PDA

View Full Version : Live Trax 09 - March 23 & 24, 2007 | MGM Grand Las Vegas, Las Vegas, NV

Jack
04-01-2011, 11:02 AM
http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5567/458207694135373027f5z.jpg

Not having played a show since October, DMB just pulled off a couple of amazing evenings in Vegas. Last night, Dave described a time many years ago when he worked in bar where many musicians performed on a small stage in the window. He prepared a tape of songs he'd written and passed it on to Carter and LeRoi, alluding to the forming of the band. The tape included the song I'll Back You Up, which the band proceeded to play for the first time in years. The shows here saw the return of some of the best cover tunes the band has played, including The Maker, Down By The River, Time Of The Season and Sweet Caroline. Dave also sang the lyrics to Lanois' Still Water over the intro to Don't Drink The Water. A very cool moment.

Dave Matthews Band
March 23, 2007
MGM Grand Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV

Pantala Naga Pampa >
Rapunzel
Satellite
When the World Ends
Time of the Season
Hunger for the Great Light
Dreamgirl
Say Goodbye
The Idea of You
Louisiana Bayou
I'll Back You Up
Down by the River
Crush
The Maker
Jimi Thing
Stay (Wasting Time)
Sister (Dave solo)
Everyday (You Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd, #36) >
What You Are

Dave Matthews Band
March 24, 2007
MGM Grand Las Vegas
Las Vegas, NV

Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken)
You Might Die Trying
Grey Street
Sweet Caroline >
What Would You Say?
The Idea of You
Seek Up
Still Water >
Don't Drink the Water
Dancing Nancies
Where Are You Going?
The Maker
Louisiana Bayou
Stolen Away on 55th & 3rd
Down by the River
Too Much
Tripping Billies
Gravedigger
American Baby Intro >
Halloween

FiddySpence
04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
i do not like these shows.

Rowsdower
04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Some unique moments in both of these shows, but as a release, I don't really care for it. At least they tried some different stuff though.

JWood
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
ABI Whistler :boohoo

NiCK Crush
04-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Yea yea these shows are pretty crappy.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vmxXkzGptz8/SgsS7BkH7YI/AAAAAAAAARk/AEvsiIV7fwE/s400/Yeah+Yeah.jpg

Mersh
04-01-2011, 04:17 PM
not very good as far as LTs go.

Jack
04-01-2011, 04:42 PM
not very good as far as LTs go.

or as anything goes.

Mersh
04-01-2011, 05:27 PM
or as anything goes.

well yeah, that too.

SoftMacho
04-01-2011, 05:34 PM
I like the N2 set.

cryfreedom09
04-01-2011, 06:20 PM
As said before not the best shows but I love the Seek Up.

Tomacco
04-02-2011, 02:06 AM
As shows, not incredible, but there are great performances. The Maker n2 still gets so many plays from me even four years later.

gweeps
04-02-2011, 03:16 AM
The Maker from N1 is my favourite version.

gweeps
04-02-2011, 03:29 AM
The Maker n2 still gets so many plays from me even four years later.Roi and Ross are much more animated on this recording. But I prefer the subdued nature of N1s.

MaLaKaS
04-04-2011, 08:47 PM
This is one of those examples where a compilation of both nights would have rather been a better choice.

Tomacco
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I remember at the time this version of YMDT made me do a total 180 on that song, which was a pretty big deal. Then the debut version of 2008 just made me fall in love with it.

greykitkat36
04-05-2011, 01:16 PM
whats going on with threads about the worst DMB releases? Come on.

batleon
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
whats going on with threads about the worst DMB releases? Come on.

Why don't you top the threads for the good ones then?

onesweet41
04-21-2011, 03:29 AM
My in-laws were at this show, even though it wasn't all that great, I still wish I could have gone

Caveat Emperor
04-21-2011, 07:12 AM
I think the only tracks off this LT that I still listen to with any regularity are Down by the River and Time of the Season.

Everything else is kind of "eh...." I imagine they would be fun shows to have been at, since the setlists are pretty random, though.

mja271
04-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I remember the randomness of the sets being kind of exciting, but they're really not very good, nor do they hold up well on tape. The Halloween is awful. I do however enjoy the IOY and agree with Tomacco that this was the first YMDT that got extended listening for me.

Jack
04-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I remember they left Halloween off the official setlist and people were wondering how the hell they ended a show with ABI. Probably would have been better because that version is horrid.

cgator41
04-21-2011, 08:44 AM
PNP is especially beautiful on this album.

mja271
04-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I do remember that Dave had quit smoking a few months before this show. His voice had been borderline terrible in 06, and a lot of people were wondering how he would sound. Coming out w/ PNP>Rapunzel and Satellite he really nailed the falsetto parts. That was nice.

Tomacco
04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
I remember they left Halloween off the official setlist and people were wondering how the hell they ended a show with ABI. Probably would have been better because that version is horrid.

:lol So overdramatic.

Dino
04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
I do remember that Dave had quit smoking a few months before this show. His voice had been borderline terrible in 06, and a lot of people were wondering how he would sound. Coming out w/ PNP>Rapunzel and Satellite he really nailed the falsetto parts. That was nice.

I remember that vividly as well. I remember being shocked at how much better his voice sounded. Seemed like night and day at the time.

FiddySpence
04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
:lol So overdramatic.

it's really bad.

Tomacco
04-21-2011, 05:57 PM
it's really bad.

I was speaking more to the "it would have been better if they ended with ABI" notion.

FiddySpence
04-21-2011, 06:04 PM
I was speaking more to the "it would have been better if they ended with ABI" notion.

well, that halloween is really bad

Fan#41
04-21-2011, 06:11 PM
It's hollow and lifeless, kinda like the RR '05 performance.

Tomacco
04-21-2011, 06:33 PM
It could be the worst version ever and if you were at the show you'd be going apeshit and would think anyone who would have rather had ABI close was the most ridiculous human ever. I'm in no rush to defend the actual performance of it or RR05's, but ABI ending and not having Halloween at all is mental.

holdyouclose
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I was there both nights, nothing special, except for it being Vegas....Crash opener was wierd, and Halloween left me wanting something else...hell, I would've taken Watchtower

FiddySpence
04-21-2011, 10:06 PM
It could be the worst version ever and if you were at the show you'd be going apeshit and would think anyone who would have rather had ABI close was the most ridiculous human ever. I'm in no rush to defend the actual performance of it or RR05's, but ABI ending and not having Halloween at all is mental.

you must really love halloween if this is your opinion

Tomacco
04-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Haha, ok here's my rant. I don't understand this fanbase anymore if they really honestly would have the throwaway track from Stand Up end a show instead of a less than stellar performance of a song that is at least a real song, and a good one, and a live favorite, AND a rarity, even if the version isn't the best.

Seriously? What's happened? If this is the case, I'd rather be the Halloween-crazy 2002 DMB fan (which I never even was) than today's fan. Do you guys miss ABI? Or will you just not tolerate a less than incredible version of a great song? Either option confuses me. Besides, I distinctly remember people being pretty okay with ABI disappearing. Dunno what's changed. Or maybe I'm just paying too much attention to dissident's opinion, which tends to be frequently contrary to my opinion, and he's on this board constantly so his opinion is frequently posted.

FiddySpence
04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
i think Jack was just exaggerating/joking to make a point.

Tomacco
04-22-2011, 02:34 AM
Mersh didn't post anything....

FiddySpence
04-22-2011, 02:36 AM
whoops, fixed.

Fan#41
04-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Haha, ok here's my rant. I don't understand this fanbase anymore if they really honestly would have the throwaway track from Stand Up end a show instead of a less than stellar performance of a song that is at least a real song, and a good one, and a live favorite, AND a rarity, even if the version isn't the best.

Seriously? What's happened? If this is the case, I'd rather be the Halloween-crazy 2002 DMB fan (which I never even was) than today's fan. Do you guys miss ABI? Or will you just not tolerate a less than incredible version of a great song? Either option confuses me. Besides, I distinctly remember people being pretty okay with ABI disappearing. Dunno what's changed. Or maybe I'm just paying too much attention to dissident's opinion, which tends to be frequently contrary to my opinion, and he's on this board constantly so his opinion is frequently posted.

While I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled ABI closing out a show, it's not that horrible of a piece that I would rather take a lifeless and hollow performance of another song just to make sure ABI didn't close out the show.

Mersh
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM

I think you took Jack way too seriously.

Tomacco
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM

I thought I might be, but other people seem to be echoing his idea, so... I dunno.

Mersh
04-22-2011, 12:25 PM

I thought I might be, but other people seem to be echoing his idea, so... I dunno.
I think most people are saying that Halloween sucks, which it in fact does.

FiddySpence
04-22-2011, 12:40 PM
BUT WHAT IF YOU WERE THERE!!!

:rolleyes

Tomacco
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Throw as many sarcastic quips and eye rolls my way. It was suggested that ending with ABI is better than ending with a lacking version of Halloween. Whether you were there or not or whatever, doesn't make a difference. If you think ending a show with a shitty version of Halloween is worse than ending a show with just ABI, I'm very happy to totally disagree completely. That's all I gotta say about it.

Mersh
04-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Throw as many sarcastic quips and eye rolls my way. It was suggested that ending with ABI is better than ending with a lacking version of Halloween. Whether you were there or not or whatever, doesn't make a difference. If you think ending a show with a shitty version of Halloween is worse than ending a show with just ABI, I'm very happy to totally disagree completely. That's all I gotta say about it.

hyperbole to illustrate that the Halloween was bad.

MaLaKaS
04-22-2011, 03:02 PM
hmm, interesting debate

Mersh
04-22-2011, 03:20 PM
hmm, interesting debate

not in the least

MaLaKaS
04-22-2011, 03:31 PM
not in the least

haha I was being sarcastic :)

Mersh
04-22-2011, 03:49 PM
haha I was being sarcastic :)

I know

Jack
04-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Show me where someone said this.

Jack
04-22-2011, 09:09 PM
And I kept reading. Tomacco must have had a bad day. Yikes.

Tomacco
04-23-2011, 01:44 PM
And I kept reading. Tomacco must have had a bad day. Yikes.

I wasn't really having a bad day, I just felt like going on a rant about it, hahah. But at the moment I am kind of just annoyed with DMB in general, whether it's the constant money-gouging with these festivals and "deluxe" versions of live releases, as well as the ridiculous things fans complain about in regards to the music itself. I assume everyone has days, like I occasionally do, where they come here, see some ridiculous superfan discussion and ask themselves what they're wasting their time on discussing and reading and being a part of. But I always get drawn back in, regardless of these days or weeks where I'm sick of the whole scene. Seeing the suggestion that ABI closing a show over a not-the-best version of Halloween throws a wrench in any sense I can make out of this confusing, picky, hypocritical fanbase. Lately the only thing not irritating me about this band is the music itself - which I guess is a good thing. I probably need a break from every other aspect of it.

Here's where it was said, by the way, as well as heavily suggested in a couple other instances, whether hyperbole or not:
While I probably wouldn't be all that thrilled ABI closing out a show, it's not that horrible of a piece that I would rather take a lifeless and hollow performance of another song just to make sure ABI didn't close out the show.

FiddySpence
04-23-2011, 03:38 PM
dude, that halloween is fucking TERRIBLE not just "not-the-best"

Mersh
04-23-2011, 04:17 PM
That Halloween straight blows. Also, not everyone thinks Halloween is that great of a tune whether the performance is good or bad. I like it if it is played well, but even then the tune isn't that big of a deal to me...never has been, minus a couple really good versions.

Fan#41
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I wasn't really having a bad day, I just felt like going on a rant about it, hahah. But at the moment I am kind of just annoyed with DMB in general, whether it's the constant money-gouging with these festivals and "deluxe" versions of live releases, as well as the ridiculous things fans complain about in regards to the music itself. I assume everyone has days, like I occasionally do, where they come here, see some ridiculous superfan discussion and ask themselves what they're wasting their time on discussing and reading and being a part of. But I always get drawn back in, regardless of these days or weeks where I'm sick of the whole scene. Seeing the suggestion that ABI closing a show over a not-the-best version of Halloween throws a wrench in any sense I can make out of this confusing, picky, hypocritical fanbase. Lately the only thing not irritating me about this band is the music itself - which I guess is a good thing. I probably need a break from every other aspect of it.

Here's where it was said, by the way, as well as heavily suggested in a couple other instances, whether hyperbole or not:

And I stand by what I said. American Baby Intro is not such a horrid piece of music that I would rather take a rushed, fumbled, lifeless and hollow performance of Halloween over it. Now if it were say Old Dirt Hill? I would easily take a shitty version of Halloween over it. I don't really see how you can clump me in to your generalizations based on that comment. You make it seem like the fanbase as a collective were screaming how shitty ABI was and is and that's the complete opposite. People disliked the studio cut because of the gun-fire and what not, but when it was performed live people generally loved it. While I don't think it's an amazing song, I don't think it's a turd either. It's just a song that's focus is building a crescendo and Dave screaming his head off, which would make it seem like it has some similar attributes to Halloween in that regard.

And hypocrisy isn't always the case rather tastes and opinions and viewpoints change over time. It's been 6 years since ABI first debuted live so, imo, enough time has passed where legitimate and genuine opinions could have changed if some people disliked ABI then as opposed to now. I disliked Big Eyed Fish for years even though I always agreed about Dave's fantastic vocal work on the LWS. It wasn't until about '07 where I started to embrace the song itself and start enjoying live performances. That's not me being a hypocrite. Just that just a genuine change of opinion based on various things.

fan42days
04-29-2011, 11:41 PM
I loved that version of Halloween that night in the arena and I still love it now

Hopper
04-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Either way, this is the worst LT released to date.

fan42days
04-30-2011, 12:38 AM

Personally, I'll take it over 13,14, and 19

dmb1981
04-30-2011, 01:47 AM
one of my favouite seek ups.

love butch. miss him.

Tomacco
04-30-2011, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=Hopper;6744701]Either way, this is the worst LT released to

Yikes, LT10 is definitely worse. That first disc is just a nightmare, and the highlights of the show are still meh versions of amazing songs. LT10 brings way less to the table. At elast LT9 has some above-average versions of some tunes like Maker, DBTR (well, a rarity here really), WWYS, Seek Up, YMDT (at the time, of course), Sweet Caroline (better than LT6's, heh), and it's nice we got TOTS out of nowhere.

Mersh
04-30-2011, 08:08 AM

This release is very bad, but it isn't the worst.

Poth Ead
05-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Probably LT10 is the worst... but these Vegas shows are hard to listen to. A totally forgettable release that didn't deserve a 2-night release

ThememanXX
11-01-2016, 12:26 PM
Listening to this one now, and man, Night One is just a horrible show to release. By the time I got to night two, I wanted nothing more to do with this one, even though N2 is the stronger of the two. (not saying much)

Just mentioning Grey Street from N2 because I'm actively listening to it right now, and the 'Roi solo is so uninspired, a true sign of where his head was in '06-'07.

cryfreedom09
11-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Listening to this one now, and man, Night One is just a horrible show to release. By the time I got to night two, I wanted nothing more to do with this one, even though N2 is the stronger of the two. (not saying much)

Just mentioning Grey Street from N2 because I'm actively listening to it right now, and the 'Roi solo is so uninspired, a true sign of where his head was in '06-'07.

Oof....rough night huh.

Tomacco
11-01-2016, 09:54 PM
I'll agree n1 isn't the best, no doubt.
Yet n2 still has my favorite performance of The Maker ever.
Great 2.0 versions of YMDT and IOY too. Good performances of Seek Up, WWYS, DBTR and Still Water > DDTW too. I like the show.

Thrawn
11-02-2016, 07:20 AM
I think between the two shows you can get roughly one show's worth of material that's pretty awesome. In addition to what you mentioned, IBYU from night 1 is fantastic, some of Rashawn's best work.

batleon
11-02-2016, 08:07 AM

Roi was so uninspired when I saw them at the Mansfield tour opener later that year. It's like he wasn't even there. Thank God I saw him the following year when he was kicking ass, would have been a shame to have those '07 shows be the last time I saw him...

ThememanXX
11-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Roi was so uninspired when I saw them at the Mansfield tour opener later that year. It's like he wasn't even there. Thank God I saw him the following year when he was kicking ass, would have been a shame to have those '07 shows be the last time I saw him...

Agreed. The Cornbread from Mansfield '08 is still my favorite version, just straight 'fire.'