These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 10:45 PM   #1241
greykitkat36

I will say that having no concerts has saved me significant amount of money this past year. Like, a LOT. Hundreds of dollars to see Jimi again for the 30th time and YMDT for the 20th has been saved.

I miss shows, but I don't miss how pricey the experience is now overall, and I don't see how it's not going to be even pricier now so live nation and these venues can make back their losses. I mean for DMB with 2 people you're talking close to $200+ per person for the night (tickets, gas, food, alcohol, parking etc.) And I pretty much have to do 2 nights these days to be satisfied with myself, so more like $400+. Unless they're really showing a massive effort to really open up the catalog again, I may skip the next tour for the first time in a decade.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #1242
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
I will say that having no concerts has saved me significant amount of money this past year. Like, a LOT. Hundreds of dollars to see Jimi again for the 30th time and YMDT for the 20th has been saved.

I miss shows, but I don't miss how pricey the experience is now overall, and I don't see how it's not going to be even pricier now so live nation and these venues can make back their losses. I mean for DMB with 2 people you're talking close to $200+ per person for the night (tickets, gas, food, alcohol, parking etc.) And I pretty much have to do 2 nights these days to be satisfied with myself, so more like $400+. Unless they're really showing a massive effort to really open up the catalog again, I may skip the next tour for the first time in a decade.
I agree with everything but skipping the tour. Iíll do SPAC until they shut it down for good. Crazy expensive but the experience is always worth it.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #1243
Tomacco

A chunk of my 2020 concert ticket money is still invested in postponed dates, but I did save a lot of cash for sure in 2020. We did go to three drive-in concerts last summer though, given it was the only option.
The first one was at an actual old drive-in movie theater, and while they put a lot of effort into the experience and drive-in theme, they chose to make it so the sound was only patched in through your car speakers. But nobody actually wanted to stay in their car. Everyone wanted to sit in their trunks, on their roofs, etc. So you wound up with different sound sources blaring from multiple cars, plus the live drums on the stage itself echoing out of time with the cars. It was kind of messy.

The next two drive-in shows I went to were in parking lots outside two concert venues, where they simply erected a giant festival-size stage, with proper speaker stacks, and you had the option to listen to the live speakers or your car speakers. For both those shows, we got front row spots and stood beside the car. Those were actually kind of amazing experiences. It was like having a private front row box, with 6+ feet of space around you. I'd do those again (and I suspect it'll be my only option).

In terms of skipping a DMB show/tour, I can't imagine ever skipping my home show at least. Even if they decided to do a Stand Up 20th anniversary show in 4 years, I'd still go.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #1244
Steveo Style

You would think if they cancel the tour again this summer and give the option to reserve your seats (with them still holding your money) until 2022, that they wouldn’t be able to raise their prices. What are they going to do, ask for another $20 to hold on to them for another year? I don’t think so.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:56 AM   #1245
dmb2much40

Anyone have any insight into what other bands are doing in terms of refunding or rescheduling? I haven’t seen much.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:03 AM   #1246
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Anyone have any insight into what other bands are doing in terms of refunding or rescheduling? I havenít seen much.
I've got resceduled concerts for Roger Waters, Tame Impala, Alanis Morissette, David Gray, Pearl Jam, Decemberists, Dan Mangan, and DMB this year - and haven't heard anything. I'm guessing a bunch of money is about to come flooding back to me though.
Old 01-15-2021, 02:39 PM   #1247
blumathu

I have Pearl Jam and DMB. Pearl Jam was hard to get, I hope they don't refund that one. I think there is a good chance given that they haven't even chosen a replacement date.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:43 PM   #1248
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I have Pearl Jam and DMB. Pearl Jam was hard to get, I hope they don't refund that one. I think there is a good chance given that they haven't even chosen a replacement date.
Same. It took about 5 sales to finally get a pair, and it's not even a very good one.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #1249
shadowraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
My partner and I see about 40+ concerts a year (not just DMB) as a regular activity. I also see a handful with friends, sometimes as part of trips. So, this has been terrible for me.
Not to mention not being allowed to travel, go to restaurants and bars, movies, friends and familyís houses, or have them over to ours.
This has turned my lifestyle upside down. The people itís not affecting seem to be the homebodies with families (aside from the fact that they work from home and kids learn online of course).
I used to see 40-50 shows a year on my own, about a decade ago. Ever since kids and moving to the burbs this has diminished a lot and was only about 10 a year. Now of course it's zero. I would have been much more devastated a decade ago, but now i'm sad but i'm ok.

Shows seen - http://www.DMBAlmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=1485

I saw the last Angel.
shadowraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #1250
greykitkat36

I have no idea what they're gonna do. I don't see them refunding all the money, but they'll probably at least give people that option this year if they want.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #1251
shadowraven

my 5 2020 shows:

Girl Talk: postponed a year
Decemberists: postponed a year
DMB: postponed a year
Mandy Moore: canceled and refunded due to pregnancy
The Frames: postponed a year

I feel like all the postponed ones will be sent to 2022.

I saw the last Angel.
Old 01-19-2021, 03:18 PM   #1252
Steveo Style

Mandy Moore. What a babe.
Steveo Style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM   #1253
shadowraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo Style View Post
Mandy Moore. What a babe.
I've seen her twice, and met her at a sound check one of those times. Big crush on her years ago when her covers album came out. She's fun live.

I saw the last Angel.
Old 01-21-2021, 02:22 PM   #1254
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowraven View Post
I used to see 40-50 shows a year on my own, about a decade ago. Ever since kids and moving to the burbs this has diminished a lot and was only about 10 a year. Now of course it's zero. I would have been much more devastated a decade ago, but now i'm sad but i'm ok.
I started a spreadsheet in 1998 where I keep track of every show I've been to. I stopped at 512 last year. Got in Billy Strings at Tipitina's and the TAB tour closers. Had another 15-20 planned, including a ridiculously stacked Jazz Fest at Night lineup, before covid shut down. This has been pretty taxing on mental health without having concerts to go to, but at least the streams were great last year, especially on the Phish end.
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:03 PM   #1255
mario

Livenation is completely delusional. This is an email they sent out today.

I really didnít want to go there but: fuck these people. Nurses make $100k/year with full benefits. I donít feel sorry for them at all that they might catch a flu thatís not going to do anything to them. Such a stupid opportunity that theyíre fully exploiting to jerk themselves off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
The fact that they came outside in their scrubs - which theyíre supposed to be keeping as clean and ďuncompromisedĒ as possible - tells you it was virtue signaling in an attempt to go viral. Just like all of the dumb TikTok videos that bored nurses in empty hospitals have been putting together across the country the last few weeks
mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #1256
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Ah, If only we had smart, proactive leadership last year who listened to the science and the nation did what we had to do...maybe people could be going to concerts this summer. Another year gone!

Instead, a bunch of you get to drone on and on about it for another 6-12 months in the COVID thread....dang, if only.... see what I did there....
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:47 PM   #1257
.Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Ah, If only we had smart, proactive leadership last year who listened to the science and the nation did what we had to do...maybe people could be going to concerts this summer. Another year gone!

Instead, a bunch of you get to drone on and on about it for another 6-12 months in the COVID thread....dang, if only.... see what I did there....
Dang man, don't solve all our COVID problems all at once!
.Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #1258
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

All of the shows I had tickets for last year were just postponed. The exception was Joe Rogan. It was postponed twice and then eventually cancelled.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM   #1259
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
All of the shows I had tickets for last year were just postponed. The exception was Joe Rogan. It was postponed twice and then eventually cancelled.
Was this the show he was supposed to open with Chapelle?
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM   #1260
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
Was this the show he was supposed to open with Chapelle?
no just a solo show. It was originally going to be back in May. Then it was moved to November. Then February. Then just cancelled outright.

I still have tickets to see Chris Stapleton, Ron White, and Rage Against the Machine. Not expecting any of them to happen. Especially RATM. It's in NYC in August. They way they are going I can't imagine MSG will be at full capacity by then.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc