These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #1241
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
What were the best shows so far? For both of you doing this.
So far for me its been

7/21/92: Awesome show (great Blue Water, harmonica SMTS, Dave “Ariba!” Two Step, 15 min. Typical Situation with whispering intro)

10/31/92: Halloween debut, Blue Water Baboon Farm (awesome WWYS)

11/11/92: Crescendo Ants Intro. Good Boyd/Stefan improv jam. Great WWYS. Warehouse – “that’s my blood down there” repeated, prior to written “seems poured from the hands of angels..” lyrics

(yes... I'm keeping a running log of things that stand out to me. Copied over from that ^)
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #1242
drummerkrf

For the Halloween fans out there.

12/02/92 is one of the first versions where development of the song transitions from something experimental to what we know it to be now. This is the first time I've noticed where he goes into full-scream, lose-his-voice type vocals at the end.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #1243
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
So far for me its been

7/21/92: Awesome show (great Blue Water, harmonica SMTS, Dave “Ariba!” Two Step, 15 min. Typical Situation with whispering intro)

10/31/92: Halloween debut, Blue Water Baboon Farm (awesome WWYS)

11/11/92: Crescendo Ants Intro. Good Boyd/Stefan improv jam. Great WWYS. Warehouse – “that’s my blood down there” repeated, prior to written “seems poured from the hands of angels..” lyrics

(yes... I'm keeping a running log of things that stand out to me. Copied over from that ^)
Warehouse doesn't get that ending until UTTAD sessions, if I'm not mistaken.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #1244
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Probably right. It was just cool to hear him repeat it without the other lyrics...
Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #1245
FiddySpence
TDCya

i hate those old Warehouse endings. the lyrics he wrote for it on UTTAD are perfect.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM   #1246
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
i hate those old Warehouse endings. the lyrics he wrote for it on UTTAD are perfect.
Agreed. The band just cuts off out of nowhere in most of them.

EDIT: another thing about this era that I'm not a fan of... Ants. Peter over-synthes the shit out of it... it sounds ridiculous.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #1247
celluloid hero

Quote:
Agreed. The band just cuts off out of nowhere in most of them.

EDIT: another thing about this era that I'm not a fan of... Ants. Peter over-synthes the shit out of it... it sounds ridiculous.
It would've been much less prominent on AUDs. The soundboards are mixed with the house in mind. Most instruments are lower than the keys because they are audible without the microphones, the keys are not and are reliant on the speakers, so they are up higher in SBD mixes. So if you were to find a Peter era AUD, the balance should be much better and he'd be more in the background except when featured like Butch was.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:53 PM   #1248
drummerkrf

Quote:
It would've been much less prominent on AUDs. The soundboards are mixed with the house in mind. Most instruments are lower than the keys because they are audible without the microphones, the keys are not and are reliant on the speakers, so they are up higher in SBD mixes. So if you were to find a Peter era AUD, the balance should be much better and he'd be more in the background except when featured like Butch was.
Yah, never thought of that. I take a lot of the audio mixing and SBD stuff for granted. Not really all that well versed in those things. But from what you're saying... it makes perfect sense.

Thank god for those early 90s tapers.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #1249
greykitkat36

Quote:
Yah, never thought of that. I take a lot of the audio mixing and SBD stuff for granted. Not really all that well versed in those things. But from what you're saying... it makes perfect sense.

Thank god for those early 90s tapers.
What show are you on? I'm going to consider doing this myself.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #1250
Crush87

Quote:
This is very true.
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:57 AM   #1251
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
What show are you on? I'm going to consider doing this myself.
12/9/92 at the Floodzone.

Minarets suddenly becomes a regular in December '92.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #1252
batleon

Quote:
Great point

Any recommendations on a good AUD from that era? I don't think I've ever listened to anything but SBDs from the early days.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #1253
ThememanXX

I'll get around to the "best shows" question later today, but as of right now, 10/5/04's Hello Again is stellar. Carter, Leon Mobley and Leroi just GO OFF. This one is just smokin from start to finish, and I had been getting a little tired of Hello Again lately.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #1254
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
I'll get around to the "best shows" question later today, but as of right now, 10/5/04's Hello Again is stellar. Carter, Leon Mobley and Leroi just GO OFF. This one is just smokin from start to finish, and I had been getting a little tired of Hello Again lately.
Versions of songs like this should be making it to the Warehouse discs.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #1255
celluloid hero

Here's the problem. Especially when it comes to old versions (unbelievably, that Hello Again in 9 years old), we as a group in general know more about these non-obvious gems than the people picking the songs. A lot of that is because we have years worth of conversation between a lot of people who between us listen to every show in a discriminating way. Versions that were not obvious like a You Never Know from 5.10.02 or Say Goodbye from 6.3.99 or Warehouse 7.26.02 or So Right from Randall's 06 or this Hello Again are known amongst us commonly because someone talks about them enough for many people to listen to them.

They don't have that infrastructure there. I certainly don't blame them for that. I wish they would reach out a bit more to different populations. Obviously different sites have had some input into things including us (because they haven't credited it, I wouldn't want to get into details) and we have recently sent something, but all of those suggestions were initiated by us and you never want to wear out your welcome by sending list after list once a month and massive master lists usually get glanced over and aren't direct enough.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #1256
ThememanXX

Quote:
Obviously different sites have had some input into things including us (because they haven't credited it, I wouldn't want to get into details) and we have recently sent something, but all of those suggestions were initiated by us and you never want to wear out your welcome by sending list after list once a month and massive master lists usually get glanced over and aren't direct enough.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #1257
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

Quote:
11/11/92: Warehouse – “that’s my blood down there” repeated, prior to written “seems poured from the hands of angels..” lyrics
Quote:
Quote:
Probably right. It was just cool to hear him repeat it without the other lyrics...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
I'm sure some to all of you know this, but "that's my blood down there" is a line lifted from a Neville Brothers song, which they repeat in the original. That's why Dave had that one line, and sang it over and over, before writing the others.

The lines he did write for the post-UTTAD versions are some of my favorite Dave lyrics ever.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #1258
celluloid hero

Speaking of that part of Warehouse, what I don't like is that now that they jam out the section before, when they drop back into the "That's my blood down there" part, it goes from a fast intense jam back to the normal pace and it sounds awkward. It used to build to that ending, now it builds way up before that ending and deconstructs into the section and the passion of it is nowhere near as strong as it used to be. I noticed it most on the Live Trax v2.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #1259
batleon

Quote:
massive master lists usually get glanced over and aren't direct enough.
That's a shame because we could develop one very easily and all they'd need to do is slide 8 to 10 of them out a year and throw in anything else they like that we may have missed. They could go for years just based off of that list and never need to worry about making the effort, it'd all be done for them.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1260
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
I'm sure some to all of you know this, but "that's my blood down there" is a line lifted from a Neville Brothers song, which they repeat in the original. That's why Dave had that one line, and sang it over and over, before writing the others.

The lines he did write for the post-UTTAD versions are some of my favorite Dave lyrics ever.
i actually did not know that, thanks
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc