PDA

View Full Version : "One Sweet World" - cover band

snidelywhiplash
11-25-2006, 10:19 AM
From another board:

They are coming pretty close to me in the beginning of February. Worth checking out? From the audio clips I've heard they sound pretty good.

My response:

YES - go see them.....they play in WMass alot, and we've seen them 15 times or so.....friends of ours now. They are very humble, talented musicians (not obsessed w/ DMB, or obsessed with being "cool" ), and most of them have other musical things going on. They've started to get a bit more serious and hired a booking agent. They just learned some new stuff, and play some rarities when asked (SUAD, JTR, Minarets, Idea of You, Break Free, Bayou, Sister, ABIntro...)

They don't try to mimic DMB, and can really bring some interesting jams to the table. Dean on sax is very very talented in that regard. Ian on bass is great, Joe on fiddle WON'T show his pubes (he's a bluegrass guy at heart as well), Chris handles drums real well, and Anthony plays guitar very well (you'll get a Stream now and again), and has the vocals down pretty nicely.

Their Warehouse can smoke, Jimi is always very much their own with regard to jams, LIOG is another nice jam, The Stone will likely have a "wise men.." outro, and they occisionally do a 2 Step variation that is great.

Here's a link:
http://www.onesweetworld.net/

Hope you enjoy their show if you go, and be sure to tell them that Scott & Cathy from MA told you you should go see them - they are all really nice guys and are very easy to talk to.....

And:

So - If you are a fan of good music, appreciate good musicians, enjoy dancing, like clubs or bars, enjoy DMB, and DON'T mind tribute bands as a general rule, then:

GO SEE OSW.....you will likely enjoy it, won't spend much money on a ticket (maybe a small cover charge), may meet some other cool DMB fans, and may just find a nice little "music fix" that you will want to check out every once in a while.

That's what happened to us - and we keep going to see OSW when we can. They've been really into my sharing recordings and lyrics of the new stuff - and have actually put some things together based on my input...(like the flute on ABI).

No, they ARE NOT DMB, and don't try to be. They are not "cashing in" on DMB, believe me. These guys all have jobs, and do this for fun and a little pocket change.

I really think that if you go see them, you'll see them as "regular guys" like I do.....and after all, isn't that some of what we love(d) about the "real" DMB????

So go see them, give them some feedback, and share the experience with some friends......like 'em or hate 'em, at least you'll not have invested too much time or money.

Peace,
Scott

Mersh
11-25-2006, 11:25 AM
So you work for them or...

Honestly though, I've come across these guys a couple times at local bars/clubs. They are decent. They don't try to be DMB and they play well enough. I'm not a big cover band guy and I wouldn't make a special outing to see them, but whenever they have been somewhere that I have gone it was good.

Per553
11-25-2006, 12:11 PM
"bayou," a rarity?

Mersh
11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
"bayou," a rarity?

the sentence says new stuff and rarities.

Per553
11-25-2006, 12:19 PM
the sentence says new stuff and rarities.

genius. saturday mornings are always rough. and it's phrased kinda deceptively, where the parentheses are placed imply it will list the rare stuff because the comma closes off the previous clause.

Mersh
11-25-2006, 12:21 PM
genius. saturday mornings are always rough. and it's phrased kinda deceptively, where the parentheses are placed imply it will list the rare stuff because the comma closes off the previous clause.

agreed, but I tend to forget the rules of grammar when reading the boards.

Dheibs
11-25-2006, 02:34 PM
i hate when people like that guy try to sing and dance like they are dave. watch the warehouse jam on their website. its hilarious

BeQuietAndDrive
11-25-2006, 02:57 PM
That JTR is pretty impressive.

Per553
11-25-2006, 03:19 PM
i hate when people like that guy try to sing and dance like they are dave. watch the warehouse jam on their website. its hilarious

:lol. agreed, i like the whole bump and sway choreography the wind section has got going on. this is like dmb on crack. and also in the smts-->too much vid, the leroi guy is waaaaaaay too happy.

jsandr
11-26-2006, 02:20 AM
what's more embarrassing? dmb writing and performing Hunger? or a dmb coverband covering hunger?

i can't decide.

Phan
11-26-2006, 05:15 AM
cover bands fucking suck

period

Mersh
11-26-2006, 08:56 AM

I'm surprised that he did because as I said I've some across these guys 4-5 times and I noticed that he didn't try to do those things.

Nova Scotia
11-26-2006, 09:21 AM
I'm surprised that he did because as I said I've some across these guys 4-5 times and I noticed that he didn't try to do those things.
people do funny things on camera. just watch maury povich or cops.