many yards as the Pats did...

bears only give up 261 yards a game. Pats went for over 350 total yards.......real moronic statement eh pal:lol

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 02:50 PM
I do not remember seeing the Pats score a TD while on D.
He was a big part of the win but the Pats sure showed all the holes in the Bears D.

The Bears D was definitely not what it has been, but you can't be perfect every single week. It also didn't help having Manning out which left Hillenmeyer with a tough job as the extra "db".

I was most frustrated with how many 3rd down conversions the Bears allowed.

Crumbo
11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
was this a regular season game or the super bowl?

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 02:58 PM

:lol

You would think it was the Super Bowl after the way some people react.

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 03:28 PM

:whatever

Wescoast
11-27-2006, 04:22 PM
the game was terribly ugly.

positives -
it was pretty even. the game last night proved the bears can hang with one of the elite teams. whether they can beat the elite teams is the question...
bernard is back! after his quiet week last week and the injury, i was a little concerned. its amazing how much he changes the offense.
bears d is crazy good.

negatives- as i said earlier in the thread... rex scares me. he singlehandedly lost the game for them. bummer. still young and has a ton to learn, i have faith he will pull through. lovie will stay with him though, and unless he really takes a pretty large turn for the better. i dont see the bears winning the nfc championship game. sad to say, but true. i do, however, see tons of upside for years to come. if he cant step it up just a little with 5 given turnovers AND make as pitifully stupid a pass as he did on the last drive when he had all the time in the world, its hard to think he has it in him yet. UGH! it pissed me off so much.

Bartender
11-27-2006, 04:36 PM
was this a regular season game or the super bowl?:lol :upyours
Yesterday's game proved we can play with anyone. With a great Pat's offense, we forced five turnovers. That's huge. Our D, while giving up 17 points proved we are the best in the game.

Our offense still has a lot of work to do. We are still sitting pretty in the NFC; it’s going to get exciting.

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 04:37 PM
I think Peter King summed up the Bears very nicely this week in MMQB:

I think this is what you need to know about the Chicago Bears: In their last six games, they've turned it over six times once and survived, incredibly, winning at Arizona 24-23; turned it over six times again and got whipped by Miami; and turned it over four times and lost at New England. This team will go as far as Rex "Riverboat Gambler'' Grossman will take them. And right now, that might well be a playoff loss to Dallas or Seattle.

Wescoast
11-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Our D, while giving up 17 points proved we are the best in the game

the bears d is fucking awesome. straight up badass, but there is one better d out there and they have a much improved offense as of late too.

Bartender
11-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I think Peter King summed up the Bears very nicely this week in MMQB:
I just don't see anyone in the NFC beating them. With the easy schedule remaining, we "should" have no problem wrapping up home field advantage. We will not lose at home.

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I just don't see anyone in the NFC beating them. With the easy schedule remaining, we "should" have no problem wrapping up home field advantage. We will not lose at home.
You watched the 49ers game this year, right? We're not invincible at home and we simply cannot turn the ball over as much as we do. ESPECIALLY to good teams in the playoffs or we're done in the first game.

Fuck, even Orton knew this last year and we almost beat Carolina. I honestly don't get why people have all of a sudden decided we're a passing team. The Bears always have been a running team. Grossman is doing a terrible job of managing the offense and if he continues to fuck up then I think it's time to go back to '05 offense style. Grossman just simply cannot be trusted right now. He's got a lot of growing up to do and if he doesn't do it in the next few weeks before the playoffs we'll be watching Dallas or Seattle playing in Miami instead of us.

celluloid hero
11-27-2006, 04:58 PM
This thread isn't complete without:

9WbQD8-Mn5s

Wescoast
11-27-2006, 05:04 PM
You watched the 49ers game this year, right? We're not invincible at home and we simply cannot turn the ball over as much as we do. ESPECIALLY to good teams in the playoffs or we're done in the first game.

Fuck, even Orton knew this last year and we almost beat Carolina. I honestly don't get why people have all of a sudden decided we're a passing team. The Bears always have been a running team. Grossman is doing a terrible job of managing the offense and if he continues to fuck up then I think it's time to go back to '05 offense style. Grossman just simply cannot be trusted right now. He's got a lot of growing up to do and if he doesn't do it in the next few weeks before the playoffs we'll be watching Dallas or Seattle playing in Miami instead of us.
indeed. i was willing to give rex the benefit for the last few weeks. but this game was all him. he had it in his hands and could have destroyed the patriots. but he blew it, bad... really bad. it wont fly in the playoffs, and if somehow it did, no chance against any of the afc teams in the playoff picture now.

Bartender
11-27-2006, 05:07 PM

I completely agree, we are not a passing team. The average fan gave Orton so much shit for what he lacked but he "managed" the offense well. I think we would be successful with an 05 offensive style. Although, I have to admit that it is nice to have a decent QB for third and longs but I'm with you, run the ball. I hoping for a change in the play-calling.

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Well what I think happened is that he (Grossman) turned the ball over a lot against the Giants so they pulled the reins back on him against the Jets ('05 offense). We won against the Jets with zero turn overs so they decided to open it back up a little bit for him against the Pats only to have it come flying back in our faces.

Lovie Smith is too smart a coach to not realize this. He's not going to pull the plug on Grossman, but he and Ron Turner need to get on the same page....and fast.

Wescoast
11-27-2006, 05:35 PM
15 turnovers in 6 games is nothing short of pathetic.

Strugz10
11-27-2006, 06:59 PM
15 turnovers in 6 games is nothing short of pathetic.

:boohoo

Buddy The Elf
11-27-2006, 10:22 PM
because yards equal points. pal.

:lol but the pats found the weakness in the Bears D...simple as that....

PATRIOTS WIN

EClayton08
11-27-2006, 10:25 PM

PATRIOTS WIN

:upyours

DMBZeppelin
11-28-2006, 12:54 AM

GUESS NOT

PATRIOTS WIN
LOL! SO MANY NON-CALLS WENT IN FAVOR OF THE PATS! The one PI call was a bad call. On other occassions though like in the end zone when Berrian got tripped up... well the Bears should of had the ball at the one yard line. There was another occassion where Berrian didn't get an obvious call. Did anyone see some of the Patriots trying to knudge the ball with their foot? Then we have the great fox analyst say "If the refs see that it's a 15 yard penalty, but that's what the Patriots want smart players." I saw a crap load of other shit. So I'm glad you think the refs tried to take the game away from the Pats.

DMBZeppelin
11-28-2006, 01:09 AM
Well what I think happened is that he (Grossman) turned the ball over a lot against the Giants so they pulled the reins back on him against the Jets ('05 offense). We won against the Jets with zero turn overs so they decided to open it back up a little bit for him against the Pats only to have it come flying back in our faces.

Lovie Smith is too smart a coach to not realize this. He's not going to pull the plug on Grossman, but he and Ron Turner need to get on the same page....and fast.
The Jets are not a great team. Doing the Brian Greise/Kyle Orton approach is not the answer. So scoring 10 points on them (would have been a 3-0 victory if not for Bradley) is not the answer. We need a good offense. Problem is the O-line sucks. Kreutz is great even though he said "Rex will try to take the blame but I just didn't get the ball up.", but everyone else is not that good. Did you see how many times Brady was hurried? They said 3 times. I forget how many times Grossman was sacked, but I think they said he was hurried 15+ times. You pressure any QB and they'll make mistakes. I watched Brady go through 4-5 reads and was going nuts. The only reason the defense looked good at all is because the secondary was outstanding. I mean if Vick Jr. (Brady) doesn't out juke Urlacher the Pats don't score that touchdown.

Also Greise is not the answer. I'd go to Orton before I'd go to Greise. His career numbers in the 4th quarter are HORRIBLE! More INTs then TDs by a lot. Also Greise had a great running game in Denver and one of the top O-lines in the NFL. Plus he had the always reliable and under rated Rod Smith. Oh and a little someone named Shannon Sharpe. He had more talent in a better system in Denver. Yet this guy sucked in the 4th quarter and never won a playoff game. So how a QB who's never won a playoff game or any big game for that matter the Bears Super Bowl solution? Score 10 points a game and hope the defense gets a TD? We did that last year and that plan sucks. So unless we draft a QB or Orton is the real deal I don't get why everyone pin points Rex. Ron Turner and the O-line deserve a lot of blame. Hell even the recievers some times run the wrong routes. Rex has to throw to a spot before a reciever is even out of a break sometimes. If the reciever doesn't do that it's a pick.

Strugz10
11-28-2006, 08:56 AM

PATRIOTS WIN

Yeah but if you play like that in the AFC playoffs you aren't going to do shit. At least the Bears have a chance of beating most of the crappy NFC teams :lol :lol

Strugz10
11-28-2006, 10:50 AM
The Jets are not a great team. Doing the Brian Greise/Kyle Orton approach is not the answer. So scoring 10 points on them (would have been a 3-0 victory if not for Bradley) is not the answer. We need a good offense. Problem is the O-line sucks. Kreutz is great even though he said "Rex will try to take the blame but I just didn't get the ball up.", but everyone else is not that good. Did you see how many times Brady was hurried? They said 3 times. I forget how many times Grossman was sacked, but I think they said he was hurried 15+ times. You pressure any QB and they'll make mistakes. I watched Brady go through 4-5 reads and was going nuts. The only reason the defense looked good at all is because the secondary was outstanding. I mean if Vick Jr. (Brady) doesn't out juke Urlacher the Pats don't score that touchdown.

Also Greise is not the answer. I'd go to Orton before I'd go to Greise. His career numbers in the 4th quarter are HORRIBLE! More INTs then TDs by a lot. Also Greise had a great running game in Denver and one of the top O-lines in the NFL. Plus he had the always reliable and under rated Rod Smith. Oh and a little someone named Shannon Sharpe. He had more talent in a better system in Denver. Yet this guy sucked in the 4th quarter and never won a playoff game. So how a QB who's never won a playoff game or any big game for that matter the Bears Super Bowl solution? Score 10 points a game and hope the defense gets a TD? We did that last year and that plan sucks. So unless we draft a QB or Orton is the real deal I don't get why everyone pin points Rex. Ron Turner and the O-line deserve a lot of blame. Hell even the recievers some times run the wrong routes. Rex has to throw to a spot before a reciever is even out of a break sometimes. If the reciever doesn't do that it's a pick.
Great post man. I completely agree with you about the O-line not doing their job protecting Rex. Look what happened to Big Ben this weekend in Baltimore :boohoo

I'm not singlehandedly blaming Rex for all the offensive woes we're going through. It's a fault on the coaching, O-Line, and Grossman...aka not a good situation. If Grossman has protection he's been great...as he should be. My problem with him is that he tries to do way too much in the face of pressure. Either take the sack or throw it away if you can. Don't try and force the ball because you can only make one read on the defense!!!!!

My other gripe about Grossman is that he simply cannot play from behind (Giants game being the exception). Look at all the games we've gotten ahead early and cruised to a win (Sexy Rexy). Now look at the games where we've been behind or it's been close (turnover city). He just looks rattled in the pocket when we're playing from behind. He doesn't step into his throws and sails the passes. He forces the ball when he should just throw it away or dump it off to Jones or Benson.

I also think he's still learning how to read defenses. He should be able to pick up on blitzes before the snap and adjust at the line. This will hopefully come with time, but that time needs to come soon if the Bears want to go all the way this year.

There isn't a ton we can do about our O-line protecting Rex better, but we can improve our play calling and adjust to give Grossman more time or more protection.

DMBZeppelin
11-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Either take the sack or throw it away if you can. Don't try and force the ball because you can only make one read on the defense!!!!!

My other gripe about Grossman is that he simply cannot play from behind (Giants game being the exception). Look at all the games we've gotten ahead early and cruised to a win (Sexy Rexy). Now look at the games where we've been behind or it's been close (turnover city). He just looks rattled in the pocket when we're playing from behind. He doesn't step into his throws and sails the passes.

There isn't a ton we can do about our O-line protecting Rex better, but we can improve our play calling and adjust to give Grossman more time or more protection.
Rex has been getting better about a lot of that stuff. Even in the Giants game he took some sacks where I thought "Crap he's going to try and throw it up" he did that as well in the Pats game where he looked like he was holding onto the ball for dear life. Usually Rex would have back pedaled and thrown it downfield. All his INTs this time seemed to be the right read. They weren't some of his bad "Where was our guy INT".

You forgot to mention the Vikings game as a come from behind win. I think he's shown flashes of being able to do it. Vikings game in 04' when he blew out his knee. They had a big lead and what would of been his best day as a passer was cut short. Then we entered Jonathan Quinn and all was lost.

The Bears beat the crap out of the Giants and the Seahawks. Those are some of the top seeds in the NFC. I fully expect the Bears to dominate anyone who comes to Soilder Field. Minus the Miami game Rex has been amazing at Soilder Field. Just looked on ESPN.com and Rex has thrown for 1165 yards, 59.6% completion, 12 TD and 3 INT, 100.5 QB Rating, and 5 sacks.

So I know it be great to win a Super Bowl. If we do face a team like the Colts or Chargers with a high powered offense. Do we need dink and dunk but thrower who's worse then Grossman in big games. In 1999 in 14 games Griese had 16 fumbles, and amazingly only 5 were lost. Only in 2000 (19 TD, 4 INT) 2001 (23 TD, 19 INT) and 2004 (20 TD, 12 INT) did he not throw as many INTs as TDs. All his other seasons that's been the case. So because of his conservative passing game this guy has a rep of not causing turn overs. Yet his career TD-INT is 103 TDs to 78 INTs.

So the best thing the Bears can do is finally develop a QB and if we do win a Super Bowl that's great. If we don't it's not going to be because we had Rex in there instead of Brian Griese.

Fink
12-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Rex has been getting better about a lot of that stuff. Even in the Giants game he took some sacks where I thought "Crap he's going to try and throw it up" he did that as well in the Pats game where he looked like he was holding onto the ball for dear life. Usually Rex would have back pedaled and thrown it downfield. All his INTs this time seemed to be the right read. They weren't some of his bad "Where was our guy INT".

You forgot to mention the Vikings game as a come from behind win. I think he's shown flashes of being able to do it. Vikings game in 04' when he blew out his knee. They had a big lead and what would of been his best day as a passer was cut short. Then we entered Jonathan Quinn and all was lost.

The Bears beat the crap out of the Giants and the Seahawks. Those are some of the top seeds in the NFC. I fully expect the Bears to dominate anyone who comes to Soilder Field. Minus the Miami game Rex has been amazing at Soilder Field. Just looked on ESPN.com and Rex has thrown for 1165 yards, 59.6% completion, 12 TD and 3 INT, 100.5 QB Rating, and 5 sacks.

So I know it be great to win a Super Bowl. If we do face a team like the Colts or Chargers with a high powered offense. Do we need dink and dunk but thrower who's worse then Grossman in big games. In 1999 in 14 games Griese had 16 fumbles, and amazingly only 5 were lost. Only in 2000 (19 TD, 4 INT) 2001 (23 TD, 19 INT) and 2004 (20 TD, 12 INT) did he not throw as many INTs as TDs. All his other seasons that's been the case. So because of his conservative passing game this guy has a rep of not causing turn overs. Yet his career TD-INT is 103 TDs to 78 INTs.

So the best thing the Bears can do is finally develop a QB and if we do win a Super Bowl that's great. If we don't it's not going to be because we had Rex in there instead of Brian Griese.

:upyours I couldn't agree more. Especially with the last segment.

Strugz10
12-03-2006, 10:46 PM
I'll take the win, but Grossman :\

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 01:32 AM

maybe not griese, but the bears will not make the super bowl because of rex.

