PDA

View Full Version : And the Grammy goes to....

warehouseboy
12-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Album Of The Year
(Award to the Artist(s) and to the Album Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s)/Mixer(s) & Mastering Engineer(s), if other than the artist.)

Taking The Long Way
Dixie Chicks
Rick Rubin, producer; Richard Dodd, Jim Scott & Chris Testa, engineers/mixers; Richard Dodd, mastering engineer
[Open Wide/Columbia]

St. Elsewhere
Gnarls Barkley
Danger Mouse, producer; Ben H. Allen, Danger Mouse & Kennie Takahashi, engineers/mixers; Mike Lazer, mastering engineer
[Downtown/Atlantic]

Continuum
John Mayer
Steve Jordan & John Mayer, producers; John Alagia, Michael Brauer, Joe Ferla, Chad Franscoviak, Manny Marroquin & Dave O'Donnell, engineers/mixers; Greg Calbi, mastering engineer
[Aware/Columbia]

Stadium Arcadium
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rick Rubin, producer; Ryan Hewitt, Mark Linette & Andrew Scheps, engineers/mixers; Vlado Meller, mastering engineer
[Warner Bros.]

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
Nate (Danga) Hills, Jawbreakers, Rick Rubin, Timbaland & Justin Timberlake, producers; Jimmy Douglass, Serban Ghenea, Padraic Kerin, Jason Lader, Andrew Scheps, Timbaland & Ethan Willoughby, engineers/mixers; Herb Powers, Jr., mastering engineer
[Jive Records/Zomba Label Group]

This better be John Mayer. That's all I have to say. That album is amazing.

dsera
12-07-2006, 09:52 PM
Album Of The Year
(Award to the Artist(s) and to the Album Producer(s), Recording Engineer(s)/Mixer(s) & Mastering Engineer(s), if other than the artist.)

Taking The Long Way
Dixie Chicks
Rick Rubin, producer; Richard Dodd, Jim Scott & Chris Testa, engineers/mixers; Richard Dodd, mastering engineer
[Open Wide/Columbia]

St. Elsewhere
Gnarls Barkley
Danger Mouse, producer; Ben H. Allen, Danger Mouse & Kennie Takahashi, engineers/mixers; Mike Lazer, mastering engineer
[Downtown/Atlantic]

Continuum
John Mayer
Steve Jordan & John Mayer, producers; John Alagia, Michael Brauer, Joe Ferla, Chad Franscoviak, Manny Marroquin & Dave O'Donnell, engineers/mixers; Greg Calbi, mastering engineer
[Aware/Columbia]

Stadium Arcadium
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rick Rubin, producer; Ryan Hewitt, Mark Linette & Andrew Scheps, engineers/mixers; Vlado Meller, mastering engineer
[Warner Bros.]

FutureSex/LoveSounds
Justin Timberlake
Nate (Danga) Hills, Jawbreakers, Rick Rubin, Timbaland & Justin Timberlake, producers; Jimmy Douglass, Serban Ghenea, Padraic Kerin, Jason Lader, Andrew Scheps, Timbaland & Ethan Willoughby, engineers/mixers; Herb Powers, Jr., mastering engineer
[Jive Records/Zomba Label Group]

This better be John Mayer. That's all I have to say. That album is amazing.
:nod I'm not getting my hopes up. The awards are a joke.

Fan#41
12-07-2006, 09:53 PM
To be quite honest with you, I've never been a big John Mayer supporter...I'm still not. I think he's an ass. His songwriting is getting better, but his real talent lay within his guitar playing. At any rate, out of those selected, I'd like to see him win this as well.

dsera
12-07-2006, 09:57 PM
To be quite honest with you, I've never been a big John Mayer supporter...I'm still not. I think he's an ass. His songwriting is getting better, but his real talent lay within his guitar playing. At any rate, out of those selected, I'd like to see him win this as well.
Getting better? It's brilliant on this album. :nod

warehouseboy
12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
I checked out his videos at Austin City Limits the day the same day the BOWA vids came out in the Blue Room. Gravity is amazing. 'nuff said.

dsera
12-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I checked out his videos at Austin City Limits the day the same day the BOWA vids came out in the Blue Room. Gravity is amazing. 'nuff said.
Yes it is and Gravity isn't even in the top 5 best songs on that album.

alexbunke
12-07-2006, 10:21 PM
To be quite honest with you, I've never been a big John Mayer supporter...I'm still not. I think he's an ass. His songwriting is getting better, but his real talent lay within his guitar playing. At any rate, out of those selected, I'd like to see him win this as well.I think YOU'RE an ass.

:lmaoI am laughing at your face.

Fan#41
12-07-2006, 10:39 PM
I think YOU'RE an ass.

:lmaoI am laughing at your face.

:nono

Hammajor
12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
John won't get it. Dixie Chicks is the anti-Bush political darling that the Grammy's love to coddle.

dsera
12-07-2006, 10:47 PM
John won't get it. Dixie Chicks is the anti-Bush political darling that the Grammy's love to coddle.
And Mayer isn't anti-Bush? Have you heard the new stuff? :lol

Hammajor
12-07-2006, 10:57 PM
And Mayer isn't anti-Bush? Have you heard the new stuff? :lol

What? One song. The Dixie Chicks have a documentary to showcase how much they hate Bush.

groove merchant
12-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Getting better? It's brilliant on this album. :nod

i disagree. its a young wanna be stevie ray. its good to see him jump out of the pop scene and play what he claims he loves more. i never said he was shitty guitar player...its just been played before. sorry just not a fan.

dsera
12-08-2006, 06:24 AM
i disagree. its a young wanna be stevie ray. its good to see him jump out of the pop scene and play what he claims he loves more. i never said he was shitty guitar player...its just been played before. sorry just not a fan.
:screwy

BeaufordBuddy
12-08-2006, 09:10 AM
To be quite honest with you, I've never been a big John Mayer supporter...I'm still not.

Same here. Too arrogant for me. I mean, I can appreciate his guitar playing which is phenomenal but I'm not going to buy any of his material.

dustindmb
12-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Mayer's album is amazing. It should win.

Tomacco
12-08-2006, 03:47 PM
My vote goes to the Chili Peppers. :upyours

DMBTex10101
12-08-2006, 04:16 PM
As long as the Flecktones win the two they are nominated for, I couldn't care any less about the rest of the awards.

The grammy's that get shown on TV are a joke anyways. The real worthwhile ones are the ones they don't even bother to show on TV, because they go to the true artists that actually deserve them.

warehouseboy
12-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Same here. Too arrogant for me. I mean, I can appreciate his guitar playing which is phenomenal but I'm not going to buy any of his material.

What about him is too arrogant?

DMBTex10101
12-08-2006, 04:20 PM

His sense of humor can come off as arrogance. Especially if you aren't particularly a fan in the first place. I, myself am a fan, but I can see how it would seem arrogant.

dsera
12-08-2006, 04:25 PM
:lmao What about his ISN'T arrogant?

bsan83
12-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Unless they're just outwardly horrendous human beings, I don't listen to these folks because I like their personalities; I listen to them because I like their music.

Fan#41
12-08-2006, 06:01 PM

Just read any number of his interviews. Not to mention he puts himself in the same sentence/catagory as SRV. That made me sick.

dsera
12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Just read any number of his interviews. Not to mention he puts himself in the same sentence/catagory as SRV. That made me sick.
Well....

Fan#41
12-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Well....

:oar

dsera
12-08-2006, 06:29 PM
:oar
:hi

jjdylan
12-08-2006, 07:03 PM
My vote goes to the Chili Peppers. :upyours

although i think Gnarls Barkley or Timberlake will take it down.

warehouseboy
12-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Well, SOMEONE has to take his place... :lol

upandaway
12-08-2006, 07:35 PM
The guy is very cocky. Acts better than everyone else, but I guess maybe that's what happens when you're a loser in high school and then become famous.

groove merchant
12-08-2006, 07:44 PM

yeah..thats when i wrote the kid off. i dont care how great the girls think he is...hes a mammas boy with a guitar and his label pays big bucks for the big blues icons to jam with him. its a damn shame.:banana

dsera
12-08-2006, 08:02 PM
yeah..thats when i wrote the kid off. i dont care how great the girls think he is...hes a mammas boy with a guitar and his label pays big bucks for the big blues icons to jam with him. its a damn shame.:banana
You have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think he's great because I'm a girl. I think he's great because he IS great.

And mammas boy? Where did you even come up with that one? The label doesn't have to pay big bucks for blues icons to jam with him. They want to because he's that good. Period. The only damn shame is the people that hear Your Body Is A Wonderland and base his entire talent around that song. That would be about as fair as someone hearing I Did It and doing the same.

upandaway
12-08-2006, 08:15 PM
The only damn shame is the people that hear Your Body Is A Wonderland and base his entire talent around that song. That would be about as fair as someone hearing I Did It and doing the same.

Every time I mention John Mayer in the list of artists I like, people cringe and say, Your Body Is a Wonderland guy???? He had to get started somewhere, and if it was on pop radio with a bunch of teen aged girls as fans, so what. At least he's breaking away now.

BeaufordBuddy
12-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Unless they're just outwardly horrendous human beings, I don't listen to these folks because I like their personalities; I listen to them because I like their music.

I normally don't either, but I'll be honest, what really turned me off about him is his dislike for DMB. :\

dsera
12-08-2006, 08:21 PM
I normally don't either, but I'll be honest, what really turned me off about him is his dislike for DMB. :\
His dislike of DMB?? He's given Dave props in at least a couple interviews I've heard. Just because he made some jokes about them doesn't mean anything. He's also covered a couple songs.

warehouseboy
12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
His dislike of DMB?? He's given Dave props in at least a couple interviews I've heard. Just because he made some jokes about them doesn't mean anything. He's also covered a couple songs.

3x5 actually sounds like a rip-off of two step. i thought he got a lot of his inspiration from seeing dmb live.

dsera
12-08-2006, 08:34 PM
3x5 actually sounds like a rip-off of two step. i thought he got a lot of his inspiration from seeing dmb live.
I've never heard him say DMB inspired him and I don't really agree it sounds like Two Step but I can see why you'd say that.

groove merchant
12-08-2006, 08:36 PM
You have no idea what you're talking about. I don't think he's great because I'm a girl. I think he's great because he IS great.

And mammas boy? Where did you even come up with that one? The label doesn't have to pay big bucks for blues icons to jam with him. They want to because he's that good. Period. The only damn shame is the people that hear Your Body Is A Wonderland and base his entire talent around that song. That would be about as fair as someone hearing I Did It and doing the same.

the 'girls' i was speaking of did not include you or at least it didnt cross my mind.
i am very aware of his new stuff. he simply is overrated...and yes the label does pay big bucks...if you really think otherwise i am sorry. blues icons dont jam with kids who think they are great out of the gate for free. its that simple. I think given the musical climate as of late, mayer has stood out, simply because what else is out there. if the kid is around in ten years filling venues then ill raise an eye. dont get so worked up just because others dont like the guy. there are people who travel this board with some musical knowledge and are very intitled to their opinion. i recently caught the direct TV thing...yikes...didnt see much i havnt seen before. answer me this:
how long have you been a fan?

dsera
12-08-2006, 08:44 PM
the 'girls' i was speaking of did not include you or at least it didnt cross my mind.
i am very aware of his new stuff. he simply is overrated...and yes the label does pay big bucks...if you really think otherwise i am sorry. blues icons dont jam with kids who think they are great out of the gate for free. its that simple. I think given the musical climate as of late, mayer has stood out, simply because what else is out there. if the kid is around in ten years filling venues then ill raise an eye. dont get so worked up just because others dont like the guy. there are people who travel this board with some musical knowledge and are very intitled to their opinion. i recently caught the direct TV thing...yikes...didnt see much i havnt seen before. answer me this:
how long have you been a fan?
You are entitled to your opinion but I am entitled to disagree and argue with it. Come on now, you know this routine from me by now. It's not personal, so don't take it that way.

You're just wrong. So very wrong. You think he only stands out because of what else is out there? That's absurd. If you think he's not good enough to stand his own with the legends that's one thing. I disagree with you there too but at least I can understand where you're coming from. 10 years from now he'll still be around and selling more than ever. I'd put money on that one. He might not be the likes of SVR but by the time his career is over, I'm betting he will be.

I've been a fan since the first moment I heard his first CD. I have 3 musical obsessions. DMB, Mayer and Ray. I know my music. ;)

groove merchant
12-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Ray? Ray LaMontagne?

dsera
12-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Ray? Ray LaMontagne?
Yes sir!

thestand
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Alright, so I went to the Grammy site, and category by category, picked one that mixed the best/my favorite. Some of the categories (rock/alternative especially) were too close to call, so I picked one and listed a second (and sometimes a third and a fourth).

Record Of the Year

Crazy
Gnarls Barkley
--------------------------------------
Album of the Year
Continuum
John Mayer

followed by:

Stadium Arcadium, RHCP
St. Elsewhere, Gnarls Barkley
-------------------------------------
Song of the Year:

Couldn't care less. If I had to pick...

Not Ready to Make Nice
Dixie Chicks
Best New Artist
Corrinne Bailey Rae
Best Female Pop Vocal Performance
Black Horse & The Cherry Tree
KT Tunstall
Best Male Pop Vocal Performance
Waiting on the World to Change
John Mayer
Best Pop Group Performance
Is It Any Wonder?
Keane
Best Pop Instrumental Album
Fingerprints
Peter Frampton
Best Pop Vocal Album

Continuum
John Mayer
Best Dance Performance
Ooh La La
Goldfrapp
Best Electro/Dance Album
A Lively Mind
Oakenfold
Best Traditional Pop Album
Duets
Tony Bennett
Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance
Nausea
Beck

followed by
Someday Baby, Bob Dylan
Route 66, John Mayer
Lookin' For a Leader, Neil Young
Best Rock Performance by a Duo/Group
Steady As She Goes
The Raconteurs

followed by-
Dani California, RHCP
Best Hard Rock Performance
Vicarious
Tool
Best Rock Instrumental Performance
The Wizard Turns On...
The Flaming Lips

followed by-

Catsellorizon, David Gilmour
--------------------------------------
Best Rock Song
Dani California
RHCP
---------------------------------------
Best Rock Album
Broken Boy Soldiers
The Raconteurs

followed by-
Stadium Arcadium, RHCP
Try!, John Mayer Trio
Living With War, Neil Young
----------------------------------------
Best Alternative Album
Show Your Bones
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

followed by-
The Eraser, Thom Yorke
At War With The Mystics, The Flaming Lips
St. Elsewhere, Gnarls Barkley
Best Contemporary Jazz Album
The Hidden Land
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones
Best Contemporary Blues Album
Suitcase
Keb' Mo'
Best Traditional Folk Album
We Shall Overcome- The Seeger Sessions
Bruce Springsteen
Best Contemporary Folk Album
Modern Times
Bob Dylan
Best Reggae Album
Youth
Matisyahu

followed by-

Love Is My Religion, Ziggy Marley
Producer of the Year:
Rick Rubin
Johnny Cash x2
Dixie Chicks
RHCP
----------------------------------------
Best Short Form Music Video
Here it Goes Again
OK Go

My hands hurt. Now tell me how much they suck.

groove merchant
12-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes sir!

thats one avenue i have yet to venture down.
jeeesh given your mayer review i dont know if you can be trusted.:lol

im kidding. i dont know his music. good arguing points with you.:rawk

dsera
12-08-2006, 09:12 PM
thats one avenue i have yet to venture down.
jeeesh given your mayer review i dont know if you can be trusted.:lol
im kidding. i dont know his music. good arguing points with you.:rawk
hardy har har - you have a PM

groove merchant
12-08-2006, 09:19 PM
hardy har har - you have a PM

:beer