These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM   #15981
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs View Post
Deaths lag 10-21 days. These deaths aren’t from Delta.

If someone dies from a clotting issue, did they die from covid or clotting? Covid caused the clotting issue. They’ll draw blood and it’ll clot before they even fill a tube. Omicron isn’t mild.
Dude the CDC director came out last week and said these were overwhelmingly from Delta. You’re making stuff up again with no source whatsoever. One month ago at least half the country still had Delta.

It’s also convenient how throughout the whole pandemic you change how long you think deaths lag. One week it’s 10-14 days, then 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, up to two months: whatever supports your argument at the time.

Source for 10-21 days please?

When deaths start tanking the next 2-3 weeks you better not disappear like a fart in the wind (again).
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM   #15982
Josh.0

Pre-print shared by the CDC shows Omicron is 91% (!!!) less deadly than Delta. 91%! Dubs will completely ignore this, though.

Delta typically doesn’t even make it into the lungs, which is the whole reason it is far less deadly. These findings are consistent with data from across the world.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Omicron infections are associated with a 91% reduction in risk of death compared to the Delta variant, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday, citing a new Kaiser Permanente Southern California study.

The big picture: The study also showed that Omicron infections were also associated with a 74% reduction in risk of going to the ICU, as well as a 53% reduction in risk of being hospitalized, Rochelle Walensky said.
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #15983
zaphod!
for josh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofc View Post
Totally. Everyone knows the only objective truth comes from what a person on an internet message board claims their friend once told them.
anecdotes > data. feelings > facts.

this is the way.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #15984
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Pre-print shared by the CDC shows Omicron is 91% (!!!) less deadly than Delta. 91%! Dubs will completely ignore this, though.

Delta typically doesn’t even make it into the lungs, which is the whole reason it is far less deadly. These findings are consistent with data from across the world.

This is so interesting to me. Man, did we get REALLY fucking lucky. Beta was worse than wild type. Delta was worse than beta. If omicron had even been just equal to delta, the sheer volume would have done serious damage. This idea, coupled with the article I posted yesterday about just how head scratching the mutations on omicron are. It would be a pretty easy jump from, “this virus was created in a lab,” to “this virus was fixed in a lab.” But, this isn’t a movie. It certainly seems we got really lucky.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #15985
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
This is so interesting to me. Man, did we get REALLY fucking lucky. Beta was worse than wild type. Delta was worse than beta. If omicron had even been just equal to delta, the sheer volume would have done serious damage. This idea, coupled with the article I posted yesterday about just how head scratching the mutations on omicron are. It would be a pretty easy jump from, “this virus was created in a lab,” to “this virus was fixed in a lab.” But, this isn’t a movie. It certainly seems we got really lucky.
Or the virus was never all that deadly to begin with and the death number is highly inflated and is they’re being forced to kind or admit fault.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #15986
zaphod!
for josh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Or the virus was never all that deadly to begin with and the death number is highly inflated.
how did you figure out the death rate without algebra?
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #15987
cofc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod! View Post
how did you figure out the death rate without algebra?
Their friend told them
cofc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #15988
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Totally agree and I’ve had some similar thoughts.

I’m not sure that Delta was actually deadlier, for capita, than Beta though. I believe, IIRC, its higher transmissibility led to higher “spikes” in death, but if you were to boil it down to, say, deaths/1M cases, I believe it was less deadly.

But I could be wrong on that (the numbers specific to those two variants).

The same would apply to Omicron: if, say, 50K people died “from” Omicron over two months, and then it fizzles out into yet another less deadly (per capita) variant, is Omicron more or less deadly than a previous variant that kills, say, 200K people over six months?

Algebra, which a few people here claim to be good at, says no - Omicorn would be less deadly. 25K/month vs. 33K/month.

——-

(BTW, the above illustration way, way overstated the deadliness of Omicron. In the real world, if, say, Delta was killing 33K/month, Omicron would be killing 3K/month per the CDC’s numbers. That’s how we know deaths are about to tank. I’m making a larger point about how the media frames a significantly weakling virus as an increasingly threatening one by manipulating the way they report the data…and then our algebraic geniuses on TDC buy it hook, line, and sinker.)
Old Today, 08:29 AM   #15989
Dubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Dude the CDC director came out last week and said these were overwhelmingly from Delta. You’re making stuff up again with no source whatsoever. One month ago at least half the country still had Delta.

It’s also convenient how throughout the whole pandemic you change how long you think deaths lag. One week it’s 10-14 days, then 2-3 weeks, 4-6 weeks, up to two months: whatever supports your argument at the time.

Source for 10-21 days please?

When deaths start tanking the next 2-3 weeks you better not disappear like a fart in the wind (again).

Source for 10-21 days, every ICU nurse at Vanderbilt.
Old Today, 10:31 AM   #15990
Josh.0

Please elaborate on your connection to “every” ICU nurse at Vandy. Wife’s friends?

I love how the one time you’ll suddenly ignore the CDC is when it conflicts with your second-and-third hand connections to “all” () nurses in one unit at one hospital.
Old Today, 10:33 AM   #15991
Josh.0

Oh, meanwhile, on Vandy’s own website they note only 1/5 of their hospitalizations are COVID-19 patients.

Nice sample size there, Dubs. And nowhere do they list whether they’re Omicron or Delta. I’m sure that information is hung up on a refrigerator in the break room in the ICU though. No way you’d be assuming they’re all Omicron, Dubs. Or the droves of ICU nurses you apparently know. Surely they all know which strains each patient have, and then they notify you immediately when they find out.

Give me a break already.

Last edited by Josh.0; Today at 10:57 AM.
Old Today, 10:55 AM   #15992
Josh.0

BTW, here’s more from your WSJ article that’s cutoff by the paywall:

Quote:
Health experts say that Omicron generally causes milder symptom than previous variants. But the death count is high because Omicron spreads quickly and is infecting a large number of people.

“You can have a disease that is for any particular person less deadly than another, like Omicron, but if it is more infectious and reaches more people, then you’re more likely to have a lot of deaths,” Robert Anderson, chief of the mortality-statistics branch at the National Center for Health Statistics, told The Wall Street Journal.
This is exactly what I said yesterday. The minority COVID-19 deaths that are from Omicron are “high” right now only because of high transmissibility. But Omicron is still way weaker than Delta, which the article notes. Aka: if you look at deaths/1M cases, deaths are way lower than Delta.

This is why you know damn well deaths are going to drop fast in the coming weeks, whereas with Delta they went on for about a year. Are you going to disappear when they tank or are you going to come in and admit, finally, Omicron was much weaker than Delta and your panic that COVID-19 was going to get worse with each mutation was completely made up like your comments about how Delta was going to kill scores of kids was made up?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc