These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2021, 07:44 AM   #881
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
I donít understand how that could have happened.
I've sat here for about 45 minutes contemplating how that could happen, and the only concepts I could come up with is he's off the wagon, he burned a ton of money with all those death metal EPs and PaxAm stuff, or he had all his money invested and sold everything in late March 2020 (but even that doesn't make a lot of sense)
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:14 AM   #882
batleon

I mean I'm sure he lost a lot of money on that Rob Thomas thing back in the day.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:44 AM   #883
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I've sat here for about 45 minutes contemplating how that could happen, and the only concepts I could come up with is he's off the wagon, he burned a ton of money with all those death metal EPs and PaxAm stuff, or he had all his money invested and sold everything in late March 2020 (but even that doesn't make a lot of sense)
Probably D: he’s not actually broke and going to be homeless, and is doing this for attention / pity.

As far as off the wagon. Her certainly isn’t looking good. I checked in on his instagram a couple weeks ago and he is running everyday, but he has an unhealthy bloat to him. Maybe just meds.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:51 AM   #884
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I mean I'm sure he lost a lot of money on that Rob Thomas thing back in the day.

He should have had the type of money that is really hard to fuck up. If he did everything wrong, and leveraged himself / paid for everything out of pocket with PAX-AM, maybe. I canít imagine he lost anything on the Mandy Moore divorce (she would likely be worth more than him). But even then he should still have enough money coming in to cover living expenses. And comfortably. He wrote some massive hits that were used in movies, and covered by some big artists. I feel like I remember him saying he was set for life off of When The Stars Go Blue.

Old 07-29-2021, 09:38 AM   #885
TDunk

also last time he came thru it seemed like he was on a pretty decent sized tour and he was selling out. that should have netted him a few mil and that was only 5 years ago. i guess its possible his nut got too big.
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #886
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

He’s clearly have serious, public mental health issues. It’s a fucking mess.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #887
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

What I don’t get it how he was never advised/taught to buy a house. When the money was pouring in.

I think he should leave LA. Move somewhere cheaper. Get into rehab. His career doesn’t have to be over, but he’s digging a deeper hole every day. I’m very concerned this story is going to end badly. I don’t want to see that happen.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #888
suicide kills
gutshot and bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
He is saying he is broke and will be homeless soon if a label doesnít sign him
Gosh, you just hate to see it.

Or not. Fuck him.
suicide kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:14 PM   #889
.Gary.

This guy was riding high for a time with Neal Casal in the Cardinals. Man, I miss those days, early to mid-aughts with Ryan churning out album after album with a great fucking band backing him.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:25 PM   #890
suicide kills
gutshot and bleeding

Indeed, that was a hot shit band. Great for everyone, except of course any of the women he was terrorizing or manipulating.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:41 PM   #891
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Not sure anyone who ever came across Ryan Adams didn’t realize he was a shithead.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:54 PM   #892
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

A musician was shitty to adult women? Well fuck, I can never listen to him again!

If I stopped listening to musicians because they were shits - a lot of good music goes away.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:59 PM   #893
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
A musician was shitty to adult women? Well fuck, I can never listen to him again!

If I stopped listening to musicians because they were shits - a lot of good music goes away.
At a certain point people need to be adults. He is a sumbag who was using those women who were using him. A tale as old as time.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:09 PM   #894
suicide kills
gutshot and bleeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post

I used to cover a fair amount of his songs. I produced a local show of his once and drove him around town for the afternoon looking for Nintendo games and roller skates. I owned basically everything he'd ever released.

Haven't listened to a note since the full story dropped. Fuck him.
I love a good "all dude musicians are assholes" cop-out from some bros, but Ryan went well above and beyond that, leveraging exposure for sexual gratitude and threatening and harassing women. Dude's a piece of shit and I'm embarrassed that I gave him so much money over the years. You're welcome to make your own determination, but pretending like this was all run-of-the-mill stuff is either:
1. Downplaying what he did.
2. Accepting a whole lot about what men should be "allowed" to do to women.

I don't listen to R. Kelly, either.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:15 PM   #895
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide kills View Post
I used to cover a fair amount of his songs. I produced a local show of his once and drove him around town for the afternoon looking for Nintendo games and roller skates. I owned basically everything he'd ever released.

Haven't listened to a note since the full story dropped. Fuck him.
I love a good "all dude musicians are assholes" cop-out from some bros, but Ryan went well above and beyond that, leveraging exposure for sexual gratitude and threatening and harassing women. Dude's a piece of shit and I'm embarrassed that I gave him so much money over the years. You're welcome to make your own determination, but pretending like this was all run-of-the-mill stuff is either:
1. Downplaying what he did.
2. Accepting a whole lot about what men should be "allowed" to do to women.

I don't listen to R. Kelly, either.
I very rarely listen to him because he's gross, and I don't believe I'd ever see him perform again.

But I do think your downplaying the unfortunate history of misogyny and shitty behavior from professional musicians over the last fifty years.

Led Zeppelin wasn't all that different from what RA did. [Only registered users can see links.] , not to mention the bands we all know were disgusting like GNR, for instance.
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #896
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

If it took you until 2020 to learn Ryan Adams is an asshole, that’s on you.

Don’t call me a bro and don’t say it’s a cop out. I don’t give two shits if you like him or his music - and my interest in his music says nothing about my character. Fuck you for even suggesting that.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #897
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I very rarely listen to him because he's gross, and I don't believe I'd ever see him perform again.

But I do think your downplaying the unfortunate history of misogyny and shitty behavior from professional musicians over the last fifty years.

Led Zeppelin wasn't all that different from what RA did. [Only registered users can see links.] , not to mention the bands we all know were disgusting like GNR, for instance.
I would guess most famous musicians have done shitty things. Any musician I have followed enough to learn a good deal about, I have always heard some shit I find to be pretty bad. Men, by and large are pigs. Add fame, money, drugs and alcohol and you see some dark shit. That doesn’t excuse anything, but it certainly complicates taking a hard line stance on what music you’ll refuse to listen to. The reason most of these people are compelling in the first place is because there is a darkness there.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:22 PM   #898
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Also, comparing Ryan Adams to R Kelly is a fucking joke.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #899
.Gary.

Ryan Adams may be an insufferable little shit, but comparing him to R. Kelly is some wack moral equivocation.
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:40 PM   #900
suicide kills
gutshot and bleeding

Tell that to the underage girl he was trading messages with, knowing she was underage. ��♀️

Plenty of musicians have done plenty of terrible things. This was as close as I've been to it, and the person I'd put the most money towards. And as someone who teaches the young women musicians who are going out there into this shitty business, finding out just how twisted his shit was, that was a problem for me.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc