PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever suffer from panic attacks/panic disorder?

Gary.
11-26-2006, 06:30 PM
In the past month I have been stricken with severe panic attacks and constant nervousness. They've been triggered by school, personal life, and an overwhelming amount of stress. My doctor has prescriped me Paxil CR and Xanax(to alleviate an imminent panic attack). This sort of shit freaks me out. I've never had an anxiety disorder and I was wondering if anyone else here is suffering or has suffered from any in the past? If so, how are you doing?

Fan#41
11-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Woah. Gary...I never relaized DMB was causing you this much stress.

Seriously though, good luck with all that man.

mrpeters
11-26-2006, 06:37 PM
my girlfriend does....she just freezes and starts crying and grabbing me sometimes...

she thinks i have anxiety too, i just dont know how you go to the doctor and say "i think i have this"

akleiner34
11-26-2006, 07:15 PM
In the past month I have been stricken with severe panic attacks and constant nervousness. They've been triggered by school, personal life, and an overwhelming amount of stress. My doctor has prescriped me Paxil CR and Xanax(to alleviate an imminent panic attack). This sort of shit freaks me out. I've never had an anxiety disorder and I was wondering if anyone else here is suffering or has suffered from any in the past? If so, how are you doing?

Here's my deal man; I was born with severe OCD/G.E.D/ and panic disorder. I have been sick all my life and recently in tune with you my symptoms have peaked violently because of an overwhelming amount of stress in my life. I know alot about this stuff and would be very glad to field questions you might have.

Hammajor
11-27-2006, 08:25 AM
With meds it gets easier. Xanax is a help, too. Makes it harder to fixate on something that would otherwise trigger a panic attack.

Oscar The Grouch
11-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Not in quite some time, but they are certainly no fun. good luck with that.

JamSession v2.0
11-27-2006, 12:57 PM
I have panic attacks twice a year, without fail.

raven
11-27-2006, 01:32 PM
I've never had a panic attack before this summer, and I've had a few since. I have Lyme Disease and for a while didn't know what was causing all of my symptoms. Lyme causes anxiety and that along with not knowing why I was getting all these weird feelings (facial numbness, heart palpitations, etc) caused quite a bit anxiety. I'm actually going to a psychiatrist on friday to talk about it and see if it's worth treating. Panic attacks are not fun.. they are rough.

raven
11-27-2006, 01:33 PM
my girlfriend does....she just freezes and starts crying and grabbing me sometimes...

she thinks i have anxiety too, i just dont know how you go to the doctor and say "i think i have this"look up a checklist online and bring it to the doctor

celebi23
11-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I used to have them quite freuntly during freshman year of college last year. Lemme find what medication my dr. prescribed for me. It's not a heavy duty drug, just something to enable you make yourself calm down

Wescoast
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
a chick i used to date was quasi nuts i think, she had very bad ocd and panic attacks and stuff. i couldnt imagine if i had them.

the only time i had one was in belize. i took this excursion from our cruise ship that went in these underground caves and rivers. you sat on a tube and floated for a couple hours. it sounded sweet. but it was very cold and rainy outside... and we had to treck through a jungle for like an hour. it was nutty. anyways at one point there was a huge batcave and they said we had to turn our headlamps off. so it was pitch black AND we couldnt make a sound or the bats could get annoyed and start going crazy. i just couldnt deal haha and was like 'Fuck! i think im floating the wrong way', and i fell out of the tube... so im thinking now all these bats are gonna start flying around everywhere. but i couldnt see a thing and everyone was telling me to be quiet. it sucked.

captainbluntmofo
11-29-2006, 03:12 AM
Hope it works out for all in this thread.

burninghammer00
11-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I had basically the same problem you had triggered by school, public speaking, test anxiety etc. I've been taking xanax as needed since maybe sophmore year of high school. I'd recommend that over anything else cause you can take it when you need to. You don't have to be a zombie all the time. I dunno why you'd wanna be on Paxil I'm not familiar with it. Usually an anti-depressant is perscribed in conjunction with the "anti-anxiety" pill. In my case I have Lexapro which I take about once a day if I remember. It helps stop dwelling on issues, and some other things I am not aware of. I also tried clonzapam (spelling?) and didn't like it because you take it before bed. I needed to know that I was taking something when I felt anxiety coming, so I went back to xanax and rarely need it now a days. Just never take it with alcohol, you'll be insanely drunk and black out who knows what'll happen. I mistakenly did a few times and went to the hospital cause I cracked my skull on a brick wall and needed stiches. Take xanax when needed, keep steady usage, and your brain chemistry will start to change. Situations which once gave you anxiety fade away and you go through your everyday routine. Just beware that being on a high dose can turn you into a zombie. Meaning you can be exremely tired, hard to retain information, out of it in general. I take a small small dose .5 and it's workin' great for me. Hope some of this helps ya...

Edit: Oh and I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder

Gary.
11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
I had basically the same problem you had triggered by school, public speaking, test anxiety etc. I've been taking xanax as needed since maybe sophmore year of high school. I'd recommend that over anything else cause you can take it when you need to. You don't have to be a zombie all the time. I dunno why you'd wanna be on Paxil I'm not familiar with it. Usually an anti-depressant is perscribed in conjunction with the "anti-anxiety" pill. In my case I have Lexapro which I take about once a day if I remember. It helps stop dwelling on issues, and some other things I am not aware of. I also tried clonzapam (spelling?) and didn't like it because you take it before bed. I needed to know that I was taking something when I felt anxiety coming, so I went back to xanax and rarely need it now a days. Just never take it with alcohol, you'll be insanely drunk and black out who knows what'll happen. I mistakenly did a few times and went to the hospital cause I cracked my skull on a brick wall and needed stiches. Take xanax when needed, keep steady usage, and your brain chemistry will start to change. Situations which once gave you anxiety fade away and you go through your everyday routine. Just beware that being on a high dose can turn you into a zombie. Meaning you can be exremely tired, hard to retain information, out of it in general. I take a small small dose .5 and it's workin' great for me. Hope some of this helps ya...

Edit: Oh and I was diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder

From what I've been told, Xanax doesn't necessarily reconfigure your brain chemistry. It's a potentially habit forming pill that conks you out. Paxil is a controlled release tablet that functions as a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor. By being on it for a month, the doctor believes I'll get my life back on track. I have the Xanax but I haven't felt the urge to use it since I've been on Paxil for a week now. I feel much better and haven't had a crippling panic attack in a couple of days now.

akleiner34
11-29-2006, 12:35 PM
From what I've been told, Xanax doesn't necessarily reconfigure your brain chemistry. It's a potentially habit forming pill that conks you out. Paxil is a controlled release tablet that functions as a Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitor. By being on it for a month, the doctor believes I'll get my life back on track. I have the Xanax but I haven't felt the urge to use it since I've been on Paxil for a week now. I feel much better and haven't had a crippling panic attack in a couple of days now.

Keep on rocking man.

Far as it goes for me, and for the third time, I am probably going to have to withdraw for the semester because of it.

burninghammer00
11-29-2006, 01:51 PM

Yeah I've heard that as well. I guess because I'm on such a low doseage I wouldn't really be affected by any withdraw symptoms. I think it's really a let's try this n see if it works approach. It also depends on the doc, the majority of them tend to favor certain medications for whatever reason. I can recall two times when I "conked" out...

Time 1: I was nervous about taking a final took too many xanax. I passed out during the exam, only to wake up to people leaving the room because they were done. I quickly filled in answers and began to fail that final cause I had no clue what the hell was going on or that I even fell asleep.

Time 2: I was nervous about going to court for a stupid ticket. I took too much again, and by the time I got in front of the judge I was a mess. I was stumbling around and slurring like I was drunk. There were some convicts in shackles in the front row. They were lookin' at me like what the hell is wrong with this kid. I assured one woman "Don't worry I got it covered..." Then I proceded to tell the judge I didn't agree that I had done anything wrong. Whoops! It turned out to be fine. When I got home I passed out for 3 hours or so, then I went to class later that day still a little loopy from it.

Good times.

groove merchant
11-30-2006, 12:17 AM
all i can add is: 2 purple xanax and a bottle of GOOd red wine will send that panic to a far away place...the next day get ready to take it again and again and again...feeling normal is habit forming.:hi

Gary.
11-30-2006, 01:03 AM
Far as it goes for me, and for the third time, I am probably going to have to withdraw for the semester because of it.

Sorry to hear that. If I've learned anything, its that you have to do what you have to do. Forget about the rat race of life; it's what got me in this mess in the first place. If I took my life a little less seriously, I probably wouldn't have broken down. Be well, be positive, and just find comfort in the words of others.

Smittay
11-30-2006, 09:47 PM
gary heres what you do

pharmaceuticals is my second calling

do not take SSRI's, they only fuck you up and give you dry mouth and mess with your dick... seriously, its too specific

you need a tri-cyclic antidepressant like Tofranil (Imipramine), its old school came out in the 60's, take it at night... its chemical structure produces norepinephrine and serotonin without blocking the reuptake like the SSRI's. you'll have to stay on it for life most likely, but you will never have a panic attack again, or OCD, or depression.

pharmas dont tell you this cause they introduce a new SSRI and SNRIs each year and put out spazzy commercials for them, its a big mafia ring. go to CVS, buy the pill book, look up Imipramine for yourself. start with a dosage of 150mg (3- 50mg tablets) and increase gradually from there to hover between 200-300mg.

also take a fast acting benzo like klonopin or xanax to immediately reduce anxiety.

bsan83
11-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Just wanted to echo folks' sentiments in this thread, Gary, and everyone else who's got similar issues, when I say get well soon and we're hoping for the best for ya.

SteadySmokin03
11-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes . . . this summer I was living by myself taking classes 4 times a week, working 6 days a week, and there would be times when I was studying for a test I had the next day and I would just start freaking out, it felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. I guess I just had alot of anxiety, but what this led to was me drinking every night by myself and becoming pretty depressed. Eventually I went to a doctor at the UMD health center, who prescribed me trazodone(depression/sleeplessness). I've been on it about 3 months now, cut back my drinking significantly and now I am definantly feeling better. Still have my bad days just like everybody else, but I am having good days alot more often.

Gary.
12-01-2006, 02:33 AM
gary heres what you do

pharmaceuticals is my second calling

do not take SSRI's, they only fuck you up and give you dry mouth and mess with your dick... seriously, its too specific

you need a tri-cyclic antidepressant like Tofranil (Imipramine), its old school came out in the 60's, take it at night... its chemical structure produces norepinephrine and serotonin without blocking the reuptake like the SSRI's. you'll have to stay on it for life most likely, but you will never have a panic attack again, or OCD, or depression.

pharmas dont tell you this cause they introduce a new SSRI and SNRIs each year and put out spazzy commercials for them, its a big mafia ring. go to CVS, buy the pill book, look up Imipramine for yourself. start with a dosage of 150mg (3- 50mg tablets) and increase gradually from there to hover between 200-300mg.

also take a fast acting benzo like klonopin or xanax to immediately reduce anxiety.

i'm seeing my doctor on the 19th. i plan to get off the meds at that point since school will be ending. we both agreed that it was a temporary solution so that i'd be able to just get through this month without fucking up my last semester.

i have taken xanax and have taken them when necessary.

and yes, SSRIs have a habit of fucking with your sex drive.

groove merchant
12-01-2006, 11:11 AM
i'm seeing my doctor on the 19th. i plan to get off the meds at that point since school will be ending. we both agreed that it was a temporary solution so that i'd be able to just get through this month without fucking up my last semester.

i have taken xanax and have taken them when necessary.

and yes, SSRIs have a habit of fucking with your sex drive.

SSRIs have a habit of fucking with you...not just the sex drive. its almost as if the meds re-wire the system...leaving you without the edge or drive you once had...i am no fan of these. there are short term fixes for the short term problems...not all panic dissorders are life long and come and go as life changes. making a whole sale change in who you are over anxiety is crazy. in some cases these SSRIs can be helpfull but certainly not all cases warrent this stuff.

Gary.
12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
SSRIs have a habit of fucking with you...not just the sex drive. its almost as if the meds re-wire the system...leaving you without the edge or drive you once had...i am no fan of these. there are short term fixes for the short term problems...not all panic dissorders are life long and come and go as life changes. making a whole sale change in who you are over anxiety is crazy. in some cases these SSRIs can be helpfull but certainly not all cases warrent this stuff.

im on your side. that's why i plan to wean off it december 19th. if i didn't do something, i wouldn't have finished this semester. if this is what I needed to do for a month, then so be it. im not thrilled with myself, but it is what it is.

groove merchant
12-01-2006, 12:00 PM
im on your side. that's why i plan to wean off it december 19th. if i didn't do something, i wouldn't have finished this semester. if this is what I needed to do for a month, then so be it. im not thrilled with myself, but it is what it is.

i hear ya,man. ive been there. having to go to my doctor and say...uummm somethings wrong and i am freaking out...my heart feels like its gonna jump out of my chest...wtf is wrong with me...was not a good time. him telling me i was having panic attacks was insane. i fought it for a while but soon realized i needed some meds. a very low dose of valium twice a day did the trick. i regained my focus and ability to function normal. (i tried the SSRI's first and thats how i know what they do)

Per553
12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
ha, ocd kids unite... i haven't had much luck with klonopin (actually, no matter what dose i take, it does virtually nothing for me but make me tired ) but zoloft kinda helps with checking ocd. however, i think combination therapy for anxiety/stress/ panic disorders is probably best. CBT/CT (cognitive behavioral therapy) can really help in conjunction with the right drugs. i mean, the types of drugs people have been mentioning can change brain function and ameilorate symptoms quickly but they aren't a cure and the chance for relapse and recurrence is HIGH. Therapy, by contrast, has proven to be just as effective as meds (over time, of course) and has much lower relapse and recurrence rates. Also, check out the DSM IV criteria to see if you're suffering from just a general anxiety disorder or if you're just clinically depressed. I don't have the link handy but from what I recall if you suffer from four of the following: fatigue/loss of energy, insomnia (or hypersomnia), decreased appetite, diminished attention span, feelings of worthlessness or excessive guilt, and thoughts of death/suicide....you're probably a good canidate for being diagnosed with clinical depression. and you should talk to someone. a professional someone.

akleiner34
12-01-2006, 12:24 PM
Paxil made me feel as if someone could slaughter everyone I love and my reaction would be whatever. Zoloft worked better but really fucked with my stomach and I couldn't ya know finish for like an hour and a half.

My favorite anti-crazy drugs are the tranqulizers and sedatives like lorazepam(Adavan). Perfect quick fix.

groove merchant
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Paxil made me feel as if someone could slaughter everyone I love and my reaction would be whatever. Zoloft worked better but really fucked with my stomach and I couldn't ya know finish for like an hour and a half.

My favorite anti-crazy drugs are the tranqulizers and sedatives like lorazepam(Adavan). Perfect quick fix.

anti-crazy...:lol lorazepam will do it. but the brain needs to have some self control after the 8 hour dose. if this can be achieved,great.

Gary.
12-01-2006, 01:01 PM
once school is over, i'll be better. i know it. two more fucking weeks!

Green-To-Grey
12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Ultimately, the medications control symptoms. Counseling, to me at least, is the way to control ever having the symptoms in the first place. I went through a period of severe panic/depression last year and believe the counseling has been more important to feeling better than the medications.