A hundred times
She said
A thousand time
She said
She said

I <3 AB Intro.

Popeye2003
12-04-2006, 07:35 AM
Simplest song ever, and it kicks major ass.

bsan83
12-04-2006, 07:38 AM
People make fun of "OMG THAT'S A SONG!" and yet probably the most well-liked Stand Up "song" by folks on here is something that's 4 notes, two lines, and a lot of screaming.

dsera
12-04-2006, 07:48 AM
People make fun of "OMG THAT'S A SONG!" and yet probably the most well-liked Stand Up "song" by folks on here is something that's 4 notes, two lines, and a lot of screaming.
Yet these same people want to bitch about Break Free lyrics.

TheSniper26
12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Not a fan of this one. It almost sounds silly with all the screaming.

dsera
12-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Not a fan of this one. It almost sounds silly with all the screaming.
Silly? Have you actually seen this song live?

TheSniper26
12-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Yeah I've seen it. It just came off as very shallow. Almost like "Hey the one thing Dave can do really well right now is scream, so let's have at it for a few minutes". There are no lyrics. It's just 4 notes with Boyd sawing over it a little. To call it a song seems like a very loose interpretation of the word "song" to me.

bsan83
12-04-2006, 08:08 AM

Well..... they are pretty eek....

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 08:11 AM
It's not that the Break Free lyrics are bad, per se... it's just they could be better.

dsera
12-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Well..... they are pretty eek....:bitchslap :lol

It's not that the Break Free lyrics are bad, per se... it's just they could be better.Well sure they could be better. So could AB Intro lyrics.

snidelywhiplash
12-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah I've seen it. It just came off as very shallow. Almost like "Hey the one thing Dave can do really well right now is scream, so let's have at it for a few minutes". There are no lyrics. It's just 4 notes with Boyd sawing over it a little. To call it a song seems like a very loose interpretation of the word "song" to me.

Shallow....hmmmmmm. But how about trying to "solve" the lyrics.....who is "she", and what did she "say"...????? To whom did she say it?

I can't take credit for this interpretation, and cannot recall just where this was first proposed.....only that the gang I met up w/ @ Randall's this year discussed this:

"She" is a mother. She is/was speaking to her son. She told him NOT to enlist in the service.....she told him a thousand times. He didn't listen. The song is being sung after he did enlist, then went to the front line, and then was killed.

Who knows if this is what the writer intended, but I have to say that every time I've seen and heard this song since discussing this "theory", it comes off as so incredibly heartfelt and intense. Passion isn't a strong enough description...posessed almost fits.....anguish may describe it best. An anguished wail of terror and pain. Hard to say who the speaker is - maybe the husband/dad......

I do have to say that even before this explanation, this song moved me - the passion in the wailing always came off as meaningful, and far, far from shallow. Much more than mere "yelling to yell".

Just some thoughts. No proof, but this personal interpretation (with the help of a "suggested" meaning) has brought the song to a great place for me in my mind....and that's what defines great songwriting- giving the listener strong feelings in some way. But still, to each his own. Art will always be a personalized form. For me, this song delivers.

Are there any other theories on the background of the characters in this song? Who said what to whom?

Scott

soups
12-04-2006, 09:27 AM
I think the "she" in the song is Hellen Keller. I think the word she's saying over and over is "catfood." She is struggling to pronounce the word right becuase she cannot see or hear, and nobody can understand her when she tries to get the point across that she wants to feed her cat, whose name is "Guuuhgaaahh"

tradedmb
12-04-2006, 09:32 AM
All I know is I love AB intro, Red rocks night 4 rocked!!

akleiner34
12-04-2006, 09:53 AM

:hi

Ledge
12-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Shallow....hmmmmmm. But how about trying to "solve" the lyrics.....who is "she", and what did she "say"...????? To whom did she say it?

I can't take credit for this interpretation, and cannot recall just where this was first proposed.....only that the gang I met up w/ @ Randall's this year discussed this:

"She" is a mother. She is/was speaking to her son. She told him NOT to enlist in the service.....she told him a thousand times. He didn't listen. The song is being sung after he did enlist, then went to the front line, and then was killed.

Who knows if this is what the writer intended, but I have to say that every time I've seen and heard this song since discussing this "theory", it comes off as so incredibly heartfelt and intense. Passion isn't a strong enough description...posessed almost fits.....anguish may describe it best. An anguished wail of terror and pain. Hard to say who the speaker is - maybe the husband/dad......

I do have to say that even before this explanation, this song moved me - the passion in the wailing always came off as meaningful, and far, far from shallow. Much more than mere "yelling to yell".

Just some thoughts. No proof, but this personal interpretation (with the help of a "suggested" meaning) has brought the song to a great place for me in my mind....and that's what defines great songwriting- giving the listener strong feelings in some way. But still, to each his own. Art will always be a personalized form. For me, this song delivers.

Are there any other theories on the background of the characters in this song? Who said what to whom?

Scott

:hi Hey Scott. We need to do another Mets game next summer with the crew again.

celluloid hero
12-04-2006, 10:25 AM
well I guess it's a better post than just: "lyric - thumbs up" like the rest of your posts. At least you elaborated enough to include "I heart AB Intro"

monkey
12-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I think the "she" in the song is Hellen Keller. I think the word she's saying over and over is "catfood." She is struggling to pronounce the word right becuase she cannot see or hear, and nobody can understand her when she tries to get the point across that she wants to feed her cat, whose name is "Guuuhgaaahh"

I thought the same thing

Tomacco
12-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Sadly, I'm definitely not as into this song as I was in 2005. I still adore the flute version and RRn4's, but no version since than has done much for me.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 11:07 AM
aug 19th 2005 the gorge. AB intro

i can remember looking up at some point from the 20th row center and dave had that one foot in front of the other thing going on....all hell was breaking loose...fucking incredible. pure fucking magic. :rawk

TheSniper26
12-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Dave's obnoxious screaming is a gimmick they're falling back on way too much anymore. He crowbars it into every other song now.

FERRALL
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
On a similar note I was listening to this earlier today, its in itunes format, sorry:

What She Said Jam-(6.7.05):
http://download.yousendit.com/64C9073A398A116A

Strugz10
12-04-2006, 11:11 AM
This song will not have the longevity of most DMB songs. I'm already sick of it.

Tomacco
12-04-2006, 11:33 AM

i can remember looking up at some point from the 20th row center and dave had that one foot in front of the other thing going on....all hell was breaking loose...fucking incredible. pure fucking magic. :rawk

That was the first one I saw live, and I agree it was awesome.
I only saw it this year as a prelude to Two Step. I think I prefer it mid-set.

Nova Scotia
12-04-2006, 11:53 AM
it would be great to get the point of the song across without the screaming. 06 was the year of the horse, dragon, and small car living in dave's throat.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 12:54 PM
That was the first one I saw live, and I agree it was awesome.
I only saw it this year as a prelude to Two Step. I think I prefer it mid-set.

i am currently getting a DL ready from the 8.19.05 show. its from a non circulated source. row 18 center.

pgr17
12-04-2006, 12:55 PM

that was a fun group of shows and another great gorge experience. i know what you mean about that AB Intro and it's placement :upyours

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 12:58 PM
that was a fun group of shows and another great gorge experience. i know what you mean about that AB Intro and it's placement :upyours

good good times...per normal at the gorge. :upyours well almost per normal.

timh.
12-04-2006, 12:59 PM
if dave were to give up this song and smoking maybe dave would be able to sing songs like spoon

akleiner34
12-04-2006, 01:23 PM
if dave were to give up this song and smoking maybe dave would be able to sing songs like spoon

Yeah, maybe but they're still not going to play it. Carter will get sad.

willndmb
12-04-2006, 01:39 PM
i think it sucks

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 01:42 PM
i think it sucks

:phan :banana

IPeeInTheShower
12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

:lol :lol :lol

I wish I could think of things like this.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 02:12 PM
AB intro.
8.19.05 the gorge
taper: mark severson
row18 dead center

http://www.mediafire.com/?3z2uztzmj0t

This source was never circulated as far as i know. last conversation i had with mark he said he was looking into dreaming tree. If this source was posted he never told me about it. It is a nice pull from the center and mark sent me all 3 nights on CD a month after the show. In september 05 i asked him if i could share his pull and he said sure thing. this is not the best pull from that night but certainly not the worst...damn fine if you ask me. :upyours i think i sent a few tracks to cristina back in 05 during my ants days...cant remember.

Popeye2003
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Thing is, AB Intro suffers from lack of lyrics. Break Free suffers from bad, bad lyrics.

:D

alexbunke
12-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Brazil you are silly.

JUburton
12-04-2006, 02:29 PM
Break Free and ABIntro can't really be compared. They're really focused on different things. I'd take the 4 words in ABIntro over however many words are in Break Free's terrible lyrics anyway.

Jack
12-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Well..... they are pretty eek....

yup, some of the break free lyrics get filed under cringe.

greykitkat36
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't understand the obsession with ABI. Four notes, Dave screams. That's it. Boyd plays pretty much the same thing....aside from Carter's kickass groove..there isn't much about this song that I like.

Symphony of DEATH
12-04-2006, 02:36 PM
This is by far my favorite version of this song from Coors 2005.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 02:50 PM
This is by far my favorite version of this song from Coors 2005. Check it our for yourself

http://stage6.divx.com/The_Last_Stop/show_video/1049939

yep coors was cool.:banana

dsera
12-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I didn't get this song until I saw it live. I thought the same thing about it being just a song that Dave screams during. I'm a big fan of the wail so I wasn't thrilled with this.....but oh my god. Live Dave brings it home on the intensity and emotion. I can't deny how cool it was.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I didn't get this song until I saw it live. I thought the same thing about it being just a song that Dave screams during. I'm a big fan of the wail so I wasn't thrilled with this.....but oh my god. Live Dave brings it home on the intensity and emotion. I can't deny how cool it was.
:hidid you DL the link from 8.19.05 i posted? just curious about what you thought on the pull.

dsera
12-04-2006, 03:43 PM
:hidid you DL the link from 8.19.05 i posted? just curious about what you thought on the pull.
I didn't because I have all the 05 shows. For me, the memory is better than the playback. ;)

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I didn't because I have all the 05 shows. For me, the memory is better than the playback. ;)

yeah i hear ya...it was just a different pull than the usual suspects. thats all.

dsera
12-04-2006, 03:45 PM
yeah i hear ya...it was just a different pull than the usual suspects. thats all.
Well then I'll check it out. ATM I'm listening to all my YNK versions to see which is my favorite.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 03:46 PM
oh thats easy...7.9.03^^^^^^

dsera
12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
oh thats easy...7.9.03^^^^^^
That is my current favorite but 1. it's the best SBD version and 2. I didn't have all the others to compare until recently.

Cardinal
12-04-2006, 03:51 PM
I know what it's like to be dead
I know what it is to be sad
And she's making me feel like I've never been born

ssdmbfan
12-04-2006, 04:09 PM
I love this song as well and wouldn't complain if I got it at every show I went to. The darkness and the intensity of this song is amazing.

The 7.21.05 Riverbend show sucked balls, but ABI from that night was one of the best performances I've ever witnessed from this band in 42 shows. I had no idea at the time it started what we were in for. I was at 6.7.05, so I thought maybe it'd be similar, but then the slow build up started kicking in and it was ON!

I still get chills from it and love Roi right at the end of the climax. The 7.23.05 Alpine version is also great, but RRn4 is awesome and Coors '05 is incredible.

As for the interpretation, I'm guessing we'll never know for sure, but I always liked to think that Dave went to his retro-writing style and that ABI was a Halloween'esque type of song. :ponder

What did she say to him 100/1,000 times? "I love you," but then she dumped his ass and he's pissed and that gave us another great, intense song. She told him how much she loved him over and over again, but then she left him.

last72stop
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
i think that the bad lyrics argument isnt very valid...IMO there are only a handful of DMB songs that have "good" lyrics--but personally, im not really into the band for the lyrics

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 04:48 PM
That is my current favorite but 1. it's the best SBD version and 2. I didn't have all the others to compare until recently.

well if you run into something better let me in on it.:rawk

KaraL
12-04-2006, 05:15 PM
This song was enjoyable in 2005. It sounded completely forced and was a waste of time in 2006.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
This song was enjoyable in 2005. It sounded completely forced and was a waste of time in 2006.
thats what happens when you rely on memmory instead of passion. i dont know...what i saw live was some of the best DMB in action ive seen since 92. not so much dave screaming (although when he hit it, it was chilling) but the balls out throwing it down is just incredible.

TheNoise
12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
i enjoyed the couple versions from 05 that roi used the flute on.

KaraL
12-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm really shocked so many of you like this song because so many of you roll your eyes at Dave's screaming for no reason in pretty much every song these days.

JamSession v2.0
12-04-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm really shocked so many of you like this song because so many of you roll your eyes at Dave's screaming for no reason in pretty much every song these days.

I'm sorry he wouldn't break out the machine guns...

:rolleyes

BajaSpyder
12-04-2006, 06:36 PM

:lol

Before randalls night1 this year, I had the "pleasure" of smoking (took 1 hit out of a bat) with some crazy ass motherfucker who wouldnt shut up (not before me smoking nor after). Anyways, he wouldnt stop rappin about the whole "She said" line - kept on saying it was about Dave's original girlfriend and how he kept on proposing and she kept on saying no yada yada yada...

Anyways, that single hit put me in another world for well over an hour, which leads me to believe two things: first, that wasnt 'pot' I smoked and second, that perhaps in some drug-induced moment of clarity, this dopehead wasnt too far off the mark...

thought?

captainbluntmofo
12-04-2006, 07:43 PM
Dave's obnoxious screaming is a gimmick they're falling back on way too much anymore. He crowbars it into every other song now.

It is still a fun spectacle for me.

captainbluntmofo
12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Some dude teaching it on piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZlq0IBW50

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
:lol

Before randalls night1 this year, I had the "pleasure" of smoking (took 1 hit out of a bat) with some crazy ass motherfucker who wouldnt shut up (not before me smoking nor after). Anyways, he wouldnt stop rappin about the whole "She said" line - kept on saying it was about Dave's original girlfriend and how he kept on proposing and she kept on saying no yada yada yada...

Anyways, that single hit put me in another world for well over an hour, which leads me to believe two things: first, that wasnt 'pot' I smoked and second, that perhaps in some drug-induced moment of clarity, this dopehead wasnt too far off the mark...

thought?

halloween part 2? what ever it is ...dave sure gets worked up over it. lets not forget its the american baby intro...so that would nix the stoner guys thoughts.:whatever

bidroc
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Best version ever 11/30/05
At the beginning where he mumbles...said she told me...

malachite00
12-04-2006, 08:07 PM
halloween part 2? what ever it is ...dave sure gets worked up over it. lets not forget its the american baby intro...so that would nix the stoner guys thoughts.:whatever

I prefer to think of it as ABI, and that American Baby was never written. The two songs just don't go together in any way for me.

I like the stoner guy's interpretation - Dave's painful break-up gives us yet another great song!

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I prefer to think of it as ABI, and that American Baby was never written. The two songs just don't go together in any way for me.

