PDA

View Full Version : Monkey Man

timh.
11-20-2006, 12:01 AM
seriously... what a great song. great lyrics... depressing, but great nonetheless. in all seriousness, i think this song's lyrics and composition rank up there with spoon and dreaming tree

great monkey man is going the distance
the lucky one's going to get it all
loving life now
living on top
oh lucky ones always get it all

oh i'm hungry
don't wanna die like a little dog
gonna take what i can get
i'm the monkey man
with the great great monkey plan

this crazy crazy little man
you've got yourself entangled

oh i'd love to lie to myself
to say everything is fine now
we got to keep it up or fall behind
i got to keep it up or lose the edge we found
drive faster
build higher still higher
dig deeper down til it's down in the ground
it's found used up and then thrown out

crazy crazy little man
what do you think you're doing here

big beautiful world just for us
good use we must put it to
any way i can think to use it up
what will i tell my grandson's grandsons

i could weave a fairy tale
of great bible thumping scale
when he stands empty hands on his empty land
that's what happened here great great monkey man

where did you think grey was the color of bliss
you think i don't know quite what to say
but i'm worried for myself in this

i'm hungry
don't wanna die like a little dog
well i eat what i can get
from the monkey man
great great monkey plan

crazy crazy man
man you've got yourself down in a pickle

crazy crazy monkey man
who is the one in the middle

dead

take a walk
cross the ice
melts too quickly
for us to reach the other side
it's cold in here
but the sun shines bright out
it warms this up here
oh the tide is rising higher
look it's strange floating by
looks just like arms that
flow out and ride now i will
golden age
these golden times
our golden days seem to have us
hypnotized or blind well

FERRALL
11-20-2006, 12:03 AM
i completely agree.

It took me a while, but after it was explained to me I can see how human history coincides with these lyrics. great tune.

Nitro1515
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
Just a flat out great song. I love the sound of the 12 string on it, its a shame they never revisited it

Wescoast
11-20-2006, 12:04 AM
i love the feel of the song. its a shame they didnt take it anywhere since. im sure its dead now.

timh.
11-20-2006, 12:09 AM
im sure its dead now.

this just completely perplexes me why someone would do this though... i know that i write some songs that i dont really like because i feel that the lyrics are poor or that it's musically shallow, but you'd think that since they thought enough of this song to record it for that album it's not in that category of songs that a songwriter would put throwaway songs... it seems like such a waste of effort for them to throw away songs like this that are already competed musically and lyrically, and actually great songs on top of all that. :boohoo

greykitkat36
11-20-2006, 12:10 AM
I love this song and completley agree. Among DMB's best recorded songs and certainly showcases the band at its prime. I mean, wow. I heard this the other day in the car and remembered how great it was.

greykitkat36
11-20-2006, 12:11 AM
this just completely perplexes me why someone would do this though... i know that i write some songs that i dont really like because i feel that the lyrics are poor or that it's musically shallow, but you'd think that since they thought enough of this song to record it for that album it's not in that category of songs that a songwriter would put throwaway songs... it seems like such a waste of effort for them to throw away songs like this that are already competed musically and lyrically, and actually great songs on top of all that. :boohoo

:upyours

I think they haven't forgotten about it..but obviously the band recorded it and just either didn't like it or drew no pleasure from playing it.

mr.mike
11-20-2006, 12:29 AM
I've loved this song since I got the lillywhites. I remember delivering pizza stoned out of my mind jammin to this song all the time.

Nitro1515
11-20-2006, 12:31 AM
it seems like such a waste of effort for them to throw away songs like this that are already competed musically and lyricallyThat is the most frustrating part. Its not like this is some random soundcheck song that we all go crazy over with Dave mumbling nonsense. This song was more completed (except for Boyd's part) than half the LWS tracks and now its never to be heard from again.

Smokey the Bear
11-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Just consider it to be like the Stand Up B-Sides...for some reason or another, they didn't like it and didn't want us to hear it. It was just a fluke that we heard this one.

hoopy frood
11-20-2006, 12:38 AM
one of my favorites. <3 :(

the last stanza (?) is my favorite.

groove merchant
11-20-2006, 12:39 AM
top 5...easy. sweet fuckin song.

Gary.
11-20-2006, 12:40 AM
sugar will--->
monkey man

one of these days.

hoopy frood
11-20-2006, 12:43 AM
sugar will--->
monkey man

one of these days.

OH GOD DON'T TEASE :boohoo

timh.
11-20-2006, 12:46 AM
Just consider it to be like the Stand Up B-Sides...for some reason or another, they didn't like it and didn't want us to hear it. It was just a fluke that we heard this one.

yeah i realize we were never meant to hear it... but my point still stands that i dont understand how a songwriter can just up and scrap a song that is as complete, solid, and thoughtful as monkey man is... i mean, surely dave can at least look back on that song now and be impressed with himself that he actually wrote that, because that song is nothing less than great...
and i realize that the rest of the band may hate it or something, but still... it's just sad to see the band's latest studio effort in contrast to what was apparently considered a throw away song 5 years ago

mefck
11-20-2006, 01:26 AM
It's sad that this has never been played live and we get a heaping pile of....such as dreamgirl dozens of times...

captainbluntmofo
11-20-2006, 02:03 AM
magical song for all sorts of reasons. Part of the mystique is that is on an unreleased album and the band has never referenced it before.

burstandbloom
11-20-2006, 04:24 AM
The riff is so right.

The lyrics just never grabbed me. To me its something that could have been fleshed out into semi-greatness, but as is... its just potential

julio_havok
11-20-2006, 05:38 AM
We must be happy that we managed to listen to this song. It's certainly one of the band's best. I really, really hope they release it in some way at some point.

Mac
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
I keep dreaming we'll here this song live one of these days. We'll see..

TRDW
11-20-2006, 11:27 PM
One of my favorite DMB songs. Best song to listen to at the beach with a full moon. Love it

bsan83
11-20-2006, 11:29 PM
I've never been a huge fan, but I do dig this line:

take a walk
cross the ice
melts too quickly
for us to reach the other side

soups
11-20-2006, 11:30 PM
the song sucks

TRDW
11-20-2006, 11:35 PM
the song sucks

How so? Lyrically especially I think it is up there with the Spoon, YNK's of the world

bsan83
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
How so? Lyrically especially I think it is up there with the Spoon, YNK's of the world

You just compared this song with tunes from the point of view of Jesus Christ and a 2 year old, respectively. Not a chance.

slugmother
11-23-2006, 06:51 AM
song is absolutely awesome