PDA

View Full Version : The Sopranos

Fan#41
12-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Easliy one of the best shows on television and the best HBO has ever produced.

http://www.republicanvoices.org/tony_soprano.jpg

"I'm old school Janice!"

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/cast/actor/david_proval.jpg

Who's ready for part 2 of Season 6? :hi

Strugz10
12-09-2006, 10:58 AM
God damn do I miss this show. HBO kills me with how long they've made us wait :rant

BeaufordBuddy
12-09-2006, 11:27 AM
Yes, easily the best TV drama ever. I will sincerely miss this show. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-050.gif

Nitro1515
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
Probably my favorite show, can't wait for it to come back

Crumbo
12-09-2006, 03:00 PM
overrated and too many throw away episodes

I still like it but it moves way too slow for me

Fan#41
12-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Yes, easily the best TV drama ever. I will sincerely miss this show. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/traurig/sad-smiley-050.gif

Same here. I guess they added on an extra episode for the 2nd part of season 6.

FishMonkeyMan
12-09-2006, 03:40 PM
dont get me wrong i personally love the show but the one flaw is that it always leaves people dissapointed. so many of the fans of the show cant get into the complex storytelling and character depth, and get annoyed if big things arent always happening. im excited for the return, and im sure it will be outstanding, but im also sure that people will be bitching about it as always.

Fan#41
12-09-2006, 03:47 PM
dont get me wrong i personally love the show but the one flaw is that it always leaves people dissapointed. so many of the fans of the show cant get into the complex storytelling and character depth, and get annoyed if big things arent always happening. im excited for the return, and im sure it will be outstanding, but im also sure that people will be bitching about it as always.

Some people always seem to overlook important build up moments, like with Tony and Carmella. Even when they're talking, certain looks, or things said are indications as to where they're headed down the road. I agree, often times people are always lookin' for someone to get whacked, and if it doesn't happen then the show sucked. In fact, imo, the show isn't based around those moments, rather the dramatic and slower-paced family stuff that drives Tony to be the way he is when he's "at work".

FishMonkeyMan
12-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Some people always seem to overlook important build up moments, like with Tony and Carmella. Even when they're talking, certain looks, or things said are indications as to where they're headed down the road. I agree, often times people are always lookin' for someone to get whacked, and if it doesn't happen then the show sucked. In fact, imo, the show isn't based around those moments, rather the dramatic and slower-paced family stuff that drives Tony to be the way he is when he's "at work".

oh i completely agree. its a character driven serial and some of its fans dont realize that. i actually have a friend who "fastforwards through the dr. melfi scenes becuase they arent important"... people are idiots.

captainbluntmofo
12-09-2006, 06:10 PM
Last season was so poor, I am skeptical about their ability to finish it off with a proper ending. It seemed like the writers were doing anything they could to make the show boring last season.

FishMonkeyMan
12-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Last season was so poor, I am skeptical about their ability to finish it off with a proper ending. It seemed like the writers were doing anything they could to make the show boring last season.

you are exactly the type of person brandon and i were discussing. it wasnt "boring", it was plot/character development and building up to the resolution.

captainbluntmofo
12-09-2006, 06:51 PM
you are exactly the type of person brandon and i were discussing. it wasnt "boring", it was plot/character development and building up to the resolution.

You could be right but either way they wasted a season. They didn't need another half season of plot build up. They lost a lot of viewers and respect with how poor last season was and I am not a homophobe. It just was far below standards and focused on characters people don't enjoy.

FishMonkeyMan
12-09-2006, 08:20 PM
the only thing ill agree with was the whole vito storyline. it wasnt the storyline itself that annoyed me, but that they ended it so abruptly and basically in an anticlimactic manner. why make us sit through a season of episodes about vito being gay and then kill him off in the most pointless way possible... it was dumb.

pepelapag
12-09-2006, 08:57 PM
You could be right but either way they wasted a season. They didn't need another half season of plot build up. They lost a lot of viewers and respect with how poor last season was and I am not a homophobe. It just was far below standards and focused on characters people don't enjoy.
i agree. i am a die hard fan of the show, but last season did absolutely NOTHING to prepare us for the final 8 episodes. It started off great, then built to nothing. They focused too much on characters that the audience doesnt really care about, like vito and introducing juliana margulies. there was so much this season could have done to setup a resolve in the final 8, but instead they chose not to build to anything relevant.

captainbluntmofo
12-10-2006, 03:49 PM
i agree. i am a die hard fan of the show, but last season did absolutely NOTHING to prepare us for the final 8 episodes. It started off great, then built to nothing. They focused too much on characters that the audience doesnt really care about, like vito and introducing juliana margulies. there was so much this season could have done to setup a resolve in the final 8, but instead they chose not to build to anything relevant.

exactly. It has nothing to with a lack of appreciation for slow moving TV or too much testosterone, it was just a bad season with bad storylines.

Fan#41
12-10-2006, 06:29 PM
I do agree that Part 1 of Season 6 was pretty damn slow.

FishMonkeyMan
12-10-2006, 06:32 PM
I do agree that Part 1 of Season 6 was pretty damn slow.

the tony coma episodes were in my opinion some of the best episodes ever

Fan#41
12-10-2006, 06:37 PM

They were pretty good. The tail end of the first half of the season did drag a bit though with clinging storylines. I don't think it was bad though.

What are some of your favorite episodes?

pgr17
12-10-2006, 07:11 PM
when does this start back up?

Crumbo
12-10-2006, 07:14 PM
when does this start back up?

Fan#41
12-10-2006, 07:30 PM

:lol

Rickmiller15BOSOX
12-12-2006, 05:49 PM

Couldn't agree more...So many people hated it, but it was so deep at the same time. Just had to keep an open mind with it. This was a good season and I am really looking forward to what is in store.

JimyThang
03-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Grindhouse and the return of The Sopranos in the same weekend...can't wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lHGw4arsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx6YT_FU4E

blrobl
03-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Grindhouse and the return of The Sopranos in the same weekend...can't wait

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lHGw4arsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zx6YT_FU4E

Do NOT forget The Shield on April 3rd. :oar

Strugz10
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Doesn't Entourage come back the same time Sopranos does?

JimyThang
03-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Couldn't agree more...So many people hated it, but it was so deep at the same time. Just had to keep an open mind with it. This was a good season and I am really looking forward to what is in store.

I just remember being blown away by the episodes with Tony in the hospital. I know it is kind of cliche and obvious but Edie Falco did an amazing job with that stretch of episodes, one of the highlights imho.

BrianJArmstrong
03-25-2007, 04:05 PM
I agree with a lot of points being discussed in this threaed.

I heard (and I don't know how much truth there is) that the whole Vito plot was actually that character's idea. He was trying to find a way to build his character (or maybe just get more screen time.) One interesting thing that I think came out of it was Tony's empathy toward the situation. He claimed to be different after being in the coma and appreciating life more, and I think that situation tried to show it a little.

Carmella definitely shone in those episodes by Tony's side. Hadn't seen that great a performance since the scene in the last episode of Season 4 where she goes out and apologizes to Tony for telling him he was going to hell, then tells him she fantasized about Furio.

Whew. I need to go join a Sopranos forum. So... how bout them Vegas shows eh?

gweeps
04-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Season 6, Episode 13 screener is up on torrent sites.

dmb0226
04-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Doesn't Entourage come back the same time Sopranos does?

yup. sunday, april 8th.

sopranos at 9
entourage at 10

gweeps
04-01-2007, 11:02 AM
This new episode is okay. A quiet start to what will hopefully be a bang up final block of episodes.

Ledge
04-01-2007, 03:13 PM
yup. sunday, april 8th.

sopranos at 9
entourage at 10

Bonerific hour and a half right there.

Ledge
04-01-2007, 03:13 PM
This new episode is okay. A quiet start to what will hopefully be a bang up final block of episodes.

I'm definitely waiting.

chillin102style
04-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I'm definitely waiting.

glad to hear.

Billy'sTV
04-03-2007, 09:55 AM
I really enjoyed the new one....I had read it was so-so but IMO it was great.

Strugz10
04-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Bonerific hour and a half right there.

Definitely, and my boner will extend into Monday night as well since 24 is on. Two great nights of TV in a row.

FishMonkeyMan
04-03-2007, 10:51 AM
Definitely, and my boner will extend into Monday night as well since 24 is on. Two great nights of TV in a row.

24 is horrendous this season. if i werent a loyal fan i would stop watching it.

Strugz10
04-03-2007, 11:02 AM
24 is horrendous this season. if i werent a loyal fan i would stop watching it.

I don't think it's that horrible, but I stopped watching after season 2 until this season so I was out of the loop for a while.

FishMonkeyMan
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think it's that horrible, but I stopped watching after season 2 until this season so I was out of the loop for a while.

im on the verge of giving up... i cant say ill watch it next season.. this season has been a walking contradiction, filled with recycled plotlines pumped up on steroids, and a whole mess of bad continuity errors.

Zamboni Guy
04-03-2007, 02:53 PM
im on the verge of giving up... i cant say ill watch it next season.. this season has been a walking contradiction, filled with recycled plotlines pumped up on steroids, and a whole mess of bad continuity errors.

I'm 100% with you on 24. They need a change of venue badly (Europe or something).

I think the Sopranos will stellar this season. Can't wait.

JimyThang
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm 100% with you on 24. They need a change of venue badly (Europe or something).

Apparently some of this season will take place in NYC.

FishMonkeyMan
04-04-2007, 09:01 PM
24 is not broken because of the same venue, its broken because they tried to hard to up the anti this year and started recycling the same plot lines over and over again. im not saying a new venue would be bad, it wouldnt be at all, but its not the problem with the show, and just once, i would like to see the show go back to its roots. it was best when it was small, jack in an espionage role, not jack and an army vs. another army. the show was at its peak in the first two seasons and they deviated too far from that.

as for sopranos, i have low expectations but im excited.

JimyThang
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah I don't think moving to NYC is gonna solve all it's problems but it will be nice to shake things up. I just hope they don't fuck the movie up...that's all.

And I have almost complete faith in David Chase that the final Sopranos episodes will be completely satisfying

Ledge
04-05-2007, 07:11 AM
You guys should really watch the Shield. That's some good fucking television.

Strugz10
04-05-2007, 09:46 AM
How did this turn into a 24 thread?

Back on topic, 4 days until Sopranos!

dm40band
04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
24 is not broken because of the same venue, its broken because they tried to hard to up the anti this year and started recycling the same plot lines over and over again. im not saying a new venue would be bad, it wouldnt be at all, but its not the problem with the show, and just once, i would like to see the show go back to its roots. it was best when it was small, jack in an espionage role, not jack and an army vs. another army. the show was at its peak in the first two seasons and they deviated too far from that.

as for sopranos, i have low expectations but im excited.

as far as 24 i see your point but with all the other shows i still think nothing can beat it... its gonna be around for 2 more seasons after or is it 3 i forgot... i have complete faith that Keifer will make some major changes next season... but that last season when they basically killed everyone off was very unexpected... this season has been the worst out of them all but i will continue to watch despite of it...

as far as Sopranos, they better not dissappoint like they did in the first half of this season... so im interested on how it ends and the movie of course

Fan#41
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
And I have almost complete faith in David Chase that the final Sopranos episodes will be completely satisfying

I agree.

gweeps
04-08-2007, 07:33 AM
I think the only person Tony can truly trust is Melfi.

FishMonkeyMan
04-08-2007, 12:37 PM
I think the only person Tony can truly trust is Melfi.

ironically i think she is the one who gets whacked early this season.

gweeps
04-08-2007, 02:07 PM
ironically i think she is the one who gets whacked early this season.

Why? To get to Tony perhaps? Maybe because ''they'' think she knows too much?

FishMonkeyMan
04-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Why? To get to Tony perhaps? Maybe because ''they'' think she knows too much?

yeah if you want to fuck with tony, do you go after his kids and start an all out war or do you go after his confidante..

Crumbo
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
well that was terrible

playing fucking monopoly

Ledge
04-09-2007, 12:22 AM
well that was terrible

playing fucking monopoly

Yeah, it was pretty useless. Bobby was pretty sloppy with that murder. Curious to see if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

Strugz10
04-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Apparently this episode is the "calm before the storm", so we'll have to see.

It probably didn't help that a helicopter was literally right outside my apartment this whole episode so I could barely hear shit :rant

blrobl
04-09-2007, 10:11 AM
Only 9 episodes are left and Christopher, Paulie, Junior, and Syl are basically all ignored :wtf
They better bring it with the remaining 8.

OK, so that was Bobby's first kill right? How did he become a made man then? Just through bloodlines, his father?
Kind of funny the kill was sloppy because of his remark about DNA evidence nowadays.
What about that gun he gave Tony? :upyours

italy8384
04-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Like the russian, I'm sure they will ignore the whole sloppy murder by bobby. The only thing useful that came out of the whole ep was when chris called tony. Nothing else in the ep had any kind of arc to carry over to other episodes.

Next week looks good at least, I find it odd though chase wanted an extra ep when it was originally 8. Could of just scrapped the whole ep and started with next weeks and they wouldn't have anybody complaining today.

Fan#41
04-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, it was pretty useless. Bobby was pretty sloppy with that murder. Curious to see if it comes back to bite them in the ass.

It was his first one, so it kinda makes sense.

I thought it was a solid episode.

dm40band
04-09-2007, 11:20 PM
well just saw it, hopefully it gets better then this

FishMonkeyMan
04-10-2007, 12:03 AM
THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS EPISODE!!!

sorry, but everyone bitching about the "lack of action" has been bitching since season 3, and really just doesnt get the concept of a character driven serial. the show is not meant to be intense and violent every week, that was never the point, it has ALWAYS been a show about character development and story arcs. last night we saw bobby attack the boss of the family after being told he was a contender to take over, christopher snubbed by tony, the feds building a solid case, and tony questioning how much longers hes going to survive in his world. this was a really really good premiere episode.

JimyThang
04-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree ^^

and I don't think I'm just saying this because I was looking forward to it so much. I thought the monopoly scene was fucking great. I always love Tony around Janice and Bobby. There is always an incredible tension built up which I find enjoyable to watch unfold. I'm guessing lots of people will end up being disappointed with the final episodes judging by this reaction.

italy8384
04-11-2007, 09:54 AM
THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS EPISODE!!!

sorry, but everyone bitching about the "lack of action" has been bitching since season 3, and really just doesnt get the concept of a character driven serial. the show is not meant to be intense and violent every week, that was never the point, it has ALWAYS been a show about character development and story arcs. last night we saw bobby attack the boss of the family after being told he was a contender to take over, christopher snubbed by tony, the feds building a solid case, and tony questioning how much longers hes going to survive in his world. this was a really really good premiere episode.

Those parts you mention were good but what about the other 45 minutes of the episode of them playing monopoly, singing karaoke, fishing...? I mean nows not the time for filler material when you only have 8 eps left and so many characters and stories to try close up. I could care less if they don't kill someone every episode, but at least write some good stories and have some good character development. 95% of that EP doesn't even matter to the rest of the season or previous episodes. People think cause he throws in a shot of some ducks its brilliant writing. I know this week will be 10x better so I'm not worried

pgr17
04-11-2007, 09:57 AM
i enjoyed this episode.

Crumbo
04-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Those parts you mention were good but what about the other 45 minutes of the episode of them playing monopoly, singing karaoke, fishing...? I mean nows not the time for filler material when you only have 8 eps left and so many characters and stories to try close up. I could care less if they don't kill someone every episode, but at least write some good stories and have some good character development. 95% of that EP doesn't even matter to the rest of the season or previous episodes. People think cause he throws in a shot of some ducks its brilliant writing.

exactly!

gweeps
04-11-2007, 10:51 AM
It seems to me that some folks don't know what The Sopranos is about. For starters, the show is titled The Sopranos, meaning it's ultimately about a family whose head just happens to also be a mob boss. Everything else is tangental.

FishMonkeyMan
04-22-2007, 10:57 PM
odd episode tonight.. just odd..

dmb0226
04-23-2007, 12:42 AM
not bad tonight

Strugz10
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
odd episode tonight.. just odd..

Yeah I didn't quite get that one. I'll need to watch it again.

FishMonkeyMan
04-23-2007, 01:14 PM
the brilliance of this season so far is that every episode they are setting up someone new who may be the guy to bring down tony... first bobby, then christopher, and now paulie.

Ledge
04-24-2007, 12:00 PM
I liked this episode.

blrobl
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
I loved it ... Paulie and Junior are two of my fav's and are fucking hilarious.
Definitely liking this season, at least more than the last two. They are delivering. It just sucks continually knowing there are only "x" number of episodes left after each one airs and thinking about what can and will happen.
But my boy Christopher has been in 1 out of 3.
I mean what about the storyline with the supposed (possible) immigrant feds always at the Bing?

Crumbo
04-26-2007, 07:28 AM
I liked this episode.

ditto

"the family" stuff was excellent and it makes the other episodes make more sense

JorgeCavos
04-26-2007, 02:41 PM
What do you have tourette's syndrome?

TwoStepN34
05-21-2007, 11:58 PM
I thought this past episode was great, what did yall think?

Ledge
05-22-2007, 08:46 AM
I thought this past episode was great, what did yall think?

Great. These last two are setting up to be absolutely off the charts.

Fan#41
05-25-2007, 06:04 PM
Watched the latest episode yesterday again. I thought it was great and was a solid build for the next few Eps. I loved that scene when Tony was holding AJ by the pool.

Strugz10
05-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Watched the latest episode yesterday again. I thought it was great and was a solid build for the next few Eps. I loved that scene when Tony was holding AJ by the pool.

It was a very moving episode. I can't wait to see how this is all going to go down.

mynameisdon
06-01-2007, 11:45 AM
It was a very moving episode. I can't wait to see how this is all going to go down.

:upyours

pgr17
06-04-2007, 12:37 AM
well fuck.

Strugz10
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
So how's it all gonna end?

I give it a 50/50 chance of Tony surviving.

Fan#41
06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Yikes. Just watched it. Too bad. I always loved Sil's character. Bobby's an idiot and should have been tanked years ago.

Zamboni Guy
06-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Yikes. Just watched it. Too bad. I always loved Sil's character. Bobby's an idiot and should have been tanked years ago.

I don't know why they chose to develop Bobby so much. Not really worth it.

As for Sil, I alway enjoyed his character, too. But, I've read a couple places that Lil Stevie's acting limitations prevented them from developing him more than they did. He really only had one episode with a heavy plot line in recent seasons with "Mayhem".

Fan#41
06-06-2007, 10:21 PM
I don't know why they chose to develop Bobby so much. Not really worth it.

As for Sil, I alway enjoyed his character, too. But, I've read a couple places that Lil Stevie's acting limitations prevented them from developing him more than they did. He really only had one episode with a heavy plot line in recent seasons with "Mayhem".

That would make sense. I mean, he's been there since the beginning(and even earlier in the storyline), the guy owns the Bing, he's Tony's consigliere and yet his character was never focused on except in that episode, and that was minimal at best. Such potential there too. Ah well.

I wonder who's next on the hit list. Paulie, Pat, and Benny are really the only main guys left with Tony.

tbrown4
06-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Sil will not die. He's in the hospital, but he won't die. I'd be very suprised.

Some other folks were trying to convince me that there will be some crazy terrorist related activity happen in the last epsiode. It has kind of been forshadowed. I think Tony and the fam will hop a jet and get out.

Movie coming Summer 2009.

bobblehedjesus
06-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Don't Stop Believing Bitches!

OldNumberSeven
06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
what the hell happened?

djrogyrog
06-10-2007, 09:34 PM
I absolutely loved everything about that ending.

Crumbo
06-10-2007, 10:12 PM
I absolutely loved everything about that ending.

:lmao

what ending?

djrogyrog
06-10-2007, 10:19 PM
:lmao

what ending?

well, what is your opinion of it?

Crumbo
06-10-2007, 10:27 PM
well, what is your opinion of it?

umm, I just gave you my opinion

there was no ending

either, it's up to us to make our own ending or there's gonna be a movie

lame

but when I heard that chase was writing and directing the finale I knew it was not gonna be to my liking

djrogyrog
06-10-2007, 10:33 PM

there was no ending

lame

but when I heard that chase was writing and directing the finale I knew it was not gonna be to my liking

Great.

Zamboni Guy
06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
Posted this at ufck as well. Good recap from a blogger worth reading.

http://blog.nj.com/alltv/2007/06/sopranos_rewind_made_in_americ.html

pepelapag
06-11-2007, 07:33 PM

there was no ending

lame

mind blowingly enlightening.

chase created the series. created the story. if he's "not to your liking," why ever watch the series in the first place?

Crumbo
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
mind blowingly enlightening.

chase created the series. created the story. if he's "not to your liking," why ever watch the series in the first place?

thanks

he asked the question and I answered it

I appreciate you opinions and concerns

JimyThang
06-11-2007, 09:14 PM
All I could think was "You probably don't even hear it when it happens."

pgr17
06-11-2007, 10:59 PM
i still don't get why people think Tony was killed. there is no reason to think that Tony is a target anymore. the war with NY is over. he made the deal with NY and Butchie. that is why he moved the family back into the home. no one needs to avenge the death of Phil as they are now all fighting for the top seat in NY.

it is business as usual for Tony and the family...

JimyThang
06-12-2007, 12:22 AM
There are a bunch of theories which point to Patsy and/or Paulie being rats and they ordered "the hit" on Tony. I just don't feel like explaining them right now. Either way I feel totally satisfied with the ending and am sick of hearing people thinking a movie is on the way.

Zamboni Guy
06-12-2007, 10:17 AM
i still don't get why people think Tony was killed. there is no reason to think that Tony is a target anymore. the war with NY is over. he made the deal with NY and Butchie. that is why he moved the family back into the home. no one needs to avenge the death of Phil as they are now all fighting for the top seat in NY.

it is business as usual for Tony and the family...

I think it's great that people will take away whatever they want. Even if you think he didn't get clipped (which is a completely valid takeaway), there are still many enemies out there that may not need an order to take him out. Just because we're not aware of a specific plot doesn't eliminate that he could be taken out.

The tension created in the last half of the episode, if nothing else, shows that anyone could an enemy. The takeaway for me (regardless of how the ending is interpreted) is that Chase put the viewer in Tony's shoes and really showed the tension he felt all the time. And, the ONLY way he could do it was at the end of the series. Even when Tony was shot last season, there were no real stakes. Everyone knew the series had to include him. But, in this episode, I kept watching the clock run down and not knowing and suspecting everyone must be what it was like for him all the time.

Personally, I interpreted that he got clipped after thinking about it for a couple days. There were a ton of signs over the past few episodes and that last scene...the cadence/pattern of the bell on the door says a lot. Door bell rings, we see Tony look up, and then we see the person coming in from his perspective. It happens multiple times in the same sequence. Then, when Meadow approaches the door, we hear the door bell, see Tony look up, and ball game. Black from Tony's perspective. Chase put us in his shoes in the last scene, including not hearing a thing when it happened. Then, black.

pgr17
06-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Theory No. 1 (and the one I prefer): Chase is using the final scene to place the viewer into Tony's mindset. This is how he sees the world: every open door, every person walking past him could be coming to kill him, or arrest him, or otherwise harm him or his family. This is his life, even though the paranoia's rarely justified. We end without knowing what Tony's looking at because he never knows what's coming next.

i like that idea/theory/whatever

Zamboni Guy
06-12-2007, 12:02 PM
i like that idea/theory/whatever

That's from Alan Sepinwall's Blog. He does an excellent job with his analysis.

His second theory, although he prefers the first.

Theory No. 2: In the scene on the boat in "Soprano Home Movies," repeated again last week, Bobby Bacala suggested that when you get killed, you don't see it coming. Certainly, our man in the Members Only jacket could have gone to the men's room to prepare for killing Tony (shades of the first "Godfather"), and the picture and sound cut out because Tony's life just did. (Or because we, as viewers, got whacked from our life with the show.)

pgr17
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
That's from Alan Sepinwall's Blog. He does an excellent job with his analysis.

His second theory, although he prefers the first.

yeah i don't like the second one, especially the fact of the viewers getting "whacked". i don't even know what that means. the guy in the jacket has no reason to kill Tony so i don't buy that either.

pepelapag
06-12-2007, 04:57 PM
yeah i don't like the second one, especially the fact of the viewers getting "whacked". i don't even know what that means. the guy in the jacket has no reason to kill Tony so i don't buy that either.

the guy in the jacket is Nikki Leotardo, phil's nephew. he appeared briefly in a "sit down" with tony and phil in a previous season. so id say he would have a reason to kill tony.

pgr17
06-12-2007, 05:17 PM
the guy in the jacket is Nikki Leotardo, phil's nephew. he appeared briefly in a "sit down" with tony and phil in a previous season. so id say he would have a reason to kill tony.

uh, actually that is incorrect. that's just an internet rumor that started floating around soon after the episode aired.

Not from Chase, but I feel the need to debunk the e-mail that's making the rounds about all the Holsten's patrons being characters from earlier in the series. The actor playing Members Only guy had never been on the show; Tony killed at least one, if not both, of his carjackers; and there are about 17 other things wrong with this popular but incorrect theory.

you can read the interview with David Chase here: http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1181623651270570.xml&coll=1

pepelapag
06-13-2007, 02:42 AM
uh, actually that is incorrect. that's just an internet rumor that started floating around soon after the episode aired.

you can read the interview with David Chase here: http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1181623651270570.xml&coll=1
even if the guy had never been on the show, it still doesnt negate the theory that tony could have been killed. he may have been killed by anyone or no one. and who knows what motive anyone may have had to kill him.

Zamboni Guy
06-13-2007, 04:24 AM
even if the guy had never been on the show, it still doesnt negate the theory that tony could have been killed. he may have been killed by anyone or no one. and who knows what motive anyone may have had to kill him.

Which is why there was so much tension in the last scene. Whether or not Tony goes is up to anyone's interpretation. We can always debate that.

Personally, I think if Chase would have put a known enemy (even if was only a known enemy to the viewer and not Tony) at the counter instead of "Guy in Members Only Jacket", it would have been too obvious. Think about the guy who killed Phil's look alike in Blue Comet. Had it been Phil, he wouldn't have known that guy either. And, we wouldn't have known who he was if we weren't just previously introduced to him. Better yet, we didn't know who the guys were that shot Bobby. Just hired guns....anonymous to Bobby.

But, I do believe that Chase meant to have the viewer feel like Tony feels in the last scene, except Tony feels that way all the time. And, I stated this before, his best opportunity (and probably his only one) for this was in the last scene of the show because the stakes were not high enough previously. Everything was heightened in that last scene for me, watching everyone and everything differently because you knew the clock was ticking. Regardless of what you think happens after the screen goes dark, I think the tension from Tony's point of view is what Chase really wanted.

The reason I interpret it like I do (that black is Tony being shot) is that from the Point of View perspective, it seems so clear. Doorbell chimes, Tony looks up, and you see the door from Tony's point of view - happens a couple times. The last time, it is doorbell, Tony looks up, shift to his point of view....and black. They even replayed Bobby's comment again earlier in the episode (or the previous) about not hearing anything when you get whacked. Just gone.

Strugz10
06-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I liked the ending. It's completely what I expected, so I'm not disappointed like others.

Zamboni Guy
06-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Pretty in depth analysis....saw this on ufck.

http://www.bobharris.com/content/view/1406/1/

FiddySpence
12-02-2009, 12:33 AM
watching the finale of season 2 right now. it's taken me too long to watch this show.

mja271
12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
I loved the early seasons of this show but I wasn't happy with the last few.

FiddySpence
12-02-2009, 01:13 AM
that's what i hear, but so far it's been flawless.

mja271
12-02-2009, 01:22 AM
that's what i hear, but so far it's been flawless.

yea the early seasons are unbelievable. The season 2 finale was particularly great if I remember correctly. Isn't that the episode where Tony talks to the fish in his dreams?

Either way, the first few season are all time great television.

FiddySpence
12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
yeah, he gets food poisoning and has fever dreams which lead to him confirming pussy's a rat and they cap him.

mja271
12-02-2009, 01:33 AM
haha great shit. I love the scene where he's bed ridden and accuses Artie's food as the cause of food poising.

Tony - "Is that Artie? Send him up!"
Carmela - "Tony, come one"
Tony - "SEND HIM UP!!"

That whole scene on the boat before they whack Pussy is phenomenal. So much tension and emotion.

.Gary.
12-02-2009, 08:58 AM
Season Three.
Pine Barrens.

FiddySpence
01-07-2011, 02:12 AM
watching the pilot again :rawk

i love that tony already mentions Uncle Junior's crack about his athletic ability and that it was "a tremendous blow to my self esteem" :lol

Fan#41
01-09-2011, 01:40 PM
Why did Vito HAVE to come to NH...VT is right next door, I mean come on..

mja271
01-09-2011, 01:59 PM
The whole Vito gay trip was ridiculous and stupid.

FiddySpence
01-09-2011, 02:06 PM
the only weak part of the show, imo, and i didn't even think it was all that terrible.

besides Anthony Jr. of course.

Slowbutspeeding
01-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Just watched Season 5...on to 6 now...

I have watched all of them from start to finish at least twice...I kinda like the dream sequences in these.

FiddySpence
01-09-2011, 03:45 PM
tony's coma/dream stuff in season 6 (or was it 5?) was some amazing work.

blrobl
01-09-2011, 04:08 PM
tony's coma/dream stuff in season 6 (or was it 5?) was some amazing work.

is that where he is the salesman in Vegas and eats peyote and goes to the desert? or something like that.

FiddySpence
01-09-2011, 04:21 PM
is that where he is the salesman in Vegas and eats peyote and goes to the desert? or something like that.

i thought the peyote was a separate thing, but you might be right. either way, it's where he can hear things from the "real world" muffled through the hotel walls and it ends with him being invited inside that home by buscemi where "everyone is waiting for you" or something like that.

brezz
01-10-2011, 08:10 AM
Dream sequence is after he gets shot and is in a coma.

Brian

FiddySpence
01-10-2011, 01:40 PM
i know.

onesweet41
02-18-2011, 05:44 AM
I was so addicted to this show when it first came out, I wish there was more coming!!