PDA

View Full Version : The revisionist history regarding Some Devil.

bsan83
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
I've noted in the last 6 months or so seemingly overwhelming praise on here for an album that was received very luke-warmly upon it's release. Is it more a factor of said disc growing on people due to the songs themselves, the ensuing tour being as memorable as it was, or is it more due to the bombing of the subsequent DMB album?

alexbunke
11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
It definitely grew on me, and I'm not trying to compensate for any disappointment with DMB studio work.

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:12 PM
ahh, I remember this album getting a lot of love from the begining. I haven't noticed much difference in the last few months.

I was floored on my first listen, which never happens to me.

GreyStHokie
11-30-2006, 05:20 PM
i loved it when it came out..i seem to remember the original take on the album was a little better than luke-warm though..

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:20 PM
I really liked it a lot when it came out. I remember picking it up and having a drive ahead of that was long enough to listen to it straight through...good stuff.

TheNoise
11-30-2006, 05:21 PM
i liked it from the beginning. but i think as soon as DM&F started touring that winter, the love for it went through the roof.

so in summary, i think you're wrong. :)

Mersh
and it is a bit off topic and has been said, but the D+F show I went to was one of the best times I've ever had at any show.

Mersh
Its no True Reflections though.

Guyute
11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
I've loved it since day one, but I'm starting to think Dave is saving his good stuff for solo releases.

Crumbo
11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
and it is a bit off topic and has been said, but the D+F show I went to was one of the best times I've ever had at any show.

:coolguy

ditto

sarge
11-30-2006, 05:26 PM
I really liked it a lot when it came out. I remember picking it up and having a drive ahead of that was long enough to listen to it straight through...good stuff.
i liked it from the start as well

TheNoise
11-30-2006, 05:27 PM
yes, the D&F tour put a lot of undecided people onto the like-side of SD.

batleon
11-30-2006, 05:29 PM
I really liked SD from jump myself. The love's only increased since then.

I missed the D+F tour and I am really hoping they put another one together soon.

TheNoise
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
they could definitely tour without another solo album. i'd rather have DM try to make good music with DMB before he makes more good music 'solo'... but DM&F could definitely tour as is

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:34 PM
i liked it from the beginning. but i think as soon as DM&F started touring that winter, the love for it went through the roof.

so in summary, i think you're wrong. :)

yea, this is what I remember.

I also remember them taking the stage at Providence and flooring me. And then, in boston doing it all over again. Seeing Trey and Dave on stage jamming away together connected a few big parts of my life.

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:34 PM
well, this thread worked out well for bill:lol

TheNoise
11-30-2006, 05:35 PM
we can just change the title of the thread to "Hey, Some Devil is good and let's talk about Solo material / DM&F touring"

bsan83
11-30-2006, 05:37 PM
Heh, I just don't remember it being this "holy shit this is great!" when the album first came out. Maybe the tour changed that for some people, and maybe the folks who didn't care for it have since moved on (it has been 3 years now).

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Hey, Stand Up is good

what? no

TheNoise
11-30-2006, 05:43 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh boy. look what i've done there.

whoops.

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:45 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhh boy. look what i've done there.

whoops.

you were trying to pull one over on us..."I'll get them to say SU is good"

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Heh, I just don't remember it being this "holy shit this is great!" when the album first came out. Maybe the tour changed that for some people, and may the folks who didn't care for it have since moved on (it has been 3 years now).

I was pretty down on dmb after that summer (I walked out of hartford just wondering exactly what the hell happened and Central Park was just such a nightmare it is hard to remember) Then, I grabbed some devil and listened to it. Absolutely was floored. Then, my buddy in Oregon that I've been to about 40 shows with called me at 2am or so just freaking out about how good it was.

That tour, oh that tour. It was A+ all the way around.

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:46 PM
side note: switching between boards is a pain in the balls.

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:48 PM

having your post count reset is a pain in the balls. I feel like I can't even post at ufck anymore. 400 posts or some shit (which I would have bet money I had way more in title).

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:50 PM
It did, however, flatten my canoe.

Jack
11-30-2006, 05:52 PM
It did, however, flatten my canoe.

I wonder if they'd let me buy them back? :lol

Mersh
11-30-2006, 05:54 PM
does the non-bonus disc version have more of those little writing things...mine only has up to Save Me

alexbunke
11-30-2006, 06:00 PM
side note: switching between boards is a pain in the balls.:upyours

Jack
11-30-2006, 06:01 PM
does the non-bonus disc version have more of those little writing things...mine only has up to Save Me

Hmm, I don't know. The only non bonus disc version I have I bought for my dad and it is in his car.

I do like that he wrote Dodo in Maine though.

