PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have the Motorola Q?

Wescoast
11-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I think im gonna get a smartphone/pda type phone pretty soon. The Q is really cheap right now...

Comments? Complaints?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

dsera
11-22-2006, 05:06 PM
If you do, let us know how the sound is when you talk on it. The V3 is such a POS I can't believe it. Although these aren't the same functioning phone, the top ear piece looks identical to me and it makes me sketchy on buying it. I'm all for having a kick ass phone that does all this other stuff but if the main function of the phone, which is to talk on it, is shit, the phone isn't worth it to me.
<sorry /rant>

Wescoast
11-22-2006, 05:13 PM
i totally agree. its what makes me sensitive about going for some of the other similar phones. and why i dont want a razor.

i think im gonna try it out this week and if it sucks ill just return it.

People People
11-22-2006, 07:11 PM
a friend has it, i think its a great phone. looks very sleek and has a good feel to it.

PeaElAre
11-24-2006, 04:33 PM
It's a great phone, but worthless without the data package. If you get a Q, get the extended life battery. The phone is worthless without it.

GLASS
11-24-2006, 10:06 PM
I carry the nextel backberry, and love it, but its a bit too large. I looked into the Q and based on the price point $99!! I was going to cancel my contract and hop on, especially considering its windows based which is why I originally wanted to jump on board. I really love web on the phone, however one huge drawback is the fact that you cannot view anything on a page until everything text/images have loaded, on my blackberry it loads text first and images after meaning you can begin to read etc..before it is completed. It is so small and light, however a bit too wide for easy use, I use my phone to read full articles and even this board and the Q's scroll feature is slightly lack luster. It sounds decent, but I think when I do leave nextel a year from Dec. which I cannot wait to happen I will get the Pearl which is the new blackberry or the treo, but honestly I love blackberry incredible email and internet isnít bad... the Q though does have the fastest web speeds, but with the above mentioned drawback makes almost counterintuitive. Thats my 2 cents..:hi

Guyute
11-25-2006, 02:34 AM
Battery life on the CDMA version is crap, so you need the big battery which throws off the slim form factor.

If you're going Verizon, where it's $99 on promotion, you're required to get a data package of $79.99 a month or more in order to get that price (it's based on mail-in rebates).

What The Fuck
11-25-2006, 01:22 PM
i bought the Q a week ago, and i already have it loaded. AIM, google maps, local radar/real-time weather, and best of all...

http://www.internetnerd.org/images/punchout.jpg

at first i had temptations to return it because i really don't need this much phone (and verizon's data package is ridiculously expensive) but after a week of having it i think it's a keeper.

as for voice quality, it is loud and clear. the internal antenna works suprisingly well. i'm getting signals (albeit weak ones, but still) in places i never used to get signals with my old LG VX6000. the speakerphone is also nice and loud.

it has locked up once on me so far. being a windows product, i expect this. when trying to sync it with my pc, i plugged the cable in and the phone started vibrating and wouldn't stop. :lol

my only gripes are the navigation and the crippled version of WM5 on it for verizon customers. there is no way to easily close a program, and some things are WAY harder to get to than they should be (setting up a new e-mail account). also, the battery life is really pretty awful. get the extended battery. also, when buying a case for it, keep in mind that the extended battery juts out from the back of the phone a bit, so you'll need a case that is "extended battery compatible"

hope this helps. :)

dsera
11-25-2006, 01:24 PM
It helps me, thanks!

People People
11-25-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks for the review and great pic.

GLASS
11-25-2006, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=What The Fuck;6142085] when trying to sync it with my pc, i plugged the cable in and the phone started vibrating and wouldn't stop. :lol
QUOTE]

That is one of the best things i've heard about in a long time! :banana

Minarets
11-25-2006, 10:29 PM
i really wanted to bite on one of these when they first came out. 1. was looking for my first smartphone. 2. always had goof luck with moto phones. 3. wanted somthing small, not BB or treo sized.

the prices now are pretty good, however, i am currently with Cingular and am about to move to tmobile...basically for the HTC Dash, pictured below. my favs will cut down on my minutes...usually use about 1000, with my favs my top 5 callers will easliy knock off 400 of that. also, the Dash is currently $99 at compusa and a few other places. its smaller then the Q and feels way better, imo in your hand. the back is this rubberized feel that provides a great grip. it too is WM5 and the screen is great. 1.3 camera (couldnt care less though...i dont need a phone for a camera)

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2006/11/T-Mobile-Dash-468.jpg
http://www.mobileburn.com/media/t-mobile/dash/t-mobile_dash-IMG_0259.jpg

http://www.ubergizmo.com/photos/2006/11/T-Mobile-Dash-1.jpg

Feathered
11-26-2006, 12:28 PM
i had the Q and didnt like it. the interface was really slow, even after i tried to do some registry changes to speed it up. i ended up returning it for the VX9800 and i ADORE it.

lude
11-27-2006, 12:09 AM
... The V3 is such a POS I can't believe it...
<sorry /rant>
:upyours:upyours

Adrian
11-27-2006, 12:22 AM
i hate the phone, my uncle has it and loves it...says the email sucks from Verizon but works well on everything else he needs it for

raven
11-27-2006, 02:18 PM
my roommate has it and likes it alot. he had a treo and replaced it with the q.

Wescoast
11-27-2006, 05:06 PM
wow great feedback. i may go check out the dash later today.

Wescoast
11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
after lots of research, your help and weighing tmobile and verizon...

i decided on the dash. so far it rocks. built in wifi is sooooo sexy.

Minarets
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
after lots of research, your help and weighing tmobile and verizon...

i decided on the dash. so far it rocks. built in wifi is sooooo sexy.

awsome! how do you like it? review!!
i am picking up one this month. glad you like it.....its a better phone then the Q, imo. and its suprisingly small. pics dont do it justice ...when i saw pics i had in my mind what ot would look like up close...when i got to the store...it was tinyand feels great in the hand. the rubber backing is great

Wescoast
12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
ill give a nice review in a couple of days. i have yet to set up my email or cancel my verizon account. just starting to get to know the phone. after the weekend when i spend some serious time on it i will certainly let ya know.

no question its a better phone than the q.

Minarets
12-01-2006, 02:30 PM
ill give a nice review in a couple of days. i have yet to set up my email or cancel my verizon account. just starting to get to know the phone. after the weekend when i spend some serious time on it i will certainly let ya know.

no question its a better phone than the q.

good. glad you like it.

Fink
12-03-2006, 01:43 AM
No, but i'm getting this bad boy for christmas

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/cingular-8125.jpg

Anybody ever dealt with this, or the 8525?

Minarets
12-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Westcoast....now you need a slingbox for the Dash!

that is pretty much my christmas from my wife....a new Dash and Sling Mobile..

Minarets
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
REVIEW! REVIEW!

i am actually about to order mine on Monday, i beleive...

Wescoast
12-07-2006, 11:24 AM
k. ill give you a quick one. still working some things out, as just yesterday i had a number of calls that got kicked off right away and at one point last night i couldnt make any outbound calls. i think its fine, but we will see.

other than that its been great. the feel is very good. with the soft back and its smaller size it really feels very natural. the sound is good. it is a touch pad on the side for volume control and it was really sensitive at first, but with just a quick adjustment to the settings it is now working fine. ive asked a number of people if they can hear me well, and they said yes. there is no intrusive background noise like on the treos and stuff.
the internet is surprisingly (imo) quick. easy to connect and use. ive tried wifi and just the basic edge. both work quite well and im impressed by the speed with which it loads. the camera takes very clean pictures. camera were an after thought that ididnt even take into consideration. but now that i have one a phone, i am pleased with the clarity and quality of the photos. some camera phones really have poor quality. it also takes nice clean video as well.
tmobile is so much better than verizon, so im pleased with that. this my faves program is really great. better than verizon-verizon, as the top 3 people i am talking with all use different carriers.
battery life seems good. i think if you use the phone a lot you are going to have to charge it every day or two, but that is simple enough. i havent had any issues during the day yet, and i make a number of calls throughout.

let me know if you have any other questions. i give it a solid grade, smartphones are so much better than the old generic flip phone i had. my only slight concern is the number of calls that didnt go through yesterday. i dont know if it was just where i was at the time or what though.

Minarets
12-07-2006, 02:58 PM
k. ill give you a quick one. still working some things out, as just yesterday i had a number of calls that got kicked off right away and at one point last night i couldnt make any outbound calls. i think its fine, but we will see.

other than that its been great. the feel is very good. with the soft back and its smaller size it really feels very natural. the sound is good. it is a touch pad on the side for volume control and it was really sensitive at first, but with just a quick adjustment to the settings it is now working fine. ive asked a number of people if they can hear me well, and they said yes. there is no intrusive background noise like on the treos and stuff.
the internet is surprisingly (imo) quick. easy to connect and use. ive tried wifi and just the basic edge. both work quite well and im impressed by the speed with which it loads. the camera takes very clean pictures. camera were an after thought that ididnt even take into consideration. but now that i have one a phone, i am pleased with the clarity and quality of the photos. some camera phones really have poor quality. it also takes nice clean video as well.
tmobile is so much better than verizon, so im pleased with that. this my faves program is really great. better than verizon-verizon, as the top 3 people i am talking with all use different carriers.
battery life seems good. i think if you use the phone a lot you are going to have to charge it every day or two, but that is simple enough. i havent had any issues during the day yet, and i make a number of calls throughout.

let me know if you have any other questions. i give it a solid grade, smartphones are so much better than the old generic flip phone i had. my only slight concern is the number of calls that didnt go through yesterday. i dont know if it was just where i was at the time or what though.

what tmobile data plan are you using? i assume the $29.99 since you mentioned wifi....you can use the blackberry plan and you get everything minus the wifi and it is 19.99....even the 5.99 tzones works well according to some users....that is with an adjustment to the settings. glad you like it...i am ording one Monday.

i really suggest http://howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=324

there are so many great users tricks and a great FAQ...this will be my first smartphone, so i am lacking in the "how to's" with smartphones....this has been amazingly helpful. glad you like it.:banana

Wescoast
12-07-2006, 07:46 PM
nice, ill look through that more when i have some time. thanks.

ya, youll dig the phone.

Minarets
12-09-2006, 08:53 PM
just got my dash. love it

SurferX
12-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, do either the Q or the Dash have push e-mail, or is it Outlook based?

I'm considering getting one too (I have to have one for work) and need to know...Otherwise, I'm getting a Blackberry...

Minarets
12-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, do either the Q or the Dash have push e-mail, or is it Outlook based?

I'm considering getting one too (I have to have one for work) and need to know...Otherwise, I'm getting a Blackberry...

the DASH does have push. no clue about the Q

Jack
12-11-2006, 12:57 PM
i totally agree. its what makes me sensitive about going for some of the other similar phones. and why i dont want a razor.

i think im gonna try it out this week and if it sucks ill just return it.

I just got a treo 700w over the weekend and I love it. It cost $150 after all the rebates and my $100 new every two discount. Sounds great too.

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 01:08 PM
I just got a treo 700w over the weekend and I love it. It cost $150 after all the rebates and my $100 new every two discount. Sounds great too.

thats a good deal. my old partner at work and my best friend each have a treo... not a new one now, probably 6 months to a year old. and i tell ya, i never hear a word they say. i can hear everything going on around them, but they are very distant. and on a few different occasions ive gotten calls from them when they didnt call me. it was just noise for a few minutes, but i wasnt sure if they were trying to call me or not because it sounded like when they do call! haha.

that was my concern. but i have heard good things about the newer treos. all these smartphones and stuff are so much fun. cant really go wrong with any.

Jack
12-11-2006, 01:13 PM
thats a good deal. my old partner at work and my best friend each have a treo... not a new one now, probably 6 months to a year old. and i tell ya, i never hear a word they say. i can hear everything going on around them, but they are very distant. and on a few different occasions ive gotten calls from them when they didnt call me. it was just noise for a few minutes, but i wasnt sure if they were trying to call me or not because it sounded like when they do call! haha.

that was my concern. but i have heard good things about the newer treos. all these smartphones and stuff are so much fun. cant really go wrong with any.

hmm, almost sounds like they have the speakerphone on and don't realize it. :lol That would be a pain, but they seemed to have solved that problem.

Yea, these things are life changing. I can understand the crackberry problem.

I don't know if you saw it, but I added a post to your question about the sdtv problem you friends are having. It should help.

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
right on. thanks ill check it out.

Wescoast
12-11-2006, 05:12 PM
in the last few days i have had a LOT of calls drop on my dash. its starting to become a bother.

Minarets
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
in the last few days i have had a LOT of calls drop on my dash. its starting to become a bother.

really?
i have had none. take it back. complain...get a new one. if it doesnt work, move on, but i would try somthin a new one before somthin else...

most on howardforums think this is their best smartphone to date and have owned em all

Wescoast
12-12-2006, 01:21 PM
oh im not going to switch. its just cutting out in a lot of places. its happened at home, at the mall, when i was at lunch. a bit of a bother because i spend a lot of time on the phone everyday. the only real strange thing is that it isnt due to service restrictions, i always have a lot of bars. it just fucks up.

but i do really like it. i may take it back if i continue to have problems.

Minarets
12-16-2006, 10:19 PM
Westcoast, not sure about you, but i am loooooooving my Dash. i have installed about 6 apps. bought a micro SD 1 GB and the phone has been great.

i highy reccomend reading up at howardforums.

by far the best phone i have owned. no call problems. great great great sound quality. reception has been as good as mine with Cingular

watchtower23
12-17-2006, 07:13 PM
where did you get tysons punch out on the Q?

What The Fuck
12-17-2006, 09:39 PM
for those of you with smartphones, i highly recommend this service:

http://www.orb.com/

there, you can connect your mp3 directory (albums, singles, whatever... your entire drive if you want) and have it accessible to your mobile phone for live streaming over the web whenever you want.

best of all, though: if you get a tv tuner card (approx $80 off of newegg) you can hook it up to your computer, and stream live tv to your phone using orb, all for free (minus the cost of the tuner)

you'll need a faster pc to send out a steady stream (2+ ghz) otherwise it buffers pretty often. but for almost free, you're making great use of those data kilobytes and that expensive cable service :upyours

Minarets
12-18-2006, 03:29 PM
personally, slixbox is a better option for me. orb is streaming and has issues with streaming.

slingmobile, basically you go to best buy and but the adapter. hook it up to your tv. dl the software to your phone and you have live TV to your phone. not streaming. realtime tv. if you have a TIVO, you can set it from your phone. you can use yoru viewing guide every cable compnay offers nowadays. anything you can do from your home on your tv, you can do from your phone. again, not streaming.

the pic quality is very good as well. if you are a big tv buff and dont want to miss out...there is no monthly fees. just the adapter cost.

i am getting one for xmas.

What The Fuck
12-18-2006, 06:32 PM
dl the software to your phone and you have live TV to your phone. not streaming. realtime tv.

of course it is streaming. anything that is not streaming is coming directly from a hardware interface . with a mobile phone, [i]everything is streaming. there will be buffer delays with a slingbox just like there is with orb. regardless of whether you use orb or a slingbox, streaming video depends on network traffic/congestion, period.

sling has a great piece of hardware, but it's essentially an amped up tv tuner card with software already in it that does what orb does.

personally i'm not a hardcore enough tv watcher to spend $180. orb is enough for me... nifty, free, and works great on the EVDO network.

CheesePuff
12-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah I was going to get the Q but the interface/use of the phone was SLOW!

GreyStHokie
12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
has anyone gotten/used the new BlackJack? looks interesting

Minarets
12-19-2006, 08:16 PM
has anyone gotten/used the new BlackJack? looks interesting

i used the working model in the store. i think Coop from ufck was going to get one. i like it, just not enough. i actually prefered the Treo 680 of the Cingular smartphones....mainly cause of touchscreen. the blackjack looks nice and feels solid in hand. i have heard the standard" battery" issues. samsung actually gives you two in the box...to me thats a sign. i need my phone to at least make it through a day.

my dash has great batter life for a thin phone and if you read reviews at cnet, howardforums, or phonescoop, you will pretty much see one of the strongest point of the Dash is its battery life.

pretty much the Blackjack vs the Dash come s down to

BJ pros:
3G
great screen
solid feel
good scroll

Dash Pros:
great battery
good feel
great screen
Wifi

the Wifi and great battery life and the feel of the dash, plus Tmobile's much cheaper data plans ($20 less a month for unlimited data) pretty much sold me.
anyway, back to the BJ. solid phone, no doubt. i doubt you would be dissapointed. if you were, it would be linked to the battery life...the rest of the phone is great

GreyStHokie
12-19-2006, 08:37 PM
i used the working model in the store. i think Coop from ufck was going to get one. i like it, just not enough. i actually prefered the Treo 680 of the Cingular smartphones....mainly cause of touchscreen. the blackjack looks nice and feels solid in hand. i have heard the standard" battery" issues. samsung actually gives you two in the box...to me thats a sign. i need my phone to at least make it through a day.

my dash has great batter life for a thin phone and if you read reviews at cnet, howardforums, or phonescoop, you will pretty much see one of the strongest point of the Dash is its battery life.

pretty much the Blackjack vs the Dash come s down to

BJ pros:
3G
great screen
solid feel
good scroll

Dash Pros:
great battery
good feel
great screen
Wifi

the Wifi and great battery life and the feel of the dash, plus Tmobile's much cheaper data plans ($20 less a month for unlimited data) pretty much sold me.
anyway, back to the BJ. solid phone, no doubt. i doubt you would be dissapointed. if you were, it would be linked to the battery life...the rest of the phone is great
wow..thanks for the in depth there

Minarets
12-19-2006, 09:25 PM
np :)

Minarets
01-01-2007, 12:27 AM
Weatcoast....any more problems?

mine has been great so far

GLASS
01-02-2007, 01:09 AM
i got the new blackberry pearl, its sweeeeet :banana