These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2022, 10:08 PM   #30401
soups
Rashawn has to go
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MKE & LEX
Posts: 29,467
Canít Rashawn learn something else. Clearly he has talent. Maybe he could play the medieval instrument Leavetheband
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups on 4-29-2006
Rapunzel doesn't need any goddamn trumpet
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:18 AM   #30402
Xcacel
 
Xcacel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 533
Has anybody listened to this show? Seems interesting

[Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
Tucker Rogers, give me the key of the archive. I'll do the rest.
Xcacel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:10 AM   #30403
soups
Rashawn has to go
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MKE & LEX
Posts: 29,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcacel View Post
Has anybody listened to this show? Seems interesting

[Only registered users can see links.]

the show took a drastic left turn into the not-so-exciting "Idea of You." The "Smooth Rider" that followed was a dissapointment to start, but Reynold's slashing slide guitar saved it from mediocrity. The set-ending "Louisiana Bayou" was also a bit of a curious end to an otherwise outstanding set

This guy gets it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups on 4-29-2006
Rapunzel doesn't need any goddamn trumpet
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:54 AM   #30404
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 32,920
Who the hell doesn't like IOY? 2008 was one of its best years, too.

Set looks fairly strong. There are a couple bumps near the end. But it's fresh Coffin a few days after Roi's accident.

Here's a few songs: [Only registered users can see links.]
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:23 AM   #30405
dmb2much40
 
dmb2much40's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,451
Really it’s just the last three songs of the main set that are a bummer all in a row, and Tim made a lot of those 2005-07 songs way better. The some devil songs were a novelty that tour as well.
__________________
-Monica
dmb2much40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 05:55 PM   #30406
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I never had such complaints about other trumpeters, like my late grandfather or Louis Armstrong.
Your grandfather played trumpet? Mine played sax!
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 01:04 AM   #30407
gweeps
homesick android
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 32,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Your grandfather played trumpet? Mine played sax!
Musical grandpas.
__________________
"If we do not believe in freedom of expression for those we despise we don't believe in it at all." ~ Noam Chomsky
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:25 PM   #30408
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,282
A$AP Rocky has a new song called "D.M.B." It stands for "Dat's My Bitch"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #30409
Tomacco
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
A$AP Rocky has a new song called "D.M.B." It stands for "Dat's My Bitch"
Is it a cover of Busted Stuff?
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:27 PM   #30410
soups
Rashawn has to go
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MKE & LEX
Posts: 29,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Is it a cover of Busted Stuff?

she my bitch
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups on 4-29-2006
Rapunzel doesn't need any goddamn trumpet
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 PM   #30411
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Is it a cover of Busted Stuff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post

she my bitch
that's exactly what I was thinking. Also, I wish Dave would've kept that title.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 AM   #30412
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Who the hell doesn't like IOY? 2008 was one of its best years, too.

Set looks fairly strong. There are a couple bumps near the end. But it's fresh Coffin a few days after Roi's accident.

Here's a few songs: [Only registered users can see links.]
Iíve never been a fan of IOY honestly. It was always a middle of the road tune for me.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #30413
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Iíve never been a fan of IOY honestly. It was always a middle of the road tune for me.
I'm on the fence of not being able to stand the tune to taking it for what it is... A bearable tune. The lyrics are embarrassing.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #30414
soups
Rashawn has to go
 
soups's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: MKE & LEX
Posts: 29,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
I'm on the fence of not being able to stand the tune to taking it for what it is... A bearable tune. The lyrics are embarrassing.
I liked it at first, then it got kinda schitzo with the drums and cooled off with it. And the lyrics are potentially the most embarrassing in the catalog. The "Pull your hair" thing makes me want to scream
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups on 4-29-2006
Rapunzel doesn't need any goddamn trumpet
soups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 PM   #30415
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I liked it at first, then it got kinda schitzo with the drums and cooled off with it. And the lyrics are potentially the most embarrassing in the catalog. The "Pull your hair" thing makes me want to scream
Absolutely the most embarrassing stuff.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #30416
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
I liked it at first, then it got kinda schitzo with the drums and cooled off with it. And the lyrics are potentially the most embarrassing in the catalog. The "Pull your hair" thing makes me want to scream
Yeah lyrically one of the worst in their catalog. The music is pretty cool and Definitley has one of their most catchy choruses, and I do like the horn line but to me it sounds like what it should beóa b-side. Aside from the lyrics, itís missing something, not quite sure what, maybe a lack of Boyd/Roi interplay, but itís just kind of flat.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:24 PM   #30417
dmb1981
 
dmb1981's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah lyrically one of the worst in their catalog. The music is pretty cool and Definitley has one of their most catchy choruses, and I do like the horn line but to me it sounds like what it should beóa b-side. Aside from the lyrics, itís missing something, not quite sure what, maybe a lack of Boyd/Roi interplay, but itís just kind of flat.
They have many, many songs with better choruses. It's not that great.
__________________
Long live the Matthews Band
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #30418
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinoyed
Posts: 19,976
The "kick you in your shins" line is even worse in IOY.


However I like the song and lyrics for the most part.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Iíll give you a fucking fact. I donít give a shit what you think or say. Now thatís a fact
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 11:02 PM   #30419
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
They have many, many songs with better choruses. It's not that great.
Maybe not lyrically, but it really is one of their catchier choruses. Like, "radio catchy".

Also, I don't mind the kick you in your shins or pull your hair lines at all because they fit in the context of the song. He's just saying those are things a little kid would do to a girl he likes and that he might have done (or did do) those things to the girl in question when he was younger, but now that he's grown he wants to do *ahem* grown up things to her. I don't know. Personally, it's never bothered me.

Last edited by brian3641; 05-06-2022 at 11:34 PM.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 12:55 AM   #30420
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 14,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Maybe not lyrically, but it really is one of their catchier choruses. Like, "radio catchy".

Also, I don't mind the kick you in your shins or pull your hair lines at all because they fit in the context of the song. He's just saying those are things a little kid would do to a girl he likes and that he might have done (or did do) those things to the girl in question when he was younger, but now that he's grown he wants to do *ahem* grown up things to her. I don't know. Personally, it's never bothered me.
Thatís what I meantÖmore ďcommerciallyĒ catchy. Of course they have much better choruses than that. Those lines are awful. Regardless of whether they fit the context, itís incredibly juvenile writing. Its like a 2nd grader wrote the lyrics. He could have come up with many other clever ways to say the same thing. Theyíre awkward lines to sing as well, so they really stand out and not in a good way.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.14430 seconds with 14 queries