PDA

View Full Version : The Last Stop (1999 Full Band)

mynameisdon
11-25-2006, 12:46 AM
I can honestly say I've never heard one...Could anyone up one for me? Were they any good? It's not talked about here at all that I've seen. Thanks.

jsandr
11-25-2006, 02:02 AM
i got at VA beach in 99. it really wasn't all that memorable. i mean, no flubs or anything, but it definitely was lacking. roi pretty much laid off it which was disappointing.

definitely ranks at the bottom of last stops... i cant speak for other versions from 99 though...

jsandr
11-25-2006, 02:02 AM
i cant up it either, dont have the cd with me

TheSniper26
11-25-2006, 02:27 AM
I've been a fan since 96 and after 10 years of following the band's touring first hand, I would rank 99 somewhere near the bottom. Maybe not the worst(01 & 05, though overblown, are bad), but still not too good. '99 is kind of the polar opposite of 05 in my opinion(or perhaps the second half of 06) in that, a good setlist couldn't save the fact that they were mailing in the actual performance it seemed. As opposed to 05 where energy couldn't save poor song choices. Either way, it makes for a rough tour. I don't think you're missing out on much to be honest.

edit - My feelings about 99 are directed to full band performances. Obviously 99 had D&T which is always a blessing.

cmitch525
11-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I've been a fan since 96 and after 10 years of following the band's touring first hand, I would rank 99 somewhere near the bottom. Maybe not the worst(01 & 05, though overblown, are bad), but still not too good. '99 is kind of the polar opposite of 05 in my opinion(or perhaps the second half of 06) in that, a good setlist couldn't save the fact that they were mailing in the actual performance it seemed. As opposed to 05 where energy couldn't save poor song choices. Either way, it makes for a rough tour. I don't think you're missing out on much to be honest.

edit - My feelings about 99 are directed to full band performances. Obviously 99 had D&T which is always a blessing.

I completely agree with this I really like the 99 setlists but, the performances really seemed to like they were going through the motions

cmitch525
11-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Although Pig from 99 was nice!

bidroc
11-25-2006, 01:53 PM
I completely agree with this I really like the 99 setlists but, the performances really seemed to like they were going through the motions

Its funny how I can remember a lot of fans on boards saying 05 was the best tour since 2000. Now thats all changed after 2006 Leg 1, which probably puts 05 in the 01/99 club.

dsera
11-25-2006, 02:01 PM
Its funny how I can remember a lot of fans on boards saying 05 was the best tour since 2000. Now thats all changed after 2006 Leg 1, which probably puts 05 in the 01/99 club.
I don't remember anyone here ever saying 05 was the best tour since 2000. That's just ludicrous.

bsan83
11-25-2006, 02:03 PM

You weren't on any board I looked at then.

kaisek
11-25-2006, 02:27 PM

Never happened... unless you were on nancies perhaps.

dsera
11-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Never happened... unless you were on nancies perhaps.
he's from Ants, I believe.

paratroopin
11-25-2006, 02:47 PM
Alpine Last Stop is pretty solid - a long jam between the end of the outro jam and the reprise lyrics - very smooth. Boyd is a little off, but it is what is it is. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 02:53 PM
I don't remember anyone here ever saying 05 was the best tour since 2000. That's just ludicrous.

But IMO, it's as ludacris as saying that it ranks down with 99/2001.

bsan83
11-25-2006, 05:17 PM
But IMO, it's as ludacris as saying that it ranks down with 99/2001.

It's not ludicrous at all. The encores sucked, the Dream Girl/Hunger openers were awful, and the sets were full of on average like 10 Stand Up songs/night.

JorgeCavos
11-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Yeah, '05 was flat out awful, and as proof, i'll do what I do anytime someone challenges that- i whip out the Hershey '05 setlist:

Dave Matthews Band
June 25, 2005
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA

#34 (Tease)
Hunger for the Great Light
Dreamgirl
Hello Again
Granny
Crash Into Me
Bartender
American Baby
When the World Ends
Louisiana Bayou
Lover Lay Down
Smooth Rider
Stand Up
Dancing Nancies
Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd
Tripping Billies

Encore:
You Might Die Trying
What You Are

That show is a flat out kick to the balls (or uppercunt for the females), to every fan

bsan83
11-25-2006, 05:42 PM
Trotting out the worst or best set of a given tour is a pretty bad way to base an argument. I can make the Everyday tour look decent by trotting out the Nashville show as my example, and I can make Winter 98 look like a pretty standard album support tour by trotting out one of the post-BFFT shows.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:04 PM
It's not ludicrous at all. The encores sucked, the Dream Girl/Hunger openers were awful, and the sets were full of on average like 10 Stand Up songs/night.
Comparing the tour to '99 might hold some weight, but...
'99 had only small pockets of energy. The entire band was tired, Dave's voice had problems, and the ladies were there.

'01 didn't have a ton of energy, the ladies were there of course, and the set lists just plain sucked. The band was not tight.

Whereas '05 had a lot of shitty setlists, but it did not have the ladies nor was the energy lacking. Furthermore, the band was extremely tight in '05.

All in all, I'd definitely prefer an '05 show over most '01 shows and some '99 shows.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 07:20 PM
The Last Stop (June 22, 1999 - Deer Creek)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vjqx2

This version was particularly nasty as the pick up on Dave's guitar broke before the song leading to like 4 minutes of dead air (unlike the normal 3 between songs in 1999). When he tries the 2nd one, it doesn't work and he slams the guitar into the stand before they finally get it right. He takes out some emotion on the song. Stefan is really loud on this source which isn't a bad thing during the jam. Boyd is near attrocious per norm.

BeQuietAndDrive
11-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Comparing the tour to '99 might hold some weight, but...
'99 had only small pockets of energy. The entire band was tired, Dave's voice had problems, and the ladies were there.

'01 didn't have a ton of energy, the ladies were there of course, and the set lists just plain sucked. The band was not tight.

Whereas '05 had a lot of shitty setlists, but it did not have the ladies nor was the energy lacking. Furthermore, the band was extremely tight in '05.

All in all, I'd definitely prefer an '05 show over most '01 shows and some '99 shows.

This is an interesting opinion coming from you. Didn't expect it.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 07:31 PM
It was a well thought out post, but not entirely correct. His voice only had problems in 99 when he was really sick and singing with a broken rib in mid 99 at Tinley. Otherwise his voice was in good shape all tour. There was never a stretch of even 3 or 4 shows where it was weak. The ladies were there for a total of 11 shows, only the stadiums which had other killer guests and setlists, and Hartford which had great setlists. Out of like 65 dates. That's negligible.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:36 PM
It was a well thought out post, but not entirely correct. His voice only had problems in 99 when he was really sick and singing with a broken rib in mid 99 at Tinley. Otherwise his voice was in good shape all tour. There was never a stretch of even 3 or 4 shows where it was weak. The ladies were there for a total of 11 shows, only the stadiums which had other killer guests and setlists, and Hartford which had great setlists. Out of like 65 dates. That's negligible.

While I disagree on the point of 11 out of 65 shows with the ladies being negligible, yeah the voice argument is weak. Like I said, comparing '05 to '99 has some weight, but in my opinion, there are some things that set them apart and give '05 the edge.

bsan83
11-25-2006, 07:37 PM
While I disagree on the point of 11 out of 65 shows with the ladies being negligible, yeah the voice argument is weak. Like I said, comparing '05 to '99 has some weight, but in my opinion, there are some things that set them apart and give '05 the edge.

I don't agree, but it's not something that's cut and dry, and I think you can make a valid argument either way.

Boyd was fucking horrendous in '99. Thinking about the Gorge shows makes me cringe.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:37 PM
This is an interesting opinion coming from you. Didn't expect it.

thanks?

bsan83
11-25-2006, 07:39 PM
The ladies were only used in '99 too on Long Black Veil, Stay, John the Revelator (none of which they stand out like a sore thumb on), and only #36 really suffers from their use.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 07:41 PM
While I disagree on the point of 11 out of 65 shows with the ladies being negligible, yeah the voice argument is weak.

The thing is, I don't know your history of fandom. But me, I was as big a fan in 1999 as I am now. When the ladies were at these shows, they sang like 3 songs at special shows, and they were special. But in 01, we had to deal with every show, and they crowbarred themselves into songs. They even had just one of them sing 1 part of a 3 part harmony at a show the other 2 weren't at. They were that much of a crutch. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who was a fan in 1999 that had a problem with them then, and still has a problem with those shows because of them. When they started doing Granny in 1999 it was tits. Actually that one never got bad.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:42 PM
The ladies were only used in '99 too on Long Black Veil, Stay, John the Revelator (none of which they stand out like a sore thumb on), and only #36 really suffers from their use.

You're forgetting Granny and the few times they played love of my life. Also, every song suffers from their use.

dsera
11-25-2006, 07:43 PM
You're forgetting Granny and the few times they played love of my life. Also, every song suffers from their use.I have to agree with this one.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:44 PM
The thing is, I don't know your history of fandom. But me, I was as big a fan in 1999 as I am now. When the ladies were at these shows, they sang like 3 songs at special shows, and they were special. But in 01, we had to deal with every show, and they crowbarred themselves into songs. They even had just one of them sing 1 part of a 3 part harmony at a show the other 2 weren't at. They were that much of a crutch. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone who was a fan in 1999 that had a problem with them then, and still has a problem with those shows because of them. When they started doing Granny in 1999 it was tits. Actually that one never got bad.

I was a fan well before '99. The ladies have always bothered me. I guess that's my personal bias.

If the ladies decided to roll into even a single show in 2007 this board would explode.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 07:44 PM
#36 1
Granny 6
John the Revelator 3
The Long Black Veil 9
Love of My Life 3
Stay (Wasting Time) 11
True Reflections 8

that's it. You can't dog a whole tour for that. Especially in the longest tour in the history of the band. The 3 JTRs and Love of My Lifes, they did basically nothing.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:51 PM
#36 1
Granny 6
John the Revelator 3
The Long Black Veil 9
Love of My Life 3
Stay (Wasting Time) 11
True Reflections 8

that's it. You can't dog a whole tour for that. Especially in the longest tour in the history of the band. The 3 JTRs and Love of My Lifes, they did basically nothing.

I think it's a valid point to bring up when comparing it to a non-ladies tour. I still think the 40 songs they appeared on that tour are pretty significant. I mean, that's more than ODH was played, WYA closed, or Dreamgirl opened in '05, but singularly, I think those things all contribute to the lameness of the tour.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Well we can agree to disagree, but the last thing I'll say to your statement, is that if a tour was 40 shows long, and they sang 1 song every night, I would tend to agree with you. but in a 65 show tour, where they guest on 8 in the middle and 3 at the end, it's really a disservice to knock 54 shows in which they don't appear. That irks me about all this hardcore know all the ins and outs group of fans.

Take WH5 v2 for example. There is 1 song on there that obviously didn't place in the top 5 voting they did (and they never said they were taking the top 5), but the other 4 songs very easily could've been 1 - 4 in voting, and 2 of those versions are hands down the greatest versions ever performed of the song in question. But 3:34 minutes on there makes everything think the voting was 100% bullshit and it's sorry released that they should be embarrassed about.

I don't get it.

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Well we can agree to disagree, but the last thing I'll say to your statement, is that if a tour was 40 shows long, and they sang 1 song every night, I would tend to agree with you. but in a 65 show tour, where they guest on 8 in the middle and 3 at the end, it's really a disservice to knock 54 shows in which they don't appear. That irks me about all this hardcore know all the ins and outs group of fans.

Take WH5 v2 for example. There is 1 song on there that obviously didn't place in the top 5 voting they did (and they never said they were taking the top 5), but the other 4 songs very easily could've been 1 - 4 in voting, and 2 of those versions are hands down the greatest versions ever performed of the song in question. But 3:34 minutes on there makes everything think the voting was 100% bullshit and it's sorry released that they should be embarrassed about.

I don't get it.
But, I wasn't really knocking the tour for having the laides... I was just using it as a point in comparing '99 to '05. I don't go around saying that I hate '99 because the ladies appeared on 40 songs at 11 shows, no no. But in comparing it to another tour, it certainly should be mentioned.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 08:04 PM
fair enough. But I'll bet you if I picked the 10 best shows IMO from 1999, 5.26.1999 would be the runaway winner. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think I am though. You certainly wouldn't vote for it, but I think you probably have the strongest "anti" opinion on the issue (note - for that tour only).

Oh and Jesus I almost forgot. Everyone splooges on the 2000 tour, but they were 62 songs at 52 shows. What's your opinion on that?

Tambourine Man
11-25-2006, 08:06 PM
fair enough. But I'll bet you if I picked the 10 best shows IMO from 1999, 5.26.1999 would be the runaway winner. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think I am though. You certainly wouldn't vote for it, but I think you probably have the strongest "anti" opinion on the issue (note - for that tour only).

Oh and Jesus I almost forgot. Everyone splooges on the 2000 tour, but they were 62 songs at 52 shows. What's your opinion on that?

Good tour, but obviously they detract from it. However, they do not at all ruin the tour. The playing in 2000 more than makes up for them being there.

celluloid hero
11-25-2006, 08:10 PM
Interesting. Boyd was unbearable the first half of the tour and every song was 20 beats slower. To each his own. good talk.

duane26
11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah, '05 was flat out awful, and as proof, i'll do what I do anytime someone challenges that- i whip out the Hershey '05 setlist:

Dave Matthews Band
June 25, 2005
Hershey Park Stadium, Hershey, PA

#34 (Tease)
Hunger for the Great Light
Dreamgirl
Hello Again
Granny
Crash Into Me
Bartender
American Baby
When the World Ends
Louisiana Bayou
Lover Lay Down
Smooth Rider
Stand Up
Dancing Nancies
Stolen Away on 55th and 3rd
Tripping Billies

Encore:
You Might Die Trying
What You Are

That show is a flat out kick to the balls (or uppercunt for the females), to every fan

LMFAO!

bidroc
11-26-2006, 01:50 AM
Yes most of the ballwashing about 2005 tour was when Say Goodbye and #34 were played and it was coming from mainly Ants. (Article on the first page of Ants, saying it was best since 2000....) But by the end of the tour most of the boards were saying the tour basically sucked except for Red Rocks. I dont agree with the best since 2000 at all.

Just to clear that up with all you folks, not that I really care.

mynameisdon
11-26-2006, 11:41 AM
The Last Stop (June 22, 1999 - Deer Creek)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0vjqx2

This version was particularly nasty as the pick up on Dave's guitar broke before the song leading to like 4 minutes of dead air (unlike the normal 3 between songs in 1999). When he tries the 2nd one, it doesn't work and he slams the guitar into the stand before they finally get it right. He takes out some emotion on the song. Stefan is really loud on this source which isn't a bad thing during the jam. Boyd is near attrocious per norm.

thank you sir