Kill him

:upyours

I hope this song isn't dead.

Ledge
12-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Love it.

John Chimpo
12-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Since I got a new computer, I no longer have KtK on my computer. Anyone mind YSIing a decent version?

Popeye2003
12-02-2006, 09:11 AM
Best 06 song, IMO.

BigEyedMullet
12-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Best 06 song, IMO.

:upyours I will be devastated if this song dies...

Ledge
12-02-2006, 09:18 AM
:upyours I will be devastated if this song dies...

Not to be a huge downer or anything, but they played it seven times and not once in the second half of the tour. I'd be shocked if it were still alive.

Hammajor
12-02-2006, 09:18 AM
The lack of play in the second half doesn't bode well. I LOVE the 6/14/06 - Kill the King.

Popeye2003
12-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Kill The King 06-09
http://www.mediafire.com/?7yhyjm5m2gl

BigEyedMullet
12-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Not to be a huge downer or anything, but they played it seven times and not once in the second half of the tour. I'd be shocked if it were still alive.

No, I understand, I think I feel this way because deep down, realistically, I'm pretty sure its gone.

Hammajor
12-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Although it does fit within Dave's statement that this album will be more "edgy." Whatever that means.

John Chimpo
12-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Kill The King 06-09
http://www.mediafire.com/?7yhyjm5m2gl

thank ya kindly

denali
12-02-2006, 10:35 AM
one of my favorites from this summer. and everyone is brilliant on it. rashawn adds some fabulousness to the end.

groove merchant
12-02-2006, 10:44 AM
KTK will return. i dont think it will show up as kill the king tho. If you look at whats going on musicaly in that tune...there are some nice layers and i doubt it will be scraped in full. too much goodness to throw it away. IF it does get the axe and break free makes the album instead...:oar

Bartender
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Best 06 song, IMO.

right behind Shotgun

orbs35
12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
no way this is dead

breuer33
12-02-2006, 11:33 AM
im not sure if the band is all into this tune. i can see them scrapping this one. at least over shotgun or break free

seekup19
12-02-2006, 12:21 PM
this is such a great song too, i don't know why it didn't get much love this year. i dug it.

jessie123
12-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's the debut too, if anyone wants it...

Kill the King -6/6/06
http://www.sendspace.com/file/uqzni5

Tomacco
12-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Here's the debut too, if anyone wants it...

Kill the King -6/6/06
http://www.sendspace.com/file/uqzni5

I love this. It really feels like a "DMB song", if that makes any sense.

JamSession v2.0
12-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I love this. It really feels like a "DMB song", if that makes any sense.

I know exactly what you mean. It feels like how DMB should have evolved. I like it for that.

nolan8or
12-02-2006, 01:16 PM
i love this song, i'm gonna predict that its not dead

hurabgolf29
12-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Check out the message over on dmbalmanac, they make is sound like the band really liked it. One of the first tunes they wrote in the studio too. Its not dead...maybe the first single and they stopped playing so they can get it down perfect, but who knows. One of my fav's from last summer!

Tomacco
12-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Check out the message over on dmbalmanac, they make is sound like the band really liked it. One of the first tunes they wrote in the studio too. Its not dead...maybe the first single and they stopped playing so they can get it down perfect, but who knows. One of my fav's from last summer!

For what it's worth, I think it was being soundchecked for awhile after it stopped being played live, I think maybe even in August.

Mersh
12-02-2006, 01:59 PM
This tune got the axe and Can't Stop was played into the ground...

bsan83
12-02-2006, 02:03 PM
This tune got the axe and Can't Stop was played into the ground...

New tunes that have gotten axed from rotation in recent years:

Kill the King
Hello Again
Good Good Time
Sugar Will

New tunes that have stayed in rotation:

Smooth Rider
Dream Girl
Hunger for the Great Light
Can't Stop

Moral of the story: I have no idea what the hell is their thought process. :lol

JamSession v2.0
12-02-2006, 02:09 PM

Kill the King
Hello Again
Good Good Time
Sugar Will

Smooth Rider
Dream Girl
Can't Stop

Moral of the story: I have no idea what the hell is their thought process. :lolThey take their cues from a loaf of shit named "Bob".

Moral of the story: Don't trust Bob.

bsan83
12-02-2006, 02:12 PM
So of course, we can expect the only '06 tunes on the album to be Can't Stop and maybe Break Free.