I like the stoner guy's interpretation - Dave's painful break-up gives us yet another great song!

yep. i hear ya. maybe we will get a reworked version in 07.:banana

celluloid hero
12-04-2006, 08:47 PM

They do both musically and theoretically. On the Australian promo disc sent for the 05 Aussie tour, Intro fades into AB it actually sounds really nice. I'm not sure why they broke them apart, but even the second of silence doesn't mean separation. Plus they are both social statements. Intro with the war sounds is what Dave sees America representing right now, AB about staying what being American is about it.

bsan83
12-04-2006, 08:49 PM

American Baby is a solid song, particularly live. No reason to think of that having never been written.

ssdmbfan
12-04-2006, 08:50 PM
As for the interpretation, I'm guessing we'll never know for sure, but I always liked to think that Dave went to his retro-writing style and that ABI was a Halloween'esque type of song. :ponder

What did she say to him 100/1,000 times? "I love you," but then she dumped his ass and he's pissed and that gave us another great, intense song. She told him how much she loved him over and over again, but then she left him.

Anyways, he wouldnt stop rappin about the whole "She said" line - kept on saying it was about Dave's original girlfriend and how he kept on proposing and she kept on saying no yada yada yada...

thought?

Weird, I've always thought this and posted back in '05 about it on ufck...and I'm not even a stoner. :lol I guess I should be! I just always thought for there to be THAT much passion into the song, it had to be about heartbreak!

Popeye2003
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Brazil you are silly.
I've been told.

malachite00
12-04-2006, 09:16 PM
American Baby is a solid song, particularly live. No reason to think of that having never been written.

I've never been a fan of AB. The lyrics are ok, but the song itself is just kind of boring to me (live and studio).

Weird, I've always thought this and posted back in '05 about it on ufck...and I'm not even a stoner. :lol I guess I should be! I just always thought for there to be THAT much passion into the song, it had to be about heartbreak!

:upyours Agreed. I'm not buying that its a war song. When a song is sung with that kind of emotion, it just seems like it has to be about something that had a very personal effect on him.

celluloid hero
12-04-2006, 09:25 PM
:upyours Agreed. I'm not buying that its a war song. When a song is sung with that kind of emotion, it just seems like it has to be about something that had a very personal effect on him.

but it was written before he was screaming like that. Not like a year later when he starts going crazy live that that changes the meaning of the song.

dsera
12-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Some people are just ridiculous in this thread.

groove merchant
12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Some people are just ridiculous in this thread.

:lmao:lmao:lmao

my thoughts as well....ah good shit.

kaisek
12-04-2006, 11:22 PM
he starts to say something on the album after the she saids, then it just fades.

lude
12-05-2006, 10:39 AM
This song will not have the longevity of most DMB songs. I'm already sick of it.That's how I'm feeling. I'm not sick of it yet but I'm likely to skip it now where as it was a favorite before.

BeQuietAndDrive
12-05-2006, 10:56 AM
The screaming is completely unnecessary.

JamSession v2.0
12-05-2006, 11:07 AM
The screaming is completely unnecessary.

I disagree. Given the emotion within the music itself, I think that the screaming is an essential component of the song.

groove merchant
12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
I disagree. Given the emotion within the music itself, I think that the screaming is an essential component of the song.

agreed. however its much nicer when the 'screaming' is placed right and adds to the flow instead if interupting it.

JUburton
12-05-2006, 01:21 PM
Some screaming is fine, but the last 2 screams in the WotR version are completely unnecessary. They add absolutely nothing except scar tissue to his throat.

ggies
12-05-2006, 01:44 PM
its nice live, but do any of y'all realize the song is center around Dave's screaming now? The band(sep. Carter) doesn't build up the music part till dave starts screaming.

Go listen to the very first live version, there's no screaming. They build the music up perfectly and its brilliant, screaming is not neccesary.

ssdmbfan
12-05-2006, 01:50 PM
its nice live, but do any of y'all realize the song is center around Dave's screaming now? The band(sep. Carter) doesn't build up the music part till dave starts screaming.

Go listen to the very first live version, there's no screaming. They build the music up perfectly and its brilliant, screaming is not neccesary.

Yeah, I think that's why I tend to like the 7.21.05 and 7.23.05 versions better than most of the others. It just builds for so long and you know it's eventually going to blow the roof off the place. I still love it though.

orbs35
12-05-2006, 02:07 PM

Scott

do people actually think about this kind of stuff?

TheSniper26
12-05-2006, 02:14 PM
The screaming or wailing or whatever you want to call it, would have a lot more meaning and seem more passionate if it wasn't something he squeezed into every other song now. Besides, on this one, it's just screaming. This might seem contradictory, but Dave's wailing is best when it's a little more controlled in my opinion. This just sounds like somebody screaming. It's not musical in the least bit.

ethaxton
12-05-2006, 02:19 PM
The screaming or wailing or whatever you want to call it, would have a lot more meaning and seem more passionate if it wasn't something he squeezed into every other song now. Besides, on this one, it's just screaming. This might seem contradictory, but Dave's wailing is best when it's a little more controlled in my opinion. This just sounds like somebody screaming. It's not musical in the least bit.

Wailing in this song would not fit, the screaming adds to the intensity/build-up of 'she said a hundred times...a thousand times.' I think you are asking this song to go in a completely different direction.

ggies
12-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Wailing in this song would not fit, the screaming adds to the intensity/build-up of 'she said a hundred times...a thousand times.' I think you are asking this song to go in a completely different direction.

yeah, but with it, just like in my post, there is no real build up musically. The music is quiet and then Dave screams and then Carter starts chopping away on the hi-hats and evereyone goes nuts on their instrument.

Unlike the first one, where the music builds up smoothly.

TheSniper26
12-05-2006, 02:35 PM

Absolutely. My personal preference would have this "song" go in a drastically different direction. The only thing about it I really wouldn't change is Carter. Other than that, I don't see much value. The screaming is bordering on obnoxious. It's too repetitive. There's not enough full band interaction. There are no lyrics(no, there's nothing to interpret from 5 words)... I think it serves no purpose other than to fall back on a gimmick that is wrecking Dave's voice.

ethaxton
12-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Absolutely. My personal preference would have this "song" go in a drastically different direction. The only thing about it I really wouldn't change is Carter. Other than that, I don't see much value. The screaming is bordering on obnoxious. It's too repetitive. There's not enough full band interaction. There are no lyrics(no, there's nothing to interpret from 5 words)... I think it serves no purpose other than to fall back on a gimmick that is wrecking Dave's voice.

This song is still an intro, regardless of what everyone wants it to be...and it will probably remain that way. I see your point, but I like it the way it is and it served as an awesome intro to Two Step this year.

dsera
12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
This song is still an intro, regardless of what everyone wants it to be...and it will probably remain that way. I see your point, but I like it the way it is and it served as an awesome intro to Two Step this year.
If it was just an intro then wouldn't it always segue into another song?

TheSniper26
12-05-2006, 02:50 PM

See that's the key for me. If this were just an intro that was tacked onto various songs, I would be able to appreciate it much more. But looking at it as a stand alone song, it just does nothing for me.

bidroc
12-05-2006, 02:52 PM
This should open the show in Vegas 07

AB Intro->
Linus and Lucy->
Heartbeat->
PNP->
Rapunzel

ethaxton
12-05-2006, 02:53 PM
If it was just an intro then wouldn't it always segue into another song?

You would like to think so, and I wish it did only seque. Playing it stand-alone isn't my favorite...but I think DMB used it as more of an intro this year than anything. The AB intro-->Last Stop at Cville WOULD have been amazing.

Popeye2003
12-05-2006, 10:21 PM
You would like to think so, and I wish it did only seque. Playing it stand-alone isn't my favorite...but I think DMB used it as more of an intro this year than anything. The AB intro-->Last Stop at Cville WOULD have been amazing.
It would've been amazing anywhere.

ethaxton
12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
It would've been amazing anywhere.

Yeah, I wasn't implying it would have been awesome because it would have been at cville, but that it was suppose to happen at cville.

Popeye2003
12-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Yeah, I wasn't implying it would have been awesome because it would have been at cville, but that it was suppose to happen at cville.
And why was it supposed to happen at CVille?

bidroc
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM

it was on the setlist, I guess.

ethaxton
12-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Because it was on the setlist and some crazy fucker ran on stage and they cut it?