These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #29321
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
No other band does this. So if you're going to compare what other bands do to Phish and decide you don't want to listen to DMB any more because of it, or the Baker's Dozen, then you aren't going to want to listen to anything any more.

The point is that all bands are different and you can enjoy different bands for different reasons without "they don't do what a band CAN do, therefore I'm not listening."
My man.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #29322
soups
Rashawn has to go

Quote:
No other band does this. So if you're going to compare what other bands do to Phish and decide you don't want to listen to DMB any more because of it, or the Baker's Dozen, then you aren't going to want to listen to anything any more.

The point is that all bands are different and you can enjoy different bands for different reasons without "they don't do what a band CAN do, therefore I'm not listening."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:28 PM   #29323
greykitkat36

Quote:

Youíre such a DMB apologist. I agree though comparing Phish to any band is silly. Theyíre in their own realm. That being said, all DMb needs to do to make us happy is mix things up more. They do it for like 3 shows abd then say fuck it. And itís frustrating
Old 11-04-2021, 03:58 PM   #29324
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
You’re such a DMB apologist. I agree though comparing Phish to any band is silly. They’re in their own realm. That being said, all DMb needs to do to make us happy is mix things up more. They do it for like 3 shows abd then say fuck it. And it’s frustrating
I also don't after 25 years expect them to be something they aren't. I don't not listen to shows then bitch about them. I don't look at an amazing show that everyone wants and say eh, it's not September. I also don't hang out on a message board when I don't like what they're doing, with a bunch of people who are still into them and say the same shit over and over again, much to the disappointment of 95% of the board instead of just moving on.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:03 PM   #29325
celluloid hero

I post on a message board, and I listen to the music because I still like the band. If I didn't, I wouldn't post, or go to the other side, or go post in a Phish message group. Why hang around and just be a downer about everything and make shit up.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #29326
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
I post on a message board, and I listen to the music because I still like the band. If I didn't, I wouldn't post, or go to the other side, or go post in a Phish message group. Why hang around and just be a downer about everything and make shit up.
Word.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 04:48 PM   #29327
dmb1981

Quote:
Even though I go up and down, re: positive and negative, I still love them and always will. If I didn't love the band, I sure as hell wouldn't post on a message board, which btw is the only message board I've ever visited or posted on, aside from guitar boards to get reviews on specific guitars.
Old 11-04-2021, 05:59 PM   #29328
kylebond13
soul singer in a session band

Quote:

The reason we all love bands is bc of what they can do that others can't or don't. Phish is light years more creative and exploratory than DMB. Most importantly, they put more time in to their craft. I think we'd all agree that DMB would benefit from more time together, practicing, coming up with ideas, trying to please the fanbase.

I didn't say I don't want to listen to DMB anymore. It's just that after 26 years of seeing them, they do not do enough to keep my attention. I am absolutely certain that moment will NEVER come with Phish -- bc they make sure that it won't.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:06 PM   #29329
gweeps
homesick android

Phish is Phish. DMB is DMB. Other bands and musicians are other bands and musicians. You like what you like. And not all the time. Go figure.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #29330
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebond13 View Post
The reason we all love bands is bc of what they can do that others can't or don't. Phish is light years more creative and exploratory than DMB. Most importantly, they put more time in to their craft. I think we'd all agree that DMB would benefit from more time together, practicing, coming up with ideas, trying to please the fanbase.

I didn't say I don't want to listen to DMB anymore. It's just that after 26 years of seeing them, they do not do enough to keep my attention. I am absolutely certain that moment will NEVER come with Phish -- bc they make sure that it won't.
YeahÖ we get it. You donít have to tell me anything about Phish. Iíve been to Halloween runs, New Yearís Runs at MSG, I was on the floor at Bakerís Dozen. Only 3 of my Phish shows are local, every other one was a travel show with effort and expense. Literally every single show from Bethel 2011 to Creek night 3 2021 I listened to, in order, and blind within a few days of the show. Including years of wiping tags with my eyes squinted so I could put the show on my phone without seeing the setlist before LivePhish+. Every single note. I was spoiled on about 5 songs in a decade and all of my friends know to never text me about Phish. The only poster hanging outside of my basement is a Trey Band foil from Austin in my living room. 2017 - 2019 I listened to probably 5 DMB shows I didnít go to.

You know why probably no one here knows that? Because Iím on a DMB board. I donít feel the need to come in and say that Iím not interested in listening to DMB any more, which maybe you didnít do, but my response about that was to someone else. Also, literally anyone who is a fan of any band would want their band to do things Phish does. But every single person who likes a band likes them for what they do. In the 70s, Dead fans probably wished Zeppelin varied their sets by more than one song on a 6-night stand.

Everything you said about DMB and Phish, you could have said about DMB and Phish in 1994. You either accept who everyone is 27 years later or you donít.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #29331
kylebond13

Quote:
which maybe you didnít do
Correct
Old 11-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #29332
kylebond13

I have no idea why :you: get so lit up about people bringing up Phish or questioning contemporary DMB. One situation is artistically vibrant, the other is not. I can still, and do, love both. Relax
Old 11-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #29333
DIDO36

Quote:
First of all, not having the desire to listen to dmb isn’t the same as “I don’t like the band”
Never said I don’t like the band. Just said in this moment I didn’t have the desire to listen to them. That’s two completely different things. It’s basically saying that the live phish experience was so fucking powerful that knocked out a band (DMB) that I probably listened to almost everyday for over 10 years at least. I guess that lasted about 3 weeks as I finally got some dmb in tonight. Whatever, I felt as if that was an observation worthy of a post in the dmbc.

Why does my opinion on dmb have to be a downer to anyone else? What I think about dmb shouldn’t have any influence on what others think. I’ve been on this board 6 years, and have been reading it since like 2013. Sure that’s way shorter than everyone else, but it’s still quite a while. I’m going to express my opinion here. The good as well as he bad. Nothing changed, my knowledge about dmb is still the same. Still plenty to discuss even if I hated the band (which I don’t)

I’ve seen the band 15 times. I’m what world does that translate to dislike lol? Btw I don’t think anyone posting here doesn’t like dmb. They just have expectations for the band, and are willing to call them out on it. Simple as that.

Actually looking forward to the broadcast in Columbus TBH

Last edited by DIDO36; 11-05-2021 at 04:00 AM.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #29334
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
You’re such a DMB apologist. I agree though comparing Phish to any band is silly. They’re in their own realm. That being said, all DMb needs to do to make us happy is mix things up more. They do it for like 3 shows abd then say fuck it. And it’s frustrating
Nobody’s really comparing dmb to phish. Not musically anyway. It’s just that dmb is capable of doing more then what they put out each tour. Exactly like you said in the last sentence. They come out for the first few shows, and mix it up. After that it’s the same the rest of the tour, for the most part. Also , the looming Dave favorites set is a possibility each night. Take a look at Jones beach 2018, or Nashville 2019. Why travel to different city’s all over the country for that? That’s all I’m saying. Why see them more than once? My last two shows were almost the exact same. Will I see them again? Probably. I’m really just going to catch a few good songs. Maybe a surprise or 2. I don’t hate them, but at the same time I probably won’t listen to them as religiously as a I once did. I think that’s a pretty fair point.

Last edited by DIDO36; 11-05-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #29335
TDunk

Just think how amazing Phish would be if they had actual songs that were great like Stone, DT or JTR
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 10:24 PM   #29336
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Just think how amazing Phish would be if they had actual songs that were great like Stone, DT or JTR
Not going to even waste my time with this

Last edited by DIDO36; 11-04-2021 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #29337
DIDO36

Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post
Sounds amazing without Rashawn stepping on him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are correct. Still frustrating that Rashawn overshadows Jeff so much. If you go back and listen to live trax 22 itís exactly how jeff should be used in this band.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:18 PM   #29338
DIDO36

I miss those long 41s. Now the song has very little improve
Old 11-05-2021, 06:47 AM   #29339
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO36 View Post
Nobodyís really comparing dmb to phish. Not musically anyway. Itís just that dmb is capable of doing more then what they put out each tour. Exactly like you said in the last sentence. They come out for the first few shows, and mix it up. After that itís the same the rest of the tour, for the most part. Also , the looming Dave favorites set is a possibility each night. Take a look at Jones beach 2018, or Nashville 2019. Why travel to different cityís all over the country for that? Thatís all Iím saying. Why see them more than once? My last two shows were almost the exact same. Will I see them again? Probably. Iím really just going to catch a few good songs. Maybe a surprise or 2. I donít hate them, but at the same time I probably wonít listen to them as religiously as a I once did. I think thatís a pretty fair point.

Thatís basically everyoneís point. Weíre not looking for DMB to be Phish or do even anything close to what they do. Phish has plenty of terrible songs too but they listen to the fanbase. Theyíre in tune with them. Almost seems like Dave likes to spite the fanbase and purposely play stuff he knows we hate. They give in here and there which is great, but itís frustrating when theyíll listen to a JTR chant and play it but then say ďbear with me, I like this song so fuck youĒ.

What keeps us around is that they show small flashes of finally opening up the catalog and theyíll play an amazing setÖabd weíre idiots thinking itís going to continue all tour. I still love the band, but no I donít think theyíve made any good music in the last 10 years nor do I think itís worth going to more than 1-2 shows per year.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #29340
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylebond13 View Post
Correct
Someone else did, and that comment was replying to them before you added in.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc