Sweet
Baby
Let You Down
Dreams of our Fathers
Old 08-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #17482
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I was actually thinking about #34 the other day. It's one of the four studio tunes I haven't gotten in my 57 shows.

I ended up getting a lengthy Blue Water tease and Halloween at show #1.

Somehow never heard #34, Let You Down, Mother Father and Everybody Wake Up. The latter was cut from the set at 4 shows I attended.
At least those are all songs that are at the height of rarity and "point in time" for the most part, you're not missing anything egregious that you should have seen.

I feel like I was very lucky in my show going. In only 20 shows I've seen all studio DMB album tracks except:

American Baby*
EWU
Smooth Rider
Angel
FTT*
IDI
IIHIA
Mother Father
STDH
Cry Freedom*
LYD*
DIDO*
#34*

So more or less not seeing a show on the ED and SU tours is the majority of that list. The starred ones are the only ones I'd actually actively want to see anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:04 PM   #17483
Josh.0

You Never Know not opening a show is criminal.

I have some other personal gripes as well that've accumulated over the years:

- They've never segued Grey Street into JTR. The last chord of Grey Street is the first chord of JTR. How has Dave never thought of doing this?!

- I don't believe Minarets Last Stop has ever happened either. Never mind the fact that it should be a full encore they do regularly. This one is a no-brainer.

- I don't believe Spoon has ever opened a show. How electric would that be?

- Up and Away is one of Dave's best solo songs and never gets any love in the E1 slot (or anywhere, for that matter). It's horribly underrated and I'd prefer to hear it full band over Dodo. Great guitar work from Dave on U&A.

- Rashawn/Jeff's intro on Sugar Will is always way, way too short. It should go on for at least a couple of minutes. It's the best thing Rashawn's ever added to the band.

- Dave needs to play his parts during Busted Stuff.

- Dave needs to get back to playing Raven without a bunch of open chords. The pulls he'd use on the 12-string are part of what made that song so beautiful to listen to.

- #34 Warehouse would have been an amazing encore. Chord-wise the end of #34 is very similar to Warehouse and all Dave would have to do is slide down one fret to jump right into Warehouse.

- Rooftop Rhyme and Reason would be really fun back to back. Similar guitar work in both and the band could definitely work a really fun segue from one to the other.

- The Stone should have been closing more shows. In fact, it should have been a true staple all of these years.

- The Last Stop is the only DMB song that I think sounds better on a 6-string than a 12-string. The 12-string adds too much to a song that's already heavily layered. You just don't need it.

- The band should have added a full time banjo player before they added a trumpet.

- If Only is severely underrated musically. It's a groove that not enough fans appreciate. Musically, it has a similar vibe to Sugar Will

- The band should have covered a David Bowie song during the 2016 tour.

- Hello Again should have been opening shows, closing main sets, and closing encores by now. It's a freakin' jam with Tim onboard and its absence is baffling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev fig View Post
But yeah, I did want to make it abundantly clear that I spend only a fraction of my time on here, the message board that sent LeRoi Moore a pair of sunglasses after his ATV accident
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:12 PM   #17484
mja271

I never get too bent out of shape about the "why hasn't this opened/closed" stuff (although I'm always in favor of rotating power slots), but it's more the general lack of plays for so many great songs in the catalog that sucks to me. As to your points Josh, I would agree with most of them with the exception of the Sugar Will horn intro, I can't stand that personally, and If Only. The groove to that song is good relative to the rest of their catalog but imo, it's really nothing to write home about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:18 PM   #17485
Josh.0

Mike I'm right about everything. Everything!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev fig View Post
But yeah, I did want to make it abundantly clear that I spend only a fraction of my time on here, the message board that sent LeRoi Moore a pair of sunglasses after his ATV accident
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:14 PM   #17486
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
You Never Know not opening a show is criminal.

I have some other personal gripes as well that've accumulated over the years:

- They've never segued Grey Street into JTR. The last chord of Grey Street is the first chord of JTR. How has Dave never thought of doing this?!

- I don't believe Minarets Last Stop has ever happened either. Never mind the fact that it should be a full encore they do regularly. This one is a no-brainer.

- I don't believe Spoon has ever opened a show. How electric would that be?

- Up and Away is one of Dave's best solo songs and never gets any love in the E1 slot (or anywhere, for that matter). It's horribly underrated and I'd prefer to hear it full band over Dodo. Great guitar work from Dave on U&A.

- Rashawn/Jeff's intro on Sugar Will is always way, way too short. It should go on for at least a couple of minutes. It's the best thing Rashawn's ever added to the band.

- Dave needs to play his parts during Busted Stuff.

- Dave needs to get back to playing Raven without a bunch of open chords. The pulls he'd use on the 12-string are part of what made that song so beautiful to listen to.

- #34 Warehouse would have been an amazing encore. Chord-wise the end of #34 is very similar to Warehouse and all Dave would have to do is slide down one fret to jump right into Warehouse.

- Rooftop Rhyme and Reason would be really fun back to back. Similar guitar work in both and the band could definitely work a really fun segue from one to the other.

- The Stone should have been closing more shows. In fact, it should have been a true staple all of these years.

- The Last Stop is the only DMB song that I think sounds better on a 6-string than a 12-string. The 12-string adds too much to a song that's already heavily layered. You just don't need it.

- The band should have added a full time banjo player before they added a trumpet.

- If Only is severely underrated musically. It's a groove that not enough fans appreciate. Musically, it has a similar vibe to Sugar Will

- The band should have covered a David Bowie song during the 2016 tour.

- Hello Again should have been opening shows, closing main sets, and closing encores by now. It's a freakin' jam with Tim onboard and its absence is baffling.
you have some very good points here
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:59 PM   #17487
jeffym
KOAT

Does TDC have an offseason thread?
Old 08-31-2016, 11:39 PM   #17488
SomeDevil17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffym View Post
This place will be a dead once the band takes a break. Seems like so many of us on here are just as ready for a break as the band. Minus any announcements we get about live releases or the like this place will be hardly active I bet.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:50 AM   #17489
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffym View Post
It's just all of them, basically. But this one is the spot for something that doesn't have/need a thread of it's own. Although an offseason/what's next? thread might be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDevil17 View Post
This place will be a dead once the band takes a break. Seems like so many of us on here are just as ready for a break as the band. Minus any announcements we get about live releases or the like this place will be hardly active I bet.
Those of us who are here primarily for the nDMCc these days will still be around, but yeah, there certainly won't be a lot of activity.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:04 AM   #17490
i like tictacs
pink and green

Is there general agreement about the change of sound that the band went through after the passing of LeRoi?

Everything just seems like its played at breakneck speed now - whereas Roi was kind of like the regulator. And when he played, it was just the sweetest sound, and every note fit perfectly
Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 AM   #17491
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like tictacs View Post
Is there general agreement about the change of sound that the band went through after the passing of LeRoi?

Everything just seems like its played at breakneck speed now - whereas Roi was kind of like the regulator. And when he played, it was just the sweetest sound, and every note fit perfectly

Yes, I think it's been mentioned here before.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #17492
dmb2much40

It wasn't an immediate change. It seems to have accelerated since 2011.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #17493
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
It wasn't an immediate change. It seems to have accelerated since 2011.
I think it goes back to 2009 summer tour. Big Whiskey brought about a lot of it.

Summer shows from 2008 to 2009 are very different. Hopefully the break gives them a chance to step back and mix up the sound a bit.

I really hope they come back with a different approach to the music. A different lineup would go a long way, but I'm not banking on that.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #17494
Tambourine Man
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by i like tictacs View Post

I think a lot of the change is attributable to Carter, but nobody likes it and it's a big reason DMB sounds stale to a lot of people
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #17495
dmb2much40

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
I think it goes back to 2009 summer tour. Big Whiskey brought about a lot of it.

Summer shows from 2008 to 2009 are very different. Hopefully the break gives them a chance to step back and mix up the sound a bit.

I really hope they come back with a different approach to the music. A different lineup would go a long way, but I'm not banking on that.
You're right but I think when Jeff took a back seat and tim was more prominent, which was 2011/12, it was very jarring. At least to me.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #17496
Fan#41

Sounds about right. But I think Monica is also right a few posts earlier saying it wasn't immediate. Rashawn's additions, encouraged by Roi sadly, was the start of a new sound for the band with the "horn section". Then that only amplified and got a bit out of control when Rashawn took the reigns of stage left. Couple that with Jeff's power and presence on stage pushing Carter to smash away and Tim matching energy with noise.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #17497
Tomacco

So, Rashawn's latest Instagram post in Seattle kind of makes me hate him. Posting photos of his "welcome to the four seasons" welcome package including a gold watch. Show some humility, dude.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #17498
DMBCLSTJ

In his defense, he gets paid to promote Rockwell watches, so he will typically make sure he posts pics with him either wearing or holding the watch.
DMBCLSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #17499
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

Pretty sure the welcome thing from the hotel is the fruit and cheese or whatever and that the watch is his.
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #17500
Tambourine Man
TDCya

Daves vocal coach posted a preview of the C'ville tv special on Instagram.

Edit: nevermind this has its own thread
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc