PDA

View Full Version : JUST STOP TOURING !!

Smittay
11-26-2006, 06:02 PM
and start writing decent stuff!!

seriously, you guys don't know when to stop... can i get an amen??

i mean, if i were your guys families and you were on tour this much, i just might kill myself... honesetly, do it for your kids, yourself and your career... we don't care if you take a break... honestly, we'd welcome it.

can i get an amen again??

smitt

Ledge
11-26-2006, 06:06 PM
AMEN

again

whiteysax
11-26-2006, 06:07 PM
I dont' think they should stop touring completely... but to take a break, sure. Its great to see they're playing Vegas again. I'm glad the fans in Australia and Europe will finally get some shows to go see. But I'd have no objection to no shows this winter (barring a few local solo or D&T) performances while writing in the studio, then an abbreviated summer tour... maybe 30 shows instead of near-60.

The Great Inventor
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
I definitely agree.
Dave also needs to have more kids, because his little piece of shit twins haven't given us crap besides Butterfly, Baby, and Idea of You.

kaisek
11-26-2006, 06:09 PM
they do need a damn break.... they need to refresh themselves.

pgr17
11-26-2006, 06:13 PM
will any fans take a break from seeing them on tour this year?

what are you people are basing your "the band needs a break to be refreshed" argument on? don't you think if the band feels they need a break - or are away from their family too much or whatever - they actually would?

but most people will probably get their wish after the last studio album on is released on the RCA label. they'll probably tour to support that and then take some time off ('08) or at least some time away.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:14 PM
will any fans take a break from seeing them on tour this year?

what are you people are basing your "the band needs a break to be refreshed" argument on? don't you think if the band feels they need a break - or are away from their family too much or whatever - they actually would?

but most people will probably get their wish after the last studio album on is released on the RCA label. they'll probably tour to support that and then take some time off ('08) or at least some time away.

People are saying don't tour for a year and really work on material, it isn't really about being re-energized IMO.

pgr17
11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
People are saying don't tour for a year and really work on material, it isn't really about being re-energized IMO.

well i read the point of taking a break and working on material to also include refreshing themselves (since it has already been mentioned in this thread) to be intertwined. either way, i don't know why people don't wait to hear the new material for already pre-judging that it won't be good since they haven't had that much time off.

touring/making music is the band's job - maybe taking a break to think of darker material to write isn't something they enjoy doing?

i honestly don't see how taking time off will do anytihng to make them write better material. there have been numerous comments throughout the '06 tour of how they are writing during the tour.

i don't know... i feel in the minority a lot around here lately with the views of a lot of postings towards the band.

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:18 PM
dave has said time and time again...touring is what we know,its what we do,its what made us who we are today. if they want to play 200 dates a year,so what. sooner or later people are going to have to give in to the fact that the boys will do what they want, and write what they want...you dont like it,stop buying albums and going to shows. so much madness and for what? the sake of the argument ?

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:19 PM
dave has said time and time again...touring is what we know,its what we do,its what made us who we are today. if they want to play 200 dates a year,so what. sooner or later people are going to have to give in to the fact that the boys will do what they want, and write what they want...you dont like it,stop buying albums and going to shows. so much madness and for what? the sake of the argument ?

Madness?

Its just a discussion man.

nogerorob
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Ya. No need to get all strung out. Go or don't go.

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Madness?

Its just a discussion man.
i understand. just alot of they should do this ,they should do that, going around. nothing new i guess. just giving my 2 cents. no anger,just a thought.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:22 PM
well i read the point of taking a break and working on material to also include refreshing themselves (since it has already been mentioned in this thread) to be intertwined. either way, i don't know why people don't wait to hear the new material for already pre-judging that it won't be good since they haven't had that much time off.

touring/making music is the band's job - maybe taking a break to think of darker material to write isn't something they enjoy doing?

i honestly don't see how taking time off will do anytihng to make them write better material. there have been numerous comments throughout the '06 tour of how they are writing during the tour.

i don't know... i feel in the minority a lot around here lately with the views of a lot of postings towards the band.

I don't know where the darker material thing is coming from.

Obviously the next album will tell the story, but I don't think people are being outlandish or crazy negative by suggesting that maybe spending a good deal of time developing and shaping material in lieu on touring isn't a bad thing.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:23 PM
i understand. jusy alot of they should do this ,they should do that, going around. nothing new i guess. just giving my 2 cents. no anger,just a thought.

Yeah, that is what we do though. Obviously none of it matters because it isn't like they do anything that is ever discussed on the boards.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:24 PM
Just as long as this place doesn't slip into "find a new band and stop going" any time something is examined critcally here. Things have been fairly decent thus far.

The Great Inventor
11-26-2006, 06:26 PM
Yeah, that is what we do though. Obviously none of it matters because it isn't like they do anything that is ever discussed on the boards.

I don't know, man. I bitched for Proudest Monkey for a long time.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't know, man. I bitched for Proudest Monkey for a long time.

Yeah, but you're different...

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I definitely agree.
Dave also needs to have more kids, because his little piece of shit twins haven't given us crap besides Butterfly, Baby, and Idea of You.aren't you a peach. :rolleyes

will any fans take a break from seeing them on tour this year?.I am not going to another show until summer, I don't care how many pop up. I need to replenish my bank account.

so much madness and for what? the sake of the argument ?STOP THE MADNESS! :lol

Just as long as this place doesn't slip into "find a new band and stop going" any time something is examined critcally here. Things have been fairly decent thus far.Oh it's only a matter of time, isn't it? :)

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:29 PM
Just as long as this place doesn't slip into "find a new band and stop going" any time something is examined critcally here. Things have been fairly decent thus far.

well there has been times when certain people have made it their goal in life to bash the hell out of DMB on the boards. for me that gets really old. that take on the situation only goes so far and does not spark positive thoughts. just saying sometimes it goes too far...not that it has in this situation.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:30 PM
well there has been times when certain people have made it their goal in life to bash the hell out of DMB on the boards. for me that gets really old. that take on the situation only goes so far and does not spark positive thoughts. just saying sometimes it goes too far...not that it has in this situation.

Sure, but I have yet to see that happen here.

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:31 PM
Sure, but I have yet to see that happen here.
He's just getting his replies down pat for when it does. ;)

Gary.
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
BUT OMG THEY MIGHT PLAY DREAMING TREE AND LAST STOP

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:33 PM
He's just getting his replies down pat for when it does. ;)

what a great addition to the conversation.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:34 PM

Is it just a button pushing thing?

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:34 PM
what a great addition to the conversation.
Don't get sassy with me.

pgr17
11-26-2006, 06:35 PM

you should take some time off and write some better material.

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
Don't get sassy with me.

yeah i know the routine...you say whatever you feel the need to say...but people dont dare question it. i wasnt trying to be sassy.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM

Gary, you have to admit that is funny.

Tomacco
11-26-2006, 06:38 PM

:lol :lol

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:38 PM
yeah i know the routine...you say whatever you feel the need to say...but people dont dare question it. i wasnt trying to be sassy.
:wtf Oh so now you're off the dsera bandwagon. Hope you didn't break anything when you jumped.

thestand
11-26-2006, 06:39 PM
yeah i know the routine...you say whatever you feel the need to say...but people dont dare question it. i wasnt trying to be sassy.http://www.covers.com/images/emoticons/an_popcorn.gif

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
:wtf Oh so now you're off the dsera bandwagon. Hope you didn't break anything when you jumped.

wow.just wow. im not sure i even need to respond to this. sorry you cant take a little of what you give. taking this stuff a bit serious...dont ya think. thanks for the kind words and im sorry i asked for help few times...i didnt know that would put me on the bandwagon...hell we have been shootin the shit for a few years now...back at ants. what a surprise.

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
wow.just wow. im not sure i even need to respond to this. sorry you cant take a little of what you give. taking this stuff a bit serious...dont ya think. thanks for the kind words and im sorry i asked for help few times...i didnt know that would put me on the bandwagon...hell we have been shootin the shit for a few years now...back at ants. what a surprise.
Can't take a little of what I give? What the fuck are you even talking about? You go from asking for help from me one day to acting like an ass to me now. Talk about wow.

Take this to PM, I'm done polluting this thread with personal BS.

groove merchant
11-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Can't take a little of what I give? What the fuck are you even talking about? You go from asking for help from me one day to acting like an ass to me now. Talk about wow.

yes'um.

zhess88
11-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Take a summer off, nothing more.

Mersh
11-26-2006, 06:56 PM

In all fairness I think he was just busting your balls a little when this started

dsera
11-26-2006, 06:58 PM
In all fairness I think he was just busting your balls a little when this started
Nah he wasn't but it's cool. It's being worked out like adults via PM. :D

Per553
11-26-2006, 07:01 PM
i just don't understand how it's physically possible for there to be a dave solo tour in europe, an australia tour, that mini vegas stunt and time to put out the greatest studio album to emanate since, well........stand up?

if it means taking the winter and spring off to create this magical mystical album that will please people on both ends yearning for the dark btcs dmb and the smiley uttad dmb then, by all means, see you in '08.

pgr17
11-26-2006, 07:04 PM
i just don't understand how it's physically possible for there to be a dave solo tour in europe, an australia tour, that mini vegas stunt and time to put out the greatest studio album to emanate since, well........stand up?

it isn't like all the tours are happening at the exact same time. what don't you understand?

also, they didn't do anything with the GH album - it wasn't like all the guys sat down and decided what to be on the album.

whiteysax
11-26-2006, 07:06 PM
that's why I'm broke!

http://www.covers.com/images/emoticons/an_popcorn.gif
:lol

Per553
11-26-2006, 08:33 PM
it isn't like all the tours are happening at the exact same time. what don't you understand?

also, they didn't do anything with the GH album - it wasn't like all the guys sat down and decided what to be on the album.

i realize all these events are happening in different months, yes. i was just saying, logistically, i don't see how they can work out enough time to be making a killer studio album with alot of stuff going on. but, sure, i'm probably wrong.

Smittay
11-26-2006, 08:40 PM
dude , we're just saying take a year off

not write dark material per se, just relax

i think the band i so high strung from on and on and on and on, that they just need to do it for themselves... other bands do. people just cant keep going all the time and expect to be great. everyone needs a rest.

so, i'll sit this tour out... what the hell, i did all year in 01 and was scared to go back in 02... :)

[product] red STDMBT-B07

(stop the dave matthews band tour - boycott '07)

and for every tour date you skip as a warehouse member RCA will graciously donate $10 to fight teh aids...

campaign: [product] red STDMBT-B07 begins...
join us!

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/7506/productreddmbln8.jpg

DMBFiredancer
11-26-2006, 08:47 PM
amen.

my wallet needs a break

sarge
11-26-2006, 08:48 PM
if the band plays 2 shows just like c-ville that would be funny. waiting to play the new tunes in austraila b/c they don't want to risk fucking it up in the US

dmb2much40
11-26-2006, 08:54 PM
dave's voice needs time off more than anything else. i'm all for them going overseas, but they should have waited until may/june.

Phan
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
groove merchant has by far been the worst addition to this place since the change over

Phan
11-26-2006, 09:24 PM

then go the fuck away

pgr17
11-26-2006, 09:26 PM
"go the fuck home!"

dmbradio
11-26-2006, 09:30 PM
I used to think it would be a good idea for the band to take a break, but then I just realized I needed to back off for a bit. Sometimes it's fun to take some time off and then catch back up with the tour dates, the live releases and the rumors instead of trying to digest them as quickly as they are thrown out there.

thestand
11-26-2006, 09:52 PM
"go the fuck home!"
http://godafuckhome.ytmnsfw.com/

Yes, I just searched for that, based on your post. I'm very bored :lol

nolan8or
11-26-2006, 09:53 PM
why would they stop touring and take a break when touring is what they obviously love doing seeing how that's the way they became so popular

CvillePong
11-26-2006, 09:58 PM
why would they stop touring and take a break when touring is what they obviously love doing seeing how that's the way they became so popular

Because they've done it for the past 15 years.

A summer off might shake the creative juices. It's a valid thought, and I don't think it would hurt them.

But, you also run the risk of some of the band members deciding they really like the time off much more than they do touring.

I'd like to see a short indoor fall tour. 10-15 dates, and nothing else for the year.

Coran would like to see 65 shows, going through the hottest states in the hottest months of the year. I think he gets some sick enjoyment out of it.

ethaxton
11-26-2006, 10:27 PM
I think some time off would do a lot of good for the fanbase, as far as bringing the excitement back when they return. I'm not sure if it would be a good thing for the band though considering they are getting up there in age it may he harder for them to get back in the swing of things like the person above me said.

Smittay
11-26-2006, 10:38 PM
But, you also run the risk of some of the band members deciding they really like the time off much more than they do touring.

cool. then roi can just _________________ (http://godafuckhome.ytmnsfw.com).

captainbluntmofo
11-26-2006, 10:43 PM
I love when they tour. They are still fun live and a thrill to see live. The problem is cutting songs off albums that are need to be on there and being tame with some sets. The next album needs the songs from this past tour in the worst way.

bidroc
11-27-2006, 02:17 AM
They still havent had a tour as bad as 2001, so in turn there has been no need to "bring it" like they did in Spring 2002, which hasnt been the same since. They are a happy medium now. Ross is on the roster, Randolph is a regular and new fans keep coming to the table as old ones drop off.

Nova Scotia
11-27-2006, 08:11 AM
i thought the 06 tour was fantastic. it ended with a thud, but overall it was great imo.

i don't think taking a year off translate in a good album or good writing. not sucking will cure that. they just need to suck a lot less on the next LP.

it's not the tour, it's the writing. without time and focus, the writing won't be there. it's just getting too automatic. that's why the time off is needed.

JamSession v2.0
11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I forgot Smittay did migrate here...

Smittay
11-27-2006, 01:56 PM
saying such a blanket statement like stop touring isn't a magic cure-all for shitty albums.

in this case, YES.

:bitchslap

????
11-28-2006, 11:18 PM
You have to remember DMB is almost like a small company these days. They tour with a crew of around 50 people. There are also a handful of people who work back in the home office in VA. They directly support these peoples lives on a day to day basis. I remembering reading a quote from Trey back when Phish broke up. He said the hardest thing about breaking up the band wasn't the fact that they weren't ever going to play music together again, it was the fact they were essentially laying off their crew and office staff who's lives depended on Phish touring. But besides all that, as someone already pointed out, these guys just love being out on the road playing music together. So don't expect them to take a break anytime soon. In the mean time I'm off to go sharpen my pencils and brush off my text books. You never know what you'll encounter in the spring.

Smittay
11-28-2006, 11:21 PM
You have to remember DMB is almost like a small company these days. They tour with a crew of around 50 people. There are also a handful of people who work back in the home office in VA. They directly support these peoples lives on a day to day basis. I remembering reading a quote from Trey back when Phish broke up. He said the hardest thing about breaking up the band wasn't the fact that they weren't ever going to play music together again, it was the fact they were essentially laying off their crew and office staff who's lives depended on Phish touring. But besides all that, as someone already pointed out, these guys just love being out on the road playing music together. So don't expect them to take a break anytime soon. In the mean time I'm off to go sharpen my pencils and brush off my text books. You never know what you'll encounter in the spring.

so dave roadies can be roadies for like Pink, and Fall Out Boy, or Clay AIken, plenty of biz love to share...

Nova Scotia
11-29-2006, 08:22 AM
some devil, sugar will, joyride, hello again, crazy easy, tioy shotgun we all written while touring every summer.

it's not related. what do you want to do, sit dave in a padded room by himself and tell to not think about anything but writing good songs.

saying such a blanket statement like stop touring isn't a magic cure-all for shitty albums.

you've listed 5 songs that either aren't played anymore or only in infrequent circumstances(and were written 3-4 years ago). it's time to focus on the music again and let the juices build.

SplishSplash
11-29-2006, 08:59 AM
I'd be up for no tour

simbro
11-29-2006, 09:22 AM
a year off wouldnt be the worst thing for them to do, but it just seems like once summer comes around all they want to do is tour. they could still write good music without taking the time off, they just need to take the time to do it instead of pushing out songs in a week.

Tomacco
11-29-2006, 10:06 AM
a year off wouldnt be the worst thing for them to do, but it just seems like once summer comes around all they want to do is tour. they could still write good music without taking the time off, they just need to take the time to do it instead of pushing out songs in a week.

Pretty much. They've never taken a break and have been touring constantly since they started and, well, they've certainly written a whole ton of great songs since then, without year-long breaks.

Nova Scotia
11-29-2006, 10:56 AM
Pretty much. They've never taken a break and have been touring constantly since they started and, well, they've certainly written a whole ton of great songs since then, without year-long breaks.
it's like a family with empty nest syndrome. if they aren't doing the DMB thing, then lessard is doing his designing, dave is acting, boyd is recording music for espn, and roi is putting a rope up in a tree in the woods somewhere so he can hang himself. it would be sooooo out of routine for them not to tour, they would go bonkers, which puts them back into the same cycle. i'm thinking too hard about this.

n0t a n00b
11-29-2006, 11:11 AM
i think dave is just getting writers block and doing so much stuff to try to find some influence. (i.e. all these little movie roles, touring more outside US)

mrchattr
11-29-2006, 11:41 AM
I honestly think that if they stopped touring, it would lead to worse music, not better. The biggest problem with Stand Up, in my humble opinion, is that they didn't tour behind those songs. When I first listened to the album, I was ok with it, I'm certainly not a "hater," but when I try to listen to it now, it's hard to, because even the songs that I liked on it (Bayou, Stand Up, AB Intro, etc) sound soooo much better live. They make SU seem like demos of the songs, not the complete studio versions. I think if DMB would have written the SU material, then toured, debuting the songs, a few things would have happened. I think a few songs, like ODH, which dissappeard recently, would never have made the album (I don't think this would have happened with HA, because I think they were just sick of playing it every night for so long). I think Joyride would have been on there, since they obviously haven't abandoned it. And I think the rest of the songs would have been fuller, more "worked out," and when recorded, sounded a whole lot better, especially Bayou and Dreamgirl.

Mersh
11-29-2006, 04:33 PM

I think it is open for debate whether or not they have created a ton of great songs since the 00 tour though.

dsera
11-29-2006, 04:38 PM
I think it is open for debate whether or not they have created a ton of great songs since the 00 tour though.
:upyours I'd say a ton, no but yes, they have written some great songs.

Mersh
11-29-2006, 04:48 PM
:upyours I'd say a ton, no but yes, they have written some great songs.

sure, but compared to pre-00...

miblum
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
phan just leaked me a few dates, like spac june 15 and 16th and phoenix september 4th.

Phan
11-29-2006, 08:33 PM
phan just leaked me a few dates, like spac june 15 and 16th and phoenix september 4th.

:lol Matt, The private convos we have after I hang up with Carter is our business.

But yea, We can drop that on them for now.

morbo
11-29-2006, 11:08 PM
and start writing decent stuff!!

seriously, you guys don't know when to stop... can i get an amen??

i mean, if i were your guys families and you were on tour this much, i just might kill myself... honesetly, do it for your kids, yourself and your career... we don't care if you take a break... honestly, we'd welcome it.

can i get an amen again??

smitt

omg! i haven't been saying this for over 2 years!

Yee
11-30-2006, 01:08 AM

i thought blossom was september 4th and bethel was june 15 and 16.

dmbfan36_23
11-30-2006, 01:52 AM
those are bunk Yee...... I'd trust -Phan over you anyday! -Phan is so fucking 733t!!!

akleiner34
11-30-2006, 02:07 AM
Phan, tell them to play Hershey in Sept. like 03.

vandamit
11-30-2006, 02:32 AM
im confused.

you all are crazy.

vandamit
11-30-2006, 02:33 AM
who likes my christmas avatar?!!??!??!

akleiner34
11-30-2006, 02:36 AM
who likes my christmas avatar?!!??!??!

:downyours

(kidding)

vandamit
11-30-2006, 02:48 AM

Jay, your post count is rediculous.

FYI.