These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #29341
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Nobodyís really comparing dmb to phish. Not musically anyway. Itís just that dmb is capable of doing more then what they put out each tour. Exactly like you said in the last sentence. They come out for the first few shows, and mix it up. After that itís the same the rest of the tour, for the most part. Also , the looming Dave favorites set is a possibility each night. Take a look at Jones beach 2018, or Nashville 2019. Why travel to different cityís all over the country for that? Thatís all Iím saying. Why see them more than once? My last two shows were almost the exact same. Will I see them again? Probably. Iím really just going to catch a few good songs. Maybe a surprise or 2. I donít hate them, but at the same time I probably wonít listen to them as religiously as a I once did. I think thatís a pretty fair point.
No one was happy with 2018 or 2019. The final vote on this board for the current tourís success is 47 - 3.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #29342
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
No one was happy with 2018 or 2019. The final vote on this board for the current tour’s success is 47 - 3.
I do think a lot of that vote had to do with pulling off a tour that no pne expected to even happen during a global pandemic. But, dmb are what they are at this point. To expect them to change is insanity. I didn’t listen to a whole lot of the tour, but from what I did they sounded excellent. Phish has been the same four guys for like 35 years. DMB was really only a static 5 piece for 7 years. That’s 7 out of 30 years as a band. Phish is been the same band since Holdsworth left in 1986.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #29343
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I do think a lot of that vote had to do with pulling off a tour that no pne expected to even happen during a global pandemic. But, dmb are what they are at this point. To expect them to change is insanity. I didnít listen to a whole lot of the tour, but from what I did they sounded excellent. Phish has been the same four guys for like 35 years. DMB was really only a static 5 piece for 7 years. Thatís 7 out of 30 years as a band. Phish is been the same band since Holdsworth left in 1986.
Check the thread out. It was also about the music, the effort, the new music, playing longer, better songs being the more frequent songs. My whole point is that most people left actually like them. I get ďlit upĒ by being called an apologist for liking them and defending that. ďOh they could do this if they really caredĒ is pointless to say in 2021. If your problem is comparing a band that does care to Phish, then youíll be satisfied with nothing but phish and thatís fine. I will also never understand anyone who only posts negative stuff, but still does it every hour of every day in every thread.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #29344
patsfan39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Just think how amazing Phish would be if they had actual songs that were great like Stone, DT or JTR

Im sure this is a joke, but heres a few i can say musically are right at the top of anything ive ever heard by any band:

Divided Sky, Harry Hood, David Bowie, Chalkdust Torture, Fluffhead, Run Like an Antelope, Reba, The Lizards, YEM, etc.

I could also make a similar list for DMB too though. i really like Phish, but DMB is just more my cup of tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
Citing "poor lyrics" as the reason for not liking Seven is like saying you don't like ice cream because "it's cold."

You have a point, but it's a stupid one.
patsfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 10:56 AM   #29345
cgator41

Quote:
My whole point is that most people left actually like them.
Quote:
I will also never understand anyone who only posts negative stuff, but still does it every hour of every day in every thread.

cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #29346
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

Quote:
Because we've been around for a long time. We've all seen it before. People that come into a group, and tell you that they aren't into something any more, but then continue to hang out here and rip on what they no longer like instead of just moving on. If you're over the ex, stop talking about her.

I love Phish, I've had a decade where I paid way more attention to them, and listened way more. The need to compare and point things out like we haven't heard it all before - and for 25 years no less, everyone is over it. There are plenty of places to talk about how you have no interest in listening to DMB any more because of Phish than the side of a board where people generally still listen to DMB.

Let's start a "I just canceled my WH membership" thread, too.

The people that are still here talking about DMB and gone through all the filtering out of the people who don't want to.

THIS
BrokenThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #29347
kylebond13
soul singer in a session band

Dave Matthews Band is my first love. A gateway to a thousand bands. Their early catalogue is untouchable. The rest pales in comparison. I've been a very active fan since 1995, joined Warehouse on the day it started, etc etc.. I am here only to say there's a bit of Kool Aid drinking going on in and around here. Using Phish as an example is simply to illustrate that there is a lot more thought and effort that could go in to the DMB camp. Do I still love them? Yes. Do I still hit at least a show a year? Yes. Do I still tune in to many Sirius Fridays? Yes. My frustration is that with a moderate level of additional effort, they could be exponentially better. But they've diverted course from a young, hungry band. They're fat, rich and lazy. Face it!
Old 11-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #29348
sean52692
You failed this band

It's the internet tough guy condescending attitude in the first post that is the problem. The classic message board trope of the jaded DMB fan discovering Phish then coming back to dunk on Dave is so played out and old. We've seen it too many times to count.

It's funny too because you never see it with different bands. It's just Phish. You never log on and see someone say "Man, I've been digging the shit out of Metallica recently. Barely listen to DMB anymore because I'm such a huge Metallica fan now."

I'm glad people enjoy Phish, they're a good band, but the Phish rocks DMB sucks journal entries bring nothing to the table from a discussion or entertainment perspective. Board better.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #29349
sean52692
You failed this band

Speaking of Metallica, a dude who runs a Metallica podcast was just on Corner Of Grey Street podcast, seemed like a cool dude.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:35 PM   #29350
sean52692
You failed this band

Dear diary,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
I saw 4 phish shows in the last few months. That was my first run of phish shows ever. After show number 2 (Sacramento) it really hit me hard. I no longer have the desire to listen to dmb. Not even the older stuff. All I want to listen to is phish. The new live trax release today doesnít even get me excited. Iím to the point where Iíll probably never travel for dmb again. Iíll almost certainly will never see multiple shows in a year ever again. Iím spending my most hard earned money on Phish. I just get a hell of a lot more out of phish.

Watch Iíll finally muster up some excitement for dmb a few days before my next dmb show. Then they will open with a nice run of Dave favorites, and my excitement will deflate like a balloon.
Signed,
Dave's Biggest Fan
Old 11-05-2021, 09:39 PM   #29351
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Like what you like. Dislike what you don't like. As long as we are civil about it, it's all good. That's just my take on music.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:55 PM   #29352
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
It's the internet tough guy condescending attitude in the first post that is the problem. The classic message board trope of the jaded DMB fan discovering Phish then coming back to dunk on Dave is so played out and old. We've seen it too many times to count.

It's funny too because you never see it with different bands. It's just Phish. You never log on and see someone say "Man, I've been digging the shit out of Metallica recently. Barely listen to DMB anymore because I'm such a huge Metallica fan now."

I'm glad people enjoy Phish, they're a good band, but the Phish rocks DMB sucks journal entries bring nothing to the table from a discussion or entertainment perspective. Board better.
What does that say about phish if itís never any other band?
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:38 AM   #29353
willndmb

Phish never really did much for me.
If they are in town, cool but I am not traveling for them.
I would rather see TAB over Phish any day

WSP for me if we are talking true jam bands
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:24 PM   #29354
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
Phish never really did much for me.
If they are in town, cool but I am not traveling for them.
I would rather see TAB over Phish any day

WSP for me if we are talking true jam bands
Agree, I'm TAB over Phish 8 days a week.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:55 AM   #29355
greykitkat36

Hereís a fun fact: this year was the least Jimi Thing has been played during a full scale touring year since 2001.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:59 AM   #29356
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I do think a lot of that vote had to do with pulling off a tour that no pne expected to even happen during a global pandemic. But, dmb are what they are at this point. To expect them to change is insanity. I didnít listen to a whole lot of the tour, but from what I did they sounded excellent. Phish has been the same four guys for like 35 years. DMB was really only a static 5 piece for 7 years. Thatís 7 out of 30 years as a band. Phish is been the same band since Holdsworth left in 1986.
Thatís a very good point about phish being the same. Lineup changes undoubtedly change the sound. Itís amazing Phish has never changed at all in 30 years. No additions, no rotating members nothing. Itís truly amazing actually and pretty rare thing to see.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #29357
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Alright guys, we love this family for all their stupid/fun videos, but this....I don't know...

ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #29358
cgator41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Alright guys, we love this family for all their stupid/fun videos...
Speak for yourself.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #29359
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgator41 View Post
Speak for yourself.
Not my cup of tea.
Thor2531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:49 AM   #29360
Yeedog
Heidi-ho Neighboreno

This came across my YouTube recommendations and I though it was really cool as somebody with an interest in Music Theory.

This person basically breaks down You Never Know from a classical music theory stand point and basically tells us what makes this song good. Lots of talk about time signature and key shifts along with the interplay between the instruments.

I hope other musical YouTubers start doing in-depth break downs like this.

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.
Yeedog is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc