PDA

View Full Version : Grey Street Chords.

dmb448
01-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone has accurate chords to Grey Street. I want to learn how to play the chords like the short version the band, dave & tim, and dave has played solo over these years. I am really in love with this song right now so if anyone is able to post up the correct chord information I'll be grateful. Thanks for the help.

firedncin8nancy
01-24-2010, 06:17 PM
see dmbtabs.com for all your tabbing needs

Josh.0
01-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the main chords' names (what are they called) during the Grey Street verses? I always call them Dave chords, but I do not know what they are formally referred as.

You guys know the ones I'm talking about; they're also used in Billies, LIOG, Too Much, JTR, etc.

Yeedog
01-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Just out of curiosity, what are the main chords' names (what are they called) during the Grey Street verses? I always call them Dave chords, but I do not know what they are formally referred as.

You guys know the ones I'm talking about; they're also used in Billies, LIOG, Too Much, JTR, etc.

Its been while since my music theory classes so I could be off and I'm sure somebody will correct me. The Dave chords like grey street are just the 1 and 3 in of the full triad. So a normal chord is usually a triad (1, 3, 5) in the scale. The numbers are the positions of the notes in the scale.

So for the first chord in Grey Street he is playing a Bm, but just the 1 and 3.

B minor

B, C♯, D, E, F♯, G, A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

B minor chord is B,D,F#, but Dave just plays the B and D.

G major

G, A, B, C, D, E, F♯
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

G major chord is G, B ,D, but Dave just plays the G and B.

A major

A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

G major chord is A, C#, E, but Dave just plays the A and C#.

F# minor

F♯, G♯, A, B, C♯, D, E
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

F# minor chord is F3, A, C#, but Dave just plays the F# and A

so the chords of Grey street is:

Bm GM AM F#m GM AM F#m GM

E|---------------|----------------|
B|---------------|----------------|
G|7----4---6--2--|-4---6--2---4---|
D|X----X---X--X--|-X---X--X---X---|
A|X----X---X--X--|-X---X--X---X---|
E|7----3---5--2--|-3---5--2---3---|

Any as you can see the verse is in the key of B minor, based on the chords we are playing and the B minor scale.

Though when you get to the chorus we are now in D major, which is the relative major to B minor.

D Major
D, E, F♯, G, A, B, C♯

Bm A/C# DM GM
E:-2---------2----3--
B:-3----2----3----0--
G:-4----2----2----0--
D:-4----2----0----0--
A:-2----4---------2--
E:----------------3--

Josh.0
01-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Holy crap thanks for the info Brian. I know so little about music theory and am purely the product of tabs, so this is a nice writeup.

Yeedog
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM
No problem. That's one thing I made sure to do in college was take a music theory course for a Gen Ed. I ended up taking 2 semester of music theory for music majors and learned a shit tons of stuff, but I hardly ever use it.

I still wish I could site read music like when I was taking those classes. You couldn't pass the course if you couldn't read music fast. It's like trying to write an essay and not knowing English.