PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band: Listener Supported - Official Release (11/23/99)

Pages : [1] 2

dmb8021
02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4004/4582076687_d863d98fb4_z.jpg

http://warehouse.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=6_1674_9026&pc=DMDD9

Listener Supported is a live recording, double disc set from the PBS special, "In the Spotlight" containing entire performance from 9.11.1999 at Continental Airlines Arena.

Disc 1

01. Intro >
02. Pantala Naga Pampa >
03. Rapunzel
04. Rhyme & Reason
05. The Stone
07: Crash Into Me (Dixie Chicken)
08: Jimi Thing
09: #36
10: Warehouse (Stop Time)

Disc 2

01: Too Much
02: True Reflections
03: Two Step
04: Granny
05: Stay (Wasting Time)
06: #40
07: Long Black Veil
08: Don't Drink The Water
09: Intro to...
10: All Along the Watchtower
And I really miss the flute on #41. It would be nice if Roi mixed it up and some nights didn't use the flute and some nights he did. It would be one of those you don't know what you are going to get.

Oh, and :upyours to this version, one of my favorites pre-everyday outro

kaisek
02-27-2007, 11:17 PM
it would be nice if the everyday outro died a quick death too...

dm40band
02-27-2007, 11:21 PM
my first show :)

drumworkshop
02-27-2007, 11:32 PM
my first show :)

Wow, what a great first show. That 41 is one of my faves.

dm40band
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
my friend asked me to go she had an extra so i went... been going every year since then but been listening since 95

Hopper
02-28-2007, 12:09 AM
That 41 is awesome, and yes I miss the flute big time. The ED outro should die real soon, but Im looking forward to the LT8 version coming out, because its great, and there is no ED outro.

dubsnevets
02-28-2007, 12:10 AM
I pulled this show out during the weekend and listened to it for the first time in a while too and I gotta say, give me all of the Flecktones and guests you want, there isn't going to be another #41 as great as this one. It's perfect to the last second and will always be, in my opinion, the best full-band released track that has ever been put out.

spruce
02-28-2007, 12:11 AM
Oh great, now FishMonkeyMan is going to come blubber all over this thread about how he thinks it is the greatest show of all time and how the sound, pace, and general feel of the band was captured -perfectly- at this show. God help us.

dmb8021
02-28-2007, 12:24 AM
back when I first got into DMB, this was the first show I bought, so I had this on repeat all the time and since I hadn't really heard any other live stuff, I got to loving every version of the songs played during this show. Loved the heartbeat intro (still to this day, this is my favorite version, just because it's simple, nothing too fancy), loved the Rapunzel (though my favorite version for a while, whenever I listen to this, it just seems too slow compared to the recent versions). I loved Rhyme and The Stone (again, I have new favorite versions of these since hearing and seeing so many shows). But the thing that amazes me now, is that back then, I hated #41 and would always skip this version. I couldn't tell you why, I just did. But my, how things have changed, it's probably one of my favorite songs and this version is one of my favorites.

warehouseboy
02-28-2007, 01:25 AM
back when I first got into DMB, this was the first show I bought, so I had this on repeat all the time and since I hadn't really heard any other live stuff, I got to loving every version of the songs played during this show. Loved the heartbeat intro (still to this day, this is my favorite version, just because it's simple, nothing too fancy), loved the Rapunzel (though my favorite version for a while, whenever I listen to this, it just seems too slow compared to the recent versions). I loved Rhyme and The Stone (again, I have new favorite versions of these since hearing and seeing so many shows). But the thing that amazes me now, is that back then, I hated #41 and would always skip this version. I couldn't tell you why, I just did. But my, how things have changed, it's probably one of my favorite songs and this version is one of my favorites.

:upyours
same with me. this was my only live recording for years and actually what i based my knowledge of their material on, too, since i hardly ever frequented their studio material. i can nearly hum the improvs on the songs. every time i give it a relisten, its like visiting an old friend.

weekapaug
02-28-2007, 01:35 AM
sorry to threadjack, but i have the same feeling everytime i listen to Live at Red Rocks (the first one). I still long for the days of the roi solo on Lie In Our Graves instead of Boyd.

mccaber7
02-28-2007, 02:09 AM
I just wish Roi would solo on #41 again! This past year he either did not even do a solo or it was short and not at all like it used to be. The guests made #41 great last year, but the song it self took a big bomb if you ask me.

josh
02-28-2007, 12:13 PM
same with me. this was my only live recording for years and actually what i based my knowledge of their material on, too, since i hardly ever frequented their studio material. i can nearly hum the improvs on the songs. every time i give it a relisten, its like visiting an old friend.

Exact same thing with me. I bought the 2 CDs and listened to nothing but them for a few months straight. Then I learned there was a DVD as well :rawk

I still think the mix of that release is the best to date, I don't know if it's the dm3md or stefan's old setup/Q5 but everything about that concert is amazing.

And yes, the flute solo is godly and needs to come back.

CRUSHsoccer15
02-28-2007, 01:44 PM
I think this DVD was the first DMB thing that I bought. Def a cool way to start.

They need to come up with a new outro to the song. I think they don't plan on the ED outro, but the way it's designed the crowd force them into it.

standard83
02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
They need to come up with a new outro to the song. I think they don't plan on the ED outro, but the way it's designed the crowd force them into it.

just stop doing the stop time thing on the outro and go back to how they used to do it. the crowd shouldn't "force" them into doing it.

goldenmonkey
02-28-2007, 06:42 PM
flute needs to be used on 41 and crush again.

and yes, everyday outro nees to go.

Fan#41
02-28-2007, 06:45 PM

:nod

tbrown4
02-28-2007, 06:49 PM
This was the first version of #41 that realy sucked me it. I transcribed that tenor solo, as well as the flute solo and just absorbed it. Amazing work, I wish Roi would get back into it like that.

Majew10
02-28-2007, 07:16 PM

i miss the flute on crush...i think i have a video from the gorge from 01 maybe, and roi has the flute on crush...it needs to come back

phelps154
02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
41 with the flute is the shit... I agree that the flute needs to come back for crush too... I was ecstatic this year when the brought the flute back throughout the entire carter intro to say goodbye and not just when the song starts like they did in 05....

RB3
02-28-2007, 09:01 PM
I still long for the days of the roi solo on Lie In Our Graves instead of Boyd.

greykitkat36
02-28-2007, 10:29 PM
The flute really did sound great in #41...especially LS version. LS is a very underrated show. If you forget the hype that surrounded it and take it for what it is...it's a pretty nice set.

wagx3
02-28-2007, 10:43 PM
it would really at a great degree of spontaneity (spelling?) to the shows if he just randomly busted out the flute to solo on songs where he'd normally use his sax. dmb has always said how they like to change it up a lot, and no two shows are identical, so why not add more to that and randomly take out the flute?

i could see the flute being awesome in songs like warehouse, maybe WWYS, grace, maybe grey street, more on crush, bartender just to name a few.

Vincent
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
41 with the flute is the shit... I agree that the flute needs to come back for crush too... I was ecstatic this year when the brought the flute back throughout the entire carter intro to say goodbye and not just when the song starts like they did in 05....

Good Call. I knew I had some extra love for Say Goodbye this year but never connected the flute.
And yes, LS is under-appreciated.

josh
03-01-2007, 10:13 PM
"Ya'll smell good this evening" :upyours

This entire show is soo good.

Poth Ead
05-15-2007, 09:31 PM
I think this is still one of the best live releases, in terms of the performance and of course, the mix. We know the band wasn't happy with their performance and didnt want the show released, but I think it's a great show. I mean, you'll never hear Two Step performed live these days like this again; short, powerful (awesome bass mix), hits home.

When you compare this release against some of the releases in the LiveTrax series (e.g. 12.31.96 or 12.8.98), I think this show certainly holds it's own (withstanding the #36; I'm not crazy about that performance but I listened to it) and definately was a good show to release in 1999 (or was it 2000). Like L@RR (imo) it more or less showcases the band - not at the best time in its live performance history - but the sound certainly lends to a move groove-infused, jazz-inspired performance.

Just some thoughts... any thoughts???

The Great Inventor
05-15-2007, 09:36 PM
#41 was right on.

dmb2much40
05-15-2007, 09:39 PM
it's a solid '99 show. people who don't like it generally don't like the jazzy period of dmb. with a few exceptions (#36 is painfully slow; could always lose the ladies), i enjoy the show.

Poth Ead
05-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I love the vibe I get after Two Step... Granny was the perfect choice to proceed it

Per553
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
that two step is short? i thought it was 12 minutes or so. in any event, the intro to that two step is one of my all time favorites..."...Hoping that, in times of trouble I might, lean on them more. But lately I swear, nightmare dreams are welling in me, This ship is troubled only cause', this ship we're on is sinking..." really powerful.

i also enjoy the jimi thing (not as much as ltv1, but still solid) and the ddtw kicks my ass every time. the rhyme and reason is a pretty sweet version too. i really don't think this show is as jazzy or slow as some people make it out to be...i mean heartbeat is jazz infused or whatever, but pnp-->rap, rhyme, watchtower, ddtw, stay and two step are all pretty upbeat.

MyDogDuke
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
The Stone :upyours

Poth Ead
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Two Step is like 15-20 minutes these days....

dmb8021
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I like Dave's solo on Jimi Thing. Haven't listened to that version in a while though. I should though.

Per553
05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Two Step is like 15-20 minutes these days....

yeah, it's 14 on listener supported.

I like Dave's solo on Jimi Thing. Haven't listened to that version in a while though. I should though.

yeah, nice to hear dave playing the guitar. good to know he did that in australia, hope that trend continues.

why exactly did the band not wanna release this? and what was redubbed?

Tomacco
05-15-2007, 10:04 PM
When I was first becoming a fan, I thought this show was untoppable, with Two Step, Jimi, #41, Granny, Watchtower, Rapunzel, Stone, Warehouse, Long Black Veil, and others. But now I never listen to it or watch the DVD. Something about the performances really just don't do it for me anymore. I feel like it lacks energy and comes off a bit lifeless, aside from a couple notable performances (#41, Granny, LBV are the only performances I ever listen to off of this). The jazzier songs sound good, but songs like Too Much, Rapunzel, DDTW, Warehouse, and others just sound kinda empty to me. It's weird how my view on this show changed so much. It just really doesn't do anything for me anymore (the stage setup and being an arena show makes it uninteresting to watch on the DVD too).

Minarets
05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
hands down the best mix.....by leaps and bounds. everyone is so crystal clear. however, they band played then so slowly, like unispired like. i know that wasnt the case, but that is how it sounded to me

MidwestDrummer
05-15-2007, 10:19 PM
LS has the best #41 post-lyric solo section of any live #41 release. A decent Boyd solo + killer flute solo + killer sax solo = much win.

Mrs. Varitek
05-15-2007, 10:22 PM
I love Listener Supported. I've always thought it was underrated. It's definatly the best production on a DVD. It's shot very nicely. The last few DVD's have been too wild and rarely just focus in on the guys doing their thing. The art of what the guys do seems more prominant on LS.

patsfan39
05-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Best mix IMO also. I love this jazzy period. I wish there were more recordings available of the band sounding like this. I love the funky Too Much, and that end jam in rapunzel is excellent.
It was one of the first live DMB cds i bought and listened to it constantly. it fell out of favor until i got the DVD. That opening run Heartbeat->PNP->Rapunzel, Rhyme & Reason, The Stone, #41, Crash, and Jimi Thing, is really good.
like previously stated i dont like the #36 either the song needed a change by that point.
Overall i like the release alot because the DVD saved it for me.

Per553
05-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I love Listener Supported. I've always thought it was underrated. It's definatly the best production on a DVD. It's shot very nicely. The last few DVD's have been too wild and rarely just focus in on the guys doing their thing. The art of what the guys do seems more prominant on LS.

yeah, i just watched folsom field this weekend for the first time. i had a fever and by the time it was done i felt incredibly dizzy, entirely nauseated and my fever had gone up two degrees. :(

Minarets
05-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Best mix IMO also. I love this jazzy period. I wish there were more recordings available of the band sounding like this. I love the funky Too Much, and that end jam in rapunzel is excellent.
It was one of the first live DMB cds i bought and listened to it constantly. it fell out of favor until i got the DVD. That opening run Heartbeat->PNP->Rapunzel, Rhyme & Reason, The Stone, #41, Crash, and Jimi Thing, is really good.
like previously stated i dont like the #36 either the song needed a change by that point.
Overall i like the release alot because the DVD saved it for me.

hate those Too Muches (see what i did there?)
anyway, they drag. actually i wasnt really even into TM until 2004. they have revamped the song a little but it went great links with me. i really enjoy it now, but the LS/"jazzy period" did nothing for me with that song

actually just listened again. i do like the funkier Butch-isms and the song isnt as bad as i remember, but the 2004s still do it for me.

orbs35
05-16-2007, 12:13 AM
probably my favorite rapunzel. easily my favorite stone.

dm40band
05-16-2007, 01:07 AM
my first show :D

DJ Naga Pampa
05-16-2007, 03:55 AM
I think this is still one of the best live releases, in terms of the performance and of course, the mix. We know the band wasn't happy with their performance and didnt want the show released, but I think it's a great show. I mean, you'll never hear Two Step performed live these days like this again; short, powerful (awesome bass mix), hits home.

When you compare this release against some of the releases in the LiveTrax series (e.g. 12.31.96 or 12.8.98), I think this show certainly holds it's own (withstanding the #36; I'm not crazy about that performance but I listened to it) and definately was a good show to release in 1999 (or was it 2000). Like L@RR (imo) it more or less showcases the band - not at the best time in its live performance history - but the sound certainly lends to a move groove-infused, jazz-inspired performance.

Just some thoughts... any thoughts???

where did you hear about the band didnt like the show and didnt want to release it?

alexbunke
05-16-2007, 05:31 AM
Before I watched this DVD, I hadn't heard WH, #41, #36, Jimi, Granny, R&R--it was a good introduction.

Mersh
05-16-2007, 05:41 AM
(the stage setup and being an arena show makes it uninteresting to watch on the DVD too).

I disagree with this. I think is is a great DVD.

dmb2much40
05-16-2007, 05:43 AM
LS has the best #41 post-lyric solo section of any live #41 release. A decent Boyd solo + killer flute solo + killer sax solo = much win.

that #41 hands down is the best non-guest #41. not just of the released #41's - out of all #41's. vocally, dave is spot on. the whole thing is literally perfect.

alexbunke
05-16-2007, 06:05 AM
I disagree with this. I think is is a great DVD.Amen, they really put the focus on the music and the band.

MyDogDuke
05-16-2007, 08:40 AM
i always thought it was funny how Dave "dressed up" for this, their first official concert on video.

Minarets
05-16-2007, 09:25 AM
i always thought it was funny how Dave "dressed up" for this, their first official concert on video.

at that time, this was not unusual. he was past the pjs and into more of a Banana Republic like stage or something....then he hit the jeans and tee

ssdmbfan
05-16-2007, 09:27 AM
This is easily the best shot DVD we have (imo). I always enjoyed #41, Two Step, The Stone, and Watchtower from it. This thread makes me want to watch it again!

Strugz10
05-16-2007, 10:46 AM
This is easily the best shot DVD we have (imo). I always enjoyed #41, Two Step, The Stone, and Watchtower from it. This thread makes me want to watch it again!

I've gotta give CP the nod for the best DVD.

ssdmbfan
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I've gotta give CP the nod for the best DVD.

Definitely the best to watch, but I'm talking about the lighting and how the actual show was shot. I thought the direction on LS was outstanding.

josh
05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
LS was what got me into the band a few months before Everyday was released, and I still watch the DVD all the time. A great show, and one of the best live mixes of any release.

Wescoast
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
ls has great cinematography. its really enjoyable to watch... with that said i haven't watched it in a good 3 years id say.

Kerwin
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
a lot of people who went to the LS show, then dubbed "dave matthews band and friends" in the spotlight PBS special were very dissapointed. They said there was no energy in the arena and the sound was bad.

It does not come across that way on the dvd though. :thumbsup

bbycrei
05-16-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm almost through the show. I really love Long Black Vail from there. Butch's solo fits right in. I miss this song live (though have yet to hear it in person).

Even the nice little "Thank you Dave" you can hear after #40 is a nice touch too.

That's it, Sir.
05-16-2007, 03:34 PM
a lot of people who went to the LS show, then dubbed "dave matthews band and friends" in the spotlight PBS special were very dissapointed. They said there was no energy in the arena and the sound was bad.

It does not come across that way on the dvd though. :thumbsup

I was there and I had a great time. I'm not sure what people mean when they say energy, though? Seemed to me like everyone was having a great time. I didn't see anyone sitting still or sitting down.

When this first came our people went crazy over the girl who shakes her boobs. It was so annoying because it is such a quality mix and so well shot. I'm glad people still appriciate this DVD. :upyours To this thread.

Vincent
05-16-2007, 03:45 PM
I generally go to this for the 41, then I wind up listening to the whole show
I like the "jazz period", the tempo change shows how great they can be

alexbunke
05-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Anyone else always hear "PLAY HARD" right before Carter comes in with the snare on Warehouse?

d.m.bfan222
05-16-2007, 03:58 PM
This is a great DVD, best one yet IMO. The Stone is perfect. I was at the show but didn't have a real appreciation for it until I watched the DVD.

JWood
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Even the nice little "Thank you Dave" you can hear after #40 is a nice touch too.

I love that part.

Poth Ead
05-16-2007, 05:51 PM
Anyone else always hear "PLAY HARD" right before Carter comes in with the snare on Warehouse?

yup... it's pretty clear actually

JamSession v2.0
05-16-2007, 06:01 PM
I honestly love not hearing the woos on Warehouse.

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 09:43 AM

DMB can not do a "stop time" type song again without the woos. see:joyride

Ledge
05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
DMB can not do a "stop time" type song again without the woos. see:joyride

You are sharp Kerwin. So sharp.

Tomacco
05-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I think one reason I find myself uninterested in watching this is because lately I've really noticed how much 2000+ DMB has grown on me. Maybe it's because I've listened to the UTTAD/Crash material so much in my life, but these days I get more excited by things like KitKat Jam (9/7/02), So Right (8/5/06), YMDT (3/24/07), Last Stop (from 06 tour), Busted Stuff (WH8) and Spoon (from 03 tour). I listen to shows with these types of things so much more now than ones with only standard things like Two Step, DDTW, #41, Crash, R&R, etc. Plus, as I've said before, I find it hard to listen to 1999 versions of Warehouse, Too Much, Rapunzel, and DDTW having grown so used to how much power the songs have now vs then. Listener Supported is definitely a great show, but I'm definitely one of those people who needs new things to keep me as interested as when I first became a fan (and unlike lots of people, I love a lot of what they've done live in the last 6 years).

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 09:59 AM
You are sharp Kerwin. So sharp.

:thumbsup

Ledge
05-17-2007, 10:04 AM
:thumbsup

:bitchslap:suicide

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 10:11 AM
:bitchslap:suicide

:monkey :blah
kerwin ledge

Ledge
05-17-2007, 10:37 AM
:monkey :blah
kerwin ledge

I can't wait until you get banned again you pathetic, lying bag of semen.

josh
05-17-2007, 10:39 AM

Hmm I never noticed that before.

josh
05-17-2007, 10:41 AM
why exactly did the band not wanna release this? and what was redubbed?

I don't think anything was redubbed, but a few things were edited (Stefan's slide intro on Two step, and some of butch on True reflections)

There was also some davespeak that was cut out (him talking about being recorded for PBS, and something about Kermit the frog)

CRUSHsoccer15
05-17-2007, 11:03 AM
Although I've kind of moved on from this release, I've always loved this show and it really put me over the top as a DMB fan.

Listening to Two Step right now, love the intro.

This release reminds me that we need another Rapunzel on DVD.

JKidd
05-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Probably my favorite mix of any live release. I know, set wise, it isn't the best of all released shows, but for some reason, it will always be my #1 favorite.

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I can't wait until you get banned again you pathetic, lying bag of semen.

:lol you get worked up to easily. wow. Its an internet message board. chill.

Ledge
05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
:lol you get worked up to easily. wow. Its an internet message board. chill.

I'm not worked up at all. I just really, really don't like you nor do I feel you add anything positive to this board or anyone's life in general. Other than that, things are just peachy.

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 11:27 AM
anyways. back to LS.

I think it was a fantastic release, however i think central park is the overall better show.

CRUSHsoccer15
05-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Wow. This R&R is really good. The blue lights at the very end are fantastic.

Kerwin
05-17-2007, 11:41 AM

other than the 9.22.06 R&R, this one is my fave

Wescoast
05-17-2007, 01:31 PM

ya the 99/00 r&r lighting was great. you had the candy stripe red and white that went crazy when the song energy picks up, then it falls to a calming blue at the end. really works great with the song.

Mersh
05-17-2007, 02:31 PM
"stop time" has always bothered me for some reason

Poth Ead
05-17-2007, 03:12 PM
I love watching Carter laugh at Dave's nutty dancing - - especially during PNP > Rapunzel :lol

pgr17
01-25-2009, 10:24 AM
woke up this morning and felt it was a good idea to put on the DVD. i haven't watched it in forever... i remember really loving the performance of The Stone when i watched it on PBS when it first aired... on that now - still so good.

good stuff :upyours

gweeps
01-25-2009, 11:07 AM
#41 was right on.

My favourite live version.

gweeps
01-25-2009, 11:08 AM

:upyours:upyours

FiddySpence
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
one of my least favorite releases. but it still has some great stuff, one of the best #41's and stone's they've ever done and a nice long encore. i'm just not a fan of slow jazzy dmb, at least when they perform entire shows with that slow plodding tempo. and i think that two step is a snooze fest and the complete opposite of short and sweet.

FiddySpence
01-25-2009, 02:01 PM
We know the band wasn't happy with their performance and didnt want the show released,

?

where did you hear this?

patsfan39
01-25-2009, 02:12 PM
first release i picked up after red rocks and BTCS of course im not an long time fan like others. i just love the release for the amazing musicianship.

dmbphan41
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I've always enjoyed LS...i love the funk that Butch and Stefan bring on Too Much

JWood
01-25-2009, 04:43 PM
i used to watch this all the time when it first came out

DMBTex10101
01-25-2009, 04:47 PM
Jazzy DMB is the way to go. While I had fun at shows last year (and fully intend to this year), I'll never enjoy it as much as I do those jazzy performances from '99, '00, and especially '02.

Listener Supported is still easily in my top 5 of DMB live releases (right there with LT3, LT 11, and RR95).

Love this show. The #41 simply can't be beat.

Smokey the Bear
01-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Love #41, but like alot of people have said, the show is just too slow for me. Give me 08 DMB over 99 DMB anyday.

tradedmb
01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
#41 from that show is the first thing I listened to after hearing of Roi's passing.

In the top two as far as DVD releases go also.

FiddySpence
01-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Jazzy DMB is the way to go. While I had fun at shows last year (and fully intend to this year), I'll never enjoy it as much as I do those jazzy performances from '99, '00, and especially '02.

Listener Supported is still easily in my top 5 of DMB live releases (right there with LT3, LT 11, and RR95).

Love this show. The #41 simply can't be beat.

see '02 is when i think they started to, thankfully, move away from the more mellow, slow tempo, jazz groove and kick things up again.

Rowsdower
01-26-2009, 04:08 PM
This is easily my least favorite release. The performances are just so dull and boring.

ggies
01-26-2009, 04:12 PM
This is easily my least favorite release. The performances are just so dull and boring.

Are you sure it's dull and boring, or are you just use to the "too much rock for one hand" this band has been trying to be for the last several years?

I'd rather listen to them actually trying to play interesting parts, than them rock it out and dave scream all the time.

But hey, that's this band now and that's that.

Rowsdower
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Are you sure it's dull and boring, or are you just use to the "too much rock for one hand" this band has been trying to be for the last several years?

I'd rather listen to them actually trying to play interesting parts, than them rock it out and dave scream all the time.

But hey, that's this band now and that's that.

No sir. I enjoy the "jazzy" DMB era as much as the next guy, but this particular show just sounds really stiff and lifeless to me.

ggies
01-26-2009, 04:31 PM
No sir. I enjoy the "jazzy" DMB era as much as the next guy, but this particular show just sounds really stiff and lifeless to me.

ah, I see. Well there ya go. :)

Poth Ead
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I just gave a few tracks a listen... I love that jazzy DMB...

Too Much, The Stone, #41 :upyours

JWood
01-27-2009, 07:42 PM
i'm ripping this right now for my ipod :rawk

Poth Ead
01-27-2009, 08:46 PM
imho, still the best live mix... with LT3 right behind

jahlive
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
where did you hear this?

Yeah for christs sakes I didn't know they did not like this show . . . I never heard that . . . seems like they were happy with their performances that night

dmb2much40
01-28-2009, 06:21 PM
02 shows are better for jazzy dmb...we need a spring 02.

Fiorentino
01-28-2009, 08:22 PM
I got into Dave Matthews because of Luther College in '99. I bought LS when it came out, and it exposed me to the band. The LS versions of 41, stone, watchtower, and warehouse are some of my favorites ever. Two step has one of the best Dave intros as well, in my opinion.

The DVD is just top notch too...

Edit: I don't care what anyone says about the Taylor cutting through the mix better blah blah... I LOVE the Martin on this tape! The stone and Warehouse intro are prime examples.

FiddySpence
01-28-2009, 11:37 PM

:upyours it's not that i don't like jazzy dmb, they did it fine that year while keeping the energy and tempo's up.

Fan#41
01-29-2009, 12:02 AM
The LS versions of 41, stone, watchtower, and warehouse are some of my favorites ever. Two step has one of the best Dave intros as well, in my opinion.

The DVD is just top notch too...

Edit: I don't care what anyone says about the Taylor cutting through the mix better blah blah... I LOVE the Martin on this tape! The stone and Warehouse intro are prime examples.

Still the best mix out of all the officially released live shows.

NiCK Crush
01-29-2009, 12:37 AM
i have this on VHS :lol

Tomacco
01-29-2009, 12:42 AM

So do I. For some reason at HMV when I bought Busted Stuff they gave the LS VHS to me for free. I was happy.

NiCK Crush
01-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Just to clarify though, I of course also have the DVD.

Tomacco
01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Just to clarify though, I of course also have the DVD.

As do I.

Jayes
02-02-2009, 01:03 PM
LIC is still my fav in terms of performance and mix

cgator41
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Yeah for christs sakes I didn't know they did not like this show . . . I never heard that . . . seems like they were happy with their performances that night

I've never heard that either.

I love #41, Jimi, and #40 on this album. Hell, even Crash Into Me is solid on this release. Rapunzel, however, is way too slow.

cgator41
02-02-2009, 01:36 PM

I absolutely hate the mix on this album. Out of all of the live albums, I've listened to this one the least.

Poth Ead
02-02-2009, 02:58 PM

I really can't believe we do not have a 2002 show (except for the shitty Gorge release), nor a '97 show at this point.

Fan#41
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM

:lol

Fiorentino
02-02-2009, 07:02 PM
:lol

I'd pay money to see the conversation with Boyd for this release.

"Listen Boyd, about your solos..... We booked you some studio time." :lol

Tomacco
02-02-2009, 07:12 PM

I still really cannot believe they did that. They should have released a different show or something.

bbycrei
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I absolutely hate the mix on this album. Out of all of the live albums, I've listened to this one the least.

LIC mix makes you feel like you are on stage looking out at the crowd. Leroi is to your left, Boyd and Tim to your left.

Every other mix is the opposite, like you are looking at the stage.

cgator41
02-02-2009, 08:53 PM
LIC mix makes you feel like you are on stage looking out at the crowd. Leroi is to your left, Boyd and Tim to your left.

Every other mix is the opposite, like you are looking at the stage.

That's a stretch..and it still sounds like crap to me.

cgator41
02-02-2009, 08:54 PM

yeah..and I still don't think it sounds that great (i.e. LIOG)

JWood
02-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I've never heard that either.

I love #41, Jimi, and #40 on this album. Hell, even Crash Into Me is solid on this release. Rapunzel, however, is way too slow.

Rhyme & Reason thru Crash is pretty great

greykitkat36
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I've always liked LS..one of the best releases imo. I think it gets a bad rap beacuse of all the hype surrounding it..people expected too much out of it. It's overall a pretty good show. #40? One of the best #41's, The stone, jimi, #36, warehouse etc.

JWood
02-02-2009, 09:29 PM

what's that?

dmbchile
09-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I still think this is the best dvd-cd that this band has released.

Good stuff

Rowsdower
09-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Not to be overly negative here, but it's a dull, uninspired performance. If they never released it, this show would never, ever be mentioned. I can't listen to it without getting bored.

batleon
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
Worth it for the #41

MaLaKaS
09-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Worth it for the #41

and "Stone"

dmbchile
09-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Is just my opinion. I really enjoy the show, It starts really great, maybe not the best setlist, but some really amazing performances of #41, The Stone, Crash, Watchtower.

Plus, this is the first concert they ever released. I remember buying the VHS!. Hahaha. This is way before you could download dvds and stuff like this. I remember the first VCD I ever saw on the boards was the one I made for the Dave solo in London back in 01.

greppson
09-11-2009, 01:48 PM
i love listener supported. tossed it in the cd player the other day. some stuff drags a little but overall it's a decent show. that #40 is my favorite too.

gweeps
09-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Still their best DVD release. And one of their greatest #41s ever.

orbs35
09-11-2009, 01:57 PM
best officially released stone as far as i'm concerned. gorgeous sound.

Josh.0
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
My favorite live CD alongside LT 3 and Benaroya Hall.

willndmb
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
one of my fav things from the dvd is the end of two step where dave gives the fist pump to carter
its shown on one of the cbs specials they did with coran saying they are the best live act bar none

take a moment if you haven't to also pay tribute to the great people who lost their life 8 yrs ago and those who have and continue to fight against evil causes

Tomacco
09-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Y'all smell good this evening!

Willie James Huff
09-11-2009, 02:30 PM
Great show. Mellow, but performed perfectly. Cool DVD. That #41 is heavenly..

.Gary.
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Not to be overly negative here, but it's a dull, uninspired performance. If they never released it, this show would never, ever be mentioned. I can't listen to it without getting bored.

I never listen to it straight through, but some of the performances can't be overlooked.

Two Step
Stone

Nothing else stirs me, though.

Willie James Huff
09-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Good version of Jimi. Rapunzel is great too.

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 03:00 PM

This was my first exposure to #40.

Poth Ead
09-11-2009, 03:01 PM
I attended this show... and I remember walking out extremely satisfied with the set. For the time, this was a solid show

Mersh
09-11-2009, 03:04 PM
I remember when they aired some of it on PBS...man they could do no wrong for me back then. Was great being a fan then.

ggies
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I agree it's the best dvd yet. Love the show.

Heartbeat Intro can't be over looked!

Dave actually plays a solo in Jimi.

All good things. :upyours

Poth Ead
09-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I remember when they aired some of it on PBS...man they could do no wrong for me back then. Was great being a fan then.

It was a different time to be a DMB fan for sure.

Even though most fans look at the end of the 2000 tour as the dividing line between past and present DMB, it was really in 1999 that the band was looking to change its musical direction

memories

Fan#41
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Nothing has topped the filming of Listener Supported. The angles, and camera movements, the lighting and audio mix, it's just perfect. Some of the show may be a toss-away but as others mentioned 41, The Stone, Rhyme, 40, Watchtower, are all fantastic performances.

I do like this show as well because it was a specific moment when as fans we sorta knew the band was heading in a certain direction. Whether you like(d) that direction or not, I still think it's really cool that we're able to go back and watch that moment. That show definitely showcased the slow-paced DMB that we'd come to know for the next few years.

Fan#41
09-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Nothing has topped the filming of Listener Supported. The angles, and camera movements, the lighting and audio mix, it's just perfect. Some of the show may be a toss-away but as others mentioned 41, The Stone, Rhyme, 40, Watchtower, are all fantastic performances.

I do like this show as well because it was a specific moment when as fans we sorta knew the band was heading in a certain direction. Whether you like(d) that direction or not, I still think it's really cool that we're able to go back and watch that moment. That show definitely showcased the slow-paced DMB that we'd come to know for the next few years.

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Even though most fans look at the end of the 2000 tour as the dividing line between past and present DMB, it was really in 1999 that the band was looking to change its musical direction

I think it goes without saying that one of the band's biggest defining moments was their decision to scrap the Lillywhite sessions. With that in mind, I think one could get really specific and draw the big dividing line between "old DMB" and "new DMB" between the 2000 Summer and Fall tours.

Fan#41
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Yeah but that was a career transition for the band. I agree with him about how the tail end of that '99 tour really sparked that slower paced DMB sound that would lead to their style and approach during the LWS even though it was ultimately scrapped.

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, good point there. Listener Supported was one of the first shows to feature Butch on a lot of songs, too, so that has a little bit to do with it.

FiddySpence
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
central park is easily the best dvd they have. there's a couple great performances from this show (41, the stone, 40) but otherwise it's boring.

Smittay
09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
didnt they go on PBS thinking they were just filming for parts of songs and PBS was like fuck no, its our tape and we're going to release the whole thing whether you like it or not and the band paid them to do a better job and embraced it... it wasnt a dmb planned release remember?

cura
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
i remember watching it on PBS 1st.
wish we had a blu ray.

Welsh
09-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Love that show...lots of great performances in there...

Also the anniversary of one of my best DMB shows...9/11/03.

Best Seek Up, the only time I tolerated Everyday, and a really phenomenal performance. Turned out to contain only a couple rarities, but really well played overall.

The Godfather
09-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I forgot who came up with the title Listener Supported...

This relase is a great one. I never get tired of listening to it. :upyours

NiCK Crush
09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=7358

The Godfather
09-11-2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.dreamingtree.org/details.php?id=7358

Why? There's an official release

NiCK Crush
09-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Why? There's an official release

it can be cool to listen to the taper's pull of officially released shows. if not, no worries don't download.

The Godfather
09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
it can be cool to listen to the taper's pull of officially released shows. if not, no worries don't download.

I'm not worried. Just curious to see why you posted the link.

NiCK Crush
09-11-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm not worried. Just curious to see why you posted the link.

this isn't a thread about the 10th Anniversary of Listener Supported?

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
I forgot who came up with the title Listener Supported...

This relase is a great one. I never get tired of listening to it. :upyours

It's a play on PBS being "viewer supported programming," and DMB coming from a grassroots beginning, so they were "listener supported" in that way. I guess that's probably obvious.

I have no idea who came up with it, but I do remember that a band member, Carter I think, was misquoted as saying the title of the upcoming release was "Listeners Support It" or something like that.

The Godfather
09-11-2009, 09:51 PM
this isn't a thread about the 10th Anniversary of Listener Supported?

is it..but again, why post a taper's version when there's an official copy of it out?

The Godfather
09-11-2009, 09:52 PM
It's a play on PBS being "viewer supported programming," and DMB coming from a grassroots beginning, so they were "listener supported" in that way. I guess that's probably obvious.

I have no idea who came up with it, but I do remember that a band member, Carter I think, was misquoted as saying the title of the upcoming release was "Listeners Support It" or something like that.

That's what I remember...:upyours

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
:lol I remember Willoughby and Vernal's text file used to have a note about them almost shutting off the deck in disgust because the encore was a repeat (presumably of the tour closer). I guess that part has been edited out and lost to time.

NiCK Crush
09-11-2009, 09:53 PM
is it..but again, why post a taper's version when there's an official copy of it out?

Because it can be cool to listen to a taper's non edited pull of a show.

18oo-help-myself
09-11-2009, 09:56 PM

Why not?

Officially, one is free and the other costs money. ;)

SurferX
09-11-2009, 11:34 PM
I still hold to the opinion that this is the best sounding live release the band has put out.

I mean sounding in terms of mixing/mastering of the audio.

toomanychoices
09-12-2009, 12:22 AM
:lol I remember Willoughby and Vernal's text file used to have a note about them almost shutting off the deck in disgust because the encore was a repeat (presumably of the tour closer). I guess that part has been edited out and lost to time.

I remember reading that note as well, it is still on etree.org

Majority of set with Butch Taylor on keyboard
* - w/ Cindy, Tawitha and Brenda on backup vocals

! - w/ chants of "Turn It Up" due to the exceptionally poor sound at
the show
% - I very seriously considered turning the rig off at this point out
of disgust with the seeming repeat of 8/8/99's encore. Luckily I
didn't.

dmb2much40
09-12-2009, 10:26 AM
i enjoy the first disc. beautiful mix.

Fan#41
09-12-2009, 10:31 AM
didnt they go on PBS thinking they were just filming for parts of songs and PBS was like fuck no, its our tape and we're going to release the whole thing whether you like it or not and the band paid them to do a better job and embraced it... it wasnt a dmb planned release remember?

That was the second plan yeah. First it was supposed to be a show filled with a lot more guests, Warren, Bela, Santana, etc.. but a few seemed to have scheduling conflicts so they scrapped that idea and just kept the Ladies and Butch and THEN figured PBS would only use certain cuts from the final edit. It was still DMB taping the show, their crew and everything, but PBS did have a hand in the production and editing process.

3beamsoflight6
09-12-2009, 11:04 AM
surprised at no mention of LBV. Gorgeous version.

That said, I don't think LS holds a candle compared to CP as a whole.

DMBTex10101
09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Love this release. I would take the first disk (minus 36 of course) over the majority of their officially released material.

Love the opening run through Jimi, every song sounds fantastic, and that 41 is still one of their top performances of that song IMO.

18oo-help-myself
09-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I still think think that is Boyd's best #41 solo.

Poth Ead
09-12-2009, 12:38 PM
yea.. the encore is great overall...

#40 >
Long Black Veil
Don't Drink The Water
All Along The Watchtower

Klooner
09-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I used to sleepily drive to my 9 a.m. college class my freshman year listening to this Heartbeat. Perfect mood-setter.

DMBCLSTJ
09-12-2009, 01:56 PM
That Two Step is hard to watch now that it is just ridiculous.

dmb2much40
09-12-2009, 03:02 PM
surprised at no mention of LBV. Gorgeous version.

that's because we have gorge 2002

captain morgan
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
the tshirt from this show is still pretty eerie. i've got it back at my moms house, says Sept 11 at the bottom, NYC skykine with the towers ...

FiddySpence
09-12-2009, 05:39 PM
i hate this LBV. fuck the Ladies "solo" section at the end that drags on far too long. gorge '02 is where it's at.

dandtrock
09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I love this release, but there are a few songs I just never got into with the guests. And I agree about LBV. Was lucky enough to hear this E1 Dave solo... 1000% better.

Mersh
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM
That Two Step is hard to watch now that it is just ridiculous.

I always, still do in fact, enjoyed this Two Step.

NiCK Crush
09-12-2009, 11:57 PM
I adore this Two Step.

dmbfan41
09-13-2009, 12:31 AM
i actually listened to granny > 40 > lbv > twostep from this show in a row last night. i could do without the ladies at the end of lbv, but the rest is great.

i wish they released more DVDs from this era.

DMBTex10101
09-13-2009, 10:08 AM
I always, still do in fact, enjoyed this Two Step.

I adore this Two Step.

Same here. A fantastic Two Step.

True Reflections is also quite nice as well . . . at least the jam is anyways. :rainshit

StormWarning
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM
I can't believe it has been 10 years since this show! Time passes way too fast. I had great seats for this one and enjoyed the show without question. The shirt is definitely eerie to say the least.

Mersh
09-13-2009, 11:07 AM
man, that is quite the sig

18oo-help-myself
09-13-2009, 12:04 PM
True Reflections is also quite nice as well . . . at least the jam is anyways. :rainshit

jsandr
09-14-2009, 05:41 AM
best officially released stone as far as i'm concerned. gorgeous sound.

i have to disagree on this...

i love The Stone from LT3. and the Warehouse 5V2 cut. both of those i think are superior to Listener Supported.

and if they ever officially release a version w/ Jeff, i'm pretty sure that'll take the cake.

jsandr
09-14-2009, 05:44 AM
I still hold to the opinion that this is the best sounding live release the band has put out.

I mean sounding in terms of mixing/mastering of the audio.

again, i'd disagree: Live Trax 3 is how a dmb show should sound, IMO.

jsandr
09-14-2009, 05:53 AM
can anyone recommend a great fullband LBV without the ladies? probably from 99 i would think.

18oo-help-myself
09-14-2009, 08:21 AM
can anyone recommend a great fullband LBV without the ladies? probably from 99 i would think.

7.24.03 - first time played with Butch and no ladies
6.06.08 - First time played with Tim + horns :upyours

Rowsdower
09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
#36 and Long Black Veil from this show are so bad it hurts. The ladies completely butcher them.

Fiorentino
09-14-2009, 12:11 PM

I'm the same way. Took me a long time to find 2/6/96, but was well worth it. Horrible tape, but alot of extra Dave speak. The "road mix" Red Rocks or whatever is great too.

I love Listener Supported. In 2000 I only had and listened to Luther College.. LS was my first DMB release to own. Love Stone, 41, Warehouse, AATW, Two Step, and the Heartbeat intro. Good stuff.

18oo-help-myself
09-14-2009, 02:42 PM
God I fell in love with the complete Red Rocks when I first discovered it. I had listened to the release for so many years, and it was awesome to have a fresh take on it. The "complete truck mix" is what it's called. I assume because it was recorded on a 24-track setup inside a van or something outside the backstage area. Maybe it means something totally different - The only reason I assume that is because Phish did recordings of this nature when they played at the Fox in Boulder in the early '90s.

batleon
09-14-2009, 08:09 PM
yeah, the unedited RR show is great. I will have to check out the Luther AUD one of these days.

18oo-help-myself
09-14-2009, 08:12 PM
I grabbed the Luther College aud from a DC hub about a year ago, and I still haven't listened to it. I'm not sure why.

TheNoise
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
this #41 is spectacular

TheNoise
09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
i also really love how slooooow this rapunzel is

for real

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 09:23 PM
that's my biggest problem with this release, is how slow they played everything.

NiCK Crush
09-14-2009, 09:25 PM
that's my biggest problem with this release, is how slow they played everything.

i don't see that as a problem, but rather something different. If I'm feeling a more mellow show, this is just about perfect.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 09:29 PM
i want to rock all day. every day.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:31 PM
LBV is great. Probably better with the Ladies. Although my favorite version is the duet with Roi from the Gorge. But who started that stupid theory, and why did everyone decide to roll with it?

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
there is not one single song that was better with the ladies.

Fan#41
09-14-2009, 09:34 PM
i also really love how slooooow this rapunzel is

for real

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
there is not one single song that was better with the ladies.

But did they make the songs worse? I don't think so. Not offensive like Butch was to the music. It was interesting and it was temporary. This we knew. I think some idiots just spouted off the idea that the Lovely Ladies sucked and everybody took it and ran with it. It happens on message boards. People get to lazy to form there own opinions.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 09:40 PM
the ladies were much more offensive than butch to the bands music, and i hate most of what butch added.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:41 PM
the ladies were much more offensive than butch to the bands music, and i hate most of what butch added.

I can respect your opinion. I hated Butch, but wasn't offended by the ladies. They had nice voices. I like to hear nice voices. They were there, now there gone. Cool.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:46 PM
But did they make the songs worse? I don't think so. Not offensive like Butch was to the music. It was interesting and it was temporary. This we knew. I think some idiots just spouted off the idea that the Lovely Ladies sucked and everybody took it and ran with it. It happens on message boards. People get to lazy to form there own opinions.

certain songs, yes.

On this release only #36...actually this #36 is not very good all around.

I know this is your thing, but it is possible that people independently decided that they didn't like the LL and just so happened to find like minded people on the boards. Believe it or not you aren't the only person capable of forming their opinion here.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
and for the record, I never minded the ladies with exceptions like their guest spot on say Minarets, Busted Stuff or BOWA. I am glad they are gone, but didn't hate them with a passion.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:49 PM
certain songs, yes.

On this release only #36...actually this #36 is not very good all around.

I know this is your thing, but it is possible that people independently decided that they didn't like the LL and just so happened to find like minded people on the boards. Believe it or not you aren't the only person capable of forming their opinion here.

It is possible. True. And I have thought about that. But I doubt it. That's why I carried on with what I said.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
thank god all the sheep have you here to open their eyes.

and yes, I know I am fueling your schtick.

Tomacco
09-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Listener Supported played a role in me getting into DMB, no question. I remember catching it on PBS in the middle of the night sometime in 2001 when I first started listening to DMB. I remember enjoying Stay and Watchtower a lot, and being curious to watch more live DMB stuff. In 2002 when I bought Busted Stuff the day it came out, HMV gave me a free copy of the VHS of Listener Supported (presumably giving those away as a promotion since VHS was dying out). I watched it many times. I used to love Granny, True Reflections, The Stone, Warehouse, #41, Long Black Veil and Two Step from the release. I don't listen to this much anymore because there's so many better live releases, but this is still definitely a good one, a nice mellow show, very tastefully filmed, and enjoyable overall.

Oh yeah, I also actually enjoy the Lovely Ladies on everything they do on this release. Not as much on #36, but then again, I'm honestly not a big fan of #36. Never really saw the appeal. Pretty repetitive song, lots of Dave scatting/nonsense, and boring Boyd plucking solos. I prefer strong and concise versions of Everyday (#36) over just #36 alone.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
thank god all the sheep have you here to open their eyes.

ok?

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
dropping truth and all.

Poth Ead
09-14-2009, 09:53 PM
i stink

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
don't be so hard on yourself.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 09:58 PM
dropping truth and all.

What did you want me to say? What you wanted to hear?

FiddySpence
i think typsitch is the truth bomber.

FiddySpence
self proclaimed of course.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I thought they were a gang or something.

Tomacco
09-14-2009, 09:59 PM
and for the record, I never minded the ladies with exceptions like their guest spot on say Minarets, Busted Stuff or BOWA. I am glad they are gone, but didn't hate them with a passion.

:upyours Same. Never seen them at a show though, so I guess I never had the chance to get sick of them.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 10:00 PM
What did you want me to say? What you wanted to hear?

I didn't want you to write anything. I made my point, which was correct, and that was it.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
:upyours Same. Never seen them at a show though, so I guess I never had the chance to get sick of them.

I mean they were pretty overused for a couple years, but they didn't ruin entire tours.

Willie James Huff
09-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I didn't want you to write anything. I made my point, which was correct, and that was it.

You sound like me.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 10:02 PM

it's a good live tune, especially there. the crowd gets into it and once the bridge hits (which i like a lot) the energy is pretty high.

Tomacco
09-14-2009, 10:02 PM
I mean they were pretty overused for a couple years, but they didn't ruin entire tours.

When I first started coming to DMB boards, I remember the big things to complain about were the LLs on the previous summer tour, and WAYG and WYA being overplayed (this was Spring 02). Oh yeah, and YoiNK this and YoiNK that.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 10:03 PM
yeah i remember all the speculation and worry leading up to spring '02 as to whether they were going to concern. they were not welcome.

Mersh
09-14-2009, 10:04 PM
not really, but I can see why you would feel that way.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
not really, but I can see why you would feel that way.

?

18oo-help-myself
09-14-2009, 11:09 PM
When I first started coming to DMB boards, I remember the big things to complain about were the LLs on the previous summer tour, and WAYG and WYA being overplayed (this was Spring 02). Oh yeah, and YoiNK this and YoiNK that.

:lol The YoiNK thing was such nonsense.

Man, I remember a pretty good amount of nut-busting over that song (I guess mostly on Nancies, which is where I hung out at the time). I guess because it was the first really decent post-Everyday song, people were really fired up about it. I remember Waldo writing some long, ridiculous analysis of its musical complexity. Even at that time, I was just like :rolleyes. But yeah, it was and is a damn good song, so whatever.

Actually, there was a smaller degree of enthusiasm over WAYG too (again, on Nancies, I didn't really go anywhere else, except for Minarets.net on occasion), because it was THE first post-Everyday song, I guess. There was a pretty decent buzz about it when he debuted it at the Groundworks benefit. That wore off pretty quickly, but if you listen to the tape of the tour opener (4-04-02, I believe), you can hear a lot of people singing along. It only took a few shows for it to get really old.

Ahh, the good old days.

FiddySpence
09-14-2009, 11:10 PM
YNK deserved all the hype though.

Tomacco
09-14-2009, 11:13 PM
IOY got lots and lots of hype on the boards the night of June 2nd, 2006. Really funny because that was the first new song since Stand Up, so that was kind of the same type of celebration as YNK after ED. People were drawing comparisons to the two debut nights for sure.

batleon
09-15-2009, 07:45 AM
IoY got too much hype. I didn't downloaded it and purposely waited until my first show in '06 to hear it live. They played Kill the King that night and I loved it. When they played IoY later I was just kinda like "uh... ok... it's pretty good but... really? People are going crazy over this?"

TheNoise
09-15-2009, 08:40 AM
that's my biggest problem with this release, is how slow they played everything..

i like a fast rapunzel that is all energetic and cracked out, but the slow ones are good too. i love hearing all the notes really brreeeathe and last. the band is so tight on this version, and even though it is slow, it still has a lot of energy. it's just a really fun jazzy version. rock on

Fan#41
09-15-2009, 04:35 PM
9/2/00 is another really fun slow one.

Poth Ead
09-15-2009, 04:42 PM
9/2/00 is another really fun slow one.

so is 5.26.99. best Rapunzel ever...

Fan#41
09-15-2009, 06:51 PM
8/25/03 is the best ever, imo.

.Gary.
09-15-2009, 07:15 PM
2002 was a fun year. Best word to describe it.

bsan83
09-15-2009, 07:18 PM

Oddly Busted Stuff was one of the few songs I actually liked them on.

dmb2much40
09-15-2009, 08:50 PM
2002 was a fun year. Best word to describe it.

02 was pretty solid throughout the spring/summer:
comebacks for busted stuff, raven, nancies
debuts for captain, kit kat jam, you never know, loving wings
dave solo e1: beauty of wynona, long black veil, gravedigger, cry freedom

it seemed they hit a wall in the winter, kinda like they are starting to now.

FiddySpence
09-15-2009, 08:53 PM
for the most part i thought winter '02 was good. not as good as winter '98 but better than winter '00 and '05. it had 12-14, 16, and the obvious two big msg shows.

resthighabove...
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Been a DMB fan for a long time. Watching the DVD, particularly #41 from that night. Great version. The jam especially - old school Leroi Moore on two different horns. Music to my ears.

Fan#41
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
Listened to this release in its entirety for the first time in a long time. Still has the best mix.

BigEyedChris
03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Agree 100%

Rowsdower
03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Still my least or second-least favorite release.

FiddySpence
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
i think i've kept maybe 4 songs from this thing on my ipod.

18oo-help-myself
03-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I've got the #41 and True Reflections on my mp3 player. I think that's it.

FiddySpence
03-17-2010, 11:35 PM
True Reflections

i'm sorry.

i kept the heartbeat jam, the stone, 41, and 40 i think.

18oo-help-myself
03-18-2010, 09:31 AM
:dunno I like True Reflections enough to carry around one version of it. That's a pretty good version. I guess the Central Park bonus disc might be a good alternative. No way in hell would I put Boyd's studio version on there, though!

Crush87
03-18-2010, 09:40 AM
The best True Reflections I've ever heard is 12/3/94. Stefan is really grooving and the rest of the band nails it. Everyone should check it out.

LS is a great release with a few pretty bad performances thrown in. Will always be special because it was one of the first we got.

batleon
03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
The best True Reflections I've ever heard is 12/3/94. Stefan is really grooving and the rest of the band nails it. Everyone should check it out.

LS is a great release with a few pretty bad performances thrown in. Will always be special because it was one of the first we got.

First official DVD release, that's why it has a place in my collection.

Poth Ead
03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
I'll say it again; I was there and I remember walking out a very satisfied DMB fan... :upyours