PDA

View Full Version : Download: interview with Dave from MTV cirica 94

Yeedog
12-03-2006, 06:59 PM
here are a couple of videos that I decided to convert from an old vhs tape... They are not the best quality at all but I think it's watchable, thought maybe some of you won't think so. I don't know the exact dates but i'm guessing 94 since they seem to be promoting UTTAD.

These videos are SVCDs.... Right Click save as:

#1: Alternative Nation with Kennedy - Dave and Stefan (http://yee.is-useless.org/downloads/Alternative_Nation.mpg) ( 127MB )

#2: MTV News Segment (http://yee.is-useless.org/downloads/MTV_News.mpg) ( 40MB )

Hopefully other people will come out and convert old videos of the band as well. Even simple interviews like this are pretty cool....

raven
12-03-2006, 07:00 PM
thanks

Pete
12-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for posting these.

I've been thinking about converting some old VHS stuff of mine myself just to get rid of some cassettes.

FightTheGoodFight
12-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks.

nogerorob
12-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks byee.

Yeedog
12-03-2006, 07:15 PM

I've been thinking about converting some old VHS stuff of mine myself just to get rid of some cassettes.

You definitely should.

That's one of the reasons I converted these. I'm starting digitize alot of the things i had that wasn't already out, but at the same time of poor quality. Anything good has already been converted a while ago.

I figure i post the only version available and people at least get to see it or somebody comes out saying they have a better copy and the masses get a higher quality version to come out.

It's win win i say....

Behrend
12-03-2006, 07:45 PM
These are great -

it's so great to see Dave so young and full of piss & vigor. . .

And Kennedy's quote at the end - "I hope you sell out MSG five nights in a row. . ."

I think they could - huh?

Little did she know. . .

S

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
very cool. thanks.:upyours

Yeedog
12-03-2006, 07:56 PM
there is still a lot of stuff out there that was never converted. I have about 100-150 VHS tapes full of DMB that i need to look through some day to see if anything I have was never converted.

Jordan

well hopefully one day you'll get around to it. It's getting harder and harder to find a good vcr for vhs tape conversions where quality is important, wait too long and nobody will have the equipment to convert a vhs tape anymore.

I picked up a new SVHS vcr with a built in tbc/NR and stuff just to do some conversions from my old tapes. It has seemed to help over the $25 wallmart special vcr i was previously using.

dsera
12-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Yes, please do. I'm feening for some old school DMB.

Pete
12-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Yes, please do. I'm feening for some old school DMB.
Well, I need to see what's out there already. And most of it is 96-99, so nothing too old school. But I captured pretty much everything of note during that time, so I'll see.

dsera
12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I need to see what's out there already. And most of it is 96-99, so nothing too old school. But I captured pretty much everything of note during that time, so I'll see.
That would be awesome, thanks. :upyours

Tomacco
12-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks for that.
What a strange interview to watch. I'm always kind of bewildered by how Dave used to dress. I dunno, was 1994 that long ago? He still prattles on in just the same way in interviews though. It's really funny to see what MTV was like also. That was one strange VJ. Stefan... wow, before watching it I forgot what a kid he was in 1994. He's so shy in this. Really cool vid, thanks again.

timh.
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
thanks

:lol :lol those are two really, really effeminate men

Tomacco
12-03-2006, 08:38 PM
thanks

:lol :lol those are two really, really effeminate men

:lol Yeah, between Dave's jokes and his posture, and Stefan's Madonna sing-along...

dsera
12-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I almost forgot what Dave used to sound like when he talked. Almost completely different than he does now.

Tomacco
12-03-2006, 08:42 PM
I almost forgot what Dave used to sound like when he talked. Almost completely different than he does now.

His voice was a bit higher, but I don't think the manner of how he speaks is much different from current interviews (ex: Farm Aid this year, Leno for Winn-Dixie, etc).

dsera
12-03-2006, 08:43 PM
His voice was a bit higher, but I don't think the manner of how he speaks is much different from current interviews (ex: Farm Aid this year, Leno for Winn-Dixie, etc).
Yeah I know, I'm talking about the tone. It's much higher and there's none of that Dave scruff sound at all back then. I just find it a bit funny.

timh.
12-03-2006, 08:47 PM
i know that the way dave sounds now is largely in part to excessive smoking, and this could be completely off because i dont know much about drugs, but i've heard that heroine has a tendency to make a user's voice "shiny"... if this is true, then i assume that back in dave's drug hayday years this was one factor for his high shiny voice as seen in this interview, and the lack thereof today

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow... he's... gotta be on something.

dsera
12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Wow... he's... gotta be on something.
Because Dave never acts strange in interviews, right? :hi

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Because Dave never acts strange in interviews, right? :hi

:lol

No, but he's beyond the usual Dave weird.

timh.
12-03-2006, 09:12 PM
No, but he's beyond the usual Dave weird.

it's because he cant decide who he'd rather have sex with... stefan or kennedy

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 09:13 PM
it's because he cant decide who he'd rather have sex with... stefan or kennedy

:lol:lol

i sure did love me some kennedy...makes me feel old.:boohoo

timh.
12-03-2006, 09:22 PM
i don't think dave has ever done heroin.

seriously? i mean i dont really know what daves drug habits were back in the early 90's, i figure he was pretty fond of the pot, but i just always assumed he dabbled a bit in heroine as well given the lyrics to rhyme and reason

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Kennedy wants to bang Dave

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:23 PM

really?

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Dave was definitely fueling the gay rumors back then huh?

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:25 PM
"I'm looking forward to selling out" :lol

timh.
12-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Dave was definitely fueling the gay rumors back then huh?

the whole skeleton covered in skin look wasn't exactly helping the 'i dont really have aids' campaign either...

Carter41
12-03-2006, 09:29 PM
"I'm looking forward to selling out" :lol

:lol I honestly chuckled a little when he said that. I guess that statement makes a lot sense now, doesn't it?

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 09:33 PM

they had mushroom tea in the fridge when they were laying down stand up....batson was rolling fatty after fatty...who keeps mushroom tea in the fridge? people who do drugs. who didnt do smack and played the big stage?

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:34 PM
:lol I honestly chuckled a little when he said that. I guess that statement makes a lot sense now, doesn't it?

why's that?

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:35 PM
why's that?

Because he sold out?

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
Because he sold out?

oh.

guess i missed when that happened... :rolleyes

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:37 PM
oh.

guess i missed when that happened... :rolleyes

They must have the TRL performances on dmbontv

I think we were both joking...or at least half joking.

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:40 PM
i'm not sure i see what one has to do with the other - promoting a new album on mtv in '94 or promoting a new album on mtv in '01.

i guess i just never buy into the "dmb has sold out" point of view.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:41 PM
i'm not sure i see what one has to do with the other - promoting a new album on mtv in '94 or promoting a new album on mtv in '01.

i guess i just never buy into the "dmb has sold out" point of view.

TRL and MTV 1994 are/were very different things IMO.

again, I think we were both making a joke.

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:44 PM
TRL and MTV 1994 are/were very different things IMO.

again, I think we were both making a joke.

i get the joke part, and i agree that MTV '94 and MTV '01 are two very different things as well... but if there are certain parts of a contract they have to fulfill and maybe promoting on MTV is one of them. there wasn't a forum on MTV that existed '01 like it did in '94. the '01 forum was sadly TRL with carson.

do you feel the TRL performance was DMB "selling out"?

malachite00
12-03-2006, 09:47 PM
That whole interview with Kennedy was just ... weird. I think I'm glad I didn't have Mtv in the early 90's.

dsera
I laugh at the term "selling out". Isn't that what all musicians aspire to do when they first begin? Because you are making music you think people want to hear instead of just music you want to make isn't selling out. Sometimes you can do both. I think that's what DMB has tried to do over the years.

Mersh
i get the joke part, and i agree that MTV '94 and MTV '01 are two very different things as well... but if there are certain parts of a contract they have to fulfill and maybe promoting on MTV is one of them. there wasn't a forum on MTV that existed '01 like it did in '94.

do you feel the TRL performance was DMB "selling out"?

Eh, I think claiming 01 and ED promotion was a contractual obligation is a cop out.

Yeah, sort of...I mean DMB always had radio play and had been pretty mainstream for a while, but it was a grab at a particular audience which is something I don't think they did or went that out of their way to do in the past. Its not a big deal and obviously part of being that big is being a business, but I feel that there was an aspect of selling out in it. Its ok though, I don't hate them for it or anything.

timh.
dmb has completely sold out, but i dont care... i'd sell out too.
none of them pay for anything, taylor gives dm all the guitars he wants, as would any guitar company. for all i know they (taylor) have a luthier hand make all the guitars for him... same with carter's drums and stafans rig etc... they have pop and rap producers make their records, they are on a major label that requires them to put out 'best of' compilations, dave writes songs for mainstream movie soundtracks. they are ruled by rca and musictoday. dmb has definitely sold out in the process of allowing all these things to happen, but i dont blame them, i'd do the same thing given the chance.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:48 PM
I laugh at the term "selling out". Isn't that what all musicians aspire to do when they first begin? Because you are making music you think people want to hear instead of just music you want to make isn't selling out. Sometimes you can do both. I think that's what DMB has tried to do over the years.

I think there is a difference between being successful as a band and making money because of it and making a deliberate change in sound and grab at a certain segment of listeners. I'm in the wrong place for this debate though.

dsera
12-03-2006, 09:49 PM
I think there is a difference between being successful as a band and making money because of it and making a deliberate change in sound and grab at a certain segment of listeners. I'm in the wrong place for this debate though.
I don't see anything wrong with either.

timh.
the R&R lyrics aren't about dave, but about someone that dave watched struggle with heroin. That is why I assumed that he never did it. If he wrote a powerful song like that after watching someone struggle with heroin, i doubt he would go and try it himself.

Jordan

huh... never knew that. was this made known in an interview or something?

Mersh
I think you can be successful without giving up part of your integrity which I feel they have done a few times. This is just my opinion though.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
I don't see anything wrong with either.

Its not wrong like stealing or something, but I think it speaks to integrity. Its just a difference of opinion I guess. I liked it when it was this is what we are and those who like it gravitate toward it as opposed to lets make a grab for these people by playing this way.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 09:50 PM
But let's be fair here...MTV post '98 wasn't anything except one specific demographic, so no matter what, DMB going on there...they were promoting to a certain target audience, but also isn't MTV, for the most part, geared towards teens and young adults? No different than now. Except now, the industry has changed and so has the direction and look of MTV and VH1. I think saying DMB "selling out" on TRL is easy because it was an album that wasn't so favored and promoted on a station that hit the gutter with nothing but crap.

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:51 PM
dmb has completely sold out, but i dont care... i'd sell out too.
none of them pay for anything, taylor gives dm all the guitars he wants, as would any guitar company. for all i know they (taylor) have a luthier hand make all the guitars for him... same with carter's drums and stafans rig etc... they have pop and rap producers make their records, they are on a major label that requires them to put out 'best of' compilations, dave writes songs for mainstream movie soundtracks. they are ruled by rca and musictoday. dmb has definitely sold out in the process of allowing all these things to happen, but i dont blame them, i'd do the same thing given the chance.

wow.

so having your own signature guitars, drums, violins, etc. is "selling out" to you? having a contract with a record company is "selling out"?

i'm not sure i understand what you're saying... based on what you wrote you believe that almost every band out there basically has "sold out"?

what is your definition of "selling out"?

dsera
12-03-2006, 09:52 PM
I think you can be successful without giving up part of your integrity which I feel they have done a few times. This is just my opinion though.
And what have they done that means they gave up their integrity in your opinion?

malachite00
12-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I think "selling out" is the point at which a band does things to make money instead of because they love doing it. There aren't many bands who haven't sold out at some point on their way making it really big.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Seriously. It's amazing how some people throw around this term whenever they don't favor something. Because when you get down to it, in the end of everyone's complaints and root definitions...when any act or band signs their name on the dotted line of a major label...they technically sell out.

pgr17
12-03-2006, 09:54 PM
Eh, I think claiming 01 and ED promotion was a contractual obligation is a cop out.

Yeah, sort of...I mean DMB always had radio play and had been pretty mainstream for a while, but it was a grab at a particular audience which is something I don't think they did or went that out of their way to do in the past. Its not a big deal and obviously part of being that big is being a business, but I feel that there was an aspect of selling out in it. Its ok though, I don't hate them for it or anything.

i was giving an example of something that may have happened as i actually don't know what is in their contract... no providing them with an excuse. and to be honest, i had no problem seeing DMB on MTV/TRL. it's a band i love so seeing them on TV was fine. granted the performances weren't that great.

your second point is well taken... i guess i have a hard time labeling something "selling out" when there are things that can't be controled. i mean the Greatest Hits comp is not something that DM wants anything to do with but part of his contract they had to put it out. i don't agree that is selling out... and i feel that certain things are just - as you said - the price of doing business.

Pete
12-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't equate the change in sound to intentionally selling out. I would agree with the other half of your statement though; Tim just put it really well in that the band has allowed for a lot of it to happen. It's not an active push by the band to reach a wider audience or to make even more money, but it's being done for them.

As an aside, I remember in summer 2000 when Boyd's Twix commercial started showing up on TV. When people confirmed it was him, the 'sellout!!1' remarks flooded in. And then everyone found out he had donated the money to charity. Too funny.

groove merchant
12-03-2006, 09:56 PM
making albums like ED and SU would be the selling out part. clearly label driven material and structure....the..oh- save the jammin for the stage shit was rediculous. my short version of selling out.

Mersh
And what have they done that means they gave up their integrity in your opinion?

this isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not trying to be a dick or be the negative guy...this really was started with a less than half serious comment.

JamSession v2.0
I'm a sell out. Brandon dragged me here.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 09:57 PM
I'm a sell out. Brandon dragged me here.

:nod

Mersh
12-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't equate the change in sound to intentionally selling out. I would agree with the other half of your statement though; Tim just put it really well in that the band has allowed for a lot of it to happen. It's not an active push by the band to reach a wider audience or to make even more money, but it's being done for them.

As an aside, I remember in summer 2000 when Boyd's Twix commercial started showing up on TV. When people confirmed it was him, the 'sellout!!1' remarks flooded in. And then everyone found out he had donated the money to charity. Too funny.

Well, I guess we sort of half disagree with the first part, but as for the second we agree. They have allowed a lot to just happen IMO.

for the record I don't consider commercials or all album promotion to be selling out. I don't even consider selling out to be that horrible most of the time either.

dsera
12-03-2006, 10:00 PM
this isn't going to go anywhere. I'm not trying to be a dick or be the negative guy...this really was started with a less than half serious comment.I'm not picking a fight and I didn't think you were trying to be a dick. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on that comment, that's all.

timh.
wow.

so having your own signature guitars, drums, violins, etc. is "selling out" to you? having a contract with a record company is "selling out"?

i'm not sure i understand what you're saying... based on what you wrote you believe that almost every band out there basically has "sold out"?

yes... by my definition every single band that has been on a major label and has the status to acquire thousands upon thousands of dollars of free equipment and clothing based on the perception by the company giving them the free stuff that the individuals would be great marketing for their product has sold out in one way or another... basically any band on a major label has sold out because what they are essentially doing is letting a label buy their name. a major label isnt going to put on a band unless they think that they can market them to a certain audience that will bring in the $$$, the minute that any preformer allows this to happen is selling out because they are contractually imposing themselves to whatever value or marketing strategy the record company intends for them to be, and they (the bands) are being compensated for it.

JamSession v2.0
:nod

You know... I think my post count has actually gone down over the last day.

dsera
12-03-2006, 10:01 PM
You know... I think my post count has actually gone down over the last day.
It's because Brandon keeps deleting your posts.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Seriously. It's amazing how some people throw around this term whenever they don't favor something. Because when you get down to it, in the end of everyone's complaints and root definitions...when any act or band signs their name on the dotted line of a major label...they technically sell out.

I don't think it is an unreasonale opinion that only exists because some people don't like somthing. That is sort of just brushing people's thoughts aside and claiming its all sour grapes. I'm not looking to get the axe here, but I think people are taking the comment the wrong way or at least way too negatively (which is understandalbe because sell out has such a negative connotation).

bbycrei
12-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks a lot there Brian

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:03 PM
It's because Brandon keeps deleting your posts.

Nah, it's just because I bring too much rock to one board.

dsera
12-03-2006, 10:07 PM
Nah, it's just because I bring too much rock to one board.:blah:blah:blah

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I'm not picking a fight and I didn't think you were trying to be a dick. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on that comment, that's all.

I think we might be defining sell out differently. I don't consider being successful and making money selling out.

dsera
12-03-2006, 10:10 PM
I think we might be defining sell out differently. I don't consider being successful and making money selling out.
Neither do I. Not even a little.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:11 PM
and it really was a joke.:lol

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:11 PM
:blah:blah:blah

:(

Anyway...

I personally don't think the band has ever sold out in the traditional sense. They are still very loyal to their fanbase and they haven't turned their backs on us. There have been changes in course and whatnot, but as fans, we certainly haven't been ditched.

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:12 PM
And Stefan has always sounded like a little girl. That makes me :lol

Mersh

Anyway...

I personally don't think the band has ever sold out in the traditional sense. They are still very loyal to their fanbase and they haven't turned their backs on us. There have been changes in course and whatnot, but as fans, we certainly haven't been ditched.

you better hope more people start buying LT7

wink

dsera

Anyway...

:lol I was just kidding with the :blah.

I don't think they've turned their backs on us either but I know plenty of people on here might disagree with that.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
I don't think it is an unreasonale opinion that only exists because some people don't like somthing. That is sort of just brushing people's thoughts aside and claiming its all sour grapes. I'm not looking to get the axe here, but I think people are taking the comment the wrong way or at least way too negatively (which is understandalbe because sell out has such a negative connotation).

Well, my main reason for that claim is because of DMB appearing on TRL, when in reality...what has MTV had in the dept. of quality around that time? Had DMB appeared in an interview with Kurt Loader in '99 promoting ED, it wouldn't have been deemed a sell out move. All I'm saying is that no matter where DMB would have shown up on MTV, it still would have made them look like a sell out. TRL is just the biggest market push MTV has now-a-days, sadly, so I would kinda put a little stock into Phil's idea of the record label's strategy.

Or you could even flip it, what if DMB had shown up on TRL in '01 promoting the LWS, instead of ED and played Monkey Man and Grey St? Would we still consider that a sell out move? I don't think so.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:13 PM
:lol I was just kidding with the :blah.

I don't think they've turned their backs on us either but I know plenty of people on here might disagree with that.

I don't think they've turned their backs on us...when ticket sales start to dip they start to play all the classics we love.

that was a joke too.

dsera
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
I don't think they've turned their backs on us...when ticket sales start to dip they start to play all the classics we love.

that was a joke too.
:lol :ass

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Well, my main reason for that claim is because of DMB appearing on TRL, when in reality...what has MTV had in the dept. of quality around that time? Had DMB appeared in an interview with Kurt Loader in '99 promoting ED, it wouldn't have been deemed a sell out move. All I'm saying is that no matter where DMB would have shown up on MTV, it still would have made them look like a sell out. TRL is just the biggest market push MTV has now-a-days, sadly, so I would kinda put a little stock into Phil's idea of the record label's strategy.

I guess to me a band as big as they were back then and are now should have a little more power when it comes to this stuff with their label, but they sort of just do whatever. Its not a huge deal, just an opinion.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM

that was a joke too.

Or, when fans demand those songs to return they appease us by doing so ('03, '05, '06). Now, having those songs stick around is another discussion in and of itself.

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:16 PM
you better hope more people start buying LT7

wink

Yeah... better start saving those pennies and nickels.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:19 PM
Or, when fans demand those songs to return they appease us by doing so ('03, '05, '06). Now, having those songs stick around is another discussion in and of itself.

it was just a joke

but yeah, it is.

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I wonder how many more times Mersh needs to say it to impart upon our fragile little minds that it was indeed a joke. :lol

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I wonder how many more times Mersh needs to say it to impart upon our fragile little minds that it was indeed a joke. :lol

He dosn't want to get teh axe.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:25 PM

Because many times it seems, like this post for example, that I am taken the wrong way. I never said or implied anyone here has a fragile little mind, but it is taken that way. It seemed like people didn't see that I was being stupid and making a dumb joke that gets made many times so I needed to keep saying it.

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:26 PM
Because many times it seems, like this post for example, that I am taken the wrong way. I never said or implied anyone here has a fragile little mind, but it is taken that way. It seemed like people didn't see that I was being stupid and making a dumb joke that gets made many times so I needed to keep saying it.
I really wasn't trying to go for that, but :lol

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:27 PM

I don't...I don't want to get the being negative just to be negative label.

JamSession v2.0

:rant :rant I demand heads on pikes!

Mersh
I really wasn't trying to go for that, but :lol

ok, see what I mean

Mersh
this is awesome.

Fan#41
12-03-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't...I don't want to get the being negative just to be negative label.

No need to stomp out fires before they even arise my friend. ;)

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:29 PM
ok, see what I mean
Be explicit, son. Tell me what you mean.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:30 PM
fair enough, but its not like I am new here or that we don't have a bit of a tense history.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Be explicit, son. Tell me what you mean.

go fuck yourself

is that explicit enough?

JamSession v2.0
12-03-2006, 10:31 PM
go fuck yourself

is that explicit enough?

I got the strangest urge to walk up to Pat Leahy in the Senate chambers and say that like Jimmy Stewart playing Jefferson Smith.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:32 PM
I got the strangest urge to walk up to Pat Leahy in the Senate chambers and say that like Jimmy Stewart playing Jefferson Smith.

Mersh
12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
alright, I'm out...take it easy everyone.

nolan8or
12-04-2006, 12:08 AM
that interview with dave and stefan is hilarious

piccolo

Crush87
12-04-2006, 12:45 AM
sell out

Crush87
12-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Holy shit, that second vid just goes to show you what kind of amazing live footage is out there that we'll probably never get. Thanks for this :upyours

Fan#41
12-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Holy shit, that second vid just goes to show you what kind of amazing live footage is out there that we'll probably never get. Thanks for this :upyours

I believe some of it's just the raw(and unused) footage from the Fox Theatre, CO show in '94 that was used for the WWYS video.

Crush87
12-04-2006, 12:55 AM
I believe some of it's just the raw(and unused) footage from the Fox Theatre, CO show in '94 that was used for the WWYS video.

Either way, Id fucking love to have that :upyours

Fan#41
12-04-2006, 12:58 AM
Either way, Id fucking love to have that :upyours

Same here. It's like look at all that old footage from the Driven video from VH1. Good lord some of that shit I would love to get my hands on. Like those old Dave solo or D&T videos? Man, that'd be so sweet to get. And they're out there too. Wasn't VH1 looking for old fan footage while they were putting together that segement for Driven? I doubt that all came from the band, so SOMEONE has to have it.

Crush87
12-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Same here. It's like look at all that old footage from the Driven video from VH1. Good lord some of that shit I would love to get my hands on. Like those old Dave solo or D&T videos? Man, that'd be so sweet to get. And they're out there too. Wasn't VH1 looking for old fan footage while they were putting together that segement for Driven? I doubt that all came from the band, so SOMEONE has to have it.

Exactly, i mean its just crazy to think of what's out there that no one ever knew about. And theres even more and more upon that, the Driven vids are just a portion of all that. And its not all just scraps that they put together. That one vid of the Dave solo show in black and white was really crisp, just an example. Besides the obvious desire for a great new album, I think what I'd most enjoy from the band at this point is some '93-'97 vids.
And yea a lot of it is fanbased which is odd, but you have to figure the band has quite a bit. I remember that interview when Dave commented on the whole band watching a video of a show from Trax when Fullerton walked on stage...they have a lot in their possession too

greykitkat36
12-04-2006, 01:06 AM
:lol :lol
Wow. That is one awkward interview. And one annoying chick.

Fan#41
12-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Exactly, i mean its just crazy to think of what's out there that no one ever knew about. And theres even more and more upon that, the Driven vids are just a portion of all that. And its not all just scraps that they put together. That one vid of the Dave solo show in black and white was really crisp, just an example. Besides the obvious desire for a great new album, I think what I'd most enjoy from the band at this point is some '93-'97 vids.
And yea a lot of it is fanbased which is odd, but you have to figure the band has quite a bit. I remember that interview when Dave commented on the whole band watching a video of a show from Trax when Fullerton walked on stage...they have a lot in their possession too

What I'd really love to get my hands on is all the "behind the scenes" footage they've gathered since the '96 tour, which is when Dave started mentioning all the cameras on the buses and backstage and what not.

Imagine a 20 year anniversary DVD package with classic pro shot footage from various shows over the years, ranging from '96 to now. Then, as an added bonus we get a mix of old backstage and behind the scenes footage, much like what we saw with the Back The Alexandria documentary. That kinda stuff always gives us so much insight to certain things about the band and certain choices they made and affects that certain decisions had, whether it be over setlists or guests or whatever.

greykitkat36
12-04-2006, 01:12 AM
What I'd really love to get my hands on is all the "behind the scenes" footage they've gathered since the '96 tour, which is when Dave started mentioning all the cameras on the buses and backstage and what not.

Imagine a 20 year anniversary DVD package with classic pro shot footage from various shows over the years, ranging from '96 to now. Then, as an added bonus we get a mix of old backstage and behind the scenes footage, much like what we saw with the Back The Alexandria documentary. That kinda stuff always gives us so much insight to certain things about the band and certain choices they made and affects that certain decisions had, whether it be over setlists or guests or whatever.

:upyours

Wow, that would be great.
I am very interetsed in knowing how DMB made decisions on guests and songs to cut off albums..and even what their touring life was like. That would def. be something I would purchase.

Crush87
12-04-2006, 01:16 AM

I just don't know how realistic it is to think those sort of things will ever see the light of day. I mean yea maybe 20 years after all this is said and done, but by then I'm sure I won't care as much

dsera
12-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Live Trax DVD collection :rawk

Fan#41
12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I just don't know how realistic it is to think those sort of things will ever see the light of day. I mean yea maybe 20 years after all this is said and done, but by then I'm sure I won't care as much

We know they archive all that stuff, and I think someday soon audio DL's will have completely lost their luster, and since DMB is a money machine(atleast the management anyway) then I could see some video footage start to replace the market for audio DL's(Live Trax for example) at some point. I don't think it will be tomorrow, or even in a year or two, but I think it's a venture that will surely make them money and I def see it happening one day.

Crush87
12-04-2006, 01:26 AM
We know they archive all that stuff, and I think someday soon audio DL's will have completely lost their luster, and since DMB is a money machine(atleast the management anyway) then I could see some video footage start to replace the market for audio DL's(Live Trax for example) at some point. I don't think it will be tomorrow, or even in a year or two, but I think it's a venture that will surely make them money and I def see it happening one day.

Youre definately right, its been mentioned that some day those live video feeds will be released, but as far as really old footage goes, I just think they sometimes put a time restriction on those sort of things, and sadly theyre only ever pushed when theres nothing else left. What's the poin in that? I don't know

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 07:02 AM
:lol :lol
Wow. That is one awkward interview. And one annoying chick.

I'd fuck the hell out of Kennedy.