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with the 'some devil bonus' disc the warehouse is currently giving away with orders over $50? I assume it is just the dave and tim songs, but you never know. It could be the actual cd, or maybe something I've never seen before.

sarge
11-30-2006, 06:03 PM
amen. i think it was a bad idea to split it up (i like this board a lot...i am just saying)

Bartender
11-30-2006, 06:04 PM
I've loved it since first listen. The guitar riffs got to me right away.
Dodo, SDL, SoL, and Oh...I miss good DM guitar riffs.

FHW
11-30-2006, 06:11 PM
With the exception of An' Another Thing, I loved the album from the first time I heard it. Now it's one of my favorite albums to listen to as a whole from beginning to end.

kaisek
11-30-2006, 06:15 PM
having your post count reset is a pain in the balls. I feel like I can't even post at ufck anymore. 400 posts or some shit (which I would have bet money I had way more in title).

I've posted in title tons before the move...... now I have 4 posts. ermmm...

Mersh
11-30-2006, 06:17 PM
I've posted in title tons before the move...... now I have 4 posts. ermmm...

several forums have gotten the axe. I doubt your post count was reset to 4.

Pay4WhatUGet
11-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I liked certian tracks from the get-go, and others I just never got into. I think at the time of the release, I was just happy to get some new Dave stuff, and I was happy with how it turned out.

What I really hoped was that SD would have made DMB more hungry to make thier next disc better.........well we got Stand Up.

Tomacco
11-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I always liked it, and I think most people did too. Nobody was really saying it sucks, I don't think.

priceofacoke910
11-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I had it in my CD player non-stop for like 3 months straight...no joke!

kaisek
11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
several forums have gotten the axe. I doubt your post count was reset to 4.

actually... it was down to zero.

Its funny cause I can still look at all of the subscribed threads that I posted in in title.

BajaSpyder
11-30-2006, 07:38 PM
The ordering of the tracks is another thing that impresses me greatly

captainbluntmofo
11-30-2006, 08:02 PM
One of the better nights of being a Dave/DMB fan. Having the album "leak" and then going to CP the next day.

captainbluntmofo
11-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Most of the songs I loved/liked right away. Baby, SoL So damn Lucky, Save Me, Dodo, SD, Oh....

It was only Trey tearing Trouble to pieces and the mellowness of Grey Blue Eyes that need to click live.

pepelapag
11-30-2006, 08:39 PM
I've loved it since day one, but I'm starting to think Dave is saving his good stuff for solo releases.
i dont think its necessarily that hes saving his good stuff, but more that the band wont let him put his good stuff on albums, so that instead Fonz can write songs like Hunger.

Guyute
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
i dont think its necessarily that hes saving his good stuff, but more that the band wont let him put his good stuff on albums, so that instead Fonz can write songs like Hunger.
:lol

Hunger for the Great Songs

bidroc
11-30-2006, 08:52 PM
SD is a classic example of DM still unable to "get too popular" even though, most of the material is great. If Paul Simon would have put that album out in 1988, it would have been #1 for weeks.

Even with all the talk of the DMB crowds becoming really crappy and consistency not being up to par with the 90's, this band continues to push the envelope on "we are the best touring act out there" and always will. "we don't do albums, meaning they wont get a lot of radio play or praise." And there are still people who won't attend a DM related show or are just ignorant of other music that is not played on the radio.

Thrawn
11-30-2006, 11:36 PM
SD is a classic example of DM still unable to "get too popular" even though, most of the material is great. If Paul Simon would have put that album out in 1988, it would have been #1 for weeks.

Even with all the talk of the DMB crowds becoming really crappy and consistency not being up to par with the 90's, this band continues to push the envelope on "we are the best touring act out there" and always will. "we don't do albums, meaning they wont get a lot of radio play or praise." And there are still people who won't attend a DM related show or are just ignorant of other music that is not played on the radio.

I have no idea what this post is trying to say.

bidroc
12-01-2006, 12:29 AM
I have no idea what this post is trying to say.

its a spin off from another thread

Wescoast
12-01-2006, 12:46 AM
i seem to remember the album being quite well received on the bridge... certainly better than lukewarm.

the only songs that i think lack on the album, trouble and up and away, turned out being possibly the best live songs. the tour supported the quality of the album, and its the best thing with daves name on it to come out since btcs.

i said in another thread though, that an another thing is the worst thing with daves name ever released. its just such a horrible 5 minutes of music.

slugmother
12-01-2006, 05:35 AM
i remember it being received lukewarmly (is that a word) too...

and an' another thing is my second favorite track on there, after stay or leave.

JamSession v2.0
12-01-2006, 07:10 AM
ahh, I remember this album getting a lot of love from the begining.

Yeah, same here.