PDA

View Full Version : Dave Matthews Band: The Central Park Concert - Official Release (11/18/03)

Jack
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4057/4582705938_c1ac6a261f_z.jpg

http://warehouse.shop.musictoday.com/Product.aspx?cp=6_1674_9026&pc=DMDD12

The Central Park Concert captures Dave Matthews Band in one of their finest moments. Proceeds from the benefit concert, a show staged on Central Park's Great Lawn on September 24, 2003, helped renovate Charlottesville, VA's Music Resource Center.

Disc 1

01. Don't Drink The Water
02. So Much To Say >
03. Anyone Seen The Bridge? > Too Much
04. Granny
05. Crush
06. When the World Ends

Disc 2

01: Dancing Nancies >
02: Warehouse
03: Ants Marching
04: Rhyme and Reason
05: Two Step
06: Help Myself

Disc 3

01: Cortez, The Killer
02: Jimi Thing (For What It's Worth)
03: What Would You Say?
04: Where Are You Going?
05: All Along The Watchtower
06: Grey Street
07: What You Are
08: Stay (Wasting Time)

Monk
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
The band pulled off a hell of a performance this night for being in such a rough place at the time.

Jack
03-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Jay-Z pre-show pep talk ftw!

Really great show. Phish has big cypress, dmb has this. Really the high water mark for the band. What else is there?

Tomacco
03-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Always loved this show, though I always thought it ended on a whimper. WAYG through Stay isn't bad, but it's so much worse than the awesomeness leading up to it. I never listened to or watched past WWYS often at all. And given the 2003 tour, I remember at the time I was a bit disappointed some of the rarer stuff being played at the time wasn't played at CP (Spoon, DT, Typical, Cry Freedom, etc).

FiddySpence
03-08-2013, 04:45 PM
great watchtower.

Jack
03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Cortez is such a great song. I need to dig up the 12/11/00 version I heard. Still impressed the five of them played that.

mja271
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
That disc 2 run is fucking dynamite

Monk
03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
This deserves an anniversary release on Blu-Ray this year.

MaLaKaS
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
This is probably my favorite show that I have attended. This includes amazing shows with mega "rare" performances and moments, but this one still tops them all.

Jack
03-08-2013, 09:28 PM
This is one of these shows where, when I was there, I knew I was witnessing something special. The set didn't wow, but the enormity of the moment, the playing... it was all there. The only thing I'm surprised about is that it has held up so well a decade later.

PS: fucktown I've gotten old.

MaLaKaS
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
This is one of these shows where, when I was there, I knew I was witnessing something special. The set didn't wow, but the enormity of the moment, the playing... it was all there. The only thing I'm surprised about is that it has held up so well a decade later.

PS: fucktown I've gotten old.

well said :upyours. I was 30 feet from stage and when I turned around mid-set and saw 100,000 people around me, I knew it was special.

gweeps
03-08-2013, 09:52 PM
This was the first webcast I saw. Only started boarding seriously a few months before.

Best DDTW I've heard. Dave wails the outro fabulously.

My favourite Granny. Once again, the energy!

Also the best Astb I've heard. Roi and Dave both nail it. It speeds along smoothly.

(You can guess which disc I gravitate toward.)

This release also contains probably my favourite Cortez. There's a foreboding about it I really dig. And yes, I've heard all the others with Warren.

Oh, shit. Can't forget the Rhyme & Reason. Another favourite version. Dave snarls his way through this one, both musically and vocally.

Best Jimi scat. Great WWYS breakdown. Midset Ants and Two Step. The Nancies/Warehouse combo is probably the best one from that year. Even the Grey Street and Stay are memorable.

And it's nice they included Help Myself. To my recollection, Boyd doesn't frig that one up. In fact, Boyd was pretty good all around.

Damn, what a show. The peak of their live career. At least before Roi died. I'll never understand why Stefan said he was bored.

MaLaKaS
03-08-2013, 09:55 PM
:upyours the band was at their best that night. Also, this is my favorite version of DDTW ever.

Jack
03-08-2013, 09:57 PM
This was the first webcast I saw. Only started boarding seriously a few months before.

Best DDTW I've heard. Dave wails the outro fabulously.

My favourite Granny. Once again, the energy!

Also the best Astb I've heard. Roi and Dave both nail it. It speeds along smoothly.

(You can guess which disc I gravitate toward.)

This release also contains probably my favourite Cortez. There's a foreboding about it I really dig. And yes, I've heard all the others with Warren.

Oh, shit. Can't forget the Rhyme & Reason. Another favourite version. Dave snarls his way through this one, both musically and vocally.

Best Jimi scat. Great WWYS breakdown. Midset Ants and Two Step. The Nancies/Warehouse combo is probably the best one from that year. Even the Grey Street and Stay are memorable.

And it's nice they included Help Myself. To my recollection, Boyd doesn't frig that one up. In fact, Boyd was pretty good all around.

Damn, what a show. The peak of their live career. At least before Roi died. I'll never understand why Stefan said he was bored.

You always lay it out :upyours

As I said before, it really was the peak. Crazy a decade has come and gone. And Stefan said that cause that's just something Stefan would say. :whatever should be renamed :stefan

FiddySpence
03-08-2013, 09:58 PM
stefan ain't having a good time unless he can feel the sweat coming off the bros in the front row whipping him in the face as they headbang to his ASTB bunny hop.

Jack
03-08-2013, 10:03 PM
stefan ain't having a good time unless he can feel the sweat coming off the bros in the front row whipping him in the face as they headbang to his ASTB bunny hop.

@ 6/14/08 "hey guthys, thith show is pretty great, but I really feel Hunger right now would feed thith audience like we wouldn't even understand."

FiddySpence
03-08-2013, 10:04 PM
:lol

Bluewater34
11-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Listening to this one for the first time in probably ten years today. I swear I had forgotten almost everything about it. It had the bad luck to come out right as my interest in the band was beginning to flag, and I doubt I listened to the whole thing more than two or three times.

Anyway, God Damn! What a show. Aside from WTWE sucking all the energy out of the early part of the show, and WYA fucking up the encore, this one is nearly perfect. I love a good Roi show, and this one is. His WWYS solo is insane!

Bluewater34
11-24-2014, 04:32 PM
Also, the bonus disc: :rawk

mjf
11-24-2014, 07:31 PM
September was just a great month to be a fan. I saw my first band show in Hershey, Some Devil, central park obviously, and I saw Tim do a solo show to less than 20 people. Good times

Best Cortez IMO. Probably top 3 DDTW too. I remember when DDTW opened in Charlotte '04 that I was disappointed it didn't have that Dave screaming end. Very hard version to top

MaLaKaS
11-24-2014, 11:03 PM
September was just a great month to be a fan. I saw my first band show in Hershey, Some Devil, central park obviously, and I saw Tim do a solo show to less than 20 people. Good times

Best Cortez IMO. Probably top 3 DDTW too. I remember when DDTW opened in Charlotte '04 that I was disappointed it didn't have that Dave screaming end. Very hard version to top

:upyours this show contains the best DDTW.

dmb2much40
11-25-2014, 06:35 AM
Set list aside, I go back to this show often. The performance is so spot on, honestly I think one of the best performed shows I ever heard. Don't drink, granny, two step, Cortez, watchtower are all top notch.

mjf
11-25-2014, 09:59 AM
My dad actually loved this show even at the ripe age of 60 something. I must have bought 4 or 5 copies of this over the years because he could never figure out how the hell to open up the cd case so with each new copy he would just break it open :lol then throw the discs in the door compartment of his car

Jayes
11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
My dad slid my CP disc one between the CD deck and the dash thinking he was putting it in the player :lol still in there. Glad I have a digital copy!

dmb448
08-17-2016, 08:43 AM
The Last Stop from the Bonus Disc is incredible!

cryfreedom09
08-17-2016, 05:07 PM
The Last Stop from the Bonus Disc is incredible!

Best bonus disc known to man !!

JimBeam41
08-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Best bonus disc known to man !!

The CP bonus disc was stuck in my car CD player for an entire year when i was in college, i didn't mind it at all

MaLaKaS
08-19-2016, 02:54 AM
The CP bonus disc was stuck in my car CD player for an entire year when i was in college, i didn't mind it at all

:upyours same here

jeff1818
11-09-2016, 07:55 PM
Bartender > YNK > DT > Spoon is so good in the bonus CD! Love it.

Thrawn
11-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Yeah that bonus CD is amazing. One of the most unique mixes we've ever gotten, emphasizing Butch and blending everything together.