PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Field Appreciation Thread

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Last night, I watched this for the first time in a long while. This was a year I didn't see any shows during, and lately have forgotten even existed. So, I really enjoyed watching this, maybe even too much. From a production viewpoint it's not that good (though the picture quality is very crisp), but it's an interesting show to look at now. One thing that stood out to me is how bare-bones the stage setup was, compared to now. Simple, two screens, nothing too fancy in terms of lighting.

While the ED material isn't my favorite, it's nice to have video footage of all of these songs that can't be found on any other release. So Right and Everyday are probably my favorite two ED performances on this one, both very solid. Angel stood out to me too. While not everyone was digging these extended versions of the song, I found it's a refreshing mid-show relaxing jazzy jam. I don't mind the LL's performance on this either, I enjoy when they introduce the band members and they each do a little breakdown. Carter's is especially fun to watch, with the casual way he spins his drum stick over and catches it.

The performances of JTR, and BEF > Bartender are the other true highlights for me. Nothing short of awesome. I love in JTR when Carter points his stick towards the camera too. It's also nice to have a video recording of Digging a Ditch, which I suspect is a song that won't ever be selected for a compilation DVD release, so it's nice we got it here. Good song.

Overall, it's not the greatest selection of songs, but I think it's a good DVD to have, especially from a completist standpoint, because of how many songs are here that you can't find on other DVD releases.

Discuss. :blah

TheNoise
11-19-2006, 01:55 PM
if you treat every song like it's a music video, it's alright.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 01:57 PM
if you treat every song like it's a music video, it's alright.

Some songs are definitely more like that than others. Angel, for example, is pretty easy to watch. Nothing too over-the-top with the production on that one.

Mersh
11-19-2006, 01:57 PM
just...no.

I'll give you Bartender, but other than that...meh.

sarge
11-19-2006, 01:59 PM
just...no.

i completely agree...BEF and So Right are ok as well

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 02:00 PM
just...no.

Yeah, I know it's nobody's favorite. But I like to think all the releases have at least something to offer and appreciate, if only just one or two songs.

Poth Ead
11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
DDTW through Bartender to start this show are more-or-less above average performances of those songs... I agree it's nice to have Ditch on DVD b/c we'll never get that one again on video. Overall, the show is still a 5 out of 10 for me.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
DDTW through Bartender to start this show are more-or-less above average performances of those songs... I agree it's nice to have Ditch on DVD b/c we'll never get that one again on video. Overall, the show is still a 5 out of 10 for me.

For the record, I should add that the second half of this show I do think is very subpar, setlist and performance-wise, with the super-truncated Recently, the odd intro to Warehouse, and a short Two Step. I do dig the first 10 songs though.

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
even ants and two step sound awful in 01. there are very few redeemable qualities of that release, but i will say i love that big eyed fish>bartender.

oh i also love the bizarro stop time warehouse intro, just for its fucking with the woo's.

DMBTex10101
11-19-2006, 04:06 PM
For the record, I should add that the second half of this show I do think is very subpar, setlist and performance-wise, with the super-truncated Recently, the odd intro to Warehouse, and a short Two Step. I do dig the first 10 songs though.

I really enjoy the first half of the show. Even that Everyday and the If I Had It All. I'm a fan of the Warehouse, Ditch, and the Watchtower as well, but I do not enjoy watching the DVD.

With the few songs aside, it's too hard to watch. 9 times out of 10 (and that's really probably how many times I've watched it), I'll put it on, and do something else while I listen to it and glance over at it every once in a while.

That set really isn't that bad compared to some of the others from '01, but yes, the DVD is easily the worst of their officially released DVDs, not that this hasn't been established already.

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:08 PM
This release is nothing short of a fucking embarassment. It is the epitomy of everything that went completely to shit.

Fan#41
11-19-2006, 04:09 PM
This release is nothing short of a fucking embarassment. It is the epitomy of everything that went completely to shit.

4/21/01 called and said thanks for the block.

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:09 PM
4/21/01 called and said thanks for the block.

At least they had the good sense not to release that garbage.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:10 PM

I love how even Fenton shit on it recently. :lol but :\

Fan#41
At least they had the good sense not to release that garbage.

:nod

Strugz10
I'm sorry but...no.

bsan83
Some songs are definitely more like that than others. Angel, for example, is pretty easy to watch. Nothing too over-the-top with the production on that one.

Except for the fact that it's the worst-performed 15 min. song probably in the history of music.

Fan#41
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
The one saving grace FF has is Bartender with some other decent performances like Crash, So Right and even that JTR which wasn't mixed very well is solid. That's about it.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Except for the fact that it's the worst-performed 15 min. song probably in the history of music.

Now Bill, we all know that after '05 and '06 we have plenty more of those to choose from.

Strugz10
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
I'm honestly not sure which is worse, a 15 minute Angel or Dreamgirl.

bsan83
The one saving grace FF has is Bartender with some other decent performances like Crash, So Right and even that JTR which wasn't mixed very well is solid. That's about it.

I mean, as you alluded to, you can't even hear Dave's guitar on JTR, which is the best part of the damn song.

Crush87
I'm honestly not sure which is worse, a 15 minute Angel or Dreamgirl.

yea yea yea

Strugz10
11-19-2006, 04:13 PM
yea yea yea
:boohoo

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Now Bill, we all know that after '05 and '06 we have plenty more of those to choose from.

As bad as any Old Dirt Hill/What You Are encore is, it doesn't even approach the pathetisadness that is the "jammed out Angel" (as the road page referred to that God-awful outro when it debuted).

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Hell, even Dream Girl had 'Roi soloing on the soprano, and that alone put it above Angel.

About the only thing that can top Angel since then is the C'Ville Smooth Rider.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:15 PM
As bad as any Old Dirt Hill/What You Are encore is, it doesn't even approach the pathetisadness that is the "jammed out Angel" (as the road page referred to that God-awful outro when it debuted).

I'm more refering to that fucking-peice-of-shit-didnt-know-it-could-get-any-worse-excuse-for-a-god-awful-song Smooth Rider with SUNGLASSES!! at C'ville

Naediel
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
No appreciation from me.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:16 PM
:lol we're on the same page

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:17 PM
I'm more refering to that fucking-peice-of-shit-didnt-know-it-could-get-any-worse-excuse-for-a-god-awful-song Smooth Rider with SUNGLASSES!! at C'ville

If I listen closely, I think I can hear them still playing it.

Crush87
11-19-2006, 04:18 PM
If I listen closely, I think I can hear them still playing it.

Honestly, lets just stop talking about it.

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
Honestly, lets just stop talking about it.

Too late; I all ready slammed my head into my fireplace.

TheNoise
11-19-2006, 04:28 PM
when the CP dvd came out i did a quick comparision between the number of crowd shots on CP DDTW and FF DDTW. it was some staggering number like 7 on CP and 50-something on FF

the should have called it something like 'the fans of dave matthews band dance awkwardly and sing off pace as they watch dave matthews band... special small appearance by dave matthews band.'

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 04:31 PM
when the CP dvd came out i did a quick comparision between the number of crowd shots on CP DDTW and FF DDTW. it was some staggering number like 7 on CP and 50-something on FF

the should have called it something like 'the fans of dave matthews band dance awkwardly and sing off pace as they watch dave matthews band... special small appearance by dave matthews band FEATURING FAT GOSPEL SLUTS.'

i edited your post for you..

TheNoise
11-19-2006, 04:34 PM
that works.

sometimes i forget that the LL are on listener supported and i get disappointed when they show up. :(

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
:lol My thread has gone to shit. Oh well.

There's also no doubt in my mind that the LL's bother everyone here a million times more than me. IIHIA and IDI are the only songs they really bother me on at all. I guess after listening to Pink Floyd for a long time I've gotten used to gospel backup singers.

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, that's at least one change they made in the past few years that's been redeeming. :lol

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
:lol My thread has gone to shit. Oh well.

There's also no doubt in my mind that the LL's bother everyone here a million times more than me. IIHIA and IDI are the only songs they really bother me on at all. I guess after listening to Pink Floyd for a long time I've gotten used to gospel backup singers.

when you make an appreciation thread for a show that symbolizes the worst year of the band, thast what you get...

female backup singers and gospel backup singers are not the same thing. pink floyd doesnt have gospel singers. if i wanted to hear gospel singers i would go to a southern baptist church.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 04:52 PM
when you make an appreciation thread for a show that symbolizes the worst year of the band, thast what you get...

Yeah, well, it's well-known that most people hate this release. But since that's been well-documented since 2002 already, I was hoping the thread would bring out the "I know this release is subpar, but _________ is a great performance/moment/aspect" crowd. I'm always surprised how often it seems people really can't find a redeeming quality from it, even though Bartender, JTR, DDTW, So Right, Watchtower, Warehouse, Two Step, Ants, and Big Eyed Fish are all on it. To each his own I suppose.

bsan83
11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Yeah, well, it's well-known that most people hate this release. But since that's been well-documented since 2002 already, I was hoping the thread would bring out the "I know this release is subpar, but _________ is a great performance/moment/aspect" crowd. I'm always surprised how often it seems people really can't find a redeeming quality from it, even though Bartender, JTR, DDTW, So Right, Watchtower, Warehouse, Two Step, Ants, and Big Eyed Fish are all on it. To each his own I suppose.

You can't hear Dave's guitar on JTR, rendering it worthless, Watchtower has that God-awful fake guitar solo, Warehouse has that stupid "I'm fucking w/ the crowd" stop time thing, Two Step doesn't have any jam, and Don't Drink the Water and Ants aren't special versions for any means and are on about every release.

Fishtender is the only redeeming thing about this release, and 2 songs out of a 3 hour show is a pretty awful release.

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 05:04 PM
the performances of every classic song except bartender are awful on this release... i dont care if half the show looks good on paper, its not.

oh, and i like the butch/guitar effect, always have, but its still not a great version of the song.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 05:16 PM
the performances of every classic song except bartender are awful on this release... i dont care if half the show looks good on paper, its not.

Hmm. If you don't mind my asking, what do you find awful about the performances of So Right, DDTW, ED, BEF, and DaD. I don't have to ask about JTR because I know everyone hates the ladies on it.

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 05:21 PM
Hmm. If you don't mind my asking, what do you find awful about the performances of So Right, DDTW, ED, BEF, and DaD. I don't have to ask about JTR because I know everyone hates the ladies on it.

the only remotely "classic song" on that list is dont drink the water and that version is nothing special. that ED has ladies (does so right i cant remember), and ditch/big eyed fish are not songs that save a release.

warehouse, two step, ants, recently, and every other classic on that release were performed poorly in 2001. too much butch mirorring dave, and not playing his own parts the way he has since late 03/early 04.

captainbluntmofo
11-19-2006, 05:24 PM
I remember liking JTR.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 05:29 PM
the only remotely "classic song" on that list is dont drink the water and that version is nothing special. that ED has ladies (does so right i cant remember), and ditch/big eyed fish are not songs that save a release.

So Right doesn't have the ladies.
To be clear though, I'm not saying these songs really "save" the release. They're just songs that if I felt like watching/listening to 20-30 minutes of live DMB material, I'd consider skipping through the release to listen/watch these ones. The release as a whole is definitely bottom barrel for DMB. I just think it has some redeeming qualities that give it a little bit of worthiness.

warehouse, two step, ants, recently, and every other classic on that release were performed poorly in 2001. too much butch mirorring dave, and not playing his own parts the way he has since late 03/early 04.

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch Warehouse, Two Step, Ants, Recently, Watchtower, Stay, or Crash from this release.

Tomacco
11-19-2006, 05:36 PM
One thing I've wondered about: Do you think we'll ever see any 2001 shows in the LiveTrax series?

FishMonkeyMan
11-19-2006, 06:07 PM
i dont own the dvd. ive never seen it. i do own the audio release. the only dmb releases i do not own are that dvd and this greatest hits album (and technically i dont have the gorge dvd/2 disc, but i dont count that because i bought the 6 disc)

burstandbloom
11-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I was at this show with ok seats on the field. Im in the video a couple of times.

Honestly, the show was pretty damn miserable for me. My last run of shows was stl->kc at the end of 2000 and I had actually liked some of the sets I had heard previous to this for 01. This show was boring. DDTW and jtr were pretty hot but after that the show just lose all direction. BEF-> Bartender was smooth but outside of that the show just trainwrecked.

The songs there have matured and sound a ton better now. So Right is enjoyable and WYA can really be a blast but at that time, they had zero energy.

The sound mix also sounds crappy too. I can barely here any guitar in half of the songs. JTR sounds horrible in that aspect.

Chaveznwo
11-19-2006, 06:32 PM
I have not seen this in a long, long time. Isn't this the DVD where they couldn't stay on one camera shot for more than 2 seconds?

bsan83
11-19-2006, 06:45 PM
One thing I've wondered about: Do you think we'll ever see any 2001 shows in the LiveTrax series?

None should even be considered.

CRUSHsoccer15
11-19-2006, 08:00 PM
While I'm starting to enjoy the ED songs more and more recently, this thing is still hard to watch.

I really like DDTW thru Bartender. It doesn't get much play past that though.

Disco Stu
11-19-2006, 08:54 PM
First Live DMB album i ever had, I guess i liked it enough to stick around

Smokey the Bear
11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I appreciate Bartender, So Right, and Crash...thats about it

danmtz
11-19-2006, 11:11 PM
I like from that show...
Bartender
DDTW
So Right
BEF
Warehouse

ssdmbfan
11-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Bartender is great, but I honestly can't watch anything else without getting a headache. It's awful.

Wescoast
11-20-2006, 12:29 AM
im not gonna bother reading this thread. the folsom release does not in any way deserve an appreciation thread. ive never seen the dvd, nor do i want to and i havent listened to the cd since whenever it came out... what early 02.

greykitkat36
11-20-2006, 12:36 AM
Tommaco is right.

The DVD is awful. The CD's are terrible. However:

DDTW: Appropriate opener, energetic. Overall a good, but standard version.

JTR: Perfect.

Fish >> Bartender : Might be the best segue of these two songs ever played. The FF Bartender is in the top 5 ever.

So Right: Money. So Right is always played good..although I like it a bit better with Rashawn tearin' it up.

Angel: 15-min. Whatever. The song itself is bad but I like the riff and the introductions are cool and it's a jazzy jam. I agree with Tomacco on that.

Two Step>>Ants = Atrocious. I skip it. Two Step without the jam is empty to me and Ants is just sub-par at best. The titties alone doesn't save Ants on this release.

Conclusion: I watch it from time to time...it's alright. The songs above are what I watch..the rest is blah. The production is so shitty.

Tambourine Man
11-20-2006, 02:10 AM
The only redeeming qualities about this show is the chick who shows her boobs and Bartender.

The mix makes Bartender suck, unfortunately.

bbycrei
11-20-2006, 08:59 AM
If memory serves, that Two Step was played becuase that girl on Fanclub asked him too.

CRUSHsoccer15
11-20-2006, 09:38 AM
If memory serves, that Two Step was played becuase that girl on Fanclub asked him too.I believe so, STDHer was supposed to be played.

I'd almost rather have a live/DVD release of STDHer than that Two Step.

burstandbloom
11-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I believe so, STDHer was supposed to be played.

I'd almost rather have a live/DVD release of STDHer than that Two Step.

at that spot or somewhere else in the set?

I hope to god it was somewhere else. If not, that would be like a wayg closer

BeQuietAndDrive
11-20-2006, 12:50 PM
at that spot or somewhere else in the set?

I hope to god it was somewhere else. If not, that would be like a wayg closer

Ants closed.

burstandbloom
11-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Ants closed.

correct. I was saying that tossing in stdh instead of a two step would kill a mood quicker than a wayg closer.

simbro
11-21-2006, 05:00 PM
i listened to this awhile ago and while it wasnt horrible, the flow of the 2001 shows was just bad.

vandamit
11-21-2006, 05:03 PM
not a huge fan of this show rea;;y

wezvidz
11-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Watchtower from this show came up on random today, great version (Butch). I then listened to the trifecta of So Right, BEF->Bartender.. all three just about perfect versions. That's about it as far as highlights go though.

priceofacoke910
11-21-2006, 09:14 PM
You know, the title alone of this thread made me pop this one in today at work....there are some outstanding performances on this. So Right is fantastic as is BEF-Bartender and Two Step-Ants. Really nice show. That Watchtower in the beginning is really cool too.

bbycrei
11-22-2006, 07:16 AM
I decided to finally upload this to the Ipod just to listen to it since it's been a long time.

burstandbloom
11-24-2006, 04:35 PM
That Watchtower in the beginning is really cool too.

and to tell you the truth, people started leaving during watchtower because they figured it was the closer.

Gary.
11-24-2006, 04:49 PM
No, this ain't happening. This release sucked. This show sucked. It deserves no accolades. There will be no revisionist history. It was god awful.

END OF THREAD.

Tomacco
11-24-2006, 04:51 PM
No, this ain't happening. This release sucked. This show sucked. It deserves no accolades. There will be no revisionist history. It was god awful.

END OF THREAD.

As soon as I saw your name as the latest post in this thread, I knew there'd be some over-the-top negative reaction.

CRUSHsoccer15
11-24-2006, 05:04 PM
I wish the production on this DVD didn't make it impossible to watch. It would be nice to have a watchable DVD with some of the Everyday stuff.

kern
11-24-2006, 05:14 PM
why didnt they play JTR at fenway? I wanted another release of this. FF is the only CD dmb release i dont ever plan to own

priceofacoke910
11-25-2006, 07:07 AM
and to tell you the truth, people started leaving during watchtower because they figured it was the closer.
Interesting. I just was interested in Dave's melody as it was a bit different than normal. So sorry people leave during songs.