PDA

View Full Version : Hey Butch, lay off the synth sound

SomeDevil17
12-05-2006, 11:11 PM
The end of the Last Stop reprise on the BOWA reminds me of the Dreamgirl Intro so much.

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Fuck you, that sound is awesome.

Dreaming Tree from CP Bonus disc :upyours

dsera
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM
The end of the Last Stop reprise on the BOWA reminds me of the Dreamgirl Intro so much.
:phan

SomeDevil17
12-05-2006, 11:15 PM

Then how do people not like the Dreamgirl Intro then?

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:17 PM

it's really not

bsan83
12-05-2006, 11:19 PM
The synth is awesome. You blow.

Examples: #34 on WOTR, One Sweet World on LT 2, Dreaming Tree on CP Bonus

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:20 PM
it's really notShut up.

Tomacco
12-05-2006, 11:22 PM
:upyours :upyours To the synth sound - as mentioned, especially important for Dreaming Tree.

Personally, I liked some of the extended intros a lot (9/12/05 for example).

Fan#41
12-05-2006, 11:23 PM
The synth is awesome. You blow.

Examples: #34 on WOTR, One Sweet World on LT 2, Dreaming Tree on CP Bonus

:upyours

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Shut up.

:lol

Oh watching that Warehouse vid that was just released for the contest, and I thought, damn butch sounds really great playing the exact same notes as dave on that intro :upyours

BeQuietAndDrive
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
If you listened to the end of the BOWA Last Stop and Butch is your biggest complaint, you need new ears.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:25 PM
If you listened to the end of the BOWA Last Stop and Butch is your biggest complaint, you need new ears.

Haha true

bsan83
12-05-2006, 11:26 PM
The end of One Sweet World on LT2, right before the outro, is absolutely perfect because of the synth. I was so excited when I first heard that show and heard the keys turned up like that for the first time.

BeQuietAndDrive
12-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Too Much would be weak without Butch.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Too Much would be weak without Butch.
Disagree
11/9/96 is as good as it gets.

BeQuietAndDrive
12-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Disagree
11/9/96 is as good as it gets.

I am partial to 10.1.04.

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Frank is a die-hard CORE 5 ONLY guy, you have to understand.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:29 PM
I am partial to 10.1.04.

Very nice performance indeed

bsan83
12-05-2006, 11:30 PM
10.1.04 Too Much is good, but it doesn't match Winter '98 style with Tim.

ethaxton
12-05-2006, 11:31 PM

I don't mind the dreamgirl intro, it's just what comes after it that I dread.

slugmother
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
i dont mind the synth sound in dreaming tree and last stop, but i wish he would stick to regular piano in The Stone. i know that you wish boyd didn't suck at violin, but don't try to mimic an orchestra over there, mkay?

Wescoast
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
haha that avatar is pretty fucking funny.

im a fan of the synth, and everything else butch does.

Fan#41
12-05-2006, 11:37 PM
im a fan of the synth, and everything else butch does.

Same here. He's been a true asset to the DMB sound and musical growth since '00.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
Frank is a die-hard CORE 5 ONLY guy, you have to understand.

He would be more tolerable if there wasnt an insistance on filling every second of music with noise. I usually really enjoy Butch's straight up piano work, the synth sounds really bad to me, thats just a preference thing. Everyones entitled to wanting change, I think some time without Butch would bring back the basics. He's a crutch for this band right now. And I know you love him because of how he and Carter feed off each other, but its becoming more and more apparent how he keeps afloat the shitty songs and how Dave's guitar work has gone down the tubes because Butch is always right there.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
i dont mind the synth sound in dreaming tree and last stop, but i wish he would stick to regular piano in The Stone. i know that you wish boyd didn't suck at violin, but don't try to mimic an orchestra over there, mkay?

The greatest part about LS Stone is how during the last chorus everyone but Dave goes silent :upyours

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:41 PM
He would be more tolerable if there wasnt an insistance on filling every second of music with noise. I usually really enjoy Butch's straight up piano work, the synth sounds really bad to me, thats just a preference thing. Everyones entitled to wanting change, I think some time without Butch would bring back the basics. He's a crutch for this band right now. And I know you love him because of how he and Carter feed off each other, but its becoming more and more apparent how he keeps afloat the shitty songs and how Dave's guitar work has gone down the tubes because Butch is always right there.To some degree I see what you are saying, but he has developed a lot of his own parts for the tunes that don't detract from what Dave is playing.

But opinions make the world go 'round, baby.

Fan#41
12-05-2006, 11:42 PM
And I know you love him because of how he and Carter feed off each other, but its becoming more and more apparent how he keeps afloat the shitty songs and how Dave's guitar work has gone down the tubes because Butch is always right there.

He's brought such a backing to #41, Seek Up, Warehouse, Crush, One Sweet World. Dave's guitar work hasn't gone down the tubes because of Butch. I don't know why or how you would even come to that conclusion. What shitty songs are kept afloat because of Butch?

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:45 PM
Well, to be honest, Hunger would suck without the organ.

Wescoast
12-05-2006, 11:46 PM
He would be more tolerable if there wasnt an insistance on filling every second of music with noise. I usually really enjoy Butch's straight up piano work, the synth sounds really bad to me, thats just a preference thing. Everyones entitled to wanting change, I think some time without Butch would bring back the basics. He's a crutch for this band right now. And I know you love him because of how he and Carter feed off each other, but its becoming more and more apparent how he keeps afloat the shitty songs and how Dave's guitar work has gone down the tubes because Butch is always right there.

hmm

Crush87
He's brought such a backing to #41, Seek Up, Warehouse, Crush, One Sweet World. Dave's guitar work hasn't gone down the tubes because of Butch. I don't know why or how you would even come to that conclusion. What shitty songs are kept afloat because of Butch?

Oh, Brandon we've been through the same exact discussion before, and we never get anywhere :lol

I'll give you Warhouse, and I love Butch on Crush :upyours

Without Butch, the ED tunes could never keep their head above water. Songs like SAWG never see the light of day without him, thats really not the point though. Like I said, he fills every second of music with noise, Dave's playing is so much more sparse than it used to be, and I attribute that to Butch's constant fills.

Crush87
Well, to be honest, Hunger would suck without the organ.

:lol :upyours

Wescoast
12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Well, to be honest, Hunger would suck more without the organ.

?

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:47 PM
If you have #41 from 7.29.06 handy, take a listen right where Boyd's solo ends and things quiet down for Haynes' solo.

Right there is the classic Butch taste, IMO. The subtle organ chords make me so erect.

Wescoast
12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
butch was a wonderful addition to the 00 tour, his subtle fills and playing was excellent and started becoming the unsung hero in 03 and 04. he stepped back a bit this past tour with rashawn around. i dont see how, in any way, he effects daves guitar playing.

timh.
12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
butch needs to stick straight to the piano sound on the keyboard and the occasional b3 in songs where appropriate, which would mean restricting it to a handful of songs, as opposed to going to it at least once a chorus on every song

alexbunke
12-05-2006, 11:50 PM
I liked some synth that he was tossing into Rapunzel during the winter '05 tour.

Crush87
12-05-2006, 11:58 PM
butch was a wonderful addition to the 00 tour, his subtle fills and playing was excellent and started becoming the unsung hero in 03 and 04. he stepped back a bit this past tour with rashawn around. i dont see how, in any way, he effects daves guitar playing.

I should have prefaced my statement by saying my opinion on the band is that their greatest sound was in their rawest form ie: '94-97 with '95 being their peak in a lot of ways. That said, Butch's ability to fill an enormous amount of space, I think - thought not totally responsible, has led to a major change in sound, and a major change in playing style. Like i said, dave sounds so much more sparse to me and I think it has a lot to do with Butch's enormous, often overbearing ability to fill space.

JorgeCavos
12-06-2006, 12:44 AM
He saved the intro to Stay in Hershey this year when Dave switched guitars.

For those who don't know, Dave started playing the song, and realized his guitar was tuned wrong (Drop-D I think), so after playing the opening riff, the band kicked in and Butch took over playing the main riff as Dave went and got a good guitar.

BeQuietAndDrive
12-06-2006, 01:52 AM
He saved the intro to Stay in Hershey this year when Dave switched guitars.

For those who don't know, Dave started playing the song, and realized his guitar was tuned wrong (Drop-D I think), so after playing the opening riff, the band kicked in and Butch took over playing the main riff as Dave went and got a good guitar.

Butch has had to save Dave's ass at two shows I've been to during Stay.

That Hershey show you mentioned, and 10.1.04 on the VFC tour when Dave broke a string.

FishMonkeyMan
12-06-2006, 02:42 AM

its not the synth per se, its the overall femininity of the whole song.

Demolition Man
12-06-2006, 04:20 PM
its not the synth per se, its the overall femininity of the whole song.
What exactly is "femininity" in musical terms?