Strugz10
12-04-2006, 11:02 AM
I just don't get him. What was so different in September/October that eluded him in November?

My friend thinks Grossman is too predictable and physically short. He has to drop 7-8 steps back every time and sucks under pressure :confused

Bartender
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
What was so different in September/October that eluded him in November?
It was 19 degrees. The ball is dead.

But, trust me, I'm just as confused. Our coaching staff is too smart to call these plays. I blame the play-calling. Why are we passing the ball when we are up two possessions with 10 min left? RUN THE BALL, RUN OUT THE CLOCK. I don't get it.

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 11:26 AM
i couldnt hear the game down here on the tv at the bar. but i assume the crowd was booing every time he stepped on and off the field yesterday. i know i woulda been, plus like you say... they pass on 3rd and 2 and run on 3rd and long. rex went from being a stable young player to a total trainwreck in a matter of like 3 weeks. he simply cant run the offense right now. every time he dropped back i held my breath.

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 11:28 AM
its to the point know where they should play for a special teams or defensive td (basically impossible, but the only hope), and just run, run, run on offense and play for field goals. rex shouldnt be throwing more than 10-15 times anymore until he can prove he wont be horrible.

Strugz10
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
I loved the commentator's comment that maybe punting on 1st down is a better viable option for the Bears :lol

Sad rea;;y :boohoo

DMBZeppelin
12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
I pray to God Ron Turner gets back to good play calling, and Rex goes back to his earlier form, and our recievers go back to making plays. I think a lot of it starts with the O-Line. They need to pass protect better. Earlier in the year they could pass protect well and couldn't run block. Rex was on fire and the running game sucked. Now the opposite has happened. On the radio today they pointed out that D-Clark's pass in the endzone. They said we're not calling it a good throw, but the top TE's in the NFL would have gone up and caught that ball.

Fink
12-05-2006, 01:35 AM
its to the point know where they should play for a special teams or defensive td (basically impossible, but the only hope), and just run, run, run on offense and play for field goals. rex shouldnt be throwing more than 10-15 times anymore until he can prove he wont be horrible.

Bingo:upyours

With the way Benson and Jones have been running, there's no reason to have grossman out there throwing 50 yard bombs every play. We definitely should't bench him, especially at this point in the season, but i think limiting our passing plays to less than 35% of our total offense is a great idea for the time being.. Let him throw 20 passes max for the next 3 games and get his reads back on track and get him used to the cold weather.. Green bay comes to town in week 17, let him unleash then and get his confidence back up.

His problems honestly are not that hard to fix. I will admit that my confidence in him right now is pretty fucked. I get nervous every time the ball leaves his hands and i don't ever expect it to be completed anymore. But on the other side of the fence, i honestly don't think it will be that hard to get Rex to return to the state that he was in during the first 5 weeks. If he gets out of this phase and protects the ball, we win. It's really a simple equation. If Rex has more td's than turnovers, we win. With our Defense and special teams, it shouldn't be that hard to win games. Rex and turner need to realize that we don't need 60 yard bombs every possesion in order to move the ball....

I could go on forever:blah ...We have a lot to fix, and with the next 4 games being pretty much meaningless (assuming we don't lose out and blow our HFA), there's no excuse for our coaching staff and/or Rex to not improve dramatically. The next four weeks should be building blocks for our playoff run. If we continue to struggle this badly on the offensive side of the ball, and lose in the playoffs because of it, i'm going to have some serious problems with our coaching staff. Moreso than Rex, even.

DMBZeppelin
12-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Well looks like Tommie Harris is probably headed to IR. So if we're lucky will make it out of the first game. Then will wind up facing probably the Cowboys (don't know if you've heard, but their offense is doing pretty well). Then it will probably be the Colts or Chargers. Well Griese who sucks in the playoffs won't do us any good. Bad Rex won't do us any good. We need to find a way to get Good Rex back. Imagine Rex from earlier in the season with this running game. We'd be unstoppable.

Strugz10
12-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I'm nervous about the playoffs this year.

Wescoast
12-08-2006, 02:05 AM
cant expect super bowl this year. at this point, with lovie being overly loyal... it just isnt gonna happen. im not gonna ball wash griese at all, but him being in there would not amount to what? 3.5 turnovers a game by the qb.

it isnt fair to rex and the bears to expect super bowl with him leading the team. in the next year or two... absolutely. this year it just aint gonna happen. put griese in, and have it be a ball control game with 125 yards and .5 tds a game from the qb, but also 1 int and yeah, they might have more of a shot.

DMBZeppelin
12-08-2006, 08:45 AM
cant expect super bowl this year. at this point, with lovie being overly loyal... it just isnt gonna happen. im not gonna ball wash griese at all, but him being in there would not amount to what? 3.5 turnovers a game by the qb.

it isnt fair to rex and the bears to expect super bowl with him leading the team. in the next year or two... absolutely. this year it just aint gonna happen. put griese in, and have it be a ball control game with 125 yards and .5 tds a game from the qb, but also 1 int and yeah, they might have more of a shot.
You REALLY think will win 3 straight games... one likely to be a scoring power house in Indy or San Diego... and win with 125 yards passing and .5 tds????? Because it's NOT going to happen. Grossman is the best shot because when all is well with him he's a scoring machine. We need to score 18+ a game in the playoffs and I don't think Griese can do it.

Strugz10
12-08-2006, 10:16 AM
Good article on the Bears website today:

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Historians won’t rank it with the great discoveries made by Christopher Columbus and Jonas Salk, but don’t try to convince Bears fans that it isn’t nearly as significant.

After spending three straight days studying tape of his early-season success and recent struggles, quarterback Rex Grossman thinks that he may have found the key to breaking out of his slump.

Rex Grossman makes his 13th straight start Monday night when the Bears face the St. Louis Rams.
The fourth-year pro believes that the solution is to simply relax, have fun and just play football. Don’t over-think or make things too complicated. Just read and react.

“He’s overanalyzing things,” said offensive coordinator Ron Turner. “It’s one thing to watch film and be prepared, but on game day you have to react. That’s what he was doing early in the year. I went back and watched some early tapes and he was reacting. He was very, very decisive and trusting what he saw. Somehow he got away from that and he’s got to get back to it.”

Grossman was named NFC Offensive Player of the Month for September and later was being touted as an NFL MVP candidate after throwing 10 TD passes and three interceptions in the first five games of the season.

The 2003 first-round draft pick has fallen on hard times since his impressive start, throwing 14 interceptions and losing four fumbles in the last seven games.

With the Bears not practicing Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Grossman put himself under a microscope, watching tape of wins over Green Bay, Detroit, Minnesota, Seattle, Buffalo and San Francisco.

“There’s a lot of good to take out of those games,” he said. “I was making quick decisions, getting the ball out of my hands, being real decisive and seeing the field well. Everything was just real quick and decisive—make a decision, get the ball into (receivers’) hands, get completions and get things moving—and that’s what I want to get back to.”

Grossman’s anemic 1.3 passer rating in last Sunday’s 23-13 division-clinching victory over the Minnesota Vikings was the lowest by a winning quarterback in the NFL in 35 years.

“It was pretty bad,” Grossman said. “There were a lot of plays to be made. The Vikings played well, but there were plays to be made that weren’t made, and it was mostly bad reads and a couple of poor throws. It’s not like there aren’t plays to be made and I’m coming to the sideline frustrated like, ‘What am I supposed to do?’

"I know what I’m supposed to do. It’s just a matter of going out and doing it. It seems easy, but the approach I’m going to take now is to just go out and have fun and just read and react.”

Grossman did the exact opposite against the Vikings when he failed to see a wide open Muhsin Muhammad in the left corner of the end zone after the receiver had beaten his man with a double move. Seemingly convinced that the play would not be there, Grossman instead threw over the middle to a well-covered Desmond Clark and the pass was knocked away.

