PDA

View Full Version : Here's The Real Question (CollegeFootballC):

Ledge
12-04-2006, 05:05 AM
Who would be playing on January 8th had Michigan beat OSU last month?

To me it's an absolute no brainer.

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 08:16 AM
It seems awfully stupid to me that two teams from the same conference could compete in a title game.

Ledge
12-04-2006, 09:11 AM
It seems awfully stupid to me that two teams from the same conference could compete in a title game.

Even if they are the best two teams in the country?

mrchattr
12-04-2006, 09:57 AM
This whole thing has shown me how stupid the BCS system is (not for the first time, either). If it's true that Florida is better than Michigan, then it should have showed in the polls right after Michigan lost to OSU. If it, at that time, had been :
OSU - USC - Florida - Michigan
Then I could accept all this. But it wasn't. Then, when USC went down, people started bitching about a rematch, and suddenly Florida leapfrogged Michigan, and people were giving a ton of reasons why...but the fact remains that if those reasons were valid, they would have shown up before the final poll.

Ledge
12-04-2006, 10:07 AM
This whole thing has shown me how stupid the BCS system is (not for the first time, either). If it's true that Florida is better than Michigan, then it should have showed in the polls right after Michigan lost to OSU. If it, at that time, had been :
OSU - USC - Florida - Michigan
Then I could accept all this. But it wasn't. Then, when USC went down, people started bitching about a rematch, and suddenly Florida leapfrogged Michigan, and people were giving a ton of reasons why...but the fact remains that if those reasons were valid, they would have shown up before the final poll.

Exactly. And had OSU lost by three, they would undoubtedly been #2 in the following poll. More likely than not, they would have stayed their regardless of the outcomes of the Florida and USC games as they have had more of the "glamor" all year.

Strugz10
12-04-2006, 12:52 PM
BCS is good in theory, terrible in practice.

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 01:05 PM
there are a lot of things that i like about the bcs. again you have to look at the entire season as a long playoff system. my problem is that michigan didnt do anything to lose their number 2 rank, yet still lost it. but yes to sum up how it currently is... good in theory, bad in practice.

Guyute
12-04-2006, 02:37 PM
So the National Championship game is January 8th? Hasn't the argument against a playoffs always been that it would extend the season too long?

Anyone else wondering if maybe they're pushing the date back in order to prepare for a playoffs system in the future?

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 02:44 PM
So the National Championship game is January 8th? Hasn't the argument against a playoffs always been that it would extend the season too long?

Anyone else wondering if maybe they're pushing the date back in order to prepare for a playoffs system in the future?

there will never be a playoff system, thats always been the date.

Guyute
12-04-2006, 02:56 PM
I could have sworn last year it was on the 4th, but maybe I'm getting old and forgetful :sad

Wescoast
12-04-2006, 03:02 PM
hmm was last years championship the rose bowl? cuz youre right that was the 4th i know. regardless, i just dont think there is any chance of a playoff system.

Guyute
12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
I hope you're wrong. Every year, there is an outcry for it, but it never happens. It's obviously tied up with bowl sponsorships and money, but I can't see any reason why they don't just take the bowl games and make them the sites of the playoff rounds if that's the reasoning. They'd probably get more competition for sponsorship if the other bowl games actually meant something.

JWood
12-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Actually, anyone who said Ohio State vs. Michigan is wrong. As of November 17th (the day before the game) the National Championship game would have been Michigan vs. Rutgers. Because of OSU's lack of strength of schedule, they would have had a very hard time getting back into this game.

FishMonkeyMan
12-04-2006, 03:55 PM
ok well if you want to play that game if usc hadnt blown it this weekend to ucla of all teams, would this conversation even be happening?

JWood
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
ok well if you want to play that game if usc hadnt blown it this weekend to ucla of all teams, would this conversation even be happening?

That's true too, I was thinking that as I read this thread.

JWood
12-04-2006, 04:35 PM
Although, I think he was referring to everything else staying the same, and that game being the only one changed.

bretm26
12-04-2006, 05:10 PM

Was down in Atlanta for the SEC Title game this weekend (UF grad) and at our hotel bar after the game we had a chance to speak at length with the President of the Sugar Bowl. He said that this added game is a setup for a different system and that he believes there will most likely be the plus one system in place after one more bowl cycle. This year is the first year of a new cycle so no big changes will take place for at least 3 years beyond this one.

kyle1kyle1
12-04-2006, 09:55 PM
florida

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Even if they are the best two teams in the country?

That train of thought has no weight in my mind... look at professional sports. By and large, it's the champions of whatever division, except for hockey, which just has another season.

GreyStHokie
12-04-2006, 11:35 PM
if ifs, ands, and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas.

and OSU would be in there.

FishMonkeyMan
12-05-2006, 12:29 AM
and if michael vick hadnt screwed over syracuse and gone to VT, destroying the syraucse football program, the big east would still be a powerhouse and the orangemen (as they still would be) would still be a top 20 team.

GreyStHokie
12-05-2006, 10:18 PM
and if michael vick hadnt screwed over syracuse and gone to VT, destroying the syraucse football program, the big east would still be a powerhouse and the orangemen (as they still would be) would still be a top 20 team.
vick went to VT because ronald curry committed to uva..otherwise vick would have been at uva..thank god curry committed early to uva..if he had originally committed to unc, vick would have probably been a wahoo