PDA

View Full Version : Can you really tell the difference . . .

DMBTex10101
12-13-2006, 12:34 AM
and is it REALLY worth that much damn money??

So I watched a couple football games at a buddies house this weekend. And he had the Hi-Def set up that he spent way too much money on, and frankly I don't see why it's such a big deal. Sure it's a little more clear, but seriously, it can't be worth that much extra money.

Granted I don't watch much TV, but what I have at home is plenty clear, I don't see the need for an upgrade. Now if you didn't have a TV at all, or if yours really does have problems, I can see getting a hi-def TV for that reason. But I don't understand these people paying thousands when they have a perfectly good television at home.

I just don't get it. And I won't be spending my money on a new TV any time soon. What a waste.

Sorry, just what was on my mind as get off the phone with my brother who is planning on spending an absurd amount of money to upgrade his as well.

So who has thrown their money down the drain and retired a perfectly good television to upgrade to this scam known as "Hi-Definition"

walrusstapler
12-13-2006, 12:57 AM
:rolleyes

alexbunke
12-13-2006, 01:10 AM
Watching tennis on a 50" hi-def television is like a whole different experience than watching it on a normal 32" television. I think it's neat.

FERRALL
12-13-2006, 02:06 AM
I only beat off to hd now. There's no way id ever go back.

Buddy The Elf
12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
are you kidding me:lol

Strugz10
12-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Nope, no difference once so ever.

johnny boy
12-13-2006, 10:05 AM
once so ever.

:wtf :wtf

Jack
12-13-2006, 10:19 AM
So who has thrown their money down the drain and retired a perfectly good television to upgrade to this scam known as "Hi-Definition"

You whole post is rather laughable, but this is the most ridiculous part. There is no scam to hi def. The difference, and clarity is almost unbelievable.

If you don't see a mind blowing difference, then your friend probably has his system hooked up wrong (which, unfortunately, is fairly common).

bbycrei
12-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Yah I can definatly see the difference, I'll go even crazier when I start getting better DVDs, but for now I can't afford all of that stuff, the TV, the added cable cost, etc.

For now I'll just mooch off of others if I really need an HD fix.

Jack
12-13-2006, 10:20 AM
only a blind man couldn't see a difference.

bsan83
12-13-2006, 10:22 AM
I was at a bar last time I was up in MA that had a regular TV and an HD-TV right next to each other, showing the same game (USC-ND). The difference was impressive.

johnny boy
12-13-2006, 10:56 AM
I can, without a doubt, tell a difference.

Wescoast
12-13-2006, 11:08 AM
its so much better and more enjoyable that it isnt even funny.

schubox
12-13-2006, 11:10 AM
if you couldn't tell a significant difference, the guy probably had a crap TV or set it up wrong

Chaveznwo
12-13-2006, 11:17 AM
Night and day.

DMBTex10101
12-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Well, yes, I could tell the difference, but the point of the post was the last part of the question.

While I saw the difference, I still don't believe it's worth the amount of money, no way, no how. Not when there is a worthwhile alternative that is so cheap.

I'm just curious, even though you can tell the difference is it really worth it??

Strugz10
12-13-2006, 11:36 AM
:wtf :wtf

Do you like "Nope, no difference at all" better?

Farn Dogg
12-13-2006, 11:42 AM
the difference is just out of this world. I used to be on your side of the fence but that was before I got one and watched it and then tried watching the nonHD stations. Its almost painful to watch the NFL without HD.

noletorious901
12-13-2006, 12:32 PM
I think there is a great difference, especially when watching sports. Now that I have seen HDTV, there is no going back.

Wescoast
12-13-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm just curious, even though you can tell the difference is it really worth it??

yup, no question about it. especially now that the tvs are dropping significantly. a couple years ago it was too much, i agree. not anymore.

The Great Inventor
12-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Do you like "Nope, no difference at all" better?

He was referring to the fact that you think it's "once so ever" instead of "whatsoever"

ethaxton
12-13-2006, 01:30 PM
HDTV's aren't that expensive anymore, and are easily worth the money. Watching regular tv now is like going from an xbox 360 to a Sega Genesis.

Strugz10
12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
He was referring to the fact that you think it's "once so ever" instead of "whatsoever"

Woah, I never realized that's the proper way to say it until just now.

:scared

Buddy The Elf
12-13-2006, 02:33 PM
what a retarded thread

DMBTex10101
12-13-2006, 10:26 PM
HDTV's aren't that expensive anymore, and are easily worth the money. Watching regular tv now is like going from an xbox 360 to a Sega Genesis.

That's an entire other topic in itself. Like buying a $600 PS3 to play the same games you've been playing for the past 7 years on the original PS & PS2, I just don't get it. Video game football is video game football, period.

But cool, if you guys think it's worth it, go for it. I, on the other hand, will stick to my regular TV until it craps out and I have to replace it. Then I'm sure I'll be forced to go Hi-Def.

I still don't see how it can make that much of a difference on anything (especially sports).

Crumbo
12-13-2006, 10:41 PM
the difference is just out of this world. I used to be on your side of the fence but that was before I got one and watched it and then tried watching the nonHD stations. Its almost painful to watch the NFL without HD.

:coolguy

alexbunke
12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Woah, I never realized that's the proper way to say it until just now.

:scaredHahahha.

DMBZeppelin
12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
That's an entire other topic in itself. Like buying a $600 PS3 to play the same games you've been playing for the past 7 years on the original PS & PS2, I just don't get it. Video game football is video game football, period.

But cool, if you guys think it's worth it, go for it. I, on the other hand, will stick to my regular TV until it craps out and I have to replace it. Then I'm sure I'll be forced to go Hi-Def.

I still don't see how it can make that much of a difference on anything (especially sports).
Your friend probably had it set up wrong, or the station you were watching it in didn't have true HD. Sometimes stations broadcast their programs in HD, but it's not shot with HD-Cameras. That can also make a huge difference. Over the next couple years you'll have to convert. I know congress passed a bill to delay it till 08' but by that time all stations have to broadcast in High-Def. The only way you'll be able to use old t.v's is if you buy a converter. Not sure what kind of set up you'll need to do that. Which sucks cause you'll have to buy equipment that basically downgrades your signal.

DMBZeppelin
12-15-2006, 10:02 PM
I guess they extended the deadline. Analog television broadcast to end February 2009. http://www.benton.org/index.php?q=node/1257 has a lot of info on it.

DMBTex10101
12-15-2006, 10:28 PM
Your friend probably had it set up wrong, or the station you were watching it in didn't have true HD. Sometimes stations broadcast their programs in HD, but it's not shot with HD-Cameras. That can also make a huge difference. Over the next couple years you'll have to convert. I know congress passed a bill to delay it till 08' but by that time all stations have to broadcast in High-Def. The only way you'll be able to use old t.v's is if you buy a converter. Not sure what kind of set up you'll need to do that. Which sucks cause you'll have to buy equipment that basically downgrades your signal.

Yeah I was afraid of this. I, personally, would rather just dump the TV than upgrade. I don't watch hardly any television at all. My wife on the other hand would not be too happy if I did that, and thus I will probably end up paying for this crap.