PDA

View Full Version : External Hard Drive Crash

MJRetro23
12-28-2006, 09:39 PM
I think my external hard drive just crashed. I was attempting to save something to it and a pop up window came up and said that the file was unable to download completely and to save it somewhere else. I tried it again and the same thing happened, so I double clicked on the external hard drive and it's empty. All of my iTunes music, DMB videos, DVD's, everything. Is there any way to retrieve these files, or am I just screwed?

dsera
12-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I think my external hard drive just crashed. I was attempting to save something to it and a pop up window came up and said that the file was unable to download completely and to save it somewhere else. I tried it again and the same thing happened, so I double clicked on the external hard drive and it's empty. All of my iTunes music, DMB videos, DVD's, everything. Is there any way to retrieve these files, or am I just screwed?
Reboot?

MJRetro23
12-28-2006, 10:05 PM
It seems like not only is dsera the queen of the DMB boards, but also computer problems as well. After a simple reboot, everything is there. Thank You

dsera
12-28-2006, 10:20 PM
It seems like not only is dsera the queen of the DMB boards, but also computer problems as well. After a simple reboot, everything is there. Thank You
:lol Windows sucks. It doesn't like external drives or SATA drives. Mine does that on occassion. Now if you hear a click click click and then your drive doesn't show in your BIOS.. then you're screwed.

kaisek
12-28-2006, 10:21 PM
:lol Windows sucks. It doesn't like external drives or SATA drives. Mine does that on occassion. Now if you hear a click click click and then your drive doesn't show in your BIOS.. then you're screwed.

click click clicks are bad.... oh I hate that noise.

lude
12-29-2006, 01:31 AM
if it clicks then put your HD in the freezer for a day in a plasic bag (to avoid moisture). You'll have a small window of time to back everything up if you're lucky.

dsera
12-29-2006, 02:44 AM
if it clicks then put your HD in the freezer for a day in a plasic bag (to avoid moisture). You'll have a small window of time to back everything up if you're lucky.
Yeah, that doesn't work.

Zamboni Guy
12-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, that doesn't work.

Sometimes, it does work.

Strugz10
12-29-2006, 01:36 PM

You serious Clark?

dsera
12-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Sometimes, it does work.
Yeah one out of a million it might work but that's only because the drive crashed from overheating. It sure won't hurt to try it but don't get your hopes up of it every actually working.

lude
12-30-2006, 01:41 AM
I didn't know it only worked for overheating. Well, I got lucky once anyway. It's worth a shot if it happens anyway.

kaisek
12-30-2006, 11:40 PM
I didn't know it only worked for overheating. Well, I got lucky once anyway. It's worth a shot if it happens anyway.

if something mechanical is busted, then obviously that will not work.

toms
12-31-2006, 04:40 PM
norton ghost and partition table doctor have saved me several times......they are both on oink, get them

dsera
12-31-2006, 10:21 PM
norton ghost and partition table doctor have saved me several times......they are both on oink, get them
How in the hell do you figure Ghost is going to help a drive crash? And Partition Table Doctor won't do shit for you if it's a hardware failure.

sarge
01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
How in the hell do you figure Ghost is going to help a drive crash? And Partition Table Doctor won't do shit for you if it's a hardware failure.
please don't change who you are in the new year :lol

dsera
01-01-2007, 12:47 PM
please don't change who you are in the new year :lol
:)

dmbfan36_23
01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Welllll..... that's not entirely true dear.... if the hardware is FAILING, but not totally dead yet (clicking doesn't mean dead for good... you can try and put the drive in the freezer for a couple hours and sometimes that brings it back to life)... anyways... on a failing drive you can use Ghost to try and pull off an image before it's completely fucked...

Also, when a drive is failing, hardware related.. you may end up with a bunch of bad sectors at the beginning of the drive fucking up the partition table (or the MFT on an NTFS partition)... in cases like this you can sometimes use partition tools to repair the table or salvage the file structure data......

dmbfan36_23
01-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Yeah, that doesn't work.
Yeah -- it does... I did it the other day.... <ducks>

dsera
01-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Well I guess you showed me. Hey, I never said I can't be proven wrong. It just doesn't happen very often. Enjoy it Tash and be glad I like you. :hi

dmbfan36_23
01-02-2007, 11:24 AM
be glad I like you. :hi
be glad I like you or my response might've had more flame on it :lol

dsera
01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
be glad I like you or my response might've had more flame on it :lol
Hey sweetie, anytime you feel squirrelly you just jump. I'm a big girl. :)

dmbfan36_23
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey sweetie, anytime you feel squirrelly you just jump. I'm a big girl. :)
Right here in front of everyone?!?! :jawdrop

dsera
01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Right here in front of everyone?!?! :jawdrop
:lol cute