“He was taking the preparation and seeing something and so on game day he was saying, ‘They did this, so I’ve got to go here,’ instead of just reading it,” Turner said. “Every play’s going to be different. We may see something on film or we’re prepared and say, ‘In this formation or this coverage, the linebacker has a tendency to drop here,’ but that doesn’t mean he’s going to do it. When the ball’s snapped, you’ve still got to read it. I think he got away from trusting everything that he was seeing. He’s just got to get back to doing that, which I think he will.”

Grossman insists that he doesn’t feel any more pressure than he did early in the season when he was attempting to rebound from a less than spectacular preseason.

“It’s pretty similar to what happened in the preseason,” he said. “It’s been up and down to say the least this year from the beginning and I’ve felt this pressure before. And I put a lot of pressure on myself to play the way I’m capable of because I have a lot of pride.”

To Grossman’s credit, the only fingers he has pointed this season have been at himself.

“I’m never going to throw anyone under the bus or do anything like that because throughout the course of a game, everyone’s going to make mistakes,” he said. “I’m going to make mistakes even in my best games and bad things are going to happen. That just happens throughout the course of the game, but to do it to the extent that I’ve done it hasn’t allowed anyone else to make plays, so there really isn’t anyone else to blame.”

When asked if he felt that Monday night could be his final opportunity to break out of his slump before the Bears demote him in favor of backup Brian Griese, Grossman said: “Definitely it’s getting to the point where it’s pretty critical that I start to play the way I’m capable of playing, no doubt."

While some media and fans have criticized the Bears for sticking with Grossman as long as they have, coaches insist that he still gives them the best chance to win. They’ve seen Grossman perform at an elite level this season and are confident that he will revert to form.

“We’re going to give him an opportunity to work his way out of it,” Turner said. “He’s done too many good things throughout the year. I think that’s what people are forgetting. He’s done some great things. He’s played some really good football this year. If he hadn’t done that, then you might really be concerned, but he has. There’s no doubt he’ll work himself through this thing and we’ve all got to help him.”

Wescoast
12-08-2006, 11:22 AM
You REALLY think will win 3 straight games... one likely to be a scoring power house in Indy or San Diego... and win with 125 yards passing and .5 tds????? Because it's NOT going to happen. Grossman is the best shot because when all is well with him he's a scoring machine. We need to score 18+ a game in the playoffs and I don't think Griese can do it.

no i dont think either will win the bears the super bowl. grossman is proving hes not a good professional quarterback, at least not yet. i do honestly think a qb that can get the bears a td and in line for a few field goals a game gives them a much better shot than rex right now though.

Strugz10
12-08-2006, 12:06 PM
If we stop turning the ball over we can win the Super Bowl (even with Grossman). Our defense is too good, our special teams are fantastic, and our running game has seriously picked up for Rex's shortcomings.

All the pieces are in place, now we just need to execute.

Fink
12-09-2006, 03:47 AM
Any new word on T. Harris? He got evaluated by a hamstring specialist in Dallas today, but i haven't heard anything yet.

Fuck, i hope he's back for the playoffs :(

Strugz10
12-09-2006, 11:01 AM
I haven't heard anything new :\

Strugz10
12-11-2006, 10:43 AM
So what do you all think is going to happen tonight?

Bartender
12-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I think their offense will come alive. I can see Benson having a huge game on the turf. I don't expect too much from Rex. I think he will be very conservative. But, it's a big game for the Bears. Because Seahawks/Cowboys lost yesterday, a win tonight will clinch home field throughout the playoffs.

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 11:40 AM

I have absolutely no clue. I'll be happy if Rex keeps it to 2 turnovers or less. I think that would be a major step that has to be made this time of year. The bears have 4 games to fix things...

Strugz10
12-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't think Rex will turn the ball over tonight :jawdrop

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 11:50 AM

:lol ... :lmao

Strugz10
12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
I know, but he's gotta realize he's playing for his job tonight so I hope he'll be a lot "smarter" out there.

Bartender
12-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I know, but he's gotta realize he's playing for his job tonight so I hope he'll be a lot "smarter" out there.
I agree, I think he will play more conservative. Just like he was for the Jets game. He will try to manage the offensive instead of putting up four TDs.

Strugz10
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I don't know if he'll just "manage" the offense since we will need some sort of passing game for the playoffs. I would guess that they'll want him to air it up a few times, but if he blows it then he'll get pulled at half-time.

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
i read that griese got a ton of snaps in practice this week. i respect lovies loyalty, but at some point you gotta realize you have a bum running your offense. i hope rex can turn it around, but if he sucks the first half tonight and they dont make a change i will be pretty upset.

Strugz10
12-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Yep, Griese was taking half the reps this week in practice, so I bet he'll make an appearance if Grossman is doing the same after half time. Who knows, maybe they're planning on putting Griese in anyway.

DMBZeppelin
12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Harris is offically out for the rest of the year. He's having surgery on his hammy. Go to ChicagoBears.com to learn more.

DMBZeppelin
12-12-2006, 04:53 AM
Things came together for Grossman during a tape session with Turner on Saturday. Turner dug up tape of Grossman's first five games when everyone wanted to anoint him MVP.

"Rex, look at that," Turner told Grossman. "You're back, you're decisive, you are making quick reads, you're setting your feet up in the pocket. You are doing all of that stuff you got away from. Let's get back to that and have fun."

Grossman sat in the room quietly. Then a little smile came across his face.

"I'm ready to go play," Grossman told Turner.

Strugz10
12-12-2006, 09:56 AM

:hi

Bartender
12-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Devin "the blur" Hestor

Bartender
12-12-2006, 10:00 AM
:hi
Great call

Strugz10
12-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Great call

I just knew he would respond to the pressure of losing his job and not make dumb decisions. I almost lost this bet, but luckily the one interception was called back....even though I think it was a fumble and we got lucky.

Wescoast
12-12-2006, 11:45 AM
last night was a big sigh of relief. now they got a few weak teams that they can beat up on these next few weeks. hopefully rex keeps it going, im not convinced yet, but last night was great to see. the running game looked strong. if they can put up 30+ points each game the rest of the season, you have to feel pretty confident heading into the playoffs.

Strugz10
12-12-2006, 01:45 PM
My theory for the season is holding strong:

If the Bears score at least 21 points in a game no-one is going to beat them. Our defense/special teams is just way too good.

DMBZeppelin
12-12-2006, 01:56 PM
I just knew he would respond to the pressure of losing his job and not make dumb decisions. I almost lost this bet, but luckily the one interception was called back....even though I think it was a fumble and we got lucky.
You can't intercept a fumble. What Rex did would be called an imcomplete pass 10 times out of 10. He went back to throw, and then got hit. His hand was on the ball and they both went forward. The only way it could have been called otherwise is if it was without a doubt visible, that he lost control of the ball in his hand before it went forward.

bsan83
12-12-2006, 01:57 PM

If the Bears score at least 21 points in a game no-one is going to beat them. Our defense/special teams is just way too good.

Relatively blah night for your defense last night though. The Rams seemed basically able to do what they wanted on offense.

Wescoast
12-12-2006, 02:12 PM

well the rams did score 4 tds on them last night.

Strugz10
12-12-2006, 03:15 PM
You can't intercept a fumble. What Rex did would be called an imcomplete pass 10 times out of 10. He went back to throw, and then got hit. His hand was on the ball and they both went forward. The only way it could have been called otherwise is if it was without a doubt visible, that he lost control of the ball in his hand before it went forward.

I agree, I just think the rule is wrong. IMO he wasn't throwing the ball forward, his arm was forced forward when he got hit that caused him to release the ball. We're just lucky the rule says nothing about the QB's arm being forced forward, just that if it's going forward it's not a fumble.

Strugz10
12-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Relatively blah night for your defense last night though. The Rams seemed basically able to do what they wanted on offense.

This is true, luckily our offense and special teams stepped it up tonight. As long as we have 2/3 (offense, defense, special teams) doing what they're supposed to then we should be able to win most games.

I'm not worried about the defense and honestly it's about time they got a break and didn't have to do everything for us to win games. It's been a long past few weeks for them and I'm sure they didn't mind not having to make up for the offense's shortcomings.

Bartender
12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
well the rams did score 4 tds on them last night.
yes, that 99 yard drive was awful. Our D looked bad on that drive.

Fink
12-12-2006, 09:46 PM
This is true, luckily our offense and special teams stepped it up tonight. As long as we have 2/3 (offense, defense, special teams) doing what they're supposed to then we should be able to win most games.

I'm not worried about the defense and honestly it's about time they got a break and didn't have to do everything for us to win games. It's been a long past few weeks for them and I'm sure they didn't mind not having to make up for the offense's shortcomings.

Yea, not to mention the fact that this was our first game without big Tommie. Vasher was out too, along with our 2nd sting CB Todd Johnson. When you have Devin Hester lining up man-to-man with Torry holt on his first day ever playing professional defense, you know it's not going to be a good day. Vash and Johnson should both be back next week and everything will return to normal.

Also, Tillman played like an absolute fucking jobber last night. A lot of things were just out of sync, but i'm not the least bit worried.

DMBZeppelin
12-13-2006, 12:41 AM
Keep in mind we held the rams to 13 points till the 4th quarter. They scored two points in garbage time when the game was out of hand. The secondary wasn't at full strength. A healthy Vasher and the continuing emergence of Tank and Anderson will go a long way to restoring this defense. We can't replace Harris. He makes the D-Line special. We still have a lot of talent on the D-Line and it was our deepest area. The drop off from Harris to Tank and Scott isn't as big from Urlacher and whoever his backup is.

DMBZeppelin
12-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Yea, not to mention the fact that this was our first game without big Tommie. Vasher was out too, along with our 2nd sting CB Todd Johnson.

Johnson isn't a second string CB. He was our backup safety. Him being out is the reason Chris Harris started. Who I do like, but Johnson is very good. You might think he's a CB because if everyone is healthy he's the emergency nickle back. Todd is better in pass coverage and a hard hitter. Harris is better against the run, and also an excellent hitter.

Also I believe Hester getting that TD in the 4th quarter killed the defense. They were so tired out and needed the Bears offense to eat up clock and give them some rest. They were all pumped for Hester, but that's a long time to be on the field.

Strugz10
12-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Johnson isn't a second string CB. He was our backup safety. Him being out is the reason Chris Harris started. Who I do like, but Johnson is very good. You might think he's a CB because if everyone is healthy he's the emergency nickle back. Todd is better in pass coverage and a hard hitter. Harris is better against the run, and also an excellent hitter.

Also I believe Hester getting that TD in the 4th quarter killed the defense. They were so tired out and needed the Bears offense to eat up clock and give them some rest. They were all pumped for Hester, but that's a long time to be on the field.

:upyours :upyours :upyours

Wescoast
12-13-2006, 11:06 AM
they definitely looked worn out. the defense doesnt concern me, regardless of their unspectacular effort on monday.

DMBZeppelin
12-14-2006, 01:38 AM
I hope Lovie doesn't over rest these guys. If I were him I'd let them play the whole game against the Bucs. Then 2 quarters against the Lions on Christmas Eve. Then play 3 quarters or maybe even into the 4th against the Packers. A lot would depend on the game. Like against the Rams the offense had huge breaks between posessions. I'd like them to play the whole game if that happened. The Bears have a BYE week. There's no reason for starters to take a whole game off at the end. If they don't play the last game then from Dec 24 till January 13th or 14th they don't see any live action. That just be horrible. We need to keep the team sharp.

Strugz10
12-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Sitting the starters would be the worst thing he could do. I think we should leave the offensive starters in for at least the first half and the defense in for the entire game. I would hate for us to do what Indy did last year (obviously some of that was out of their control, but still).

More importantly, we need to clinch home field advantage before we start sitting anyone.

Bartender
12-14-2006, 11:20 AM
ticketmaster sucks

Strugz10
12-14-2006, 11:48 AM
You honestly thought you had a chance? :lol

Bartender
12-14-2006, 12:30 PM
You honestly thought you had a chance? :lol
:lol no, it's worth a try though

Strugz10
12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Yeah my friends and I were trying to think of every possible way we could try to get tickets but of course none of them worked.

Bartender
12-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Yeah my friends and I were trying to think of every possible way we could try to get tickets but of course none of them worked.
$300/500 a piece on ebay/stubhub. Of course, shit seats.

Strugz10
12-14-2006, 01:29 PM
All I know is that I'll pay top dollar for Super Bowl tickets if we make it :rawk

DMBZeppelin
12-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Sitting the starters would be the worst thing he could do. I think we should leave the offensive starters in for at least the first half and the defense in for the entire game. I would hate for us to do what Indy did last year (obviously some of that was out of their control, but still).

More importantly, we need to clinch home field advantage before we start sitting anyone.
Ya but Lovie sat Rex the entire game against the Vikings last year. Others saw just minimal playing time. I just hope it doesn't happen again. Gotta keep Rex in a rhythm. Last time Rex had a BYE week he tore up San Fran. Lets hope he's that good in the 1st round if the defense doesn't show up again.

Strugz10
12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
I think we still have too many kinks to work out before the playoffs that he'll leave them in for at least a half. Unlike last year, we actually have a good shot at the Super Bowl if we can pull it together in these upcoming weeks.

PNP
12-14-2006, 05:59 PM
I would really like to see a Chargers-Bears matchup in Miami in February.

Wescoast
12-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I would really like to see a Chargers-Bears matchup in Miami in February.

tell me about it!

simbro
12-15-2006, 09:28 AM
so, what do they do with tank johnson now?

Wescoast
12-15-2006, 11:40 AM
hopefully any probation/jail time anything like that is after the season or next season. the defense is starting to fall apart

simbro
12-15-2006, 02:45 PM
hopefully any probation/jail time anything like that is after the season or next season. the defense is starting to fall apart

eh, i think it would hurt the team to loose him, but i think he also needs to be held responsible for his actions. if that was you or me, then we would be punished right away.

DMBZeppelin
12-15-2006, 09:51 PM
eh, i think it would hurt the team to loose him, but i think he also needs to be held responsible for his actions. if that was you or me, then we would be punished right away.
Pretty sure if it was you or me we wouldn't be punished till prosecuted. Just as the same thing will happen with Tank. So until he's proven guilty in a court of law Tank can bail himself out of jail and play. If there's a trial in the offseason he will be punished by the NFL (not the Bears).

mr.moon
12-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Will T. Jones start today? How much will he play? I need some NFC North advice. I'm in a predicament:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're in the second week of our FF playoffs. I have $200 waiting for me if I win this week, and possibly $500 with a win next week.

Here are my options. I need to pick two:

Cedric Benson RB - will T. Jones play this week? If so, how much?
Arlen Harris RB - K. Jones is out for the Lions. Arlen will start.
Braylon Edwards WR - at Baltimore. Has scored two consecutive weeks.
Mike Furrey WR - at Green Bay this week.

Any thoughts? Right now I have Benson and Edwards in the lineup.

DMBZeppelin
12-17-2006, 11:08 AM
I'd go Benson/Edwards, but that's just me.

Strugz10
12-17-2006, 07:23 PM
:rawk

aero8279
12-18-2006, 10:26 PM
i'd play the starters for the first 3 quarters on sunday then the first half the following week.

Strugz10
12-19-2006, 10:47 AM
The Chicago Bears are going to finish the regular season 14-2, have the home-field advantage during the postseason and then, if they're not very, very careful, get eliminated in the NFC Divisional playoffs.

Last season's playoffs didn't end well for Bears coach Lovie Smith and QB Rex Grossman.
Have you ever seen a more dysfunctional, less-impressive 12-win team than these guys? Have you ever seen a coach who plays the paranoia card as often as the spectacularly tone deaf Lovie Smith? Have you ever seen fewer players unwilling to at least acknowledge what everyone else with at least a beer cup's worth of objectivity sees: that the Bears are walking a line as thin as the laces on a football?

Sunday afternoon, as I was cleaning my cache of semi-automatic weapons and surface-to-air rocket launchers, I watched the Bears-Tampa Bay Buccaneers game with my kids and our 26 pit bulls. Oh, wait, that was defensive tackle Tank Johnson, who, incredibly enough, is still employed by the Bears.

Anyway, the more I watched, the more I realized how flawed and fragile this team is. They're not posers. Posers don't go 12-2. They're not frauds. Frauds don't clinch a first-round bye as early as Game 14. But they're also not the NFL's best team. Or second best. Or third. Or fourth. Or maybe fifth.

I know they have the league's best record. I know they're 4-0 in their division and 10-0 in their conference. But the other three NFC North teams are a combined 14-28 and in danger of being optioned to NFL Europe. And the rest of the NFC is so stressed out that it needs a spa day. It's the two-bagger conference, if you know what I mean.

In mid-October, the Bears needed the collapse of the decade to beat gawd-awful Arizona on the road. Two months later at home, they needed overtime to beat a Tampa Bay team that scores less often than guys in leisure suits. If you have to struggle to beat the Cardinals and the Bucs on opposite ends of your regular season, you've got a major problem.

The Cardinals' Dennis Green had it right when he went Danny DeVito after the Oct. 16 loss. "The Bears are who we thought they were," he raged. "If you want to crown them, crown their asses," said Green, YouTube's Sportsman of the Year. "They are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook."

The Bears deserve a fist bump, not a crown. Of their 12 wins, 10 have come against teams with records of .500 or worse. Next up: the Detroit Lions (Hello, No. 1 pick! Goodbye, Matt Millen!) and Green Bay Packers.

In a game of NFL word association, you'd say, "Bears," and I'd say, "Watching the Super Bowl on their home plasmas." You'd say, "Home-field advantage." I'd say, 2005 Divisional Playoff at Soldier Field: Carolina Panthers 29, Bears 21."

You'd say, "Kyle Orton." I'd say, "Rex Grossman and his 1.3 quarterback rating."

There are too many moving parts on this machine. The tailback tag team of Thomas Jones and Cedric Benson can barely tolerate each other. Grossman is like food on a cruise ship: You don't know if you're going to love it or ralph in your state room. And the defense suddenly needs mouth-to-mouth.

The Bucs, led by third-string quarterback Tim Rattay, outscored the Bears 28-7 in the second half of Sunday's game. The Bucs.

Six days earlier, the Bears gave up 27 points to the St. Louis Rams. If defense wins championships, then the Bears better find some help for Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs. And fast.

Did I mention the injuries? Offensive tackle John Tait missed the last game, though it didn't seem fatal. Cornerback Nathan Vasher was out. Defensive tackle Tommie Harris is lost for the season. So is safety Mike Brown. Jones has some cranky ribs. Charles Tillman is nursing a sore back.

And yet, Mr. "The Glass Is Completely Full" Smith acts as if it's a huge deal the Bears are unbeaten against the rest of the NFC North mopes. He recites the Bears' overall record like it's a weather update. Last week, 11-2. This week, 12-2. Next week, after they dispose of the Lions, 13-2.

But it doesn't change some essential truths about this team. First of all, they aren't the '85 Bears. Never were -- even when they were winning big during the first six weeks of this season. Never will be. Aside from the fact that the '85 Bears would crush your thorax the moment you walked off the team bus, they were likeable, eccentric, charismatic.

The '06 Bears reflect Smith. Mostly bland. Defensive. In a state of denial about all sorts of things, including, oh, I don't know, defensive tackles, assault rifles, and wee-hour fatal shootings.

Four days after police raided his suburban Chicago home and found unregistered firearms, Johnson was still on the team. Three days after Bears management read him the riot act, and two days after his friend/roommate/bodyguard was shot and killed at a Chicago nightclub (with Johnson at the same club), Johnson was still on the team.

Smith didn't absolve Johnson's actions, but during his weekly news conference Monday he did seem to suggest that the defensive tackle's Bears' career still had a heartbeat, however faint. If so, then Smith needs a refresher course on tough love.

There is a lot to like about these Bears, but more to dislike. They are either five games from a Super Bowl championship or three games from a January playoff loss. Right now, I'm leaning toward the loss. Too much Bears' indifference, arrogance and self-importance.

What's that phrase they tell alcoholics? The first step toward recovery is admitting you've got a problem.

That's what the Bears have to do: admit they've got a problem. There's still time for recovery. Barely.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn3.com.

I mean I'm not saying the Bears are perfect by any stretch of the means but this is a bit ridiculous don't you think?

DMBZeppelin
12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
I mean I'm not saying the Bears are perfect by any stretch of the means but this is a bit ridiculous don't you think?
THANK YOU!! I read that yesterday and thought it was complete garbage. He doesn't even state facts or stats to back anything up. Most of the article basically says "The Bears haven't cut Tank yet so that means they suck, and Lovie isn't a good coach."

Strugz10
12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
THANK YOU!! I read that yesterday and thought it was complete garbage. He doesn't even state facts or stats to back anything up. Most of the article basically says "The Bears haven't cut Tank yet so that means they suck, and Lovie isn't a good coach."
Yeah it's a terrible article.

Fink
12-21-2006, 01:33 AM
Word on the street is, after further investigation Tank's charges may be dropped! Apparently his rambo collection WAS registered, just not in Illinois. He had them registered in Arizona, then brought them to chicago once he moved. It's still probably going to violate his probation, but this loophole is great news as far as the severity of his future punishment goes :upyours.

Strugz10
12-21-2006, 09:45 AM
Fuck yeah. I hadn't heard that :upyours

DMBZeppelin
12-21-2006, 09:56 AM
Fuck yeah. I hadn't heard that :upyours
I've also heard that regardless of that he's still got some charges from 05 that could land him in jail soon. It's all very confusing. Wish I could get a good source on what's the most current and up to date info.

Fink
12-23-2006, 05:46 AM
I'm glad to hear that lovie has denied any rumors of the starters being benched. he said that if they are healthy enough to play, they will be in the game. We definitely need the momentum and continuity if we want our offense to show up in the playoffs. Great decision to keep them in rather than being paranoid about the possibility of injury, IMO.

What do you think? Should we play it safe and ensure healthiness, or do you agree to keep the momentum up?

Strugz10
12-23-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm glad to hear that lovie has denied any rumors of the starters being benched. he said that if they are healthy enough to play, they will be in the game. We definitely need the momentum and continuity if we want our offense to show up in the playoffs. Great decision to keep them in rather than being paranoid about the possibility of injury, IMO.

What do you think? Should we play it safe and ensure healthiness, or do you agree to keep the momentum up?
Definitely keep them in. They need to be sharp going into the playoffs especially with the bye week. I say let Grossman play the first half and then put Greise in. Leave the starting defense in the entire game unless we're somehow winning by a ton or losing by a ton.

DMBZeppelin
12-26-2006, 02:30 AM
The New Years Eve game against the Packers got moved from Noon to 7:15 p.m. (CT). I hope we blow them out on national T.V. and end their playoff hopes.

Strugz10
12-26-2006, 11:07 AM
Interesting. They probably did it because it could be Brett's last game.

DMBZeppelin
12-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Interesting. They probably did it because it could be Brett's last game.
Not to mention the Madden/Favre love fest. Also the Packers are fighting for a wild card spot. Will know for sure by the time of the game, but a win could get them in:

NFC North
• Chicago has clinched the division and home-field advantage in the NFC.

• Green Bay can clinch a playoff berth with:
1. A win plus a NY Giants win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG
Or
2. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus a St. Louis loss or tie
Or
3. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus a Carolina win
Or
4. A win plus a NY Giants loss or tie plus an Atlanta win
Or
5. A tie plus a NY Giants loss plus a St. Louis loss plus an Atlanta loss or tie plus a Carolina loss or tie

• Green Bay clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over N.Y. Giants if: Arizona, Detroit, Miami, Minnesota and San Francisco all win and Carolina, Houston and Tampa Bay all lose.

Strugz10
12-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I'm glad we don't have to mess with any of those stupid wild card scenarios like the other teams :D

DMBZeppelin
12-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Wow that was just HORRIBLE! I think the main problem is coaching. That's all I have to say.

jaking1185
01-01-2007, 01:53 AM
Wow that was just HORRIBLE! I think the main problem is coaching. That's all I have to say.

I think the one thing that will hold this team back is Grossman. A 0.0 QB rating does not inspire confidence going into the playoffs.

DMBZeppelin
01-01-2007, 02:08 AM
I think the one thing that will hold this team back is Grossman. A 0.0 QB rating does not inspire confidence going into the playoffs.
So play calling and poor protection had nothing to do with it? The one bad thing thing that Grossman did tonight that caused his 0.0 was locking onto recievers. It's not like he's never looked off them before. He was just dead locked onto them from the time he snapped the ball. Then it was just easy to jump the route. He also only threw 12 passes. Not like he had a full game. Either ways both QBs blew tonight. The Packers played great defense. I think we should have ran way more and controlled the clock and the game. I mean Grossman had 3 INTs and Griese 2 INTs and both were lucky it wasn't more. Both had dropped INTs. Either way I hope the real Bears show up for the playoffs.

jaking1185
01-01-2007, 02:39 AM
So play calling and poor protection had nothing to do with it? The one bad thing thing that Grossman did tonight that caused his 0.0 was locking onto recievers. It's not like he's never looked off them before. He was just dead locked onto them from the time he snapped the ball. Then it was just easy to jump the route. He also only threw 12 passes. Not like he had a full game. Either ways both QBs blew tonight. The Packers played great defense. I think we should have ran way more and controlled the clock and the game. I mean Grossman had 3 INTs and Griese 2 INTs and both were lucky it wasn't more. Both had dropped INTs. Either way I hope the real Bears show up for the playoffs.

I noticed Grossman doing that tonight. I think his confidence is shaken. Early this year he had it working. When he started to struggle in the middle of the season you could see his eyes were like saucers when he stepped to the line. The playcalling had to be reined in so Grossman wasn't killing them with interceptions. I wish the Bears well but I don't know....

EClayton08
01-01-2007, 03:57 AM
poor Bears, they got 2 weeks to think about this loss and that they have 2 QBs not worth a shit. Lose in 2nd round.

dsera
01-01-2007, 04:13 AM
poor Bears, they got 2 weeks to think about this loss and that they have 2 QBs not worth a shit. Lose in 2nd round.
Hold on. Griese is a fine QB. I'd take him back in Tampa any day of the week.

EClayton08
01-01-2007, 04:13 AM
Hold on. Griese is a fine QB. I'd take him back in Tampa any day of the week.

he didn't appear so tonight

dsera
01-01-2007, 04:22 AM
he didn't appear so tonight
That's one game. Chicago looked bad all around, it wasn't just the QB. ;)

EClayton08
01-01-2007, 04:24 AM
That's one game. Chicago looked bad all around, it wasn't just the QB. ;)

bad time of the season to be doing that :lol I love it

dsera
01-01-2007, 04:26 AM
bad time of the season to be doing that :lol I love it
Don't get too happy, they're still going to the SuperBowl.

EClayton08
01-01-2007, 04:46 AM
Don't get too happy, they're still going to the SuperBowl.

nope, they aren't. I'd be willingly to put a wager on that as well.

dsera
01-01-2007, 05:03 AM
nope, they aren't. I'd be willingly to put a wager on that as well.
Okay so who do you see in the NFC that will beat them?

EClayton08
01-01-2007, 05:09 AM

Seahawks/Cowboys

dsera
01-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Seahawks/Cowboys
:lol :lol :lol

sarge
01-01-2007, 12:05 PM
bears will not go to the bowl.

jaking1185
01-01-2007, 01:48 PM
bears will not go to the bowl.

I agree. There are at least 3 teams that can beat them. They will probably go out in their first game.

DMBZeppelin
01-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Seahawks/Cowboys
Couple of notes -

When asked by the Chicago Media. Urlacher was even saying how the defense has been unmovtived (this was before the Packers game). He said it's probably hard for some people on the team to work as hard with everything locked up. He also said he doesn't think it will be a problem come playoff time.

The Bears will be the healthiest they've been in a long time come the playoffs. Especially the secondary which has been exploited with Hester playing Nickle.

Do you not remember the Bears/Seahawks game earlier in the year? I fully expect the Bears to show up to the playoff game. The NFC is weak. The Cowboys just got beat by the Lions who only a week earlier the Bears beat and unlike Romo Rex didn't have any INTs in that game.

EClayton08
01-02-2007, 02:56 AM
The NFC is weak.

good thing you know why the Bears are 13-3 cause of the weak NFC, you just said so yourself. Dallas/Seahawks will own them.

Strugz10
01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
I'll be completely honest...I'm not sure what I think about this team anymore.

simbro
01-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I'll be completely honest...I'm not sure what I think about this team anymore.

yeah, i have the same feelings. maybe they were taking it easy the past couple of weeks, but i still have a bad feeling going into the playoffs.

DMBZeppelin
01-03-2007, 12:48 AM
good thing you know why the Bears are 13-3 cause of the weak NFC, you just said so yourself. Dallas/Seahawks will own them.
A weak NFC the Bears dominated. The Cowboys and Seahawks didn't exactly feast on the weak NFC. This Bears team had zero offense last year and still got in. Next year they have a very hard schedule: In addition to home and road games against NFC North foes Detroit, Green Bay and Minnesota, Chicago will host Dallas, the New York Giants, Denver, Kansas City and New Orleans; and visit Philadelphia, Washington, Oakland, San Diego and Seattle.

Besides two against Detroit, and the one against Oakland. The Bears will face playoff caliber teams all year in 07'. So I'm sure if they make the playoffs people will still find something to say.

DMBZeppelin
01-03-2007, 12:58 AM
Just to show some stats on Grossman that show he's the right guy to stick with:

We all know by now that Grossman led the NFL in games of 100 QB Rating or more with 7. Well other things that show he's not a total train wreck. The first 16 games of his career (which was in Novemeber. I forget after which game.) compare like this to Favre's first 16 starts:

Grossman has led the Bears to a 12-4 record as a starter while completing 262 of 469 passes for 3,305 yards with 21 touchdowns and 16 interceptions. His stats are comparable to those of Brett Favre, who passed for 3,390 yards with 20 TDs and 17 interceptions in his first 16 pro starts in 1992-93.

Not saying he'll be that, but since they are both gunslingers I figured I'd post that. Grossman is now 18-6 as a starter. This is also his first full season. Oh ChicagoBears.com this question was submited in their Chalk Talk section:

Larry: I am so tired of people bashing Rex Grossman. We have to understand that this is really his rookie season as a player. How many interceptions did Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer throw in their first full seasons at the helm? I think that we’ll be mentioning Rex’s name along with those two in years to come.

Bryan R.
Okinawa, Japan

Bryan: Rex Grossman’s statistics are very similar to those of Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer in their first full seasons as starting quarterbacks. In fact, Grossman had a better passer rating (73.9) and threw fewer interceptions (20) than Manning (71.2 passer rating with 28 interceptions) did while starting all 16 games as a rookie with the Indianapolis Colts in 1998. Carson Palmer threw 18 interceptions while compiling a 77.3 passer rating in his first full season as a starter with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2004. Grossman passed for 3,193 yards and 23 TDs, while Manning threw for 3,739 yards and 26 TDs and Palmer amassed 2,897 yards and 18 TDs.

Now like I said I don't think this means he'll be the next Manning, Palmer, or Favre. Coming into the year he had just 6 starts. He needed to get experiance. Well this whole season is a learning experiance. After a full off season to take everything in that he's learned this year. I think next year will be the most telling of his career. If he's up and down again at that point I'd be like "Well he's got a high ceiling, but too low of a basement." and either trade him or bench him. Because he'd be a valueable backup. I mean in 08' he'll have a minimum of 2 playoff start. More if they win their first game.

Strugz10
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Interesting stats.

I agree that next year will be the true measurement of Grossman as a QB. I'm just sick of people here in Chicago expecting them to win it all this year. We can win it all if we bring our A game the entire playoffs, but we've been way too streaky/inconsistent. Everyone knows that the teams going into the playoffs playing the hottest usually go all the way, and the Bears are not playing like a "hot" team.

Wescoast
01-03-2007, 06:00 PM
much like a dmb concert high expectations lead to disappointment. id love for the bears to make it to the bowl, but honestly dont even expect them to win the first game at soldier field. next year will be the year to judge rex, his inconsistency proves him capable, he just has to put it all together.

i love the argument 'the bears play in the weak nfc'... i mean duh. they dominated a weak schedule, you cant blame them for what they were give. if they were like the seahawks and won with a 9-7 record i would understand your argument. they didnt though, they finished with the second best record in football, beating up on teams they should have.

DMBZeppelin
01-04-2007, 06:38 AM
much like a dmb concert high expectations lead to disappointment. id love for the bears to make it to the bowl, but honestly dont even expect them to win the first game at soldier field. next year will be the year to judge rex, his inconsistency proves him capable, he just has to put it all together.

i love the argument 'the bears play in the weak nfc'... i mean duh. they dominated a weak schedule, you cant blame them for what they were give. if they were like the seahawks and won with a 9-7 record i would understand your argument. they didnt though, they finished with the second best record in football, beating up on teams they should have.
Which is why I can't wait for the playoffs. I mean the Bears have beaten the teams they should. Even when Rex has been bad we've still won. I think that can still happen in the playoffs. Rex could also play great and we could still lose. As long as Hester can do well, he doesn't need to get TDs just give us good field position. Then we can just win games as long as we play well on offense or defense. Just win two out of three phases and we probably win the game. The great thing is we only need Rex to be great (which he has been) for ONE game. Just one. In the NFC games he can play like crap and we might win. We need good Rex for Miami if we go.

So who is everyone rooting for to play the Bears? I hope it's the Giants and that Dallas beats the Seahawks. That way if we beat the Giants (injury depleted) again then it means we only need to beat a dome team in Chicago in January to get to the Super Bowl.

Strugz10
01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
DA BEARS!

:rawk :rawk :rawk :rawk :rawk :rawk :rawk :rawk

DMBZeppelin
01-20-2007, 07:12 AM
Seahawks/Cowboys
Well that didn't turn out as predicted.

Strugz10
01-20-2007, 01:12 PM
One.more.day.

I'm gonna freeze my ass off tomorrow but it's going to be soooooooooooooooo worth it.

breuer33
01-21-2007, 07:39 PM
my ohh my! this is great for the city of chitown

bidroc
01-22-2007, 09:42 AM
GO BEARS!!!!!! 1986/2007

Strugz10
01-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Yesterday was simply magic. I can't believe I was there practically on the field!

http://photos-266.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v60/53/71/7702092/n7702092_32743266_385.jpg

Wescoast
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
wooooooooooooooooooo

Strugz10
01-22-2007, 12:52 PM
My favorite things I saw yesterday:
#1)http://photos-969.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v60/53/71/7702092/n7702092_32742969_2769.jpg

#2) http://photos-264.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v60/53/71/7702092/n7702092_32743264_8605.jpg

Bartender
01-23-2007, 02:37 PM
It's going to be a long two weeks.

Strugz10
02-04-2007, 02:14 PM
HERE WE GO!

Strugz10
02-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Looks like Rivera will be with us for another year. I hate to be selfish, but I'm kinda glad.

Bartender
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Looks like Rivera will be with us for another year. I hate to be selfish, but I'm kinda glad.
What have you heard? Are they close with someone else?

Bartender
02-08-2007, 12:09 PM
ahh, Wade Phillips I see

Strugz10
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
So if the Bears give up Lovie Smith I'm gonna lose a ton of respect for the organization.

Strugz10
03-01-2007, 09:55 AM
LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) -- Lovie Smith got a contract extension and a raise, nearly a month after a Super Bowl appearance and a week after his agent said negotiations were so stalled the Chicago Bears coach probably would leave after the 2007 season.

After meeting Wednesday with team president Ted Phillips, Smith signed a four-year contract extension through 2011. The deal was announced by the team Wednesday night, as was an extension through 2013 for general manager Jerry Angelo.

The lowest-paid coach in the NFL last season at $1.35 million when he led the Bears to the Super Bowl, Smith's deal will average about $4.7 million per season over five years.

Smith will about make $22 million in new money and the total value of the five years is $23.45 million, the Chicago Tribune reported. Smith was scheduled to make $1.45 million this season in the final year of his initial four-year contract.

Despite the dire predictions of his agent Frank Bauer, Smith said last week during the NFL Combine in Indianapolis that he expected to get a new contract.

"Sometimes, with a contract, it takes time," Smith said. "But I'm confident we'll get it done."

Bauer had not been so optimistic.

"We're not close, we're not encouraged and based on where talks have gone recently, Lovie will be a free agent after next season," Bauer said last week. "It would take an unforeseen breakthrough for this to get done. And we are being more than reasonable in the market."

The Bears will hold a news conference Thursday, and had no further comment Wednesday night.

Smith, the 2005 NFL coach of the year, led the Bears to a 15-4 record and their first NFC championship in more than two decades last season before they lost 29-17 to Indianapolis in the Super Bowl.

Angelo, initially hired on June 12, 2001, is credited with stocking the Bears with a mix of veterans and young players. Chicago returned 22 players who started at some point last season, and through the draft added key rookies such as defensive end Mark Anderson, who had 12 sacks, and Devin Hester, who set an NFL record with six kick returns for touchdowns.

Angelo previously had his contract extended through 2008 on Dec. 29, 2003, the day Dick Jauron was fired as Bears coach.

The signing of Angelo and Smith is the latest development in a whirlwind offseason for the Bears, less than a month since the Super Bowl.

The Bears already decided not to give a new contract to defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who had interviewed for eight head coaching vacancies the last two years. Rivera was hired by the Chargers to be their linebackers coach.

Quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson left to accept the same position in Dallas and the Bears have announced defensive line coach Don Johnson and assistant offensive line coach Harold Goodwin would not return.

Smith promoted Bob Babich from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator and hired Hardy Nickerson to coach linebackers and Brick Haley to coach the defensive line.

Chicago also designated Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs as its franchise player.

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

About fucking time!!!!

Wescoast
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
yep great news.

Chicago also designated Pro Bowl linebacker Lance Briggs as its franchise player.
this one too!

Strugz10
03-01-2007, 10:20 AM
I'm not a fan of putting Briggs as a franchise player. I wish we could just sign him to a long term contract, but with his prick agent it's making things more complicated than it needs to be.

I don't know if Briggs deserves more money than Urlacher, but I would pay him pretty close to what Urlacher gets.

Wescoast
03-01-2007, 10:28 AM
id certainly rather they just sign him to long term contract but at least he isnt leaving.

Strugz10
03-01-2007, 10:36 AM
We don't know for sure he's staying though. Lance expressed his unhappiness with the situation and said he would consider being traded. If the Bears traded him they would get two first round picks for him, and with how cheap the Bears are I don't see this as completely far fetched.