PDA

View Full Version : Live Trax 06 - July 7 & 8, 2006 | Fenway Park, Boston, MA

Jack
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3897/4582077357082746083ez.jpg

Memories of the Dave Matthews Band shows in Fenway Park are certain to burn bright for a long while in the minds of the fortunate fans that were in attendence. Dave Matthews Band was on the top of its game in the historic ballpark performing back-to-back nights of shows exploding with energy.

Dave Matthews Band
July 7, 2006
Fenway Park
Boston, MA

Everyday (You Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd)
Pig
Proudest Monkey >
Satellite
The Idea of You
Grey Street
Bartender (If I Only Had a Brain)
Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken)
Jimi Thing (For What It's Worth)
The Last Stop (Reprise)
Digging a Ditch
Tripping Billies
Can't Stop
Hunger for the Great Light
Louisiana Bayou
Ants Marching
-Encore-
Smooth Rider
Stay (Wasting Time)

Dave Matthews Band
July 8, 2006
Fenway Park
Boston, MA

One Sweet World
What Would You Say?
Don't Drink the Water
Say Goodbye
Grace Is Gone (Hoedown outro, Black Water)
American Baby
Break Free
Sweet Caroline >
So Much to Say >
Anyone Seen the Bridge? >
Too Much
Can't Stop
Crush (In the Hall of the Mountain King, St. Thomas)
What You Are
Dancing Nancies >
Warehouse (Louie Louie)
Pantala Naga Pampa >
Rapunzel (Hollywood Swingin)
American Baby Intro >
Two Step

Jack
04-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I think this is an underrated release. Roi on Grace makes this whole release for me. American Baby is also awesome.

Tomacco
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah. I really enjoy a lot of performances on this. Grace, IOY, AB, Crush, DDWT, Rapunzel, Last Stop, Ditch, WWYS... good to have Break Free too, even though it's not a fave of mine and Dave's a jerk before it.

raven
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah this is a good release performance-wise but the main reason I don't listen to it more is the annoying crowd mix. I was at these shows too.

batleon
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I was at N2, which was a great show. But yeah the crowd mix is terrible and N1 has some seriously rough patches.

NiCK Crush
04-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Not bad

FiddySpence
04-01-2011, 12:56 PM
real good American Baby. that's about it.

JWood
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
I think this is an underrated release. Roi on Grace makes this whole release for me. American Baby is also awesome.

:upyours pretty good mix too

Although, there were some really great 2006 shows that could've been released instead.

Jack
04-01-2011, 02:14 PM
:upyours pretty good mix too

Although, there were some really great 2006 shows that could've been released instead.

except for the crowd. Which is so fucking dumb.

Slowbutspeeding
04-01-2011, 02:34 PM
What a fun two shows. I lived about 5 min walking distance from both times DMB was at Fenway, so much fun and they rocked that shit. I think they are the only artist to play fenway 4 times. Cant believe fenway is getting backstreet boys and nsync this summer, place is gonna be empty haha

patsfan39
04-01-2011, 02:53 PM
N1 was my first show. Although it wasnt an all time great show, Ive pretty much been hooked ever since.

I remember listening to Bartender from Folsom in the car on the way in, and hearing it was such a treat. Right after the show, i went home and made a mix on my Ipod of the songs i heard that night, since i didnt yet know about tapers.

Joined the boards about a month or two later.

Slowbutspeeding
04-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Thats awesome

batleon
04-01-2011, 04:13 PM
First show was in '06? I'm sorry. Sometimes I feel like I missed a lot of good DMB but at least I hit a few good shows before Stand Up and Everyday.

Hope you went to N2 too. Much better show.

cryfreedom09
04-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree that these are underrated. Not the best mix but I still enjoy this release for the performances.

Slowbutspeeding
04-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I started seeing the band in 1999 and I am more then happy with the year I started and shows ive seen.

Fan#41
04-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Agreed. Bartender and DDTW intro were solid too and cool to have an Idea Of You released before the drum change.

SoftMacho
04-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I appreciate the Idea of You and Break Free from this release.

NiCK Crush
04-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Yea, I've listened to that Idea of You more than any other version, easily.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 01:25 AM
I missed a lot obviously since my first show was in winter 02, but knowing what I've seen, it definitely feels like I would have missed out on some awesome stuff had I not gone to a show until 2006. My 2002-2004 shows will always be unique and amazing. I kinda look at 2005-2007 as its own era in a way. I absolutely LOVE so many shows and performances from that time, but there was a definite vibe of "is the end soon?" during those years. But those first Burgettstown shows of 2008 were a huge turning point and security for me as a DMB fan, proving that a whole new beast was emerging.

JWood
04-02-2011, 03:59 PM
I appreciate the Idea of You and Break Free from this release.

Yea, I've listened to that Idea of You more than any other version, easily.

the lyric about combat boots :boohoo

dahpissah
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I've never understood why people say the "crowd mix sucks" on this. Maybe I just have no idea idea what the fuck I'm talking about, but I don't see how the crowd sounds any different than any other live release. (with the exception of older releases or venues with small capacities)

bbycrei
04-02-2011, 09:03 PM
I've never understood why people say the "crowd mix sucks" on this. Maybe I just have no idea idea what the fuck I'm talking about, but I don't see how the crowd sounds any different than any other live release. (with the exception of older releases or venues with small capacities)

Two examples that come to my mind is the lack of crowd during Sweet Caroline and the random crowd noise going up and down all over The Idea of You.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 09:14 PM
it's not just idea of you, there's random crowd cheers all over the thing that are completely fake.

gweeps
04-02-2011, 09:16 PM
Only song I ever listen to anymore is Break Free.

cryfreedom09
04-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Only song I ever listen to anymore is Break Free.

Incredible song.

Jack
04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Incredible song.

Incredibly bad lyrics.

gweeps
04-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Incredible song.

It's a shame they dropped it because I have a feeling that Ross would have toned down his squawking over time.

gweeps
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Incredibly bad lyrics.

Strangely, I don't give a shit how embarrassing they are.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Incredible song.

:lol

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Musically I really like the first couple versions of Break Free. It was pretty cool to be there for the debut of the song, which I think is definitely the best version (either that or the other couple with Roi solos).

JimBeam41
04-02-2011, 11:26 PM

C'mon, how can you be a fan of this band and say American Baby was the only thing good to come out of these shows. Some of you guys who post on these boards all the time are laughable at how much you critique this band.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 11:31 PM
C'mon, how can you be a fan of this band and say American Baby was the only thing good to come out of these shows. Some of you guys who post on these boards all the time are laughable at how much you critique this band.

this is funny because i've been referred to frequently as a dmb apologist around here.

N1's set is basically shit, and i in general don't really like the band's sound around that time.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 11:36 PM

:upyours Though I don't think anyone's saying the shows are horrible or unlistenable or anything. Everyone's probably just talking relatively, saying that among all the live releases and everything, this one doesn't offer them much that stands out. I don't think people here actually dislike this though (aside from probably Hunger, Can't Stop, Smooth Rider, Bayou, and a couple other songs). They just wouldn't rank the performances themselves among their favorites.

Also, n1's set is pretty good until the last few songs, imo. N2's set is one of the best I've ever witnessed, though. So solid from beginning to end.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 11:38 PM
:upyours Though I don't think anyone's saying the shows are horrible or unlistenable or anything. Everyone's probably just talking relatively, saying that among all the live releases and everything, this one doesn't offer them much that stands out. I don't think people here actually dislike this though (aside from probably Hunger, Can't Stop, Smooth Rider, Bayou, and a couple other songs). They just wouldn't rank the performances themselves among their favorites.

i genuinely dislike these shows, especially N1. not just compared to the great releases we have. and i think it's fucked that these shows qualify for the "if you don't like them how you can be a fan" business now.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 11:47 PM
i genuinely dislike these shows, especially N1. not just compared to the great releases we have. and i think it's fucked that these shows qualify for the "if you don't like them how you can be a fan" business now.

Yeah but you're exaggerating. If you were on a road trip with your buddy, and he put on a mix from N1, featuring Pig, Bartender, IOY, Jimi Thing, PM > Satellite, Last Stop > Ditch, Billies, and Ants, I strongly doubt you'd throw a shit fit and demand it be turned off. That's all I'm saying. People exaggerate to make a relative point. You still like those songs, and nothing about these performances destroys the essence of them (it's not like Dave's voice is gone, or Boyd is butchering them with skrees or anything).

And I personally just don't see what's to dislike about N2. I just don't get that.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah but you're exaggerating. If you were on a road trip with your buddy, and he put on a mix from N1, featuring Pig, Bartender, IOY, Jimi Thing, PM > Satellite, Last Stop > Ditch, Billies, and Ants, I strongly doubt you'd throw a shit fit and demand it be turned off. That's all I'm saying. People exaggerate to make a relative point.

of course i wouldn't throw a shit fit if he cherry picked the handful of performances from that set that were decent, come on now. that said, i don't like that IoY, i don't like those mid '00's Jimi's (2004-2007), i'm not particularly fond of those slowed down extra mellow PM's, i don't like Satellite in general, and i really don't like Ditch.

i know that sounds like i hate the band, but it's just that N1's set (and to a lesser extent N2) happen to contain most of the songs i don't like, and not just SU tunes. couple that with the band at their most, imo, jazz-lite sound and i just flat out don't like them. that's not an exaggeration, and it's not like i think they're the worst shows the band has released or anything.

also, my friends don't listen to DMB. they have better taste than i do.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 11:55 PM
Why would anyone call you a DMB apologist when you dislike that many songs? :)

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
This thread makes me wanna listen to n2. Been awhile. Awesome GiG, WWYS, AB, DDTW, Crush, Warehouse.

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Why would anyone call you a DMB apologist when you dislike that many songs? :)

heh. just the idiots that want them to go back to that shitty mall jazz sound.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
heh. just the idiots that want them to go back to that shitty mall jazz sound.

Haha, mall jazz. More exaggeration! (though I guess I can give you the Bartender outros)

FiddySpence
04-02-2011, 11:59 PM

FiddySpence
04-03-2011, 12:02 AM
Haha, mall jazz. More exaggeration! (though I guess I can give you the Bartender outros)

disagree completely, a lot of their playing and the songs they wrote in that time are tailor made for wal marts, grocery stores, and the elevator... IMO

FiddySpence
04-03-2011, 12:03 AM
This thread makes me wanna listen to n2. Been awhile. Awesome GiG, WWYS, AB, DDTW, Crush, Warehouse.

i listened to both shows 6 months ago or so and they're fresh enough in my mind that i completely stand by my opinion.

anyway, i don't want to make this entire thread about how i think these shows and this release aren't good. if you dig it, more power to you.

Tomacco
04-03-2011, 12:09 AM
i listened to both shows 6 months ago or so and they're fresh enough in my mind that i completely stand by my opinion.

anyway, i don't want to make this entire thread about how i think these shows and this release aren't good. if you dig it, more power to you.

No, I know. And you're not alone either. S'all good.

Mersh
04-03-2011, 07:21 AM

:lol

onesweet41
04-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Bad crowd mix but I love pig on this one

dahpissah
04-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Two examples that come to my mind is the lack of crowd during Sweet Caroline and the random crowd noise going up and down all over The Idea of You.

lol I don't notice this at all, but The Idea Of You is my favorite song from the release so maybe I'm just not looking for it.

batleon
04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
The irony is strong in this thread.

patsfan39
04-04-2011, 09:00 PM
First show was in '06? I'm sorry. Sometimes I feel like I missed a lot of good DMB but at least I hit a few good shows before Stand Up and Everyday.

Hope you went to N2 too. Much better show.

I definitely didnt catch on too early with dmb. I had always enjoyed their singles, but never got around to really exploring their catalog until high school, thats really what made me want to go to a show.

Decided against going to Mansfield in 05 and when the Fenway shows came up, it was too good to pass up.

patsfan39
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
double post.

greykitkat36
04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
I personally feel these shows were among the worst DMB performances released, they're up there. I mean, I can't think of a show that's been released that's worse.

batleon
04-04-2011, 11:03 PM
I personally feel these shows were among the worst DMB performances released, they're up there. I mean, I can't think of a show that's been released that's worse.

A bit harsh man. N2 is pretty good.

And nothing's worse than LT10.

Tomacco
04-05-2011, 12:24 AM

:lol What? 9/6/02, 9/9/05, 9/12/05, LT4, LT10, 3/23/07, FF among others come to mind right away as certainly not being as good as 7/8/06. What can be so horrible about a show that's basically made up entirely of classic DMB songs aside from American Baby, Break Free, ABI and Can't Stop?

FiddySpence
04-05-2011, 12:42 AM
:lol What? 9/6/02, 9/9/05, 9/12/05, LT4, LT10, 3/23/07, FF among others come to mind right away as certainly not being as good as 7/8/06. What can be so horrible about a show that's basically made up entirely of classic DMB songs aside from American Baby, Break Free, ABI and Can't Stop?

they played them the way they played everything in 2006. kind of shitty.

batleon
04-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm down on '06 as much as (if not more than) most people but N2 of this is solid as hell.

Mersh
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM

The performances aren't that good.

batleon
04-05-2011, 11:04 AM
The performances aren't that good.

I mean in the grand scheme of things this is another venue release that doesn't stack up to most of the shows they've put out. But this is not their worst release.

raven
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah I still think the shows were fairly strong, but the lousy crowd mix detracts from that

FiddySpence
04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
I mean in the grand scheme of things this is another venue release that doesn't stack up to most of the shows they've put out. But this is not their worst release.
no one's saying it is. but it is objectively not worthy of the type of defenses it's getting from people.

batleon
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
no one's saying it is. but it is objectively not worthy of the type of defenses it's getting from people.

This would imply it's the worst release:

I mean, I can't think of a show that's been released that's worse.

If nothing else is worse, that makes this one the worst by default.

I mean, I was at N2 so I fully admit it's hard for me to be objective.

Tomacco
04-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I was at n2 also, but I was at Red Rocks, and I'll happily state that at least n1 and n4 of RR were worse.

Mersh
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Worse or just less awesome?

FiddySpence
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
This would imply it's the worst release:

If nothing else is worse, that makes this one the worst by default.

I mean, I was at N2 so I fully admit it's hard for me to be objective.

i pulled a nick and skimmed over that post.

greykitkat36
04-05-2011, 01:13 PM
they played them the way they played everything in 2006. kind of shitty.

:upyours Uninspired performances, the band sounded tired and lifeless compared to other shows. 9/6/02 is miles better than this as are the most the shows people thought were worse. Maybe I can see an argument for LT10 being worse, but even that has some energy to it. Maybe it's the mix or something, but eh.

batleon
04-05-2011, 01:40 PM
I concede that the mix is a big hit to this release. The crowd mix is ridiculous.