These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #3081
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
Exactly. I don't think this info was common knowledge for a while. The first time I heard it was back in '08. Until then everyone was assuming T-Bone because it was widely known that he was in attendance at that D&T gig.

It also makes sense that they'd release 3/26/94, but why not mention that Lillywhite was there? Cool pieces of DMB history management glosses over...
I think its quite reasonable to think the people who release live tracks and write the ad copy for them had no idea Lillywhite had been at that show.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #3082
Crush87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I think its quite reasonable to think the people who release live tracks and write the ad copy for them had no idea Lillywhite had been at that show.
Sure but it's also quite reasonable that they'd leave out that Healy mixed LT21, but they didn't because they know it's something some of us would get excited about / find interesting. So they do throw bones from time to time, but oddly leave out some good info.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #3083
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush87 View Post
Sure but it's also quite reasonable that they'd leave out that Healy mixed LT21, but they didn't because they know it's something some of us would get excited about / find interesting. So they do throw bones from time to time, but oddly leave out some good info.
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who was involved in the mixing be known by virtue of management having to pay them some amount for using their mix as a commercial release? Even if it's a small amount? So to me, it makes more sense that they'd know about someone doing the mix moreso than someone merely in attendance (seemingly unannounced) at the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvillePong View Post
In fact, it's so small, I call it a "door stop cock".

You know, like the door stops. It just sits there. Doesn't even hang. You can flick it, and it just makes the noise "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring".
Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #3084
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
Yeah, but wouldn't someone who was involved in the mixing be known by virtue of management having to pay them some amount for using their mix as a commercial release? Even if it's a small amount? So to me, it makes more sense that they'd know about someone doing the mix moreso than someone merely in attendance (seemingly unannounced) at the show.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3085
NiCK Crush

Lillywhite did not ruin Halloween.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #3086
wilsah1141

I did a sound engineering project on Halloween when I was in school. We had to break the song down by time sig changes, key, and structure and then play it for the class. My course director and lab instructors were blown away....
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #3087
NiCK Crush

It's just a different, glamorized version of the song. It still packs the same raw punch live that everyone loves.

Personally, its easily a Top 10 studio track for me.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #3088
FiddySpence
TDCya

i don't hate it, it's just different. but i still much prefer it live. there's almost no guitar on the riff, just stefan.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #3089
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
I actually really like the live versions of the song they did right after BTCS that attempted to emulate the album arrangement (like on the MTV performance that's floating around online).

I don't know the I'd ever want them to go back to playing it that way, but they're fun listens still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #3090
Welsh
Would you play by the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i don't hate it, it's just different. but i still much prefer it live. there's almost no guitar on the riff, just stefan.
There are a few DMB songs that I think are just better experienced live. Halloween is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan1
As long as they can suck the rust off a trailer hitch, its all good to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #3091
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Studio Halloween was also the first song I used as a ringtone when I got a flip-phone that could play actual music back in law school.

Before that it was a shitty Ericcson phone that could only beep the Super Mario Bros. theme if you spent a half hour programming each note.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #3092
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
There are a few DMB songs that I think are just better experienced live. Halloween is one of them.
I agree with both of the above. Halloween live is intense. Halloween on BTCS is merely a big intro to Stone for me.

Quote:

You know, like the door stops. It just sits there. Doesn't even hang. You can flick it, and it just makes the noise "brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring".
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #3093
SonofSuns34

Does any other song illicit the response that Halloween does from a crowd?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #3094
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
For some crowds, I'd think that Last Stop would cause a crowd to explode. Wrigley comes to mind. But even that response was nothing compared to the responses to every Halloween I've witnessed (3 band, 1 d&t).

Quote:

Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #3095
mario

Quote:
Crash Into Me

Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #3096
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
Crash Into Me
10 years ago, maybe.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #3097
SonofSuns34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
For some crowds, I'd think that Last Stop would cause a crowd to explode. Wrigley comes to mind. But even that response was nothing compared to the responses to every Halloween I've witnessed (3 band, 1 d&t).
I bet the venue helps too, seeing it in MSG is unparalleled to anything else I have seen, even the fake out in Virginia Beach, and the out of the blue one in Camden in 09
Old 02-20-2012, 01:54 PM   #3098
Caveat Emperor
X Gon' Give It To Ya

Quote:
Halloween blows the roof off when you've got a crowd of hardcores -- the pavilion was going bananas when they played it at Riverbend unexpectedly in '08, but I have no idea what the regular fans on the lawn were doing. Same deal in C'ville when it came out after Watchtower -- but that crowd was probably as hardcore from rail to rafters as I've ever seen.

Last Stop is close, and in a different sense (less wild cheering, but same "holy shit...") so is #40.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #3099
mario

Quote:
I bet the venue helps too, seeing it in MSG is unparalleled to anything else I have seen, even the fake out in Virginia Beach, and the out of the blue one in Camden in 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
C'ville...-- but that crowd was probably as hardcore from rail to rafters as I've ever seen.

To both these posts, I would just like to say: Red Rocks.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #3100
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Yea. Red Rocks moved.

Another child that's grown old
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc