These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3081
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
Exactly. I don't think this info was common knowledge for a while. The first time I heard it was back in '08. Until then everyone was assuming T-Bone because it was widely known that he was in attendance at that D&T gig.

It also makes sense that they'd release 3/26/94, but why not mention that Lillywhite was there? Cool pieces of DMB history management glosses over...
I think its quite reasonable to think the people who release live tracks and write the ad copy for them had no idea Lillywhite had been at that show.
__________________

mario is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #3082
Crush87
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 10,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I think its quite reasonable to think the people who release live tracks and write the ad copy for them had no idea Lillywhite had been at that show.
Sure but it's also quite reasonable that they'd leave out that Healy mixed LT21, but they didn't because they know it's something some of us would get excited about / find interesting. So they do throw bones from time to time, but oddly leave out some good info.
Crush87 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #3083
Huff
The Original Tracklist
 
Huff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincy area/Northern KY
Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
Sure but it's also quite reasonable that they'd leave out that Healy mixed LT21, but they didn't because they know it's something some of us would get excited about / find interesting. So they do throw bones from time to time, but oddly leave out some good info.
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who was involved in the mixing be known by virtue of management having to pay them some amount for using their mix as a commercial release? Even if it's a small amount? So to me, it makes more sense that they'd know about someone doing the mix moreso than someone merely in attendance (seemingly unannounced) at the show.
__________________
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvillePong View Post
In fact, it's so small, I call it a "door stop cock".


You know, like the door stops. It just sits there. Doesn't even hang. You can flick it, and it just makes the noise "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring".
Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #3084
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who was involved in the mixing be known by virtue of management having to pay them some amount for using their mix as a commercial release? Even if it's a small amount? So to me, it makes more sense that they'd know about someone doing the mix moreso than someone merely in attendance (seemingly unannounced) at the show.
My thoughts exactly.
__________________

mario is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3085
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 44,049
Lillywhite did not ruin Halloween.
__________________
NiCK
NiCK Crush is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #3086
wilsah1141
 
wilsah1141's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 1,885
I did a sound engineering project on Halloween when I was in school. We had to break the song down by time sig changes, key, and structure and then play it for the class. My course director and lab instructors were blown away....
wilsah1141 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #3087
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 44,049
It's just a different, glamorized version of the song. It still packs the same raw punch live that everyone loves.

Personally, its easily a Top 10 studio track for me.
__________________
NiCK
NiCK Crush is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3088
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
i don't hate it, it's just different. but i still much prefer it live. there's almost no guitar on the riff, just stefan.
FiddySpence is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3089
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,688
I actually really like the live versions of the song they did right after BTCS that attempted to emulate the album arrangement (like on the MTV performance that's floating around online).

I don't know the I'd ever want them to go back to playing it that way, but they're fun listens still.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #3090
Welsh
Would you play by the rules?
 
Welsh's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i don't hate it, it's just different. but i still much prefer it live. there's almost no guitar on the riff, just stefan.
There are a few DMB songs that I think are just better experienced live. Halloween is one of them.
__________________
-Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan1
As long as they can suck the rust off a trailer hitch, its all good to me.
Welsh is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #3091
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,688
Studio Halloween was also the first song I used as a ringtone when I got a flip-phone that could play actual music back in law school.

Before that it was a shitty Ericcson phone that could only beep the Super Mario Bros. theme if you spent a half hour programming each note.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #3092
Huff
The Original Tracklist
 
Huff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincy area/Northern KY
Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i don't hate it, it's just different. but i still much prefer it live. there's almost no guitar on the riff, just stefan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
There are a few DMB songs that I think are just better experienced live. Halloween is one of them.
I agree with both of the above. Halloween live is intense. Halloween on BTCS is merely a big intro to Stone for me.
__________________
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvillePong View Post
In fact, it's so small, I call it a "door stop cock".


You know, like the door stops. It just sits there. Doesn't even hang. You can flick it, and it just makes the noise "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring".
Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #3093
SonofSuns34
 
SonofSuns34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,994
Does any other song illicit the response that Halloween does from a crowd?
SonofSuns34 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #3094
Huff
The Original Tracklist
 
Huff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincy area/Northern KY
Posts: 7,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Does any other song illicit the response that Halloween does from a crowd?
For some crowds, I'd think that Last Stop would cause a crowd to explode. Wrigley comes to mind. But even that response was nothing compared to the responses to every Halloween I've witnessed (3 band, 1 d&t).
__________________
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvillePong View Post
In fact, it's so small, I call it a "door stop cock".


You know, like the door stops. It just sits there. Doesn't even hang. You can flick it, and it just makes the noise "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring".
Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #3095
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Does any other song illicit the response that Halloween does from a crowd?
Crash Into Me
__________________

mario is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #3096
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 44,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Crash Into Me
10 years ago, maybe.
__________________
NiCK
NiCK Crush is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #3097
SonofSuns34
 
SonofSuns34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
For some crowds, I'd think that Last Stop would cause a crowd to explode. Wrigley comes to mind. But even that response was nothing compared to the responses to every Halloween I've witnessed (3 band, 1 d&t).
I bet the venue helps too, seeing it in MSG is unparalleled to anything else I have seen, even the fake out in Virginia Beach, and the out of the blue one in Camden in 09
SonofSuns34 is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #3098
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
Does any other song illicit the response that Halloween does from a crowd?
Halloween blows the roof off when you've got a crowd of hardcores -- the pavilion was going bananas when they played it at Riverbend unexpectedly in '08, but I have no idea what the regular fans on the lawn were doing. Same deal in C'ville when it came out after Watchtower -- but that crowd was probably as hardcore from rail to rafters as I've ever seen.

Last Stop is close, and in a different sense (less wild cheering, but same "holy shit...") so is #40.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #3099
mario
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
I bet the venue helps too, seeing it in MSG is unparalleled to anything else I have seen, even the fake out in Virginia Beach, and the out of the blue one in Camden in 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
C'ville...-- but that crowd was probably as hardcore from rail to rafters as I've ever seen.

To both these posts, I would just like to say: Red Rocks.
__________________

mario is offline  
Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3100
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 16,769
Yea. Red Rocks moved.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org
@MrKrover

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline  
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.20854 seconds with 29 queries