JamSession v2.0
12-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, def Can't Stop since Stefan wrote it. Durrrrrrrrrrr...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/kiyone/803_image_07small.jpg

last72stop
12-02-2006, 02:45 PM

Kill the King
Hello Again
Good Good Time
Sugar Will

Smooth Rider
Dream Girl
Can't Stop

New tunes that got axed recently from the rotation:
Old Dirt Hill
I Did It (not quite as new but still counts)
Everybody Wake Up
Out Of My Hands

New tunes that have stayed in the rotation:
Shotgun
Idea of You
Bayou
Break Free
Joy Ride (1st half of 06)

Moral of the story: you can make this list look as good or as bad as you want...some good songs have made it and some havent. some songs that arent as great made it and some havent.

bsan83
12-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Old Dirt Hill
Everybody Wake Up
Out Of My Hands

Shotgun
Idea of You
Bayou
Break Free

Moral of the story: you can make this list look as good or as bad as you want...some good songs have made it and some havent. some songs that arent as great made it and some havent.

Given that Shotgun was played for the last month of the tour, there's not really any time for it to have been dropped. Joy Ride was played for all of 10 days this year, dropped the year before and most of this year, and left off its album. I wouldn't mind if Break Free got dropped. I don't expect Old Dirt Hill to be gone forever.

Mersh
12-02-2006, 02:51 PM

come on man.

Popeye2003
12-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Old Dirt Hill
Everybody Wake Up
Out Of My Hands

Shotgun
Idea of You
Bayou
Break Free

Everybody Wake Up and Out Of My Hands are good songs at worst.

bsan83
12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Everybody Wake Up and Out Of My Hands are good songs at worst.

EWU sounds like shit live; it's hollow and empty and the end sucks. Out of My Hands is a nice, quiet studio song that was placed horribly live and disinterested the crowd more than any song I've ever seen.

Popeye2003
12-02-2006, 03:06 PM
EWU sounds like shit live; it's hollow and empty and the end sucks. Out of My Hands is a nice, quiet studio song that was placed horribly live and disinterested the crowd more than any song I've ever seen.
I'll give you EWU sounding incomplete live. But I was liked OOMH live. Then again, I never was at the show, so I can't tell the effect it has on an audience. But I like it.

Mersh
12-02-2006, 03:11 PM

I agree

IPeeInTheShower
12-02-2006, 03:11 PM
I'll give you EWU sounding incomplete live. But I was liked OOMH live. Then again, I never was at the show, so I can't tell the effect it has on an audience. But I like it.

OOMH really didnt' make any sense live and I think the band could tell that. I don't expect to see that song show up more than once or twice a year....maybe.

As for Kill the King, my first impression was that I didnt' like the beginning of the song but as that song picks up energy it's great.

And what does Dave mean by the new album being more edgy? At this point I'm not going to trust anything that guy says...especially since when he said that there couldn't have been much of the album recorded anyway. And was does edgy mean anyway? More drum loops and more deviation from the classic DMB norm. I don't really want an "edgy" album. I'd be satisfied with a safe DMB quality album at this point.

bsan83
12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
OOMH really didnt' make any sense live and I think the band could tell that. I don't expect to see that song show up more than once or twice a year....maybe.

As for Kill the King, my first impression was that I didnt' like the beginning of the song but as that song picks up energy it's great.

And what does Dave mean by the new album being more edgy? At this point I'm not going to trust anything that guy says...especially since when he said that there couldn't have been much of the album recorded anyway. And was does edgy mean anyway? More drum loops and more deviation from the classic DMB norm. I don't really want an "edgy" album. I'd be satisfied with a safe DMB quality album at this point.

And Boyd said the album will probably sound like more of a DMB album. Point is, these guys have no idea what direction they're going in, and it's obvious.

IPeeInTheShower
12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
And Boyd said the album will probably sound like more of a DMB album. Point is, these guys have no idea what direction they're going in, and it's obvious.

Yeah I agree. I bet they're just writing songs as they come and not really focusing on the direction. That might be the best way to go anyway. When you sit down with an album and try to make it more this or more that the result could sound too forced.

bsan83
12-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Yeah I agree. I bet they're just writing songs as they come and not really focusing on the direction. That might be the best way to go anyway. When you sit down with an album and try to make it more this or more that the result could sound too forced.

Or you end up with an album like Stand Up that at best sounds like a band that's completely lost.

shadowraven
12-03-2006, 01:25 AM
first time i heard it was the last time it was played live. good song, i liked it.

dmbowns
12-03-2006, 01:30 AM
better than break free.

which is good too.

seekup19
12-03-2006, 01:33 AM
I know exactly what you mean. It feels like how DMB should have evolved. I like it for that.
i second this... it does "feel" like a DMB song. perfect way to describe this song.

dsera
12-03-2006, 01:42 AM

Kill the King
Hello Again
Good Good Time
Sugar Will

Smooth Rider
Dream Girl
Can't Stop

You forgot Crazy-Easy

and all the 06 versions are still up www.seekup.org/shared/

ethaxton
12-03-2006, 01:50 AM
better than break free.

which is good too.

Better than Break Free, yes...Break Free good, no.

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 01:56 AM
break free = more shitty representation of this band via the fucking radio.

captainbluntmofo
12-03-2006, 02:40 AM

Thought process is that they think those songs are better suited for the crowds. I don't want them played as often but I understand. I am just happy that Last Stop finally got its due attention again.

dmb0226
12-03-2006, 02:52 AM
i definitely miss this song

CRUSHsoccer15
12-03-2006, 03:00 AM
What you do
You alone could save my soul
Just your smile makes me think I could kill the king
Kill the king
Just your laugh makes me know I could kill the king
Kill him

That might be the most meaningful thing Dave has written in years. I love it.

greykitkat36
12-03-2006, 03:21 AM
KTK sounded too complete for them to just scrap it. I think we'll see it on the album.

captainbluntmofo
12-03-2006, 03:33 AM
Damn this song is great. Chorus reminds of the Stone....

Freedom is not Freedom is not

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Nah, it's quite Shakespearean.

bsan83
12-03-2006, 08:37 AM
Thought process is that they think those songs are better suited for the crowds. I don't want them played as often but I understand. I am just happy that Last Stop finally got its due attention again.

Because the crowds are almost as amped up after Smooth Rider and Dream Girl as they were after Hello Again. Or maybe not.

Merc
12-03-2006, 09:03 AM

:wtf

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
break free = more shitty representation of this band via the fucking radio.

wait...i need to say this ^^^^^^^^^^^again.

akleiner34
12-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Maybe it's just me but I really can't stand Break Free and barely like Kill the King. I think that both of those songs sort of suck. As far as what the band "should sound like now" or should have "evolved" into; Idea of You and Shotgun pretty much fit that bill. I think those two sound like the continuation of the BTCS - LWS -04 tunes Dave Matthews Band and KTK BF and Can't Stop sucking sound like the ED - SU Dave Matthews Band. Also, I am no trying to mince words about lyrical content. IOY's improv lyrics weren't always stellar but they are a damn sight better than the lyrics for BF. Shotgun
is the only complete and true new DMB song I have heard since I heard the 04 debuts, IMO.

sarge
12-03-2006, 10:42 AM
so sad the west coast missed out on this

breuer33
12-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Well, def Can't Stop since Stefan wrote it. Durrrrrrrrrrr...

http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/kiyone/803_image_07small.jpg

i was unaware that stefan wrote this one. kinda brings a new insight into the tune now.

Tomacco
12-03-2006, 03:16 PM
i was unaware that stefan wrote this one. kinda brings a new insight into the tune now.

The song began with Stefan playing with that bassline, and grew from there. Dave still wrote the lyrics.

shadowraven
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
KTK sounded too complete for them to just scrap it. I think we'll see it on the album.

Sugar Will, Sweet Up and Down, Granny, JTR & Crazy-Easy all wanna argue with you there.

Strugz10
12-04-2006, 04:11 PM
6.9.06 is the only good performance of this song. The rest are a mess and I can understand why they stopped playing it.

Bartender
12-04-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't listen to this song enough. I loved it this summer.

Mersh
12-04-2006, 04:26 PM
Maybe it's just me but I really can't stand Break Free and barely like Kill the King. I think that both of those songs sort of suck. As far as what the band "should sound like now" or should have "evolved" into; Idea of You and Shotgun pretty much fit that bill. I think those two sound like the continuation of the BTCS - LWS -04 tunes Dave Matthews Band and KTK BF and Can't Stop sucking sound like the ED - SU Dave Matthews Band. Also, I am no trying to mince words about lyrical content. IOY's improv lyrics weren't always stellar but they are a damn sight better than the lyrics for BF. Shotgun
is the only complete and true new DMB song I have heard since I heard the 04 debuts, IMO.

I think BF and Can't Stop are terrible, but KTK isn't as bad IMO.

akleiner34
12-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I think BF and Can't Stop are terrible, but KTK isn't as bad IMO.

True, but it still isn't great.

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
True, but it still isn't great.

I couldn't disagree with you more when you say that Idea of You is more like "old school" DMB. I'll concede the point on Shotgun, though.

akleiner34
12-04-2006, 06:28 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more when you say that Idea of You is more like "old school" DMB. I'll concede the point on Shotgun, though.

Compared with Break Free it is. That's what I meant. IOY reminds me of something that could have been on Busted Stuff. Break Free is fancified elevator music ( o wait and the end jam is ^*$*&$(*%)*OMG)

captainbluntmofo
12-04-2006, 07:12 PM
Damn I love Break Free. Lyrics are casual but the melody is very fine.

JWood
12-04-2006, 07:16 PM
I liked Kill the King quite a bit, hope it isn't gone.

celluloid hero
12-05-2006, 01:54 AM
Can anyone come up with better lyrics than this for the 6/6 version?

I'll never think that the end could be near
so bring me back
running on fire through a bump in the road
and we all be pride
general I don't 'cause great big fame
it's the game ain't run that real
I've taken by cup of the time of being
and we all rain by

You save the world
every time you walk in the room
what you do
you alone could save my soul
with just your smile makes me think that I could kill the king, kill the king
just your laugh makes me know that
I kill the king, kill him

(scatting)
Raze it down
they all may see you reign, I'm praying
and I get in line
and all the king's horses and all the king's men
they will all stand down
'cause they see what I see
and I know that what is heard
all get in lines, yeah

Save the world
what you do
just your laugh makes me know

I can raise the robe
oh take his throne, make it my own
oh I can take his throne
reign it __
take the rights over

Come on, come on, yeah, yeah
you burn it down
come on, come on, yeah, yeah
down to the ground

If God put in our hands
all this our
I believe that we are ___

Save the world
what you do
just your laugh makes me know that I can
kill the king, kill him

yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
down to the ground, yeah, yeah
down to the ground

burn it down
down to the ground

dsera
12-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Everyone seemed to think these were accurate when they transcribed them.

http://blogthatjanelikes.com/2006/06/07/lyrics-kill-the-king-6606/

celluloid hero
12-05-2006, 02:18 AM
I like some of the differences, some I like mine. Some is all extrapolation anyway.

Popeye2003
12-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Rob, here's what I get (using yours as reference, because I don't want to write all of it):

I'll never think that the end could be near
so bring me back
running around in a bump in the road
can we all be pride?
driving by the cross, great big pain
that's the game, they're all, they're real
I've taken by cup of the time of being
and we all rain by

You save the world
what you do
just your laugh makes me know that
I kill the king, kill him

(scatting)
Raze it down
they all may see you reign, I'm praying
and I get in line
and all the king's horses and all the king's men
they will all stand down
'cause they see what I see
and I don't like what is heard
all get in lines, yeah

Save the world
what you do
you alone can save my soul
just your laugh makes me know

that I can raise the rope
boy, I'll take his throne, make it my own
I can take his throne
reign it __
take it, I'll suffer

you burn it down
down to the ground

If God put in our hands
all this our
I believe that we are one

Save the world
what you do
just your laugh makes me know that I can
kill the king, kill him

yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah
down to the ground, yeah, yeah
down to the ground

burn it down
down to the ground

Cardinal
12-05-2006, 08:24 AM
With everything going on in that song, I guaran-damn-tee you that it's not dead. I have no doubt it's being reworked in the stuido.

Strugz10
12-05-2006, 11:32 AM
6.9 and 6.6 are the two best performances by far. 6.9 is by far my favorite though, it felt complete to me there and then it got sloppy as hell. I think they were trying to do to much at once and it got jumbled.

John Chimpo
12-05-2006, 12:26 PM
With everything going on in that song, I guaran-damn-tee you that it's not dead. I have no doubt it's being reworked in the stuido.

I have the same feeling...just hope its the right one.

slymDmB626
12-05-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm listening to live trax 6 for the first time and god damn, Idea of You sounds great with this mix. I've never enjoyed as much as I am now after hearing this mix.

bsan83
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I like 6.14 over 6.9

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wtv1pu

Tomacco
12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm listening to live trax 6 for the first time and god damn, Idea of You sounds great with this mix. I've never enjoyed as much as I am now after hearing this mix.

I love listening to it on headphones. Carter's maniac drumming going from ear to ear.

I'm listening to 6/9 KTK - I'm sure I'm not the only one, but anyone else notice the "In the Flesh" lyrics? (I've got some bad news for you, sunshine!)

lude
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
I have the same feeling...just hope its the right one.
I hope your right. That would be like GGT dieing.

Strugz10
12-06-2006, 10:24 AM
I like 6.14 over 6.9

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wtv1pu

Is this the one you posted before on UFCK that you said people should listen to?

bsan83
12-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Is this the one you posted before on UFCK that you said people should listen to?

Probably. I tend to post the same damn things over and over again. :lol

Strugz10
12-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Probably. I tend to post the same damn things over and over again. :lol

:lol

I'm just trying to remember since I liked the one you posted before.